Non MassHoles Try To Pronounce MassHole Town Names

I have friends who live in Peabiddy and Woobin. (Peabody and Woburn).

My wife is from Taunton and they have a strange pocket of dialect. I can't even write a phonetic. Tunh (pause) ehn. They drop not only R's but
T's from the middle of words and substitute a brief pause. There is a kih-en with mih-ens in Tunh-en. There is a kitten with mittens in Taunton.

I like baked, stuffed quahogs which are pronounced Co-hogs round here. Simple and correct. In Rhode Island they become Kworh-haworhgs. Almost impossible
accent to duplicate. Like New York on steroids. Great fun to ask them to pronounce certain words.
Caw-hawg is how this Rhode Islander (and just about every other one I know) says it.

"Jeet yet?"
"Naw, goin' ta Rod's ta get three gaggas, all the way and a cawfee milk. Swingin' by Del's fo' a quot latah."

Music to my ears. I don't hear many RI accents here on the Cape, but I can identify one immediately. And we usually discover we are less than six degrees of separation once we get talking.

Ah...the rhotic 'R', and the glottal 'T'--it's all very similar to some British accents/dialects, you dozy sod. :giggle:

Last edited:
Can I ask a question?? WTF is wrong with people from up there??

don't yous staaht, Buffalo-Boy :p

a few examples of yous weird Buffalo taahkaahs.....

[...] Try this on expat Buffalonians who lost their eeYACKsints -- write "marry merry Mary" on a piece of paper, and ask them to say the words. The result is usually "Mary Mary Mary". Ask someone from some other city, and they'll say each word differently.
I lost most of my Buffalo accent years ago, and I don't know how to say "marry merry Mary" any other way than "Mary Mary Mary." Same thing with "Erin and "Aaron". [...]

[...] This is the best example of the Buffalo accent I can think of. In Buffalo the names Aaron and Erin are pronounced the same. The "eh" sound at beginning of words is not really pronounced up here. It's more like a nasally a sound instead of a true short e sound. You'll use the "eh" sound when saying "bed" but you won't use it when saying "Erin".

source:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Buffalo/comments/4cvk0c/good_ol_buffalo_accent/

Caw-hawg is how this Rhode Islander (and just about every other one I know) says it.

"Jeet yet?"
"Naw, goin' ta Rod's ta get three gaggas, all the way and a cawfee milk. Swingin' by Del's fo' a quot latah."

Music to my ears. I don't hear many RI accents here on the Cape, but I can identify one immediately. And we usually discover we are less than six degrees of separation once we get talking.

Ah...the rhotic 'R', and the glottal 'T'--it's all very similar to some British accents/dialects, you dozy sod. :giggle:

:rofl:
What's "Jeet yet" and what's a "gagga"?

"Jeet yet?"="Did you eat yet?" And a gagga is a wiener smothered in meat sauce with celery salt and topped with minced onions (all the way).

Lived in Mass since '72 and never heard such things! Fished out of Snug Harbor for years, too. Guess I gotta get out in the general public more

At times, my RI accent is a real crowd-pleaser here on this Cape of Cod. Throw in my Azorean and Italian pronunciations of certain dishes and food items, and the folks go wild :dance:. These swamp yankees have no idea how amusing they are to me as well. They can't say 'malassadas' so they call them dough boys or fried dough, but they couldn't be more wrong. Malassadas are huge, pillowy, airy, and crispy, eggy, cinnamony, sugary, and light confections made by angels.

At times, my RI accent is a real crowd-pleaser here on this Cape of Cod. Throw in my Azorean and Italian pronunciations of certain dishes and food items, and the folks go wild :dance:. These swamp yankees have no idea how amusing they are to me as well. They can't say 'malassadas' so they call them dough boys or fried dough, but they couldn't be more wrong. Malassadas are huge, pillowy, airy, and crispy, eggy, cinnamony, sugary, and light confections made by angels.

Sounds like the sopapillas drizzled with butter and honey I had in Albuquerque. Never had em that good since then.

"Jeet yet?"="Did you eat yet?" And a gagga is a wiener smothered in meat sauce with celery salt and topped with minced onions (all the way).

a wiener?!!??....in my old Boston neighborhood a "wiener" was a socially enept and/or athletically challanged kid :rolleyes:

now, a Hut Dug frum Joe & Nemos ("all-the-round") meant w/ mustard, relish & honions :po.com.jpg

All of the people I know from RI seem to have go-to stories about the time they got drunk (mandatory), went to Olneyville or
some sketchy dive at 2AM and the "chef" would line them up on his arm and the more he was sweating the better the gaggas with "fly sauce" (yum) tasted.

I assume this is some kind of exaggerated urban myth to horrify Massholes, but I'm not at all sure about that.

I'm also not clear if there is difference between gaggas, saugys and hot weiners. I have had a saugy ("soregee") watching the Pawsox. Is a saugy a gagga? Either way,
it was pretty gross.

When I lived in Rhode Island in the mid 70's used to go to Liberty Lunch Diner and enjoy their gagas. I still order coffee flavored syrup on line.

When I lived in Rhode Island in the mid 70's used to go to Liberty Lunch Diner and enjoy their gagas. I still order coffee flavored syrup on line.
Don't know if it's the same place or not, but a few years back my daughter took us to a Liberty Lunch in Pawtucket and had some terrific fish and chips.

Cheers

There are some angels making them here :drool:

View attachment 4867
I'll never forget the first time I had sweet bread.

A Portuguese family moved into our neighborhood when I was a kid and I started hanging out with their son. He
mentioned sweet bread and I'd never heard of it. His mother baked some up and I couldn't believe how good
it was. We bring a bunch of it along with linguica up to WNY whenever we visit.

Living in the South Coast of Mass. there is a large Portuguese population and one common way to do a fund-raiser
is "meat on a stick" night, which some folks have never heard of. They're all pretty much identical. You buy a tub
of marinated beef or pork for a few bucks and cook them yourself over a big fire pit on huge skewers. I've described this to
people not from around here and they don't really get it, but it's like this:

meatstick.jpg

I knew Jeet yet but never heard of a gagga. (Well, prom night but that's a different story) Also in Good Will Hunting they got 'Hamburger Sandwiches". Who tf says hamburger sandwiches?!
Don't care too much for hamburger sandwiches, but boy do I like them apples!

I knew Jeet yet but never heard of a gagga. (Well, prom night but that's a different story) Also in Good Will Hunting they got 'Hamburger Sandwiches". Who tf says hamburger sandwiches?!
Nobody.

Good Will Hunting is a pretty good movie with some flaws, including Robin Williams' painful attempt at a Boston accent.

About the only actor that got it right in a movie and wasn't from Mass. was Johnny Depp in "Blow". The guy nailed it, in my opinion, because
he figured out that we tend to slightly de-emphasize the famous "ahhhh" sound, especially when there are two Rs in a word. Hah-bah (harbor). You take a little off
the second syllable. Everybody else thinks about it coming, gives it a little too much "ahhh" and it never quite sounds authentic.

Mark Ruffalo was really good in "What Doesn't Kill You", too, but nobody saw that one.

Speaking of prom night, there is a great local comic named Christine Hurley who does a good bit about her Honeymoon.

She and her husband were staying in a bungalow on some Caribbean beach feeling like she
was really in an exotic port o'call and preparing to get busy when a female in the one next door
started yelling "Fuck me hahdah, Mahk!!!!" ......and that totally killed the mood.

However, that accent was recently ranked as the 2nd sexiest in the US (trailing Texas). The Providence twang
ranked 38th, although I'm sure BeagleBay has a legion of fans down the Cape.

All of the people I know from RI seem to have go-to stories about the time they got drunk (mandatory), went to Olneyville or
some sketchy dive at 2AM and the "chef" would line them up on his arm and the more he was sweating the better the gaggas with "fly sauce" (yum) tasted.

I assume this is some kind of exaggerated urban myth to horrify Massholes, but I'm not at all sure about that.

I'm also not clear if there is difference between gaggas, saugys and hot weiners. I have had a saugy ("soregee") watching the Pawsox. Is a saugy a gagga? Either way,
it was pretty gross.
A real Rhode Islander doesn't need to be drunk to eat gaggas (gaggiz). Haven Bros is tops for late-night, no-frills dining, and the state is dotted throughout with other diners and wiener joints.

Seeing a cook line 15-20 gaggas up his arm while adding meat sauce and onions is an experience you have to see to appreciate ;).

Saugys (sawgees) are hot dogs in a casing (like Kayem's or Deutchmacher), while gaggas and wieners are basically the same, excepting toppings.

Now I'm homesick :grumpy:

Last edited:
There are some angels making them here :drool:

View attachment 4867
There certainly are. That pile of pastry in the left-hand window is malassadas, and the sign to its right announces when the next fresh batch will be available to buy. I think they make them fresh every 2 hours or so. Cost about $3.00 apiece, and are worth twice that much. Every morsel made here is perfection, and the coffee is the real deal served steaming hot from air pots.

I you could find a 2nd baseman from England he'd nail all the names.
Er... as an Englishman watching that, you guys definitely pronounce some of those incorrectly.

Haverhill, I think, is pronounced HAYvuh- Hill and Leominster is LEM-stuh.

My guess? The Massachusetts pronunciations are closer to how they were pronounced back in the day.

it was pretty gross.
Yeah, we have a similar thing with Doner Kebabs. The takeaway places are generally still open after pub closing time, full of fatty meat and chili sauce, and messy.

Back