O BRIAN headed out?

A person with knowledge of the Penn State hiring tells USA TODAY that only contract details need to be finalized before O'Brien is the man.

Reported by Shalise Manza-Young.

Really? Why would anybody want that job right now?

Really? Why would anybody want that job right now?

Taking the Penn State job seems analagous to the guys in the nuclear cleanup industry who are hired to work on radiation cleanup until they have absorbed their allowed level of radiation. Then someone else is brought in to continue the cleanup until THEIR allowed level is reached.

Rinse and repeat.

Yeah, AWTE has thoroughly debunked the myth about Brady making the calls when they go no huddle. Even if their are hurry up times that Brady does do this, BoB was instrumental in building that package during the week.

BoB has become an asset this year, no two ways about it.

I've never fathomed the level of hate for this guy.

We are after all in the top 3 for Offense with GB and NO. It's not ALL Brady.

*don't attack me Mid-Rex!

I've never fathomed the level of hate for this guy.

We are after all in the top 3 for Offense with GB and NO. It's not ALL Brady.

*don't attack me Mid-Rex!

I think if O'Brien was offensive coordinator of a team without a brady type QB, his weaknesses would show up quite a bit more...Brady was Brady before O'Brien started calling plays. This offense was good before O'Brien started calling plays. I also put some of these slow starts on him for not being able to have a good gameplan in place until he has a quarter to digest it...that was never the way around here. So being 3rd in offense has way more to do with the players in this case, than the coordinator. I am not sure AWTE said he was making calls during hurry up, he said they had a structure in place already during hurry up, but Brady also is making changes at the line as well. I do not know what goes on during the week in prep, but I can tell you this team was already a great offense before O'Brien and if he leaves, they will still be great without him. I do not dislike the guy at all, but do I think he is the one that makes this offense? Not in the least.

I think if O'Brien was offensive coordinator of a team without a brady type QB, his weaknesses would show up quite a bit more...Brady was Brady before O'Brien started calling plays. This offense was good before O'Brien started calling plays. I also put some of these slow starts on him for not being able to have a good gameplan in place until he has a quarter to digest it...that was never the way around here. So being 3rd in offense has way more to do with the players in this case, than the coordinator. I am not sure AWTE said he was making calls during hurry up, he said they had a structure in place already during hurry up, but Brady also is making changes at the line as well. I do not know what goes on during the week in prep, but I can tell you this team was already a great offense before O'Brien and if he leaves, they will still be great without him. I do not dislike the guy at all, but do I think he is the one that makes this offense? Not in the least.

While everything you say may be somewhat true. I've notice that Brady doesn't seem to get into a rhythm until they go no huddle/hurry up. It could be a multitude of reasons starting with the injuries on the oline and trust. Whatever the reason Brady hasn't been as accurate in the conventional offense this year IMHO.

~Dee~

We started this year scoring TD's on the first drive in like the first 7-8 games I thought.

Then he developed bad gameplans?

Sometimes it just comes down to execution midgar, and BoB is not on the field.

We started this year scoring TD's on the first drive in like the first 7-8 games I thought.

Then he developed bad gameplans?

Sometimes it just comes down to execution midgar, and BoB is not on the field.

Oh I know that, my point is, if O'Brien leaves, I am not sure the world would end...to me as a coach he is a Jag. He might not be making us worse, but he is not exactly the reason that Brady is good or welker runs great routes or Gronk is big and can break tackles. I would bet they could all do that with or without O'Brien.

While everything you say may be somewhat true. I've notice that Brady doesn't seem to get into a rhythm until they go no huddle/hurry up. It could be a multitude of reasons starting with the injuries on the oline and trust. Whatever the reason Brady hasn't been as accurate in the conventional offense this year IMHO.

~Dee~

Not sure, but when its 2nd and 15 and we run a draw play, not sure that happens in the hurry up. Playcalling has been sometimes inconsistent especially in certain situations.

Not sure, but when its 2nd and 15 and we run a draw play, not sure that happens in the hurry up. Playcalling has been sometimes inconsistent especially in certain situations.

Yes. I understood the intent behind running a draw on 2nd or even 3rd and long as you're lined up in the shotgun and the defense is in the dime or dollar, but never really a fan of the call as we haven't used a RB that was fast or elusive enough to make that type of play work.

I was never a big fan of BOB anyway though his play calling has improved from last year or even the year before. I'm finding myself bashing BOB much less than I did a couple of seasons ago where everything was just boring and unoriginal. At this point, I don't want him gone but I don't mind it.

Though I still don't get the logic behind the 3 plays he called at the GL on Sunday's game, though. That was probably the worst play calling in the game.

Yes. I understood the intent behind running a draw on 2nd or even 3rd and long as you're lined up in the shotgun and the defense is in the dime or dollar, but never really a fan of the call as we haven't used a RB that was fast or elusive enough to make that type of play work.

I was never a big fan of BOB anyway though his play calling has improved from last year or even the year before. I'm finding myself bashing BOB much less than I did a couple of seasons ago where everything was just boring and unoriginal. At this point, I don't want him gone but I don't mind it.

Though I still don't get the logic behind the 3 plays he called at the GL on Sunday's game, though. That was probably the worst play calling in the game.

I understand 3rd and 15, as you are basically trying to catch offguard and you do not want to throw into a defense that is expecting it. I hate the 2nd and long and you run a draw....it just leaves you in a no doubt pass situation. Screen it, or do something over the middle...Not everything has been bad, but its been inconsistent and I am not sure how much is O'Brien's great play calls or its great players making plays with anything being called.

Oh I know that, my point is, if O'Brien leaves, I am not sure the world would end...to me as a coach he is a Jag. He might not be making us worse, but he is not exactly the reason that Brady is good or welker runs great routes or Gronk is big and can break tackles. I would bet they could all do that with or without O'Brien.

Calling BoB an asset in no way diminishes their ability to do those things.

Other times play calling has been great and Brady has missed his intended target or a pass was dropped or I could go on and on and on............ Players have got to execute and for whatever reason they aren't. Do you honestly believe that Brady doesn't have the authority to change the play at the line? Do you think he's given one option and no matter what the defense shows he's got to call that play? Again for whatever reason Brady is off with his throws and decision making when we play conventional offense this year for some odd reason. Not a knock on Brady just an observation.

~Dee`

Calling BoB an asset in no way diminishes their ability to do those things.

Not sure I said that, I just do not think he is any more of an asset than about 50 other coaches that could come in and do the same job. Not sure the world stops if he does not grace us with his greatness next year nor do I think the team that gets him turn into an offensive juggernaut.

Other times play calling has been great and Brady has missed his intended target or a pass was dropped or I could go on and on and on............ Players have got to execute and for whatever reason they aren't. Do you honestly believe that Brady doesn't have the authority to change the play at the line? Do you think he's given one option and no matter what the defense shows he's got to call that play? Again for whatever reason Brady is off with his throws and decision making when we play conventional offense this year for some odd reason. Not a knock on Brady just an observation.

~Dee`

Ah, so its Brady, thats the issue, not the playcalling. No, I don't agree, I have seen Brady with 3 different offensive coordinators. Brady threw for 5000 yards this season, 39 td's and completed 66% of his passes...so unless we did nothing by hurry up, I think he was not that off. I am not even saying Playcalling is bad, its just situation stuff. I do not think the gamplan to start games this year is worth a crap, adjustments have been ok. So if that is the players, what changed?

Ah, so its Brady, thats the issue, not the playcalling. No, I don't agree, I have seen Brady with 3 different offensive coordinators. Brady threw for 5000 yards this season, 39 td's and completed 66% of his passes...so unless we did nothing by hurry up, I think he was not that off. I am not even saying Playcalling is bad, its just situation stuff. I do not think the gamplan to start games this year is worth a crap, adjustments have been ok. So if that is the players, what changed?

I think they are just trying to say that it's not totally on BOB when Brady and the offense are called on to execute, and sometimes they just don't execute. Plenty of examples where it's apparent that it's on the play call and it's on the execution. If you call those horrible plays at the GL like they did on Sunday then sure, BOB. But if Brady throws the ball low twice and then Welker drops it, it's on execution. They're trying to deflect 100% of the blame away from BOB, which is valid and fair.

Not sure I said that, I just do not think he is any more of an asset than about 50 other coaches that could come in and do the same job. Not sure the world stops if he does not grace us with his greatness next year nor do I think the team that gets him turn into an offensive juggernaut.

Middy, you did say that. Whether you meant to is another issue with all the hyperbole that you use.

Middy, you did say that. Whether you meant to is another issue with all the hyperbole that you use.

No I did not say that, that is what you got from it. If I said that I would tell you. I am saying to you that these players do not need O'Brien as much as he needs them to succeed....now you can say I said that because I actually did. I said nothing about how good or bad the players would be with or without him, I said he is not bringing anything to the table in my opinion that could not be filled with a number of coaches. That is what I said...you can quote it. If you think I said something else, then thats on you. If I meant that, I would tell you.

I think they are just trying to say that it's not totally on BOB when Brady and the offense are called on to execute, and sometimes they just don't execute. Plenty of examples where it's apparent that it's on the play call and it's on the execution. If you call those horrible plays at the GL like they did on Sunday then sure, BOB. But if Brady throws the ball low twice and then Welker drops it, it's on execution. They're trying to deflect 100% of the blame away from BOB, which is valid and fair.

Thank you- This Middie.

~Dee~

Well every Qb in the league is going to throw a ball low, every reciever is going to drop the ball, every olineman is going to miss a block. That is not what I am saying, no coach in football history is going to stop that. What is making this offense 3rd in the league, the players or that fantastic playcalling by O'Brien? If you say both, I would not say its equal. I will say again, what is he bringing that could not be replaced by about 50 other coaches? This thread is about him leaving, if he leaves, will that really worry anyone?

Back