Official Boston Celtics/NBA Thread:

I just noticed I never answered this.

You realize, there's no one on the 92 team that could guard LeBron or Durant. Not even Scotty Pippen. Too slow and not strong enough to guard LeBron, and probably too short to guard Durant. Even a little. And they would have to put Jordan on Chris Paul, because he would absolutely destroy Magic and Stockton. And, oh yeah, Kobe.

See, Isaiah could guard Chris Paul no problem...but he wasn't on the team.

Anyway, I think the 1992 team would win, but I don't think it would be a blowout by any means. Remember Bird barely played, and Magic didn't play a ton more than that. I'd quite like to see Ewing and Howard match up, and I'd like to see how someone like Durant could handle Malone or Barkley down low (more Malone, Barkley's just too short in that matchup).

Even in their collective primes, the 1992 team was much slower than the 2012 team, in terms of pure footspeed. They were better shooters overall, but for as much "OMG92TEAMDEFENSEOMG" as you've heard, there's not a ton of difference between the two.

The 92 team had Jordan and Pippen on Defense, but the 2012 team has Lebron AND Kobe AND Dwight Howard - and you can put Lebron on literally anyone of the floor.

So, let's do it this way:

Shooting: 1992 (Not even close)
Scoring: 2012 (2012 team started 5 guys who could legit go for 30+ on any given night and could all (except for Howard) create their own shots. 92 team didn't)
Rebounding: 1992 (Barkley, Malone, Ewing, holy shit)
Defense: Even
Coaching: 2012 (<3 Chuck Daly, but it's Coach friggin' K)
Free Throws: 1992
Depth: 2012 (Despite all the Hall of Famers on the 1992 team, the 2012 team had dynamic, multi-faceted players at every position on the bench. The 92 team had one-trick ponies like Chris Mullin)
Experience: Even. The 2012 team played A LOT more internationally than the 92 team, despite all the championship experience of the 92 team. Not to mention, the rest of the world is a HELL of a lot better than is was 20 years ago. It is a different game, and the 2012 team played much tougher competition.

If I were to set a line, I'd say "1992 (-4)". But I don't think the 92 team would run away with it by any means. When I say "no one on the 92 team could guard LeBron", I mean it.

By the way, Christian Laettner would a) play and b) be a factor in this game. He was, essentially, Pau Gasol who took charges at this time. Not enough to crack the starting lineup, but I could see him coming off the bench and hitting a couple of threes, drawing a charge or two, and playing at least passable defense on a Durant or Kevin Love.

Fantasic breakdown, T.

I just noticed I never answered this.

You realize, there's no one on the 92 team that could guard LeBron or Durant. Not even Scotty Pippen. Too slow and not strong enough to guard LeBron, and probably too short to guard Durant. Even a little. And they would have to put Jordan on Chris Paul, because he would absolutely destroy Magic and Stockton. And, oh yeah, Kobe.

See, Isaiah could guard Chris Paul no problem...but he wasn't on the team.

Anyway, I think the 1992 team would win, but I don't think it would be a blowout by any means. Remember Bird barely played, and Magic didn't play a ton more than that. I'd quite like to see Ewing and Howard match up, and I'd like to see how someone like Durant could handle Malone or Barkley down low (more Malone, Barkley's just too short in that matchup).

Even in their collective primes, the 1992 team was much slower than the 2012 team, in terms of pure footspeed. They were better shooters overall, but for as much "OMG92TEAMDEFENSEOMG" as you've heard, there's not a ton of difference between the two.

The 92 team had Jordan and Pippen on Defense, but the 2012 team has Lebron AND Kobe AND Dwight Howard - and you can put Lebron on literally anyone of the floor.

So, let's do it this way:

Shooting: 1992 (Not even close)
Scoring: 2012 (2012 team started 5 guys who could legit go for 30+ on any given night and could all (except for Howard) create their own shots. 92 team didn't)
Rebounding: 1992 (Barkley, Malone, Ewing, holy shit)
Defense: Even
Coaching: 2012 (<3 Chuck Daly, but it's Coach friggin' K)
Free Throws: 1992
Depth: 2012 (Despite all the Hall of Famers on the 1992 team, the 2012 team had dynamic, multi-faceted players at every position on the bench. The 92 team had one-trick ponies like Chris Mullin)
Experience: Even. The 2012 team played A LOT more internationally than the 92 team, despite all the championship experience of the 92 team. Not to mention, the rest of the world is a HELL of a lot better than is was 20 years ago. It is a different game, and the 2012 team played much tougher competition.

If I were to set a line, I'd say "1992 (-4)". But I don't think the 92 team would run away with it by any means. When I say "no one on the 92 team could guard LeBron", I mean it.

By the way, Christian Laettner would a) play and b) be a factor in this game. He was, essentially, Pau Gasol who took charges at this time. Not enough to crack the starting lineup, but I could see him coming off the bench and hitting a couple of threes, drawing a charge or two, and playing at least passable defense on a Durant or Kevin Love.

this is great but I prefer the 1992 team because I liked those guys

Isn't the story that if Zeke was on the team #23 wasn't going to play? I don't think Bird liked him much either but I could wrong about that.

Yup. He was also the best Point Guard in the game at the time.

Yup. He was also the best Point Guard in the game at the time.
Doesn't matter if he was the best point guard in the game. It is a team game and if your team mates hate you then it just disrupts the team. For the record, Isiah was/is/ and always be an asshole. He deserved to be left off the dream team.

George Stephanopoulos while commentating at the Inuaguration today:

wrong.jpg

Good to see the Celts scratch & claw for the W today. Paul Pierce came up big.

It's going to be rough sledding the rest of the way.

Didn't watch the game today but shocked they pulled it out in OT.

Thinking the C's much like Rondo, are done for the season. I say let the rebuilding begin.

This team was not real good when Ainge pulled off the Garnett and Allen trades. I will be interested to see if he can pull off any beneficial deals from the hand he holds currently. Time to think about future years and forget about winning another championship with this group because it's not likely going to happen.

Didn't watch the game today but shocked they pulled it out in OT.

Thinking the C's much like Rondo, are done for the season. I say let the rebuilding begin.

This team was not real good when Ainge pulled off the Garnett and Allen trades. I will be interested to see if he can pull off any beneficial deals from the hand he holds currently. Time to think about future years and forget about winning another championship with this group because it's not likely going to happen.

Too bad this happened AFTER the trade deadline.

I really don't like the idea of getting rid of KG. I have really enjoyed having him as a Celtic. But I absolutely DETEST the idea of Paul Pierce in any other uniform. I wouldn't be able to watch the Celtics if they traded him.

I really don't like the idea of getting rid of KG. I have really enjoyed having him as a Celtic. But I absolutely DETEST the idea of Paul Pierce in any other uniform. I wouldn't be able to watch the Celtics if they traded him.

Yeah neither of those is what I want either. It was sad seeing Rondo yesterday watching the game, he looked more than just a little upset.

My mistake. Trade deadline is in a couple weeks.

Back