Official college Football thread

I'm not so sure Bama could beat either Oregon or FSU straight up.
Urban Meyer must be feeling pretty good.
Auburn outlasted A&M and probably took a huge leap up & A&M fell back a lot.

I believe Auburn was 24 prior to their game against A&M, so they moved up 13 points.

That was a fun game for me to watch being that I can't stand either A&M or Manziel.

I believe Auburn was 24 prior to their game against A&M, so they moved up 13 points.

That was a fun game for me to watch being that I can't stand either A&M or Manziel.

I don't think I like Manziel much either but he is a baller. It was fun for me bc I'm an AU Vet School grad.

Winston, QB Fla. St. NAMED DAVEY O'BRIEN QB OF THE WEEK Winston completed 22-of-34 passes for a career-high 444 yds & 3 TDs & ran for 1 TD
He's already an upgrade over EJ Manuels and he's only a redshirt freshman. (Some) FSU fans think he will only play two seasons for the Noles and who could blame him if he keeps playing like he has. Should be one of the top prospects whenever he enters the draft.

He's already an upgrade over EJ Manuels and he's only a redshirt freshman. (Some) FSU fans think he will only play two seasons for the Noles and who could blame him if he keeps playing like he has. Should be one of the top prospects whenever he enters the draft.

Jameis Winston has the highest 3rd down conversion % in the country at 67%. Followed by Manziel and Teddy B. These are the only three over 60%.

Shane Carden and Bryce Petty came in fourth and fifth. I watched some Carden recently - he's not a bad prospect.

Brett Hundley has really slipped, though. Was number one for a good part of this season, now he's 16th at 47.7%. Still not awful though.

But now...let's talk about Marcus Mariota. In terms of traditional third down conversions, he checks in at 33.3%. 77th nationally. This 1 stat may drop him in the draft. On fourth downs this year, he's completed 6 of 10. Only 2 good for 1sts. He's run for it on 4th down twice and neither attempt was successful. Oregon has attempted 20 4th down conversions and made 8 of them. That's 40 percent. That really isn't great. That 40% figure places them at 84th in the nation, tied with the likes of UAB, Ohio, and Houston.
https://twitter.com/Ethanhamm/status/394899115072831489
Bridgewater is third in conversion percentage at 61%. Louisville as a team, however, is first in the country at converting 3rds.

Hammerman is the twitter source of those college stats. I had more to put in that post but got called away before finishing it. (You don't think I did all those calculations, do you?) I don't know where he got them but I doubt he did the work either.

Ethan Hammerman ‏<s>@</s>Ethanhamm <small class="time">
https://twitter.com/Ethanhamm/status/394898850982686720</small>Jameis Winston has the highest 3rd down conversion % in the country at 67%. Followed by Manziel and Teddy B. These are the only three over 60%.

Shane Carden and Bryce Petty came in fourth and fifth. I watched some Carden recently - he's not a bad prospect.

Brett Hundley has really slipped, though. Was number one for a good part of this season, now he's 16th at 47.7%. Still not awful though.

But now...let's talk about Marcus Mariota. In terms of traditional third down conversions, he checks in at 33.3%. 77th nationally. This 1 stat may drop him in the draft. On fourth downs this year, he's completed 6 of 10. Only 2 good for 1sts. He's run for it on 4th down twice and neither attempt was successful. Oregon has attempted 20 4th down conversions and made 8 of them. That's 40 percent. That really isn't great. That 40% figure places them at 84th in the nation, tied with the likes of UAB, Ohio, and Houston.
That drops him under Stephen Morris and Gary Nova, among others.

Bridgewater is third in conversion percentage at 61%. Louisville as a team, however, is first in the country at converting 3rds.

Here's the rest of it, which is awkward in twitter format and I'm trying to get away from it even though it's much easier to copy and paste. Since it's twitter, read bottom to top.

1. Ethan Hammerman ‏<s>@</s>Ethanhamm <small class="time"> 17h </small>
    Overall, I need to watch a bit more Petty tape, but he has a great deep ball from what I've seen, good pocket presence, may be a sleeper.

Expand

2. Ethan Hammerman ‏<s>@</s>Ethanhamm <small class="time"> 17h </small>
    On third and 7-9, my personal favorite down and distance to evaluate QBs, Petty completed 9 of 12 passes this year - 7 firsts, two TDs.

Expand

3. Ethan Hammerman ‏<s>@</s>Ethanhamm <small class="time"> 17h </small>
    That number (14.7%) is good for 30th lowest in the nation, and shows that Petty tends to keep his eyes past the marker on third downs.

Expand

4. Ethan Hammerman ‏<s>@</s>Ethanhamm <small class="time"> 17h </small>
    Petty is a QB who throws past the marker consistently. The difference between his 3rd down competion and conversion %s is 14.7 percent.

Expand

5. Ethan Hammerman ‏<s>@</s>Ethanhamm <small class="time"> 17h </small>
    Even then, though, Petty HAS converted 3 3rd and 10+ plays out of nine attempts. That's not too shabby.

Expand

6. Ethan Hammerman ‏<s>@</s>Ethanhamm <small class="time"> 17h </small>
    Petty converts at over 50% at three of the four third down distances - on third and 10+, like most QBs, he has high comp. % but lower conv.

Expand

7. Ethan Hammerman ‏<s>@</s>Ethanhamm <small class="time"> 17h </small>
    There has also been a lot of buzz about Bryce Petty recently, so I'm going to dig into his numbers a bit more. Converts 53% of 3rd downs.

Stanford played power physical football & sent the Ducks home. Oregon came storming back but, too little too late.

FSU needs to thank Stanford for the help.

Stanford played power physical football & sent the Ducks home. Oregon came storming back but, too little too late.

FSU needs to thank Stanford for the help.

I read a great article 2-3 days ago and can't remem where or I'd post it. It said Stanford has specifically targeted it's recruiting for defensive players who match up well against Oregon. The article named the specific players they signed and described who on Oregon they would cover. Excellent article.

Stanford is a slower, less athletic version of Alabama. FSU vs. Alabama for the BCS title. I would prefer Oregon take down Ohio State to end OSU's potential claim to the championship (a la Auburn in 2004). I guess I'm counting on Oklahoma State to defeat Baylol to get them out of the picture - that conference (the Big 12-2+2-2) is such a joke this year, so I'll have to cross my fingers.

Florida is at their lowest point in 35 years. Losing to Vandy and it's not a fluke? They're looking up at Ron Zook right now. Urban Meyer knew what he was doing when he :wave:.

LSU and Alabama have seriously stacked rosters. Their talent level jumps off the TV screen. Mettenberger has a great arm but he can also pass with touch. McCarron isn't too shabby either. The TE Howard for Alabama runs like Vernon Davis. He smoked the whole LSU defense, which doesn't exactly lack athleticism. This game is fun.

Back