What kind of draft should we have?

• Live

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Auto

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man I am pretty jacked.

I can't wait for the draft. I just watched Field of Dreams (as I do every year when pitchers and catchers report). I freakin' love that movie. The part where Moonlight Graham gives up his dream to save the little girl gets me EVERY time. The night before Opening Day I always watch Bull Durham too. Rent these movies before the draft it'll make it that much better I promise!

Matt

We are currently at 10 teams that means we have room for 10 more Pat-fan-run teams. I will keep everyone posted on this!

Matt

Ottawapatty said:
Man I am pretty jacked.

I can't wait for the draft. I just watched Field of Dreams (as I do every year when pitchers and catchers report).

ROFL That's pretty diehard.

I love that movie too. I'm totally excited for baseball this year, and for the fantasy league. Every year it comes down to us versus the Assclowns. That's our season right there, just let us beat the assclowns. Every time I see some Clown holding that trophy I think, "that could have been me...." I can hear the chants now: Squirrels SUCK! Just makes my blood boil. So who do you think is going to tank first, Planet Nine or Needless Doom?

NoRespect said:
ROFL That's pretty diehard.

I love that movie too. I'm totally excited for baseball this year, and for the fantasy league. Every year it comes down to us versus the Assclowns. That's our season right there, just let us beat the assclowns. Every time I see some Clown holding that trophy I think, "that could have been me...." I can hear the chants now: Squirrels SUCK! Just makes my blood boil. So who do you think is going to tank first, Planet Nine or Needless Doom?

I'll admit in advance that I usually suck at Fantasy Baseball - just count yourself lucky I found the Planet AFTER the Fantasy Football League started! ;)

Although after reading that comment above NR, I do believe I will have to get in the Truck 'o Doom and run all over your 'Well Hung Squirrels' - can you say Road Kill? I knew that you could.

Guess I'd better hit the books :D

And yes....SQUIRRELS SUCK.....SQUIRRELS SUCK!! I will have a hard time rooting against the Assclowns, though -that's a name you just can't help but love

Annihilus said:
I'll admit in advance that I usually suck at Fantasy Baseball - just count yourself lucky I found the Planet AFTER the Fantasy Football League started! ;)

Although after reading that comment above NR, I do believe I will have to get in the Truck 'o Doom and run all over your 'Well Hung Squirrels' - can you say Road Kill? I knew that you could.

Guess I'd better hit the books :D

And yes....SQUIRRELS SUCK.....SQUIRRELS SUCK!! I will have a hard time rooting against the Assclowns, though -that's a name you just can't help but love

The Assclowns are playing for pride. The Assclowns are a wounded animal. Grrrrr! Beware the mighty Assclowns!

I'd have to vote for my Harper's Heros to tank first, I ussually do.

Hey here is the All-time All Star line up for the Assclowns

P Roger Clemens
C John Rocker
1st Hal Chase
2nd Dick Allen
3rd Cap Anson
SS A-Rod (Salary alone)
Catcher Mitch Meluskey
OF Albert Belle
OF Ty Cobb
OF Barry Bonds (I like him but others don't)
Manager Pete Rose
Owners: George Steinbrenner
Paul Loria w/ Expos

Oh wait this is the ******* All-time All Star Line up!! Sorry, although these are all up for debate!!!

NoRespect said:
So who do you think is going to tank first, Planet Nine or Needless Doom?

SQUIR-RELS SUCK! SQUIR-RELS SUCK!

You best not start woofing about the Lost Planet Nine just yet, buddy boy.

Wait until I draft my team of useless idiots before you start that crap with me. ;)

I'm working on my team logo and uniforms and they will be like nothing ever seen in baseball. I'm planning on introducing English-soccer-style chanting and singing to intimidate the opposition combined with passing out free megaphones to the first 1000 virtual fans thru the gates. Your friggin' well-hung squirrels don't stand a chance.

I'm not just scouting this planet for talent, but am searching all over the Galaxy in a quest to bring a trophy back to the Lost Planet.

I don't want to reveal too much right now, but I'm close to signing a pitcher from the Horsehead Nebula that has four arms and throws four different pitches with each.

Come to think of it, we need a virtual trophy to shoot for. Since there is no money riding on this thing we need a creative trophy fit for our first entry into fantasy baseball.

Since it was my idea, I'll do it. This might be interesting.

Ottawapatty said:
I'd have to vote for my Harper's Heros to tank first, I ussually do.

Hey here is the All-time All Star line up for the Assclowns

P Roger Clemens
C John Rocker
1st Hal Chase
2nd Dick Allen
3rd Cap Anson
SS A-Rod (Salary alone)
Catcher Mitch Melusky
OF Albert Belle
OF Ty Cobb
OF Barry Bonds (I like him but others don't)
Manager Pete Rose
Owners: George Steinbrenner
Paul Loria w/ Expos

Oh wait this is the ******* All-time All Star Line up!! Sorry, although these are all up for debate!!!

Mitch Melusky? Who the bleep is he?

Haha I didn't know many asses that have caught, I thought of Yogi (but I never really knew why) and I thought of Piazza (just for the Pert Plus commercials) so I googeled it and found

http://twinstakes.bonnes.com/member...474EE3F0CB53673708256B59006A568F?OpenDocument

Mitch Meluskey is 2nd on the list, but that isn't his OPS from 2001 (like the others). That's his career OPS. He didn't play in 2001 for the entire year and that's the second year in the last three that he's missed. But there aren't a lot of tears being shed - he's supposedly a jerk of Rockeresque proportions, which is why the Astros traded him to Detroit in the first place.

On ESPN they wrote "He also has a combative personality that often does not sit well with his teammates, limiting his leadership ability as a catcher."

At last I found the reason from the 2000 season,

One of the hardest hits by the Houston Astros on Sunday came an hour before the game, outside the batting cage. Astros rookie catcher Mitch Meluskey punched teammate Matt Mieske during batting practice, the latest headache for Houston in a season gone awry. Mieske was cut over his left eye. The fight happened about an hour before the Astros' latest defeat, a 4-1 loss to the San Diego Padres in which the Astros were held to four hits. Several hundred fans were already in the stands, and some Astros veterans clearly were unhappy about the fight. According to witnesses, Meluskey was late for his turn in the batting cage and he jumped in ahead of Mieske. The two exchanged words and Meluskey hit Mieske when the two were outside the cage. Meluskey was hustled away and Mieske was treated on the ground. Mieske refused comment, telling reporters: ``I don't think it's any of your business.''

A rookie player punching someone over BP is pretty assholish! Is there a more promient Catcher if so remind me!

The flaming jackholes have arrived. I played fantasy baseball last year and sucked, but learned alot; so be very afraid. My league last year had fewer teams and fewer players, and the draft was about 2+ hours long. I expect this draft to be at least 3 hours so be sure to drink plenty of fluids.

Hawg73 said:

You best not start woofing about the Lost Planet Nine just yet, buddy boy.

Wait until I draft my team of useless idiots before you start that crap with me. ;)

Come to think of it, we need a virtual trophy to shoot for. Since there is no money riding on this thing we need a creative trophy fit for our first entry into fantasy baseball.

I figured I have to get my talking out of the way now because as soon as this thing starts my ignorance of "fantasy baseball" will be painfully obvious. When it comes to baseball, or any sports for that matter I mostly tend to follow my team. I couldn't begin to tell you anything about the Reds for example or the Angels and I don't have too much concern for stats. In other words, the only way I can win at this is by the most outrageous good fortune. Which, still could happen. (I believe I was winning for awhile at fantasy football with Chad starting in a cast).

But honestly, I have no clue how this draft works, or how to rank players. Do you simply try to have the best offensive production at each position? Does pitching figure into it? How are the statistical categories weighted in our league?

I like the idea of a virtual trophy, or perhaps there could be a penalty for losing? >)

Bumping, the league so far:

Bandwagon Jumpers -- bideau
Flaming Jackholes -- bighit26
GAETTISGODFREAKS -- MrSteel
Assclowns -- Pookie
RyansRockets -- Nomah
Toxic Zombies -- PSC_Pats_fan
The Lost Planet Nine -- Hawg73
Well-Hung Squirrels -- NoRespect
Chowders Champs -- Chowder35
Needles of Doom -- Annihilus
Bongomonkeys -- nepatsfan93
Harper's Heros -- OttowaPatty

8 more spots available.

Welcome Jackholes! Experience is no substitute for lack of planning. Don't count those chickens just yet. ;)

OK, I'm in.

Bandwagon Jumpers here. Never done fantasy baseball before. Should be interesting.

bideau said:
Never done fantasy baseball before.

Neither have I bideau. Should be interesting indeed. I'm relying on Nomar's help.

pookie said:
Neither have I bideau. Should be interesting indeed. I'm relying on Nomar's help.

You guys are all a bunch of liars aren't you? You've probably won multiple championships and were waiting for the day you could set us up by posting very nice sounding messages on PatriotsPlanet for a year or two before jumping on and crushing us unsuspecting victims in fantasy baseball.....

Rookies indeed.

Quote:
But honestly, I have no clue how this draft works, or how to rank players. Do you simply try to have the best offensive production at each position? Does pitching figure into it? How are the statistical categories weighted in our league?

If it's rotisserie scoring like I think it is then I'll try to explain.

There are many categories ie; runs, hits, home runs, steals, walks etc. Also piching stats wins, saves strikeouts etc.

Here's a hypothetical scoring situation. Suppose there are 12 teams in the league. Also suppose your team leads in runs, is 4th in hits and last in homers. you would receive 12 points for runs (second place would get 11, third would get 10 and so on.) With a 4th place in hits you would get 9 points, and a last place in homers would get you 1 point. The points are then added up and that's how ranking happens.

As for advice: personally i think it's better to have a more well-rounded team so you get some points in most areas, as opposed to domination in a few areas. In my only previous fantasy season I had 3 great closers, and 2 basestealers. I won those 2 categories hands down but finished next to last in most others. As a result I finished in 9th place out of 10 teams.

Back