OT: Cloverfield

You know, I told hubby just today, the ads for that movie have me intrigued. Wanna see it. Even though I have no idea what it's about.

Clever marketing.

cka203 on 01-18-2008 at 10:15 PM said:

Clever marketing.
Agreed - and that's why I want to see it.

There's been an awesome viral marketing campaign behind this flick.

I guess it also only had a $30 million budget - which is chump change for Hollywood. My hope is that they DO keep you in suspense and not show you the monster at every turn. I like being scared out of my wits with anticipation. You know, like in other movies such as....

JAWS??!!!

I gotta ask, what's a "viral" marketing campaign??? Can I catch it from toilet seats and doorknobs???

Also, captain_insano, were you looking for a trailer for the movie?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IvNkGm8mxiM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IvNkGm8mxiM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I went to see it tonight. IMO it was a great flic well worth the money. Definately one that you want to see on the big screen.

cka203 on 01-18-2008 at 10:15 PM said:
You know, I told hubby just today, the ads for that movie have me intrigued. Wanna see it. Even though I have no idea what it's about.

Clover marketing.

Fixed it for ya cka. :thumb:

Personally, I was disappointed in it.

Thought they had a great concept idea, but just didn't execute it very well. For one thing, I was distracted by them going WAY overboard with the camcorder idea. The wife spent half the movie getting motion sickness.

Not sure if it was that distracting me, or something else, but I could never get into it. Never felt any fear, or anxiety, or sadness, or anything other than watching a movie. It just didn't pull me in.

The JJ Abrams touch at the end of the credits was cute, but overall, I just wasn't impressed. And for the record, I was looking forward to it for 5 months.

kwantam on 01-18-2008 at 05:07 PM said:
All,

If, like me, you're excited and nervous for Sunday's game, might I suggest taking your mind off it by going and seeing the movie Cloverfield, released today.

I went to a midnight showing last night and I'm convinced it was the most intense movie I've ever experienced. You are not watching the action, you're IN the action, and it's freaky and cool as hell.

I'll warn you: if you suffer from motion sickness, this movie will probably make you uncomfortable, since the premise is that it's being filmed through the camcorder of one of the characters.

But really, if you like INTENSE movies, go see this. You'll like it.

-=kwantam
I wanted to see it, but I heard that the movie gets lame once they reveal what the "monster" is. Is that true? I may have to go watch it because I'm going to be a wreck tomorrow and I'm going to need something to take my mind off of the game.

Re: Re: OT: Cloverfield

krayziebone33 on 01-19-2008 at 10:58 AM said:
I wanted to see it, but I heard that the movie gets lame once they reveal what the "monster" is. Is that true? I may have to go watch it because I'm going to be a wreck tomorrow and I'm going to need something to take my mind off of the game.

The movie's really not about the monster, more about them trying to survive the situation.

Geez this kinda all reminds me of what watching I am legend was like? Did anyone see both? Are they similar?

GFY1401 on 01-18-2008 at 05:16 PM said:
What is it even about?

There's this thing, and it's like, causing a ruckus, and people are scared, and they're like "oh noes! It's some kind of thing that's destroying stuff! I'm really scared of that... uh... THING! I better run away because I'm really scared of that thing that's destroying stuff!"

And that's about it. SF87 is really starting to get pissed off and is expecting the worst. When your whole marketing strategy is "we aren't going to tell you what this movie is about! Aren't you curious and in suspense now?!" instead of the actual entertainment value of the movie, SF87 figures that's not a good sign. It kind of reminds SF87 of how Ralphie's favorite radio show has that secret decoder ring message, and you have to buy enough ovaltine to get the ring, and then when he does, it turns out it's just an ovaltine commercial. Playing on people's curiosity rather than the actual entertainment value of what you're advertising is a pretty good sign that your movie isn't good enough to get people to watch on it's own.

JD10367 on 01-18-2008 at 08:40 PM said:
Great. Another #$*%ing handheld "art-film" movie that will make me motion sick. Let's hope they get it done better than the last ding-a-lings who tried it.

(And, yes, this is my 10,000th post. Whoop de #$&*ing do. Who gives a crap. Life is measured in quality, not quantity. The fact that I'm a Post Whore doesn't count for much. Screw me! GFM!)

OT: I have no idea why that putrid piece of crap was considered anything other than moronic.

Let me summarize.

Walk in the woods, get lost, hear weird noises far in the distance, run around some more, find an abandoned house, shake the camera around and end film.

Considering the behavior of those people in the latter part of the film I seriously think they should be nominated for a Darwin Award.

Survivor rule # 1, if lost and trying to hike out, follow the river.

You'll have water and water flows down hill. Since cities, towns, civilization is most often built along the banks of a river, you've got a very good chance of running into something eventually.

Survivor rule #2, look at the ^%#@* sky to get an idea of directions. The sun rises in the East and sets in the West. If you know that you need to move mostly in a Northern, Southern, etc. direction to get out of the woods, then figure out which direction that is and walk that way.

If you have an analog watch, it can work as a compass. Point the hour hand at the sun and halfway between it and the 12 is due South (in the Northern hemisphere, due North in the Southern). This works for standard time, if your watch is set to day light savings time, adjust the hour appropriately.

Even on a full overcast day, you can get a rough idea of directions this way.

Re: Re: Re: OT: Cloverfield

Moebius on 01-19-2008 at 12:29 PM said:
The movie's really not about the monster, more about them trying to survive the situation.

Oh, okay. Have you seen it, though? Is it worth the money, or is it a "wait for it on DVD" movie?

Good question Kbone. I would also have to talk the fiancee into it...otherwise it is Bucketlist for me tonight...fair trade for the AFCCG tomorrow...and I love Jack Nickleson and Morgan Freeman...two great actors involved in phenominal Batman movies!

Re: Re: Re: Re: OT: Cloverfield

krayziebone33 on 01-19-2008 at 02:19 PM said:
Oh, okay. Have you seen it, though? Is it worth the money, or is it a "wait for it on DVD" movie?

From the folks I'm talking to, it's a 50/50 shot, love it or hate it. Well maybe not entirely true. I didn't hate it exactly, but was supremely disappointed.

As for worth it in the theater.... tough call. Matinee maybe. I'm big on the whole "big screen" experience, so I tend to see most things in the theater when I can.

On a side note. If the camera work idea in Blair Witch got to you, avoid this in the theater. If the fight sequences in Bourne Supremacy (the second one) got to you, avoid this in the theater. If you get motion sickness even remotely easily, for the love of God, avoid this in the theater.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OT: Cloverfield

Moebius on 01-19-2008 at 03:52 PM said:
From the folks I'm talking to, it's a 50/50 shot, love it or hate it. Well maybe not entirely true. I didn't hate it exactly, but was supremely disappointed.

As for worth it in the theater.... tough call. Matinee maybe. I'm big on the whole "big screen" experience, so I tend to see most things in the theater when I can.

On a side note. If the camera work idea in Blair Witch got to you, avoid this in the theater. If the fight sequences in Bourne Supremacy (the second one) got to you, avoid this in the theater. If you get motion sickness even remotely easily, for the love of God, avoid this in the theater.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will catch the matinee. I just need to do something that takes my mind off the game for a few hours tomorrow; otherwise, I don't know if I'll make it to gametime without losing my mind. I've already seen "I Am Legend" and "The Great Debaters," so I need something else to see. I figure that even if this movie is not too good, its still better than anything thing other than the two I saw already.

I saw it and enjoyed it, but it could have been done much better. It was pretty intense but some parts disappointed me, like the end

I was happy about how they designed the monster, it was actually pretty creepy and didn't look like a Godzilla rip-off

I have a question though, i keep hearing about something that happens after the credits, i didn't stay for it, was it something important?

aceofspaide on 01-19-2008 at 03:15 PM said:
I have a question though, i keep hearing about something that happens after the credits, i didn't stay for it, was it something important?

Not really important, or even very surprising.

Basically, it's Hud's voice saying something indistinguishable, but in true JJ Abrams fashion, it's a clue. Play it backwards and he says "It's still alive."

I just saw it and i have to say

WORST ENDING EVER

ugh after the ending i wanted to just go demand my freakin money back

Damn you guys. I've been so looking forward to seeing this movie and after reading all this, I feel like a) a huge simpleton for wanting to see such a lame movie and b) I'm ready to be hugely disappointed.

pookie* on 01-19-2008 at 05:54 PM said:
Damn you guys. I've been so looking forward to seeing this movie and after reading all this, I feel like a) a huge simpleton for wanting to see such a lame movie and b) I'm ready to be hugely disappointed.

Expect the worst. Then it can only get better.

I was looking forward to it for 5 months myself.

Back