OT: Dragon Age: Origins

I thought that was an FPS? Can I put my guy in third person view?

I've seen the reviews, it's been out there forever.. but believe it or not, I've never tried it.
CRAP! I meant Fallout (which is by Black Isle, who did Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate.)

And it is, indeed, FTW.

I hate FPS games.

You also might enjoy Arcanum, which was set in the steam age, but a magical world. Technology was just coming into its own, and forcing magic into the back seat in terms of both everyday life and combat. Very interesting.

Best story for any RPG I've ever seen is Planescape: Torment, ALSO by Black Isle. I mentioned this in another thread while ago, but while it took me awhile to get into it, I actually cried at the end, and hard a hard time sleeping that night. Just total melancholy and hopelessness, like top notch fiction pulling at a bunch of different emotions at once. It's worth playing the game just for the story.

Plus, the soundtrack is friggin' awesome - haunting as hell. It was running through my mind forever.

What, there's not much space themed games out there?
Not RPGs. RPGs are almost all sword-and-sorcery with the (kind of) exception of the Final Fantasy series, which 1) suck a tremendous amount of ass (at least the ones I played; 2) are Japanamation, which I hate; and 3) are just sword, sorcery, and bazooka/technology.

Cripe! What's an RPG versus a FPS?

And how is it that you get addicted to them, Flagg?
RPG = role playing game. Old style pen-and-paper role playing games would be like Car Wars, Dungeons & Dragons, Marvel Superheroes, or more generically MURPS. They were a lot of work and super-dorky...and really only fun if you took it to the max, which was even dorkier. I could appreciate how they could be fun with the right group of people and LOADS of time as a group (read: college dorks), but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Computer RPGs are fun & lazy, and you can be dorky in private.

You get addicted in the same way you get sucked into a book, except you ARE the main character. And sometimes you have to keep trying to get one part of the plot conflict correct over and over again. You want to see what happens next. But unlike a 1000 page novel that is probably 15ish hours of reading time, a game like this is maybe 30 or more hours of playtime - some much more.

And that doesn't include replays - there's usually tons of stuff that you miss the first time through, trying new strategies to do different things (play as a warrior vs. a wizard vs. a healer vs. a thief vs. a technologist or something), different computer controlled players to add to your party and learn their side stories, often even multiple (sometimes 3-5) different game endings depending on how you play and choices you make, etc.

People get really hooked into the online RPGs which range from all text to World of Warcraft (aptly nicknamed World of WarCrack). I tried some of the older online ones (mostly text-ish stuff), but never got too into it and certainly was never going to pay a monthly charge or whatever to play it. Besides, from people I've talked to it actually became a responsibility to schedule times for raids and nonsense like that.

The main reason the online versions never attracted me is because you really lose the story/plot aspect of it. That's why I played, and that's all gone in the multi-player environment - there are storylines and interactions, but no real plot arc, or main characters, etc.

Bummer for you, because loving RPGs but not being a fan of dragons and wizards sort of limits the options. I wish they'd make more space themed and post apocolyptic RPGs.. but those always seem to have a first person shooter element and I hate FPS games. The graphics on the PC on max are pretty awesome.. I have to agree with that.

you definitely have a point there... but I really gave the game a chance. Played about 15 hours of it and I ended up not being able to grip on. It's the same way I can't get into World of Warcraft, but love the Metal Gear series though.

What, there's not much space themed games out there?

Never enough space themed games!!

I think the world could use a World of Warcraft type game set in the future in space.. where you can travel around the universe and blow up alien races.. have your daughter get started on that please. :D

Half Life Orange Box FTW.
Awesome value. Half Life 2 is one of the best games ever made.
Portal is a really good game too. And GLADOS song at the end is a must listen. I played Portal with the director comentary on and its really interesting to hear what went into some of the design choices.
The cake is a lieROFL
A team of moders have been working on remaking the original Half-life from scratch using the Source Engine. I think they are calling the game Black Mesa. It will be a free download to whomever owns a Source engine based game. So if you own any of the half-life episodes or team fortres or portal all you have to do is click Download now. I think it will be avaiable on Steam but don't quote me on that.

As far as third person, space based, RPGs I'd say Mass Effect is a must. Also check out Knights of the Old Republic. Both are made from Bioware, the same developer that made Dragon Age:Origins.

Not RPGs. RPGs are almost all sword-and-sorcery with the (kind of) exception of the Final Fantasy series, which 1) suck a tremendous amount of ass (at least the ones I played; 2) are Japanamation, which I hate; and 3) are just sword, sorcery, and bazooka/technology.

you never played Final Fantasy 7, have you? Or 9, or 10...

Those games are among the greatet I've ever played

There's a massive new Star Wars RPG launching soon. Should get Jaric suckered in, IMO :)

Star Wars: The Old Republic, by Bioware. Its going to be an MMORPG based on the Knights of the Old Republic game universe. I think the MMO is set 300 years after KOTOR wich was set about 2000 years before the movies events.

CRAP! I meant Fallout (which is by Black Isle, who did Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate.)

I wanted to play Fallout 3 and Mass Effect, but AFAIK, you are limited to using the keyboard WASD for all movement.

With my neuropathy, I can't play a game that way. That's one of the reasons I got DA:O, is that you can play it only using the mouse. However, I will admit it's taking a bit of practice to get used to using the right click instead of the left click.

Thank god the space bar is still pause so I can correct my stupid first instinct :doh:

Oh and if you get the game, make sure you download the stone golem add on and run that quest ASAP. He is not only a perfect "tank" fighter, but is one of the funniest NPC's since Minsc.

Also, be sure to go to the "social network" forum and check out some of the user made addons.

Third, there is a stand alone character creator you can down load. Use that to make your character and import it into the game. That's the only way to get the special ring they mention in the promo literature. I didn't understand that when I started.

I had to check, because I was sure I recognized Moriganne's voice. It is Claudia Black.

I was really interested in this game, but I've heard alot of mixed/bad reviews. Maybe I'll give it a rent before I decide whether or not to buy it

lol wut? Put it this way, if you liked RPG games like NWN, you will love Dragon Age.

Back