OT: Mickey Rourke in "the Wrestler"

groganfan

Troll killer
Reaction score
Sad movie, but it's good. I think Mickey Rourke should win an Oscar for it. It's about an aging wrestler named "Randy the Ram" who is down on his luck. He does small house shows, and works part time at a super market.

Marissa Tome plays his kinda, sorta girlfriend. She works at a strip club that Rourke goes to. They're attracted to eachother, but she keeps her distance, because she says she doesn't want to date a costumer. She also has a kid she has to raise, and so she thinks a relationship with Randy will take away from that.

Anyways, Randy suffers a heart attack, because of the stuff he does to his body. The doctors tells him that if he were to wrestle again, then he may die. Randy starts to feel lonely. He has nobody to turn to, so he goes to his stripper girlfriend and she says to go see his daughter.

Randy is estranged from his daughter, and she hates him. He goes to see her and she won't have anything to do with him. He's persistent and he gets his daughter to let him hangout with her. He pours out his heart to her and they start to bond, but then Randy screws up.

I saw the movie online, because this isn't a widely released. When it comes out on DVD I'm most likely will get it. It's good, it's heart wrenching, and it's real. It's one of those small intimate movies. No sappy Hollywood endings here. It's genuine. The wrestling matches looks good. They don't look cheesy. In fact, there's a hardcore match in there. You also, get an "inside look" on how wrestlers may plan how they are going to play out the matches.

For those who like those kind of movies, I recommend go seeing it. Given that you're lucky enough to find a theater that shows it. Like I said before Rourke should win an Oscar for his performance as "Randy the Ram."

As a big fan of the 80's/early 90's wrestling, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing this one. Unfortunately I haven't seen it advertised anywhere near here.

I love Marissa Tome..

that's good! you get to see her nekkid in this film. she still has a hot bod! :)

maybe I go check this movie out. The last wrestling movie I went to see sucked.

maybe I go check this movie out. The last wrestling movie I went to see sucked.

The only other wrestling movie I can think of is No Holds Barred. If that's the movie then I wholeheartedly agree with you.

God, Marisa is a sweetheart. The movie is good. More than good.

EDIT: Mickey is on the verge of becoming a caricature of himself, but he is amonsgt the best actors of our time. That he hasn't received an Oscar yet is a bit of a travesty. He's getting his dues in retrospect.

@nd edit: which he has a propensity to do, so?

You've Come A Long Way, Baby. Congrats On Golden Globe! MICKEY ROURKE ROARS BACK
New York Post......"I DON'T think I deserved a Golden Globe. But stick with your dreams!" That was "The Wrestler" him self - Mickey Rourke

Marissa Tomei is still wicked hawt, I just wish she's stop talking.

"Ready to Rumble" with David Arquette, Scott Caan, and Oliver Platt. TRRRRRREEEEEEEEEmendously bad!

I had forgotten about that one. Truth be told I didn't think it was that bad. It was good for a few laughs but definately a one time watch.

Seen the movie, havent read what people have posted on it though

IMHO it was a fantastic movie and another shining light for MR, great job on his part

Back