OT: Vent about AT&T

We've been using Vonage for 3 years now and its great.

About AT&T Check this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YtFtcp4mNzA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YtFtcp4mNzA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Also everytime I hear any commercial saying Cingular the network with the fewest dropped calls I believe it. I can't originate calls... no originated calls... No dropped calls... simple. I know, trust me.

I hate Cingular/AT&T with all my heart... and my company phone is Cingular..

maxhagen on 06-28-2007 at 12:03 PM said:
Also everytime I hear any commercial saying Cingular the network with the fewest dropped calls I believe it. I can't originate calls... no originated calls... No dropped calls... simple. I know, trust me.

I hate Cingular/AT&T with all my heart... and my company phone is Cingular..

I also have Cingular, and calls drop just like they used to with Sprint. However, with Cingular I get added bonuses, like calls that disconnect in the middle of the conversation and then a recording telling me the phone number I dialed isn't in service.

JD10367 on 06-28-2007 at 12:20 PM said:
I also have Cingular, and calls drop just like they used to with Sprint. However, with Cingular I get added bonuses, like calls that disconnect in the middle of the conversation and then a recording telling me the phone number I dialed isn't in service.

I feel your pain... the only good thing about my Cingular phone is that my company pays for it. And that's the only reason I don't change this piss poor service.

The Iphone is going to fail miserably and its not the phone. And there's no Iphone for the other carriers. It's exclusive to the AT&Trash.

grogsox on 06-28-2007 at 11:27 AM said:
Thanks for the tip. I am checking out their site and that would be a huge savings!

Some people set it up different but I've got it set up so that it runs through the regular phone wires in my house. I have both cordless and corded phones in the house. Your phone wires need very little juice and as long as you unplug the wires coming into your house, all you really have to do is plug the phone line from the modem into a jack and you're running as if it's coming from the telephone poll. They have setup info on it in their help section.

My brother chose to just put his cordless phone base off of his Vonage modem and run all wireless phones.

Either way, it works fine.

Good luck. I don't work for them but it's a bargain and I've had them for a few years. Their service is getting better too. It used to suck but I had to call them about a month ago because my modem was sick and got right through (to India (lol)). I just got fed up with paying through the nose a few years ago.

CleatMarks on 06-28-2007 at 10:42 AM said:
For guys with high speed internet, you should be on VoIP. I use Vonage and for 27 + change, I get unlimited long distance for US, Canada, Mexico and lots of other goodies.

All you do is plop in their modem, plug it into the wall, and disconnect the wires from the box outside your house (easy to do) and you're off an running.

Check it out www.vonage.com

Bingo! We've got bingo!

One of the best things I ever did was switch to vonage. Somehow before that my phone bill was over 70 bucks a month. Now it's like 25 with unlimited long distance.

This makes the high speed internet pay for itself monthly. Basically was paying about $70/month for phone service and $20 bucks/month slow internet service.

Switch to cable modem for $45/month plus $25 for Vonage and now get unlimited phone calls plus high speed cable for the same out of pocket. Nice.

The other neat feature that I added with Vonage was a local number for my parents when they are in Florida. For 5 dollars a month, Vonage set me up with a "virtual number". It's a number that is local to my parents so that they don't pay long distance charges if they want to call. It still rings on my original phone line but for them, it's a different number that's in their town. If you've got distant relatives that rack up the long distance charges, it saves money. It makes sense if you've got a kid in college that isn't local too. You just pay 5 bucks for a virtual number in their college town and they have no excuses not to call. lol

<<
One of the best things I ever did was switch to vonage.
>>

Vonage is great for voice calls in the US and voice calls overseas to non cell numbers. For faxes and overseas voice calls to cell phones it absolutely blows.

PSC_Pats_Fan on 06-27-2007 at 08:48 PM said:
I work in customer service for a major cable company and I can tell you its one of the most thankless jobs in America.

Maybe the customer service for these companies would be better if A) Customers didn't treat us like their own personal verbal punching bags and B) The company paid us more.

I never understood why the employee most important for determining wether the customer has a good experience or a bad one is the least paid and thought of as the most expendable.

I try to do the best job I can, but I know the next customer I talk to suffers (even if just a little) when I just spent getting screamed at for something that's not my fault for 20 minutes.

I'd love to see the CEO and his 5 million dollar a year salary deal with some of these people. It is NOT easy and I think the customer service quality really suffers when the representatives feel underpaid, unappreciated, and stressed out.

And YES, I am looking for a new job.

Preach on, Brother PSC.

For over two years after college I was stuck as a customer service person for a window manufacturer in my home town. I would not wish this job on my worst enemy.

As for the "person with the most contact is the least paid", I can attest to that. When I started I was told that the starting wage for the job was $7/hr, but since I had a bachelor's degree I was worth $8/hr. :rolleyes:

First off, I had no idea windows could be so f***ing complicated. I figured, "What, there's glass, some wood, a screen? I can handle that." Oh nooooooooooo. The typical window has about 800 parts in it, and by God you had better know the exact name, function, size, weight and price of all of them RIGHT F***ING NOW because (as I was told 50 times every day by the jerkwad dealers who called me) time is money and every minute they spent on the phone with me meant they had less money to help feed their poor, starving families.

It was unbelievable how much s**t I was expected to know. One day a guy from Oklahoma called up and asked if the company's windows met some obscure state requirement. I was on the phone with this clown for damn near an hour, looking in every spec manual, reference guide, conference calling with architectural and other technical departments, and when I finally got an answer for him his response was "Thanks for nothing" and hung up.

The other real treat was the Joe Public a$$holes who would call up asking about the status of their order with us that they placed through a dealer. Company policy was you don't give out this information to anyone but the dealer, which I can understand. You never know what the situation is; maybe the dealer has the order but is holding on to them because the customer hasn't paid his bill yet. Or they would call up and try to get the price that the dealer paid because they didn't want to pay the dealer anymore than what the dealer paid for them. HELLO? It's called CAPITALISM. I know it sucks that you have to pay a middleman a little more, but that's the way the system works. You don't go up to Ford's corporate office in Detroit and buy a Mustang, you buy it from a dealer; nor do you go to a farmer's house to buy milk, you get it at the supermarket.

Another fun rule was "Nothing goes out for nothing" - i.e., we were supposed to charge for every single part we sent out, or at least get the part it had to replace. So if the dealer got a window that didn't have one of the little crank handles (which more than likely meant the high school dropouts who worked at the plant forgot to put one in with the window) I was supposed to tell this guy he had to pay for it. Or, if they broke one, I was supposed to tell them "You have to send me the broken one first before I can send you a new one." Yeah, right.

Then there were the "special" customers who got all their orders expedited because they built homes like crazy in subdivisions and agreed to use only our windows and doors. (One of these companies was later on "20/20" or one of those shows because the houses they built in a southern state were so flimsy that if you slammed the front door a window at the back of the house would vibrate like there was an earthquake.) First of all, these morons were ALWAYS sending orders to the wrong jobsite, but rather than call their coworkers at the other site they expected us to give them a completely new unit free. (And the company would.)

Better yet was the time one of the a$$hole foremen called up and said he needed a new entrance door because one of his men had put a ladder through the big oval of decorative leaded glass. I said, "Okay, you'll have it in 10 days." Which was standard because of their deal with the company; normally these doors took a minimum of four weeks to be produced and shipped. So then he gives me this big sigh like a seven-year-old and says, "Can't you get it here any sooner?" At that point I just lost it; how I kept myself from swearing at him I'll never know. But I did say, "Look, pal, you're already getting the door in less than half the time it normally takes. Tell your men to watch where they're swinging the ladder and maybe you won't have this problem, huh?" I got a butt-chewing for that one, even though the sales manager who bitched at me for it said he pretty much told the guy the same thing.

Worse yet, my boss was a total, absolute bitch who couldn't understand why I didn't know all about the business even though she had been working for them for 20+ years and I had only been there a few months. She was always telling us that we had "the privelege of working with the customers directly". More like a curse, you ask me.

Today I am almost always nice to customer service people, because I know they probably don't get paid much, they're not responsible for the problem(s) and yelling at them won't do any good. But it is absolutely true that customer service as a whole sucks.

RoadGrader on 06-27-2007 at 10:26 PM said:
###cast is a monolith that can be frustrating for some to deal with but I have found them shockingly helpful for the most part when I have had to call and work thru issues -- even when talking to male reps ;) :p

I do have a complaint that maybe you can help me with -- I received a letter indicating I would receive *up to* 1Mbps uploading ability from a previous 384Kbps -- after reseting my modem I get like 351Kbps WTF?

<< sorry....didn't mean to yell at you >>

what could be the issue?

PS: I wish AT&T oozing pustules on the inside of the members of every single Corporate board member that has a member

you post as much as you do with 351k of bandwidth?

You.....

are my hero.....

Really...

aloyouis on 07-08-2007 at 12:26 AM said:
you post as much as you do with 351k of bandwidth?

You.....

are my hero.....

Really...
at a July 4th BBQ I attended, a friend told me that ###cast had recently limited his internet service connection thingee on account of "abuse of service" or some such

I guess he D/Ls a lot of "fun" film clips as he calls them -- I don't know if this could apply to me or anything about this whole iNtrANetWEB dealie anymore :confused: :(

I'm just here to talk football :patriots: 24/7 :patriots:

<<
I'm just here to talk football
>>

And your RealDoll

Back