OT: Worst place you have ever been to

Alcoholic9 said:
Without a doubt Kansas!

If I ever need to go back that way I will literally drive around the state. I can see why they have a big meth problem there. If I lived there I'd meth myself to death too.

The drive on I-70 between Salina and Denver is a 7 hour test in sensory deprivation. Tabletop flat, no trees, and for a long stretch, if you hit the Seek button on your car radio, it just cycles around and around. I think Bob Dole was traumatized by it and just refers to himself in the third person to remind himself that he exists.

O_P_T said:
Moscow, Russia
I gotta agree with you on that one. I was there in the early 80s and that visit was what changed me from a liberal to a conservative. It was awful. I never saw so many absolutely miserable people in my life.
________
O370

Reception center before basic training in Ft. Jackson SC, December 16, 1980.

Yes, day one at the reception center was worse than the training itself. You see, I was a 17 yr old rebel without a clue so I figured I'd join the army and hope for some direction. After flying around the country and laying over for endless hours I finally ended up there at 2 or 3 in the morning, dead tired. At approximately 5:30 am I opened my eyes only to see this ogre with a mean looking hat yelling in my face telling me to get up (soldier), all the while I was lying on the floor and my mattress was on top of me.

I immediately began to second guess my decison but I was the property of Uncle Sam and that was that.

Gary, Indiana

I was on a business trip to Chicago and decided I just needed to see Gary. There is no explanation for that insanity.

Memphis, Tennessee. Driving a horse trailer through that town for a week was gut wrenching, I saw more accidents in a week than I did for a year. And I wasn't impressed with Graceland either.

Penn Hills Resort in the Poconos.

I took my wife there back in 2000. It was the weekend I proposed. The resort was dirty. I paid an arm and a leg which I wouldn't have minded if it had been a quality resort.

But the whole idea was a romantic getaway and we were both disappointed with the resort and the area we stayed. The Poconos itself was all right I guess but I wouldn't go there again.

The only good thing that came out of that trip was my wife obviously said yes. Of course she had to, it would have been a long walk back to NH. :D

Mark_Henderson said:
The drive on I-70 between Salina and Denver is a 7 hour test in sensory deprivation. Tabletop flat, no trees, and for a long stretch, if you hit the Seek button on your car radio, it just cycles around and around. I think Bob Dole was traumatized by it and just refers to himself in the third person to remind himself that he exists.

Sounds like the summer of 2001. Had a couple weeks off and decided to go on a roadtrip around the great lakes. Going through Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota was OK. Detoured through North Dakota (apparently because I'm insane), wound up in Winnipeg (not that bad a city).

Then I made my way east. Winnipeg to Ottawa is the most boring length of highway you will ever go on. It took me 2 1/2 days, and there are, as I recall, 4 cities of any size whatsoever. You can go for over 100 miles with seeing maybe 5 houses. Every so often you'll get to see some of the lake.

The radio cycled over and over like that more often than not. When I did come across something, it was either CBC or some station that was so hokey they (honest truth) had announcements people could submit for people if they had no other way of reaching them - stuff like "Joyce had a heart attack - please come to Toronto with me."

Leaving Thunder Bay (one of the few places with more than a gas station and a motel), I passed a sign: "SAULT STE. MARIE 675 km." That was the next city. There wasn't so much as a McDonald's between the two.

JPK

I'm not very well traveled, but in my limited experiences, Syracuse is a grimier version of Worcester.

The winters are long and miserable. The hills are almost non-passable from November to April. Panhandlers, drug dealers and thieves are a doorstep away. My son had two car stereos stolen while there. Was approached countless times by beggars. Unemployment is staggering. He worked for the University Literacy Corp teaching 1st and 2nd graders how to read/write in the inner city school system. The poverty and lack of basic medical care really opened his eyes. Kids would show up not having eaten. Some would wear the sames clothes for several days.

Biloxi, MS.. I went there while my brother was doing his AIT training-I believe it was. And we were soooo miserable. It get hot and humid here but dang if it wasn't 10 times as bad there. We got bit by some kind of horrible bug because we camped on some horrible campground. (We have a camper). Only good thing aboutthat besides seeing my brother was the guy I meant there at the time LOL and the times we got to go swimming, that was very refreshing!! I hope I NEVER have to go back there again!

pittsburg, pa

went for the 7-6 pats loss when Vrabel sacked Bledsoe. Luckily we stayed in the same Hotel as the Pats and I scored team tickets for cost at the bar. We ended up sitting with the teams wifes and parents but security was horrible. No one could walk around in pats gear, which I was in, with out getting attacked. Women were hitting on me and I don't mean in a sexual way. You can't really get macho to a bunch of mad dames from the area, so I explained they were exciting me in ways I had never been before to get them to stop. The men were worse but an easier task to handle. Chris Slades mother tried to go to the restroom and the crowd was all over her, a couple of us Pats fans ran up to ease the B.S. her sons shirt caused. Mr slade showed up shortly after and all was forgotten, A few of the other players wifes complained to the security but no response from anyone. Luckily I had removed the Pats stuff (other than the plate holder) or my car would have been destroyed. The tail gate started at 4 am and by 7 am the local tv station had video of drew bledsoe dolls being hung and burnt. worse crowd I have ever seen. Pats fans have not been that bad in years, that game was ruined by all the B.S. never mind the loss.

When I was a kid, in the early 70's, we lived in Jackson MS for nine months, and that was the Armpit of America. But there was a place nearby that was worse, the festering boil adjacent to the armpit if you will.

My older brother played High School Football while we were down there and I spent a "lovely" fall evening in Yazoo City MS. The entire city smelled like ass. I was 8 years old at the time and I've never experienced anything like it in the intervening years.

Patti37 said:
Gary, Indiana

I was on a business trip to Chicago and decided I just needed to see Gary. There is no explanation for that insanity.

I agree with you here. I live about 1 1/2 hours from Gary.

Gary = sh*t hole.

PatsFanDan said:
Penn Hills Resort in the Poconos.

I took my wife there back in 2000. It was the weekend I proposed. The resort was dirty. I paid an arm and a leg which I wouldn't have minded if it had been a quality resort.

But the whole idea was a romantic getaway and we were both disappointed with the resort and the area we stayed. The Poconos itself was all right I guess but I wouldn't go there again.

The only good thing that came out of that trip was my wife obviously said yes. Of course she had to, it would have been a long walk back to NH. :D

ROFL sorry for laughing,but living 1/2 hour away from Penn Hills and about 30 other tourist traps I can't help it
....Atleast you learned from the experience .... there are a large number of tourists that continue to come here for abuse year after year.

** News Flash ** The Pocono's are a Tourist TRAP***

there are 2-4 real nice hotels but there are hundreds of flea bag hotels disguising themselves as 4 star hotels.

STAY AWAY .... and I'm not saying that because I hate getting stuck behind tourists going 20 mph under the speed limit. :banghead:

I do recommend Water Gap Country Club if you are a golfer and the Food is 2nd to none.

one of 4 great Pocono getaways

Mark_Henderson said:
The drive on I-70 between Salina and Denver is a 7 hour test in sensory deprivation. Tabletop flat, no trees, and for a long stretch,

I must say, I am thoroughly intrigued by the absolute nothingness that exisits in western Kansas, Eastern Colorado. espically the streatch of route 24 between Limon and Colorado Springs.

ramah5.jpg

simla2.jpg

matheson2.jpg

NCPATRIOT said:
Biloxi, MS.. we were soooo miserable. It get hot and humid here but dang if it wasn't 10 times as bad there. We got bit by some kind of horrible bug. I hope I NEVER have to go back there again!

Biloxi MS, If it rains, the whole town turns into a swamp.

Panther%20Swamp%20NWR-Hollingsworth.jpg

swamp.jpg

Back