Patriots as Road Warriors Begins Today; Pats-Bills Game Thread

DarrylStingley

Boston Sports
Reaction score
So it looks a little bleak this morning.

Their best two D-lineman are OUT. Their best rookie D-lineman back-up is out. They're looking at playing a LB who was benched last week and hoping he doesn't mail it in out of spite. They're facing a pretty good double headed monster at running back. They're playing a game on the road in the United States, and they have not won such a game this year. Tom Terrific, father of Benjamin Brady and John Moynihan, and husband of Super Model Giselle, has big major boo boos on his finger, in his ribs and in his shoulder. He's not himself just now. And Randy Moss, for much debated reasons, has been great at blocking and taking the attention of members of the opponents' secondary, but hasn't caught all that many passes in recent weeks.

Yowzer!

Time to pack it in?

No farging way.

Lest we forget, this is the New England Patriots Football Club we're talking about. This ole team is still coached by the best living HC in professional sports. It is still QB'd by the single best QB in football. Peyton Manning is having a fine season and all, but he's still a major freaking douche bag and everyone knows that even Colts fans would, if no one was looking, rather have Our Tom. Drew Brees showed us last night that this year has been nifty, but he still can't carry Our Tom's pecker.

So we enter this game with Bill and Tom. Against them are New Coach and Ryan Fitzpatrick, a poor man's Donovan McNabb if I ever saw one.

Can that combo really match up? DS doesn't have to answer that one, now, does he?

And the WAY BB and Our Tom will lead us to victory is on the GROUND. The revitalized Larry Maroney is going to see a shit load of carries against the worst rushing D in the NFL. And even the Larry Haters have to like that, as Larry has been running with a renewed sense of purpose in recent weeks, and has been hitting the hole faster and running over members of the secondary along the way. (DS' favorite moment of the season thus far was when said Larry just ran over the talkative Kerry Rhodes to finish off a first down run over the Just End The Seasons.).

But before the Pats spend too much time with the Run, they will establish Randy early. He'll get a few tosses from Our Tom in the early phases of that game, which will have the simultaneous goodyness of getting Randy untracked, making him feel all warm inside, calming down ninnies like me and, most importantly, giving the Bills something to ponder.

Face it, good friends, less good friends and others, this is the kind of game that separates the men from the sheep. If the Pats want to play in the tourney, they have to win this one. They cannot rely on the Titans and Falcons to do their bidding. Hell, we well know that the Titans and Falcons are not reliable bidders.

I truly and seriously expect a win. I am not troubled by the D-line. Let's not forget that the Bills o-line isn't exactly populated with guys who are headed to Canton; they have several rookies and players who were not expected to start this year after some early injuries.

Bank on it: The Pats will rise up, play as one, and deal with some adversity.

That's what good and well coached teams do. And despite what's gone on around here this season, the Patriots are good and well coached.

I'm saying it right now. The Patriots will win this one and it's not going to be all that close. For fun, I'll give a score, but it really isn't about the score. It's about the margin, and it's going to be wide. Hey Bills fans, you remember the word "wide," as in "wide right," don't you? Oh, I forgot, Bills fans are few and far between, and mostly stay in that hell hole in upstate New Yak.

Pats win big. 27-10.

Pondering the four "healthy" DL...

- With the report of a 'back to basics' simplified defensive scheme against Carolina, I advocate a 30 front of Brace for Warren, Wright for Wilfork, and Green in his usual slot - Adams will be the primary reserve, rotating in with Wright and Green on passing downs.
- WhyTF would you use Brace at LDE you say? He's a run stuffer. Buffalo's Center has started every game, but the right side of their line has been lost for the season (http://www.democratandchronicle.com.../Buffalo-Bills-reshuffle-offensive-line-again). Wright is a proven NT, not in the Wilfork sense, but in the 'been there, done that, got the damned T-shirt and the hangover to prove it' sense - in other words he's better prepared to face off against an experienced Center working alongside the LG who started the season.
- Okay, but why start Brace at LDE vice Adams? Adams is better prepared to back up all three slots, and on passing downs he's more likely to collapse the pocket than Brace.

Sooo, the Uncle Boxter formula would be a 3-4 on run downs and a 4-2 Nickel on passing downs. DL L to R: Brace - Wright - Green. LB: Woods/Burgess - Mayo - Guyton - Thomas/TBC. CB: Wilhite - Bodden. S: Sanders - Meriweather. Butler as the Nickel, Chung as the Dime.

:coffee:

Sooo, the Uncle Boxter formula would be a 3-4 on run downs and a 4-2 Nickel on passing downs. DL L to R: Brace - Wright - Green. LB: Woods/Burgess - Mayo - Guyton - Thomas/TBC. CB: Wilhite - Bodden. S: Sanders - Meriweather. Butler as the Nickel, Chung as the Dime.

:coffee:

Time of possesion will play an important role. Better keep those guys fresh or it might be a long 4th quarter.

Ok, Good morning, all. After reading DS's opening post, I almost went all crazy German kid on the keyboard, but Box's post calmed me down...a little. The D can't be on the field all game. Brady and co. really need to avoid 3 and outs today. Here is the play calling sequence for Pats:

1) Bomb to Moss, TD. They will have to respect the pass all day after that.
2-17) Run the ball down their freakin' throats until they keep an extra defender in the box.
18-23) Run the ball some more until they commit an additional defender to the box.
24) Bomb to Moss, TD.
Reapeat.

This can not be how this game goes. The reserves HAVE to step the F up now and stop the run game.

Brace hasn't been the problem on this drive. It's been Guyton and Mayo.

Back