Patriots Free Agency 2023

With these depth tackles BB has collected is anyone else expecting Trent Brown to be part of a trade? That would free up $9-10M in cap space.
Maybe to be used for a good starting LT. Just a thought.
Could be, but as a starting caliber true swing tackle, Trent Brown is a valuable commodity.

Could be, but as a starting caliber true swing tackle, Trent Brown is a valuable commodity.

Trent Brown is not just a valuable commodity. He’s a very good player on a good contract, Pats should keep him. Despite one of his worst seasons he was still the 2nd best lineman on the Pats. Andrews actually is the one declining quickly and the Pats should add center to the growing list of positions that need a major upgrade. Trent Brown with Klemm coaching can become a top10 tackle again.

Trent Brown is not just a valuable commodity. He’s a very good player on a good contract, Pats should keep him. Despite one of his worst seasons he was still the 2nd best lineman on the Pats. Andrews actually is the one declining quickly and the Pats should add center to the growing list of positions that need a major upgrade. Trent Brown with Klemm coaching can become a top10 tackle again.

Is he??

I think Trent Brown's uneven performances - in game, game to game, and season to season are largely due to what is between his ears and just how motivated he chooses to be.

I think a highly motivated Brown is a decent or better LT. Anything less than 100% where he is only relying on his SIZE gets you the results we saw last year. And that will just keep getting worse as he ages.

So... What can Klemm do? That will be huge for the Patriots with Brown in my opinion.

Last edited:

[edit] apologies I had Strange and Andrews backwards, it was Strange who was only the 61st ranked guard by PFF. Unfortunately Andrews is getting older but Andrews was 3rd best on the Oline after Onwenu and Trent Brown. He was a previously always good pass blocking center, and mediocre in run blocking

Who knows. Maybe Klemm fixes everything, including making Strange not a massive bust pick

Last edited:

You guys could be right but I'm not satisfied with our best OT being ranked 43rd by PFF. If Klemm can help him that would be good for sure.
Maybe a move back to RT would be good for him.

If Orlando Brown can be had for <20M the Pats should do it. He was an elite pass blocker and won a championship ring at LT despite some fake experts thinking he can only be a right tackle. Also only 27yrs old. Chiefs probably won’t pursue since they just signed another expensive tackle.

I think Trent Brown's uneven performances - in game, game to game, and season to season are largely due to what is between his ears and just how motivated he chooses to be.

I think a highly motivated Brown is a decent or better LT. Anything less than 100% where he is only relying on his SIZE gets you the results we saw last year. And that will just keep getting worse as he ages.

So... What can Klemm do? That will be huge for the Patriots with Brown in my opinion.
Maybe he's just constipated and can't concentrate on his job because he has to take a elephant shit...but, can't? :shrug-n:

If Orlando Brown can be had for <20M the Pats should do it. He was an elite pass blocker and won a championship ring at LT despite some fake experts thinking he can only be a right tackle. Also only 27yrs old. Chiefs probably won’t pursue since they just signed another expensive tackle.

PFF ranks him at 19.
His pass blocking grade was similar to Trent Brown's for '22 but his run blocking is 10 pts better.
He turned down a 6 year, $144 million contract with a $30.25 million signing bonus from the Chiefs before the 2022 season. He should have taken it.
He will be looking for even more money. Andy Reid couldn't work out a deal and now he's a FA.
Give me a cheap plug and play rookie.

From what I can see, Reiff is being brought in as a mentor as much as anything. The reports are he is an outstanding lockerroom presence and has a great brain for the sport.
I think he can still play, but his numbers have been in decline over the last couple years. His pressure rate went from 2% a few years back up to 5% and then over 6% in the last two years, though there were some significant confounding factors.

They've put themselves in a position where they don't absolutely have to draft an OT in round 1 - they could go WR, CB, S, or DL if that's where the value is - but if they do they don't have a ton of money logjamming the position, essentially forcing them to trade Trent Brown. They can also draft either a right or left tackle and be comfortable slotting him into his natural position.

• Trent Brown can play either side, but is better on the right
  • Reiff is a true LT
  • Anderson appears to be a natural LT, but has played RT
  • McDermott should probably only play RT
  • Cajuste...has played both. I thought he looked better on the left, but kinda trash at both. He's so athletic, though...maybe he finally gets it this year?
  • Steuber...don't know.

Trade back a few picks, take Dawand Jones, start Brown on the left (or right if Jones needs some time) while Reiff brings Anderson & Steuber along...presto! Depth at both tackles, and pity the front seven playing across from Onwenu and D Jones! If Steuber nor Anderson work out, find the LT next year or bring Trent Brown back...but make his contract one where he's perpetually triggering guaranteed money, always in a "contract year.". Maybe take Steen or the kid from UT Chattanooga on Day 3?

I think he can still play, but his numbers have been in decline over the last couple years. His pressure rate went from 2% a few years back up to 5% and then over 6% in the last two years, though there were some significant confounding factors.

They've put themselves in a position where they don't absolutely have to draft an OT in round 1 - they could go WR, CB, S, or DL if that's where the value is - but if they do they don't have a ton of money logjamming the position, essentially forcing them to trade Trent Brown. They can also draft either a right or left tackle and be comfortable slotting him into his natural position.

• Trent Brown can play either side, but is better on the right
  • Reiff is a true LT
  • Anderson appears to be a natural LT, but has played RT
  • McDermott should probably only play RT
  • Cajuste...has played both. I thought he looked better on the left, but kinda trash at both. He's so athletic, though...maybe he finally gets it this year?
  • Steuber...don't know.

Trade back a few picks, take Dawand Jones, start Brown on the left (or right if Jones needs some time) while Reiff brings Anderson & Steuber along...presto! Depth at both tackles, and pity the front seven playing across from Onwenu and D Jones! If Steuber nor Anderson work out, find the LT next year or bring Trent Brown back...but make his contract one where he's perpetually triggering guaranteed money, always in a "contract year.". Maybe take Steen or the kid from UT Chattanooga on Day 3?

Him damn near getting Mac KILLED is hard to wipe from the brain.

Yup. Do what it takes to keep his huge head in the game.

Him damn near getting Mac KILLED is hard to wipe from the brain.

Yup. Do what it takes to keep his huge head in the game.
Yeah, I was surprised to see that they signed Yod the Bod back. They see the potential there, I guess. I agree, but you've got to see some progress at some point!

I don't follow individual players that closely on the Lions here, but my memory is that he was pretty damn solid playing for the lions over the first years of his career.
He maxes out at solid. He's fine, and if the plan is to draft an OT high, then he's an excellent backstop.

PFF ranks him at 19.
His pass blocking grade was similar to Trent Brown's for '22 but his run blocking is 10 pts better.
He turned down a 6 year, $144 million contract with a $30.25 million signing bonus from the Chiefs before the 2022 season. He should have taken it.
He will be looking for even more money. Andy Reid couldn't work out a deal and now he's a FA.
Give me a cheap plug and play rookie.
Yup. I'd rather see them pay a WR1 vs. giving that money to Orlando Brown for similar to slightly-better production.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that they signed Yod the Bod back. They see the potential there, I guess. I agree, but you've got to see some progress at some point!
Does he qualify for the foreign-born roster exemption spot? That's why they kept that bum Jakob Johnson around.

He maxes out at solid. He's fine, and if the plan is to draft an OT high, then he's an excellent backstop.

Well, if he is close to solid that is an upgrade and we need veteran leadership in that dressing room.

Back