Patriots Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're going to need to spend a lot of capital addressing the OL this offseason.

Bills: Rousseau+ Von Miller
Jets: Williams and F-M
Dolphins: Ogbah, Phillips, & Chubb

Heard today from Patriots.com that Pats think Hines has a good future. But Steuber does not.

Been thinking we need a ton of upgrades across the team.
Team speed on defense. LBs
Free Safety
Dline
Two OTs and upgrade at backup C for Oline

Free Safety
Dline

Free Safety
Dline

Free Safety
Dline

Channeling your inner DropKick?

Okay, I've come full circle now.
LT - Wynn
LG - Strange
C - Andrews
RG - Onwenu
RT - Brown
3rdT - Cannon

I don't think Wynn just forgot how to play. I went back and watched games I had hanging around from last year, and while he wasn't great, he was fine. He gets so much more movement from his post foot on the left side - his muscles were just developed that way. It's also a way to refocus him, because you're throwing him an absolute career lifeline: shift back to left tackle and perform, you got a big contract coming. Plus, the comfort level and confidence should cut down on the presnap penalties. Just like Herron was a passable backup LT but useless at RT - some guys are just strongly left or right handed.

Because of all the switching, I think you can get away with playing a third tackle on either side of the line. That is, sometimes Cannon can be outside Brown on the right, and sometimes he can just be the RT with Wynn outside Brown on the left side, if you want to throw that in as a wrinkle. Onwenu and Strange will both have played with each of those guys outside them. This allows you to provide support where it is needed. And when you've gotta have 2 yards, running Mondre behind Onwenu/Brown/Cannon? Fuggetabboutit. Shit, I'd do that just for funzies.

Let the middle of that line cohere and become the strength of the team. As important as the tackles are, we have a pocket passer. We can survive pressure around the edges, but not up the middle.

LT - Wynn
LG - Strange
C - Andrews
RG - Onwenu
RT - Brown
3rdT - Cannon

I don't think Wynn just forgot how to play. I went back and watched games I had hanging around from last year, and while he wasn't great, he was fine. He gets so much more movement from his post foot on the left side - his muscles were just developed that way. It's also a way to refocus him, because you're throwing him an absolute career lifeline: shift back to left tackle and perform, you got a big contract coming. Plus, the comfort level and confidence should cut down on the presnap penalties. Just like Herron was a passable backup LT but useless at RT - some guys are just strongly left or right handed.

Because of all the switching, I think you can get away with playing a third tackle on either side of the line. That is, sometimes Cannon can be outside Brown on the right, and sometimes he can just be the RT with Wynn outside Brown on the left side, if you want to throw that in as a wrinkle. Onwenu and Strange will both have played with each of those guys outside them. This allows you to provide support where it is needed. And when you've gotta have 2 yards, running Mondre behind Onwenu/Brown/Cannon? Fuggetabboutit. Shit, I'd do that just for funzies.

Let the middle of that line cohere and become the strength of the team. As important as the tackles are, we have a pocket passer. We can survive pressure around the edges, but not up the middle.

Sensical.

How does Brown take the move when it has the opposite effect on his payday? His mental state seems so important to his ability to play solid tackle either side.

LT - Wynn
LG - Strange
C - Andrews
RG - Onwenu
RT - Brown
3rdT - Cannon

Problem is Brown is much worse at RT. Go back not only on tape but just his entire career. He’s injury prone at RT and also not good at it. I think Patricia isn’t cutting it as OLine coach, can we bring back Popovich since the pandemic is over now ?

Free Safety
Dline

That’s a lot of holes, essentially a major defensive overhaul and playing catchup because didn’t address it this year. Went for too many strong safeties instead.

Need to find DMac’s replacement.
Need to find Hightower’s replacement, Bentley sucks
Godchaux sucks, Barmore is good but not a NT. Need an elite nose tackle.

OLine I have a slightly different take which is they could target more guards and slide Onwenu to RT. I think it’s easier to get a guard than try to compete with the league on tackles

Sensical.

How does Brown take the move when it has the opposite effect on his payday? His mental state seems so important to his ability to play solid tackle either side.
I think he's shown he can play both, and has the chance to remind everyone that he's a monster at RT. But he's signed through next year anyway, so it's less of an issue.

Problem is Brown is much worse at RT. Go back not only on tape but just his entire career. He’s injury prone at RT and also not good at it. I think Patricia isn’t cutting it as OLine coach, can we bring back Popovich since the pandemic is over now ?
I don't think Brown is much worse at RT. He had one insane season at LT when he was probably a top 3 LT in the league (2018?) but never repeated it. Other than that he's been okay as an LT and average to above average at RT pass blocking and above average to excellent run blocking.

I don't think position impacts injury prone-ness at all. Sample size is way to small to make a call like that.

Besides that, he's not worse than Wynn at RT, which is what matters in this comparison, and the last we saw from Wynn at LT was substantially better than what we're seeing from Brown there now. Wynn is dramatically better with his right foot inside. Brown is maybe marginally better with his right foot inside, but I'm far from sure about that, and he's at least shown some success on the right side.

I don't think Brown is much worse at RT. He had one insane season at LT when he was probably a top 3 LT in the league (2018?) but never repeated it. Other than that he's been okay as an LT and average to above average at RT pass blocking and above average to excellent run blocking.

I don't think position impacts injury prone-ness at all. Sample size is way to small to make a call like that.

Besides that, he's not worse than Wynn at RT, which is what matters in this comparison, and the last we saw from Wynn at LT was substantially better than what we're seeing from Brown there now. Wynn is dramatically better with his right foot inside. Brown is maybe marginally better with his right foot inside, but I'm far from sure about that, and he's at least shown some success on the right side.

I’d keep Brown at LT, he’s been mostly good the same way Strange has been mostly good with some bad games. Wynn is a lost cause, why even try Wynn again at LT. Just let him go. Wynn was not good at LT last year, Brown right now at LT is better than Wynn at LT

I think he's shown he can play both, and has the chance to remind everyone that he's a monster at RT. But he's signed through next year anyway, so it's less of an issue.

Why won’t the team try Onwenu at RT and plug in someone at rg. Why keep trying to find external solutions when Onwenu is right there. Try Brown at LT and Onwenu at RT, better than Cannon at RT.

That’s a lot of holes, essentially a major defensive overhaul and playing catchup because didn’t address it this year. Went for too many strong safeties instead.

Need to find DMac’s replacement.
Need to find Hightower’s replacement, Bentley sucks
Godchaux sucks, Barmore is good but not a NT. Need an elite nose tackle.

OLine I have a slightly different take which is they could target more guards and slide Onwenu to RT. I think it’s easier to get a guard than try to compete with the league on tackles

How do you feel about Bentley? How do you feel about Godchaux?

I wish you could find a way to communicate more frequently what you know better than the the GOAT HC.

I mean, you barely repeat yourself more than 20 times a day!

Pick it up!!!!

Last edited:
Why won’t the team try Onwenu at RT and plug in someone at rg. Why keep trying to find external solutions when Onwenu is right there. Try Brown at LT and Onwenu at RT, better than Cannon at RT.

Why won't the team screw around with the interior offensive line?

Is this a serious question?

Name that right guard.
The Oline cupboard is pretty bare right now.
Doubt Wynn would do well at RG.
Other option is Bill Murray, think he played recently. Or the brand new practice squad Howerton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back