Patriots Offseason 2022

Which Patriots scheduled to be free agents played the most in 2021?

OFF. I'd like all of these back reasonably except JJohnson maybe.
Jakobi Meyers: 84.18%
Ted Karras: 75.23%
Trent Brown: 44.3%
Brandon Bolden: 30.92%
Jakob Johnson: 28.03%

DEF. Only one we need is JCJackson.
Devin McCourty: 94.44%
JC Jackson: 87.58%
Ja'Whaun Bentley: 64.04%
Dont'a Hightower: 58.76%
Carl Davis: 25.58%

Karras was surprisingly better than I thought.

I listened to Bills presser and my god does he love Bolden! A reporter asked about his play all season and made the mistake of saying his good play was a surprise...Bill then said he disagreed, (was quite forceful about it), with that and said nobody in that team, any player or coach was surprised at Brandon's play. He said he is consistent day in and day out and he was doing this kind of role before James White got there...
And yet BB cut him on the 53 man cutdown date in 2018. When he came back after showing in Miami what he could do, that's when BB started using him differently. He was basically ST before then IIRC (never a sure thing).

I like him but not to run up the middle, not even draw plays.

Last edited:

I wouldn't mind a FB who can catch and run. Really miss James Devlin.

I'm not very high on either of the two ILBs. Would like a change there.

I really felt the last 4 games Jackson was only ok and in the playoff game, he was sub par. I may be viewing it wrong though.

Karras was surprisingly better than I thought.

Same here. Our turnaround on the OL started when he went in at LG, but I wouldn't credit that just to Mongo.

I'd have to do some digging, but I think at one point we were without Onwenu, Andrews, Shaq and Trent Brown at the same time. I'm just going on memory, so don't kill me with facts, but the point is Karras made few obviousmental errors all season long and helped right the ship just prior to Mac being beaten to a pulp before his season really got going. We were such a fucking shambles with Ferentz and Durant et al in there I never thought Jones would last the year.

Karris isn't the best athlete, but he moves well. Not the most powerful dude, but he's tough as nails and always does his job. This had to have been his best year as a pro and I'd like to have him back. He's a much better player than the guy who left for Miami two seasons ago or whatever it was. He took some of the sting out of losing Thuney and that helped a lot.

I can't really explain the lack of starting snaps for Onwenu, but expect he's going to take a spot next season, but I would obviously like Trent Brown to stick around. He missed a lot
of time, but played well at RT and seems to like it around here. He becoming a leader of sorts, too. I'd like to see him get a shot at LT next year and Wynn should have to earn his
playing time by not fucking up every 10 minutes. I hope 2021 was his come-to-Jesus season and he rededicates himself to football, because he drew a lot flags, many pre-snap and
regressed significantly as a pass blocker. And that ain't good.

Hell, as bad as Herron played at early this past season, I thought he did a pretty decent job vs. Buffalo, not that I could stomach watching it a 2nd time. Does he have a future here? I can't rule it out. At least he should be ahead of Durant, who, to be fair, was forced in before he was ready. Maybe he doesn't suck as bad as it looked.

We should be in decent shape for next season, but I'll be happy enough if nobody talks much about the OL this offseason. We may have entered the season with excessive expectations
about dominance and we didn't see much of that actually happen. Let them actually earn that rep in 2022 if they want it.

I wouldn't mind a FB who can catch and run. Really miss James Devlin.

I'm not very high on either of the two ILBs. Would like a change there.

Agree all around. If you can't add any value as a pass catcher/runner then you need to be a dominant blocker. Like
Devlin clearly was.

Jakob is OK as a run blocker. That's about all I'll give him. If anybody bothered covering him he'd never catch a pass. Great kid,
great hair and backstory but we need good players and we should be able to find a FB better than him with a 6th or 7th rounder. Who knows, maybe
the lost legend of Dalton Keene is true and he can wow us all in camp. Fuck the extra roster spot, let's just cut one of our 7 "core"
special teamers and get somebody that can help Mac out once in a while.

While many think Hightower should retire (please), I just don't buy Bentley's reputation. He's better than he was, but he's far
from a guy that we can count on to handle the middle without hand-holding. I'm not a fan at all. We should've tried harder to keep Elandon
Roberts, because at least he can fill a hole with authority. I think Bentley is soft and shows bad instincts. There, I said it. He
probably leads the league in DDPT "distance dragged per tackle".

Let's hope that the Michigan kid we IR'd plays like some of his 2021 classmates and won't be on the 3-year development plan, because we
need way better ILB play.

Agree all around. If you can't add any value as a pass catcher/runner then you need to be a dominant blocker. Like
Devlin clearly was.

Jakob is OK as a run blocker. That's about all I'll give him. If anybody bothered covering him he'd never catch a pass. Great kid,
great hair and backstory but we need good players and we should be able to find a FB better than him with a 6th or 7th rounder. Who knows, maybe
the lost legend of Dalton Keene is true and he can wow us all in camp. Fuck the extra roster spot, let's just cut one of our 7 "core"

While many think Hightower should retire (please), I just don't buy Bentley's reputation. He's better than he was, but he's far
from a guy that we can count on to handle the middle without hand-holding. I'm not a fan at all. We should've tried harder to keep Elandon
Roberts, because at least he can fill a hole with authority. I think Bentley is soft and shows bad instincts. There, I said it. He

Let's hope that the Michigan kid we IR'd plays like some of his 2021 classmates and won't be on the 3-year development plan, because we
Keene would be a good FB imo...he played it in college.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1235774433467473920

Last edited:
Same here. Our turnaround on the OL started when he went in at LG, but I wouldn't credit that just to Mongo.

I'd have to do some digging, but I think at one point we were without Onwenu, Andrews, Shaq and Trent Brown at the same time. I'm just going on memory, so don't kill me with facts, but the point is Karras made few obviousmental errors all season long and helped right the ship just prior to Mac being beaten to a pulp before his season really got going. We were such a fucking shambles with Ferentz and Durant et al in there I never thought Jones would last the year.

Karris isn't the best athlete, but he moves well. Not the most powerful dude, but he's tough as nails and always does his job. This had to have been his best year as a pro and I'd like to have him back. He's a much better player than the guy who left for Miami two seasons ago or whatever it was. He took some of the sting out of losing Thuney and that helped a lot.

I can't really explain the lack of starting snaps for Onwenu, but expect he's going to take a spot next season, but I would obviously like Trent Brown to stick around. He missed a lot
of time, but played well at RT and seems to like it around here. He becoming a leader of sorts, too. I'd like to see him get a shot at LT next year and Wynn should have to earn his
playing time by not fucking up every 10 minutes. I hope 2021 was his come-to-Jesus season and he rededicates himself to football, because he drew a lot flags, many pre-snap and
regressed significantly as a pass blocker. And that ain't good.

Hell, as bad as Herron played at early this past season, I thought he did a pretty decent job vs. Buffalo, not that I could stomach watching it a 2nd time. Does he have a future here? I can't rule it out. At least he should be ahead of Durant, who, to be fair, was forced in before he was ready. Maybe he doesn't suck as bad as it looked.

We should be in decent shape for next season, but I'll be happy enough if nobody talks much about the OL this offseason. We may have entered the season with excessive expectations
about dominance and we didn't see much of that actually happen. Let them actually earn that rep in 2022 if they want it.
What's your take on Cajuste?
He seems to have real nice body position and feet for pass protection. But other times he is such a horrible waist bender he looks like he's about to fall over.

Devlin clearly was.

We are gonna sign a solid ILB this offseason that can go sideline to sideline and a CB that can play man. Those are the big offseason signings. We let the old guard walk, (yes including JC) We re-sign Karras and Jakobi. Enter the draft with the plan to take the best available player at any position.

Last edited:
I think we are going to lose Elliott Wolf from scouting and it is going to hurt.

The Raiders are interviewing Dave Ziegler, our player personnel director for their GM job, too. That would not be good.

Bills fans should be excited about their team but they've never had a poaching party on their staff like we've endured dozens
of times. It never stops here. Let's see if Brian Daboll wants a head job, for instance and maybe some others. We should
probably root for them to win the Super Bowl just because it makes their staff and free agents more attractive to the market.

He seems to have real nice body position and feet for pass protection. But other times he is such a horrible waist bender he looks like he's about to fall over.

I'm probably his biggest supporter here. I used to watch him at WVU and thought "now there is a good OT prospect". So, we take him and
he's hurt for two years and then when he finally got some snaps in preseason he looked awful initially. Not like the same guy I remembered.

Then, the rust started coming off and he looked really good at times, albeit against scrubs and, in particular, he looked very mobile and powerful
as a run blocker. Yes, sometimes he waist-bends, but he's got the feet and athleticism to improve. Some of that was likely two years of not playing.

He started two games and played every snap against Houston, but got banged up in the next one versus Dallas and that was his season.

If he improves this summer as much as he did last summer I'd put him in the mix, but I need to see him perform against valid opposition. To
throw out an unlikely prediction -- he has the potential to put Wynn on the bench, but it's time to shit or get off the pot. He could've supplanted
Herron as the swing backup this season, but that never panned out.

He looked good until he got Mac nearly killed against the Cowboys on a blindside hit, which led to a fumble. He seems to have gotten effectively redshirted after that. Maybe he gets another shot next year if Trent Brown isn't re-signed although it would be a pretty big downgrade.

He looked good until he got Mac nearly killed against the Cowboys on a blindside hit, which led to a fumble. He seems to have gotten effectively redshirted after that. Maybe he gets another shot next year if Trent Brown isn't re-signed although it would be a pretty big downgrade.
I hope they resign Brown. I'll try to find that lowlight of Cajuste.

Keene would be a good FB imo...he played it in college.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1235774433467473920

Didn't Keene also have a neck injury or something similar that sounded career threatening? Or am I misremembering?

Back