Patriots sign Hogan to offer

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
Hogan's offer sheet: 3 yrs, $12 mil, heavily guaranteed. Reported that the Bills are unlikely to match.

Could be another Chandler (I know that he is a TE, but, results wise...or not much results I mean), could be another Welker (maybe)...

So what is the consensus - do we like this guy?

I do. We have to take a chance on someone. We have the money. Deal is similar to LaFell's it looks, maybe more guaranteed, not sure. I am fine with it.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Could be another Chandler (I know that he is a TE, but, results wise...or not much results I mean), could be another Welker (maybe)...

I believe we would use him like we did LaFell. If we can get the same production we got from LaFell in 2014 than it is a solid signing. But as with every receiver we bring in, can he pick up the most complex offense in the NFL and get on the same page with Brady? I hope so.

Streater signing won't be far behind.

I like Streater, too. The issue is his foot. We saw what a foot injury did to Dobson. Then again, Edelman also had a foot issue but, well, he's Julian the Gladiator, so there's really no comparison.

So DA had better restructure or he'll be gone.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/3/10...y-patriots-getting-outbid-working-on-low-tier

But that's all okay. The Patriots are annual contenders because they sit on their hands while teams are willing to overpay because sticking to the plan that New England has in place has worked consistently over the past 15 seasons.

And now the Patriots have turned their focus to the next tier of player. Here's a list of players that visited with New England, per CBS' Jason La Canfora, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, and ESPN's Adam Schefter:

Running Back

Packers RB James Starks is 30-years-old, but he's an extremely reliable back-up that could function in a similar capacity to Sammy Morris. Starks can run, block, and catch, but not at an exceptional level.

Rams RFA RB Benny Cunningham is restricted, but was tagged with the lowest tender so the Patriots wouldn't have to give anything up to add him to the roster. The 5'10, 220 lbs running back is a special teams player with soft hands (71 receptions for 602 yards over the past two years) that can also add some minor value in the rushing game. He could be a solid alternative to Khiry Robinson.

Tight End

Jaguars TE Clay Harbor will be 29-years-old, but just listen to his description from head coach Bill Belichick:

Pats had FA TE Clay Harbor in for a visit, per @caplannfl. Here's what Belichick said about hm this past September. pic.twitter.com/AC9lOJ7PI5

— Christopher Price (@cpriceNFL) March 10, 2016
Wide Receiver

Bills RFA WR Chris Hogan was also tagged with the lowest tender so the Patriots wouldn't have to compensate the Bills with a draft pick. While the 6'1, 220 lbs Hogan is a slot receiver, he's still just 27-years-old with potential upside. He was more productive than Mohamed Sanu this past year and he'll likely be available for 20% of the price. That's how good teams are built.

Raiders WR Rod Streater is a personal favorite that could be signed for fairly cheap. The 6'2, 200 lbs receiver posted 888 yards in 2013, but injuries derailed his 2014 campaign and then management drafted Amari Cooper as one of the top picks of the 2015 draft and added Michael Crabtree in free agency, so Streater was an afterthought. He could revive his career with the Patriots.

Patriots cooking up three-year, $12 million offer sheet for Chris Hogan

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 11, 2016, 9:23 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwjjotzmzwiznddiymizogzmotlkmtzhnty1zji2nmrh-e1440191818609.jpeg
APThe Patriots want to make it hard for the Bills to keep Chris Hogan.
According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Patriots are expected to give the restricted free agent wide receiver a “heavily guaranteed” three-year, $12 million offer sheet.
The Bills would have five days to match from whenever the offer sheet was executed, and if they don’t match, they’d get no compensation since Hogan was undrafted and they used the low RFA tender ($1.67 million) on him.
Hogan has all the kind of, ahem, lunch-pail qualities the Patriots seem to like in their wideouts. He’s also a former lacrosse player and has the ability to be an emergency punter, so he check off all the Bill Belichick fetish boxes. If he had gone to Rutgers, he’d have probably been a Patriot long ago.
The Bills are also one of the teams with the least room under the salary cap at the moment, which may make matching difficult, even if it means losing a valuable part to a division rival.

Patriots cooking up three-year, $12 million offer sheet for Chris Hogan

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 11, 2016, 9:23 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwjjotzmzwiznddiymizogzmotlkmtzhnty1zji2nmrh-e1440191818609.jpeg
APThe Patriots want to make it hard for the Bills to keep Chris Hogan.
According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Patriots are expected to give the restricted free agent wide receiver a “heavily guaranteed” three-year, $12 million offer sheet.
The Bills would have five days to match from whenever the offer sheet was executed, and if they don’t match, they’d get no compensation since Hogan was undrafted and they used the low RFA tender ($1.67 million) on him.
Hogan has all the kind of, ahem, lunch-pail qualities the Patriots seem to like in their wideouts. He’s also a former lacrosse player and has the ability to be an emergency punter, so he check off all the Bill Belichick fetish boxes. If he had gone to Rutgers, he’d have probably been a Patriot long ago.
The Bills are also one of the teams with the least room under the salary cap at the moment, which may make matching difficult, even if it means losing a valuable part to a division rival.

LOL @ that part...

I really, really like this signing. In '07, the Welker signing was overshadowed by getting Moss, but at the time I thought they were equally as important, even though one was very much under the radar. Same thing here. If he stays healthy and the Patriots don't have a run of injuries like '15, he'll catch at least 50 balls. Book it.

What's funny to me is the Pats sign guys like this then I hear people in the media say "OMG poor Brady, he takes less money and they they sign THESE TYPES OF GUYS with it."

I just laugh.

I'll admit that I know absolutely nothing about the guy but doesn't $4 million per seem like an awful lot for a guy with that kind of production?

I'll admit that I know absolutely nothing about the guy but doesn't $4 million per seem like an awful lot for a guy with that kind of production?

Keep in mind, that's with Buffalo's scrub de jour QB corp. Not exactly the same situation here.

Keep in mind, that's with Buffalo's scrub de jour QB corp. Not exactly the same situation here.

I realize that but I still can't help but think that they could have signed him for much less than that. I mean isn't Edelman only making slightly more than $4 million per year?

Yes, but, when BB tried to sign Sanders from the Stealers, they matched it.

I think BB tried to overpay a little on purpose this time. The Bills are close to being tapped out already on their cap.

For any who are still unaware of who this guy is. This is from 2011
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/04/monmouths_chris_hogan_goes_fro.html

Monmouth's Chris Hogan goes from little-known receiver to buzzed-about NFL Draft prospect

Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger
updated April 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Chris Hogan, a Star-Ledger All-State selection at Ramapo High, had just 12 career receptions in college but is wowing scouts with his 4.47 speed.
Chris Hogan was away from the football field for four years. When he returned last fall, his time on offense was limited. He doesn’t have the statistics, the experience or the game film to garner attention as a top prospect.

And then, there’s the other reason he believes some scouts are telling him he'll be an NFL safety, not a wide receiver.

“Uh, probably, well, not to be ...” Hogan stammered, trying to be politically correct on the issue before finally letting it fly with a chuckle: “Because I’m white.”

With the NFL Draft set to begin a week from today, Hogan might be a long shot to hear his name called. Truth is it has little to do with his skin tone and more to do with the fact that, until the early part of last month, few scouts had even heard of him.

A former all-conference lacrosse player at Penn State, he played only one year as a receiver and cornerback for Monmouth. The 6-2, 220-pound Hogan had just 12 receptions, but three of them were touchdowns and he had three interceptions. Still, he wasn’t anywhere near NFL teams’ radars.

That is, until he ran a 4.47-second 40-yard dash, blew away the competition in the other speed drills and bench-pressed 225 pounds 28 times at Fordham's pro day March 8. Each of those figures would have put him at, or near, the top of the receivers who worked out at the NFL Scouting Combine.

“I always tell people Chris and ‘Cush’ are two of the best athletes I’ve ever trained,” said Joe DeFranco, owner of DeFranco’s Training in Wyckoff, in reference to Hogan and Texans linebacker Brian Cushing, a Bergen Catholic grad.

“He’s just an all-around athlete. And he’s not a lacrosse player trying to play football; he’s a football player who took a couple of years off.”

That’s a statement teams are scrambling to verify right now. Hogan attended local workouts for the Giants and Jets — the Giants, by all accounts, were wowed — and has fielded multiple calls from the Colts and 49ers. He is scheduled to work out Monday for the Eagles and expects to hear from a few others by this time next week.

A Browns scout also put Hogan through the paces at a park in Franklin Lakes after they couldn’t secure the field at Ramapo High School, where Hogan was a first-team All-State selection by The Star-Ledger in football and lacrosse.

“Cleveland wasn’t at Fordham and they weren’t at Rutgers the next day when all the scouts were still talking about Chris, so I asked the Browns guy how he had heard of him,” said Hogan’s agent, Art Weiss. “He told me, ‘Everybody’s heard of this guy.’ ”

Perhaps those in the NFL would have heard about Hogan a lot sooner if he had played four years of major college football. He was offered scholarships to a handful of Division 1 schools, including Rutgers, Temple, UConn and Akron but opted for Penn State and lacrosse.

“I had more influences on me playing lacrosse than I did have people telling me to play football,” Hogan said. “If I could go back four years, I would have absolutely played football.”

Hogan felt the pangs of regret when he attended Nittany Lions games, imagining himself on the field instead of being one of more than 100,000 fans. He considered being a walk-on a few times, but the lacrosse coaches were adamantly opposed.

So when Hogan realized he could obtain a fifth year of eligibility to play football, he hatched a plan to head to Syracuse. Though the Orange’s coaches wanted Hogan, he didn’t get into the Newhouse School of Public Communications. Instead, he headed to Monmouth University for a political science/communications masters program he eventually determined “wasn’t for me.”

But the football field was. In his first game, on his first offensive play, he ran a post pattern for a 17-yard touchdown.

“That was a pretty cool moment,” Hogan said, “because I hadn’t scored a touchdown in four years.”
In his first game as a starter on defense — a blowout victory over Duquesne — Hogan had a pair of interceptions. He was also a standout on special teams and a backup kicker and punter.
“Scouts say, ‘Well, if he’s so good, why did he only play 13 plays a game on offense?’ ” said Monmouth offensive coordinator Scott Van Zile, who recommended Hogan start for an injury-depleted defense despite the fact it would limit his reps at receiver. “I tell them since Miles (Austin), we’ve had good receivers but not great receivers who can flat-out win 1-on-1s, so we’re a concept-based passing team and the ball finds the open receiver.

“But had we known what this kid was or had him for another year, we would have made him the focal point and there’s no doubt he would be the conference player of the year because there’s no one in the conference like him.”

Monmouth cornerback Jose Gumbs, the 2009 NEC defensive player of the year, has covered Austin during offseason workouts with the Cowboys receiver and former Hawks standout.

“Chris is the real deal, Coach,” Gumbs has told Van Zile.

Last fall, Hogan, 23, began to think he had a shot at the NFL, though perhaps only as a body during training camp. Now, based on the feedback he’s gotten from teams, he thinks he could hear his name called next weekend.

As a wide receiver. You know, one with “deceptive speed, a high motor, reliable hands,” and all of those stereotypes.

“I just need someone to give me a shot,” he said. “Just look past everything else, let me run routes and catch the football. I guarantee I can do it just as good as anyone else can.”

Mike Garafolo: mgarafolo@starledger.com

Nice read!

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

711...cuz he's open all the time.

I like Streater, too. The issue is his foot. We saw what a foot injury did to Dobson. Then again, Edelman also had a foot issue but, well, he's Julian the Gladiator, so there's really no comparison.

So DA had better restructure or he'll be gone.

That would be a great pickup. I just hope Streater can make tough catches in traffic. That something we didn't have once Edelman was injuried .

Back