Patriots' Special Teams

Hmmm, not so hot this season is it? Scott O'Brien is the one thing that's changed.

Ghost is kicking superbly no question, but the punting and punt returning needs to be fixed and improved big time. The playoffs is where ST really comes to the fore.

Hmmm, not so hot this season is it? Scott O'Brien is the one thing that's changed.

Ghost is kicking superbly no question, but the punting and punt returning needs to be fixed and improved big time. The playoffs is where ST really comes to the fore.

PR is in the sh*tter, but the punting has been great. The punt coverage has been a little off the last couple games, but that probably has a lot to do with a nagging injury to Slater. He's definitely less than 100%.

Also, I was so mad that Martin muffed that punt. Not because it was the 2nd game in a row or because it could have let Houston right back into the game, but because he seemed to be doing a good job in the previous few he tried.

I'm making a new rule that all punts must be either fair caught or let drop. No more catch and returns for any reason.

Deserves a thread on it's own.

The Ryan Allen punt was HUGE. A major play when we were 3-0 down and could have given up bad field position. But his punt just went and went and went.....the receiver was back-pedalling fast than Trent Dilfer on the Patriots.

Matt Slater again made plays, Danny's run back, Ghost again doing the business.

So Scott O'Brien and all the players on special teams, this Bud's for you. :wave:

He loves bad snaps. :coffee:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DN9BFxrcyDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

FYP

Cheers, BostonTim

Man! That was one of the best punts I've ever seen. The receiver had to nearly spring backwards. Superb stuff.

Saw it yesterday as well, the punting of the Raiders really just kept pinning back the Broncos deep near their own goal line.

Disagree. Ryan Allen had a rough month or so, but he's been great the last couple of games. The Sproles return was on the ****ing sideline, the cover team should have figured that out.

The shame of last night was, Keyshawn Martin had a terrific overall game, save for the fumble. It was too bad. Coverage teams were great though. It's too bad you have to have DA back there limping around just to FC a punt though. That's pretty weak.

Troy Brown ain't walking through that door.

Dave Meggett ain't walking through that door.

There is only one GOAT punt returner.

julian-edelman.gif

Hmmm, not so hot this season is it? Scott O'Brien is the one thing that's changed. Ghost is kicking superbly no question, but the punting and punt returning needs to be fixed and improved big time. The playoffs is where ST really comes to the fore.

I think injuries have played a role.

No I'm not talking about Slater or Edelman.

Yes BB will have "starters" on ST's, but as the injuries on the offense and defense accumulated, fewer and fewer guys have been available for ST's, and/or BB has been less willing to put key guys on ST's to limit the risk.

Amendola as a PR is the poster child for this.

When both he and Edelman are healthy, then the risk vs reward for either one, or both, being out there for a PR is on the reward side since, heaven forbid one gets hurt, you've got the other as a slot receiver.

With Edelman out, and Amendola not quite at 100%, the risk vs reward to have Amendola out there for PR probably slides to the risk side.

So much you try other options, based on practice performance, and only shift away from that if evidence suggests the alternative can't get it done.

Of course, this same analysis happens for every spot on ST's. The blockers and the non gunners on the punt team only show up if they don't get the job done, so I doubt many people are aware of just who those guys are and how much juggling has gone on there this year.

IIRC, Reiss listed the various combinations of the punt team OL prior to the punt block by the Eagles, and they'd had a bunch of combos through the year, mostly due to adjustments on the roster.

No excuse, the guys need to do their job, but when comparing this year to the past, I don't think one can simply point to the coach and say that's the only reason.

IMHO, the trickle down effect of injuries plays a role.

abZdeQB.gif

coffee

Sent from my Enigma Device

Troy Brown was a good punt returner. Edelman is one of the best, if not the best, in NFL history, based on number of returns and average.

Dave Meggett wasn't anywhere near as good as either of those two. Good kick returner, average punt returner.

Patriots have been blessed with good punt returners over the years. I can name 5 off the top of my head (Edelman, Haynes, Fryar, Brown, Welker) better than Meggett, and if you gave me an extra couple of minutes, probably 10.

Troy Brown was a good punt returner. Edelman is one of the best, if not the best, in NFL history, based on number of returns and average. Dave Meggett wasn't anywhere near as good as either of those two. Good kick returner, average punt returner. Patriots have been blessed with good punt returners over the years. I can name 5 off the top of my head (Edelman, Haynes, Fryar, Brown, Welker) better than Meggett, and if you gave me an extra couple of minutes, probably 10.

Older Patriots fans can remember when they had never returned a punt for a touchdown until Mike Haynes did it. Funny how the perception of the team has changed.

Older Patriots fans can remember when they had never returned a punt for a touchdown until Mike Haynes did it. Funny how the perception of the team has changed.

We also never won a game in overtime until Parcells got here. IIRC, the first one they ever won was the Bledsoe Minnesota game, where he threw 70 times.

They are 11-5 under Belichick in overtime.

We also never won a game in overtime until Parcells got here. IIRC, the first one they ever won was the Bledsoe Minnesota game, where he threw 70 times. They are 11-5 under Belichick in overtime.

Regular season overtime didn't exist before 1974 and is still relatively rare. Returning a punt usually happens a few times in every game and could always be returned for a touchdown.

Back