Patriots Throwback Uniforms

93North

19.2 Yard Average Per Catch. NFL Record
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed. I searched the forums and couldn't find it.

The Patriots have not worn their throwback uniforms in awhile. I can't remember the last time.

I heard somewhere that the reason was because players had to wear the same helmet throughout the season. This implies that the Patriots cannot have a second, white Pat Patriot helmet.

Teams that currently wear throwback uniforms simply switch the logo decals. This is possible because the current helmet and the throwback helmet have the same base color.

Can anybody shed light on this? I'm will be bummed out to learn that the NFL helmet policy has ruled out the Patriots throwback uniform (and helmet)

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I searched the forums and couldn't find it.

The Patriots have not worn their throwback uniforms in awhile. I can't remember the last time.

I heard somewhere that the reason was because players had to wear the same helmet throughout the season. This implies that the Patriots cannot have a second, white Pat Patriot helmet.

Teams that currently wear throwback uniforms simply switch the logo decals. This is possible because the current helmet and the throwback helmet have the same base color.

Can anybody shed light on this? I'm will be bummed out to learn that the NFL helmet policy has ruled out the Patriots throwback uniform (and helmet)

That's pretty much it. I'm not sure anyone understands the rationale behind the one helmet rule.

That's pretty much it. I'm not sure anyone understands the rationale behind the one helmet rule.

The NFL had a committee study the matter back in 2017 and they determined that broken-in helmets were much safer than out-of-the-box, so they made a rule about it.

So, by that logic, if a guy's helmet cracks in half does he sit out the season? Or be forced to retire? No, he gets a new one and nobody worries about it. What happens if a guy is acquired mid-season? Does he bring his helmet or do they give him a new one? You could go on and on with all the permutation and it is my guess that Belichick thinks that the committee is full of shit and he doesn't want to deal with it.

Other teams repaint their helmets for throwback games, but the Patriots appear unwilling to do that. They certainly could if they wished to do so, but possibly they don't want to interrupt the practice schedule while the helmets are being re-done which would likely take a while. That's the only solid reason I can come up with.

Other teams repaint, so it is a bit of mystery. A lot of college teams wear a different helmet almost every week and some of them are really complex paint jobs, but that ain't the NFL.

The NFL had a committee study the matter back in 2017 and they determined that broken-in helmets were much safer than out-of-the-box, so they made a rule about it.

So, by that logic, if a guy's helmet cracks in half does he sit out the season? Or be forced to retire? No, he gets a new one and nobody worries about it. What happens if a guy is acquired mid-season? Does he bring his helmet or do they give him a new one? You could go on and on with all the permutation and it is my guess that Belichick thinks that the committee is full of shit and he doesn't want to deal with it.

Other teams repaint their helmets for throwback games, but the Patriots appear unwilling to do that. They certainly could if they wished to do so, but possibly they don't want to interrupt the practice schedule while the helmets are being re-done which would likely take a while. That's the only solid reason I can come up with.

Other teams repaint, so it is a bit of mystery. A lot of college teams wear a different helmet almost every week and some of them are really complex paint jobs, but that ain't the NFL.

Ah, I easily conjur up Rudy, painting the ND gold.

Cheers, BostonTim

Or Flying Elvis on a white helmet.

Right. But the one helmet ridiculousness already puts them in silver.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

I'd settle for this one.

I think people want to see the red jersies again even if they aren't exact.

That’s a NASTY uni!

LOVE IT!

Just switch the red with the blue in the current uni design. That would look cool.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

I'd settle for this one.

I think people want to see the red jersies again even if they aren't exact.

Yeah, like this...

That Faulk pic uni should just go to production now. Use it as a 3rd. Color rush. Whatever. I want to see that thing in games.

The backup for the green dot, i.e. on field communication with coaches, has TWO helmets.
One with the communications and one without.

Several teams have changed logos and then changed back.

Jete and Giants come to mind.

Would love to see a white helmet with the flying elvis that can transform to Pat Patriot for throwback.

I’d love to hear someone from the league try and make sense of the 1 helmet mandate and then go on to explain trades, UDFAs, damaged equipment, comps to colleges wearing different ones every week (hello Oregon), etc.

Just get rid of the insanity and allow 2 helmets per player. Wow, I’m a fvcking genius.

I read in the past few days that Brady does not like the helmet he's been using this year and may go back to his old helmet. I guess it's OK as long as it doesn't change color :shrug:

I read in the past few days that Brady does not like the helmet he's been using this year and may go back to his old helmet. I guess it's OK as long as it doesn't change color :shrug:
He switched back recently, claims his peripheral vision is not the same with the new helmet and is looking to see if modifications can be made to it.

Next season he will have to use the new helmet design as his is no longer grandfathered.

He switched back recently, claims his peripheral vision is not the same with the new helmet...
I Dunno. Could be those old. tired cliff--clinging eyeballs maybe. :shrug_n:

Cheers

Back