Patriots training camp practice news thread updated daily by all

HarpoonIPA

ハープーンIPA &#1249
Reaction score
Quick-hit thoughts from practice
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-..._/id/4698778/quick-hit-thoughts-from-practice

By Mike Reiss
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A few quick-hit thoughts from Patriots training camp practice:

1. Linebacker Brandon Spikes made an impression. On one play, he blew up offensive tackle Mark LeVoir, charging downhill with force. I was curious to see how Spikes looked coming into this camp after the momentum he built as a rookie was stunted with his late-season four-game suspension. He caught my eye today.

2. Remember when Rodney Harrison first came to the Patriots and he put a hard hit on Troy Brown in practice? That was one of those moments where a player practices a certain way and has to learn how to adapt to a new team's way of doing things. There was a similar moment this morning with Chad Ochocinco, who caught a pass up the left side, and as Patriots defenders often do, they kept going after the ball as he finished his route. It's the way the Patriots practice, always looking to get the ball out, while stressing to receivers the importance of security all the way through the play. Ochocinco seemed a bit surprised that linebacker Jerod Mayo was still trying to pry the ball away about 20-25 yards downfield and the two had some playful pushing afterwards.

3. Ochocinco is right into the mix and it's what one would expect. Smooth routes and good hands. When looking at the receiver depth chart, I think it's going to be tough for second-year man Taylor Price to break through.

4. Crowds are light. For the first weekend of training camp, on a beautiful day, I was really surprised at how many empty spots there were in the bleachers and on the hill around the practice fields. Part of it might be the "lockout effect", another part of it might be the fluid nature of the schedule and how the session wasn't announced until late Friday.

Reiss keeps beating that Taylor Price drum awfully hard when the tea leaves read Tate being on the outside looking in for me.

I wonder if he knows something and is phrasing it like an opinion to protect a source.

Reiss keeps beating that Taylor Price drum awfully hard when the tea leaves read Tate being on the outside looking in for me.

I wonder if he knows something and is phrasing it like an opinion to protect a source.

Good question, I wonder if I should shoot him an e-mail? I haven't e-mailed him in a while.

Me and Mike at last years training camp
00000054.jpg

Lol that OC seemed surprised by Mayo.

Konichiwa, bitchiz!

Good question, I wonder if I should shoot him an e-mail? I haven't e-mailed him in a while.

Me and Mike at last years training camp
00000054.jpg
Whos the pervert in the wheel chair? :coffee: Oh nevermind its you...Big surprise hardy har har...There is one surprise though your not naked...:insane:

I just got into a discussion over there with some idiot who thinks this article proves Price had Chad Jackson-esque issues picking up the system.

It was a playoff game that saw the receivers struggle, and Price could have helped. Instead, he spent the year learning. Sure, it was slower than any other rookie. But he also faced the biggest challenge just getting on the field.

I just got into a discussion over there with some idiot who thinks this article proves Price had Chad Jackson-esque issues picking up the system.

That puff piece tells us nothing about Price's progress as a receiver. Price has to see some time before anyone outside the locker room can comment on his ability to apply the play-book. What the Jets' game has to do with Price's future I don't know.

The Jets pulled out all the stops in that play-off game and executed very well. They played some pretty tough coverages and had the people to make them go. They were very well prepared by down and distance and they attacked Koppen and Connolly and it worked out over the course of the game for them. That game doesn't speak to Price's ability. This pre-season will be a better measure. It's too early to anoint him and too early to bust him either.

Whos the pervert in the wheel chair? :coffee: Oh nevermind its you...Big surprise hardy har har...There is one surprise though your not naked...:insane:

I think it's RG's illegitimate black sheep

http://www.patriots.com/news/articl...anscript/c396c41c-0669-471f-b089-cb150670dada

Bill Belichick On-Field Interview Transcript

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick addresses the media during his on-field interview on Saturday, July 30, 2011.
BB: First of all, there were was a couple of releases - several releases we had yesterday were tough ones. Guys like Ty [Warren] and Nick [Kaczur], gave us a lot of good football here, have been players for a long time, really since their rookie year. It's just tough to have to move on in those situations. Tully [Banta-Cain], certainly has been a contributor for us and Alge [Crumpler] last year, came in and gave us a lot of leadership and gave us a real veteran presence offensively. Those kinds of things are tough. Unfortunately that's part of what we do. We just had to move on. The trades for both Chad [Ochocino] and Albert [Haynesworth] are complete, so they're New England Patriots now. Both of them came down pretty quickly. With the rules, obviously, we couldn't enter into any conversations about those. But Mike Shanahan and I had some conversations there late one night and it all kind of came together pretty quickly. And so we had to get a few things worked out and so we did that and consummated the trade with Washington. And I spoke with Marvin [Lewis] and Mike Brown and eventually we got things worked out with Cincinnati as they were reporting to camp, before Chad reported there, so he was able to come here and we were able to get that finished. Those players are here, they obviously have a lot of catching up to do. We're excited to have them. They‘ve got a lot of work to do in terms of learning our system and us figuring out exactly how they'll fit in and what their roles will be and so forth, but they've both been very productive in the league as we all know. We hope they'll be able to contribute for us this year, but we'll just have to see how it goes and take it as it comes along. It's good to be out here in pads. I thought we had a good workday this morning, had a couple of good lead up days to it the past couple days. I think the players, even though it's certainly challenging to come out and practice in this heat in pads and all that. But I think as football players you look forward to getting out in pads and playing football and so we did some of that today and that was what we needed. We've got a lot of mistakes that we've got to correct and move on and a few things we've got to get straightened out but I think we're hopefully headed in the right direction and we'll just take it day-by-day. It's going to be a long process; we'll just evaluate each day and try to make the most of our opportunities.
Q: There have been rumors about Chad Ochocinco's interest in coming here. But when you hear a guy like Albert Haynesworth, when that name comes up with Mike Shanahan, are you surprised? Do you go ‘Oh wow, he's available?' How do you react?
BB: Well, I don't think it was a big surprise that things weren't great in Washington, I don't think. But in any case, look, there's no formula. All the trades we've been involved in through the years - the Ted Washingtons and the Corey Dillons and the Randy Mosses and all, each one is different. There're always different dynamics that go into it. In the end, you just try to do what's best for your football team. There are a lot of things you take into consideration. As we've seen in those two last transactions, there're a number of steps that have to be taken that's all. So we just take each one and then if it all comes together, it does, and sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
Q: Do you have an idea of how Albert Haynesworth is going to fit in? Can he play in the 3-4?
BB: We'll do the same thing we do with all players: put them out there, let them play, and try to do what's best for them and our team.
Q: Is there a reason he wasn't practicing this morning?
BB: He's not quite ready to practice yet.
Q: Is it injury related?
BB: When he's ready, he'll be out there.
Q: So he doesn't qualify under the not until August 4th thing? He can practice when he's ready?
BB: Yes, when he's ready.
Q: To be official, he had to pass the physical and the conditioning run though?
BB: The trade's official.
Q: On Chad, he's got a personality that interacts with the public, interacts with the media and he's been very out there.
BB: Any other news breaking stories?
Q: I'm on top of that. I'm wondering since it generally isn't a way your players have acted.
BB: I think every player on this team, every person on this team, has their own individual personality. None us are the same, so that's probably a good thing.
Q: Have you asked him at all to relax with the Twitter and etcetera? We haven't had a lot of tweets from him the past couple days.
BB: That's not something I follow, as you know. I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know.
Q: In your discussions with Albert Haynesworth, have you gotten a sense of whether football is important to him? Do you think it's important to him?
BB: Of course, otherwise I don't think he would be playing football. But those are questions you can ask him. I don't want to speak for him.
Q: How do you reconcile that the guy obviously has a long rap sheet off the field, with his ability to perform on the field, the way he played in '07 and '08? How do you reconcile those two things?
BB: We did what we felt was best for the team.
Q: Did Albert pass the conditioning run yet? It was an issue in Washington last year, it's obviously going to come up again.
BB: Right. There are things we still need to do with Albert for him to be able get on the practice field and when those things are done, he'll be out there.

Thanks for posting this PW4Me. :thumb:

Q: On Chad, he's got a personality that interacts with the public, interacts with the media and he's been very out there.
BB: Any other news breaking stories?
ROFL
Q: Have you asked him at all to relax with the Twitter and etcetera? We haven't had a lot of tweets from him the past couple days.
BB: That's not something I follow, as you know. I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know.

"I don't MyFace"...Hee!

And I'm guessing that BB maybe gave 85 a little "friendly advice" :coffee: on the subject regardless.

Q: In your discussions with Albert Haynesworth, have you gotten a sense of whether football is important to him? Do you think it's important to him?
BB: Of course, otherwise I don't think he would be playing football. But those are questions you can ask him. I don't want to speak for him.

Good sign? :shrug:
Posted via Mobile Device

Bill Belichick is my hero. He makes everyone look like an idiot. I love that.

Albert Haynesworth doesn't practice

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...tioning-fail?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

By Mike Reiss

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth did not practice Saturday, one day after the New England Patriots officially acquired him, prompting speculation that he didn't pass the team's conditioning test.

Haynesworth has a history there. On the surface, it doesn't look good.

His absence gained momentum on social media sites and local sports radio, fueled in part by coach Bill Belichick's non-answer to the question. Asked if Haynesworth had passed his conditioning test, Belichick said, "There are things we still need to do with Albert for him to be able to get on the practice field, and when those things are done, he'll be out there."

Asked whether he thought football was important to Haynesworth, Belichick said, "Of course, otherwise I don't think he would be playing football. But those are questions you can ask him. I don't want to speak for him."

However, there are a few common-sense reasons why putting Haynesworth on the practice field would have been an irresponsible risk to take.

A major part of a coach's responsibility in this post-lockout environment is managing the health of players, and it would be borderline reckless of Belichick to put Haynesworth in that position. He'd be risking the health of an asset he obviously feels is going to be a big part of the team.

That appears to be the same way Belichick has approached his conditioning test. One player described this year's test as a bit different from the norm, somewhat modified and scaled back, which is likely a result of Belichick not wanting to push too hard too early.

Haynesworth appeared briefly on the team's All-Access television show Friday and talked about treating himself like a rookie, adding that "being on a team with a winning attitude and totally it's all about football and nothing else, I like that."

Faulk happy to be back with Patriots

http://www.telegram.com/article/20110730/NEWS/110739974/1009/SPORTS

By Jennifer Toland TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

Missing almost all of last season after undergoing surgery for a torn ACL in his right knee was pretty devastating for Kevin Faulk.

The 35-year-old Faulk became an unrestricted free agent at year's end, so his future in New England, especially after the way Danny Woodhead performed in 2010 and after the Patriots took two running backs in April's draft, was not certain.

You can imagine his delight, then, when he walked through the doors at Gillette Stadium today.

“Being able to come in this building and see the guys and hearing them say how much they missed me – it made me feel good as a football player and a person,” Faulk said.

The Patriots re-signed Faulk and fellow veteran running back Sammy Morris today, as well as cornerback Kyle Arrington. Additionally, offensive lineman Logan Mankins signed his franchise tender.

All four players can begin practicing on Thursday.

Mankins watched this morning's practice from the sidelines.

Entering his 13th season in New England, Faulk is the longest-tenured Patriot on the roster. Faulk said Patriots coach Bill Belichick called him before the lockout and told him he wanted him on the Patriots in 2011.

“That was enough motivation for me to rehab my butt off and get ready for the season, whatever it may be and whenever it may come,” said Faulk, who added that he would not have signed with any other team.

Faulk said the day he got hurt was the day he started thinking about coming back. His rehab went well – he worked with trainers at LSU, his alma mater, during the lockout — and he got some helpful advice from Wes Welker and Tom Brady, who, of course, both came back from knee surgeries.

“About two months ago I started feeling it coming back,” Faulk said. “It started feeling pretty good. From there, it was just keep going, just keep pushing yourself.”

As Faulk noted, the physical hurdle is one thing, the mental obstacle is another.

“Physically I feel good,” he said, “but mentally I want to get out there and see how it is getting hit, pushing and pulling with these linebackers and stuff and that's just a process.”

Faulk joins a pretty crowded backfield with Woodhead, who filled Faulk's change-of-pace role last year, Morris, and rookies Stevan Ridley, also an LSU product, and Shane Vereen. Restricted free agent BenJarvus Green-Ellis remains unsigned. The youngsters could certainly benefit from having Faulk around.

“I want to compete,” Faulk said. “I'm motivated to play football each and every day.”

Faulk knows Ridley, whom the Pats drafted in the third round, through the LSU connection, and thinks he'll fit in well here.

“He's a very smart player,” Faulk said. “He learns quickly and that's what Bill loves about him.”

Jets, Giants falling behind as division rivals Patriots, Eagles step up in wild NFL f

Jets, Giants falling behind as division rivals Patriots, Eagles step up in wild NFL free-agent chase

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...riots_eagles_step_up_in_wild_nf.html?r=sports

The Eagles and Patriots are loading up, which is not good for the Giants and Jets.

Bill Belichick, with a 14-2 record and the No. 1 seed last season, was badly outcoached by Rex Ryan in the playoffs one month after beating him 45-3. And Tom Brady, the first unanimous league MVP, was ineffective in the playoff game and looked completely confused by Ryan's defense. None of his receivers could get open.

Now Belichick is putting the pressure on the Jets with the low-risk and potentially high-reward trades for Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth. The Jets re-signed Santonio Holmes, swung and missed on Nnamdi Asomugha, have interest in Plaxico Burress and now have to convince Antonio Cromartie to return. The Jets deviated from their plan of trying to sign their own by chasing Asomugha this week.

The Giants were eight minutes away from clinching the NFC East before blowing a 31-10 lead at home to the Eagles and losing on DeSean Jackson's 65-yard punt return on the final play of the 14th game. They finish tied for first in the NFC East but the Giants missed the playoffs because Philly swept them.

Now Andy Reid is putting the pressure on the Giants by signing Asomugha, the second best corner in the NFL. He also acquired cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for the Cardinals in the Kevin Kolb trade. Then solidified his backup QB spot by signing Vince Young and helped the pass rush by signing Jason Babin.

Asked Saturday about the Eagles' new acquisitions, Young said, "Dream team."

That's a bit much. But the Eagles are certainly Super Bowl contenders. And now Reid could make a move on Burress. The Giants seem content on signing their own players and are considering Burress. And, by the way, they signed a center, David Baas from the 49ers.

If the Jets are finally going to get a home playoff game, they must abandon the wild card route and beat the Patriots and win the AFC East.

If the Giants are going to win the NFC East, the road goes through Philadelphia.

And here's what we learned from the first week of first agency: The Patriots and Eagles have gotten better. The Giants and Jets have not.

Belichick traded a 2013 fifth-round pick to the Redskins for Haynesworth, who in 2008 was first-team All-Pro with the Titans before getting a contract with $41 million guaranteed from the Redskins and disappearing on the field, which is hard to do for a 350-pound man.

Then Belichick traded for Ochocinco, giving the Bengals a fifth-round pick in 2012 and sixth-round pick in 2013.

Belichick has a history of squeezing productive years out of veteran players no longer wanted by their teams. Belichick acquired Corey Dillon for a second-round pick in 2004 and he rushed for 1,635 yards in his first season in New England and helped the Patriots win the Super Bowl. In 2007, Belichick traded a fourth-round pick to the Raiders for Randy Moss, who caught an NFL record 23 TD passes in his first year in New England, helping the Patriots become the first team to finish 16-0, although their perfect season ended in the Super Bowl.
pages 2 and 3 at the link above

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...riots_eagles_step_up_in_wild_nf.html?r=sports

Jets, Giants falling behind as division rivals Patriots, Eagles step up in wild NFL free-agent chase

The Eagles and Patriots are loading up, which is not good for the Giants and Jets.

Bill Belichick, with a 14-2 record and the No. 1 seed last season, was badly outcoached by Rex Ryan in the playoffs one month after beating him 45-3. And Tom Brady, the first unanimous league MVP, was ineffective in the playoff game and looked completely confused by Ryan's defense. None of his receivers could get open.

Now Belichick is putting the pressure on the Jets with the low-risk and potentially high-reward trades for Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth. The Jets re-signed Santonio Holmes, swung and missed on Nnamdi Asomugha, have interest in Plaxico Burress and now have to convince Antonio Cromartie to return. The Jets deviated from their plan of trying to sign their own by chasing Asomugha this week.

The Giants were eight minutes away from clinching the NFC East before blowing a 31-10 lead at home to the Eagles and losing on DeSean Jackson's 65-yard punt return on the final play of the 14th game. They finish tied for first in the NFC East but the Giants missed the playoffs because Philly swept them.

Now Andy Reid is putting the pressure on the Giants by signing Asomugha, the second best corner in the NFL. He also acquired cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for the Cardinals in the Kevin Kolb trade. Then solidified his backup QB spot by signing Vince Young and helped the pass rush by signing Jason Babin.

Asked Saturday about the Eagles' new acquisitions, Young said, "Dream team."

That's a bit much. But the Eagles are certainly Super Bowl contenders. And now Reid could make a move on Burress. The Giants seem content on signing their own players and are considering Burress. And, by the way, they signed a center, David Baas from the 49ers.

If the Jets are finally going to get a home playoff game, they must abandon the wild card route and beat the Patriots and win the AFC East.

If the Giants are going to win the NFC East, the road goes through Philadelphia.

And here's what we learned from the first week of first agency: The Patriots and Eagles have gotten better. The Giants and Jets have not.

Belichick traded a 2013 fifth-round pick to the Redskins for Haynesworth, who in 2008 was first-team All-Pro with the Titans before getting a contract with $41 million guaranteed from the Redskins and disappearing on the field, which is hard to do for a 350-pound man.

Then Belichick traded for Ochocinco, giving the Bengals a fifth-round pick in 2012 and sixth-round pick in 2013.

Belichick has a history of squeezing productive years out of veteran players no longer wanted by their teams. Belichick acquired Corey Dillon for a second-round pick in 2004 and he rushed for 1,635 yards in his first season in New England and helped the Patriots win the Super Bowl. In 2007, Belichick traded a fourth-round pick to the Raiders for Randy Moss, who caught an NFL record 23 TD passes in his first year in New England, helping the Patriots become the first team to finish 16-0, although their perfect season ended in the Super Bowl.
---------------
Pages 2 and 3 can be read from the link above

Back