Patriots training camp practice news thread updated daily by all

Well, as Chev said it was a hot one and BB was careful with the troops. The pace was controlled, everyone had down time and there was no live tackling.

The kickers came out early as always but didn't do much pre-practice. Albert and Chad O got the biggest hands when they appeared. As posted earlier, there was very little pre-practice work. The four QBs took snaps from the centers and worked on their play action drops. That's about all that happened before stretch other than Scott O'Brien working w/the free agent kicker.

After stretch, the squad split up w/the offensive skill guys working indy drills over the bags, the OL working footwork and strike drills, the defense doing team interception return drills and Coach Scott O'Brien working in rotation w/the gunners and the punt rushers. BB got involved w/the team int return drill where assistants w/bags portrayed the most dangerous men who needed to get blocked.

After indy, the QBs loosened up & split up w/a couple throwing their downfield route tree while the others worked the backfield drill w/the three suited up RBs who were Ridley, Clayton, & Woodhead. Kevin Faulk watched the practice in shorts. The run game of choice today was the draw package.

While this was going on, the WRs executed several cutting and catching drills while the TEs drilled one on one blocking drills and a cut & catch drill. The DL worked on strikes and then talked a bit waiting for the next period.

The DBs did their usual indy stuff on the far field. During all this, Scott O'Brien continued working punt game drills with players who were rotated through.

The Safeties stayed on the far field to working inside deep ball breaks and baseball turns while the CBs joined the WRs on the near field where they worked man techs against each other. Not surprisingly, Welk stood out offensively and Bodden stood out defensively. Price also looked very sharp in this drill.

While this was going on, the QBs worked on play action throws to the RBs while the TEs (except Hernandez who worked w/the receivers) worked blocking drills with the OL against a group of DL.

The DBs and WRs moved off to the other field while the OL/QB/RBs and the front 7 people came together to work a half-line run game drill where half the OL works against half the front. This was a slow paced session as more on-field coaching took place than usual. Haynesworth lit up the crowd on his first live rep when he destroyed Rich Ornberger and blew up the play. The crowd went wild. He blew up Ryan Wendell in this drill but Wendell also got under Albert and table topped him once. BB was coaching hard during this drill getting on the defense for being too slow getting lined up and ready.

This was a nice drill to watch. Rookie free agent LB Jeff Tarpinian (#48 from Iowa) stood out in this drill. He dumped Koppen on his ass off a combo block early in the drill and stood up a couple other guys as well. It wasn't the last time he gained notice either.

Group punt work followed while the QBs and receivers worked individual routes on air. The timing here was noticeably off as many passes were off target or late and a bunch were dropped. The lack of off-season passing drills really showed up in the timing of the pass game and later as the QBs and receivers were not on the same page on sight adjustments more than once. This really isn't surprising considering they've only been working a few days. What was unsurprising is that the Brady/Branch connection hasn't missed a beat. It's as sharp as ever. Edlelman is in fantastic condition. The drop off on whip routes after he, Welk and Hernandez run them is dramatic.

After this session, team punt return work took place on the near field with Edelman & Tate taking most of the reps with Price sneaking in for a few. The QBs worked a read progression drill on the far field w/Welk, Branch & Ocho. Brady & Hoyer were busting balls during this drill because new guy Ocho was messing up the hand signals and new guy Mallet was misreading the signals. The drill features the QB dropping back and executing his footwork as they go through a three receiver progression. Two receivers give the don't throw signal and one gives the throw. Chad must have reverted to Bengals hand signals while poor Mallet had no idea what Chad was doing and had a few mis-reads of his own to the other guy's amusement.

After that, we saw the defense working against look offenses using two full groups both working on the near field. We saw a wide variety of 43 fronts, lots of man coverage and some disguising by the Safeties. Josh Barrett is a physical specimen. It also looks like Guyton has beefed up a bit to my eye.

We got a good look at a lot of different personnel combinations. Mayo saw time at OLB & ILB. Cunningham played DE/OLB, Moore played some DE, Guyton moved around a lot. We saw a wide variety of techniques. BB was on guys for ball security, alignments and getting set.

After that it was full team O against D. Mallett & Koppen lapped here for a muffed snap. There were a few sight adjustment misses here as as Hoyer went deep when the WR broke his vertical off to a comeback. Brady missed a receiver badly when he threw inside and the receiver broke out.

After this, the big guys cooled down while the skill guys worked an open field tackling drill w/no finish. The guys you would expect to school did.

More team punt return followed while the QBs worked quick screens and bubbles with Branch, Welk and Ocho on the far field. It was pretty ugly with lousy timing and dropped balls.

The skill guys came together after this on the near field where they worked four receiver patterns on air at half speed w/each QB throwing to a receiver.

The back seven worked group man coverage on the far field at the same time.

Seven on seven followed on the near field where the tempo picked-up especially when a little no huddle was thrown in.

Team followed. Woodhead got stripped and went for a lap as did Darryl Richard who went off-side. Tarpanian stood out for his physical play during this period although he bit hard on play action opening up a throwing lane for Brady to hit Welk on a Curl. The throw was poor but Welk scooped it out.

Rookie PK Chris Koepplin from UMass,who is taking the heat of Ghost, got a chance to hit a few FGs. He missed his first wide right and had his next blocked but then hit three before missing wide left from the far hash.

Back to more team. The offense was having a lot of trouble getting guys open. Tarpanian made the play of the session dropping under what appeared to be a wide open Ocho to almost pick the ball off. Chung also separated Ocho from the ball on a well timed stick. Mallett hit Price for a beautiful deep ball touchdown over CB Thad Turner during this period. Thad was over matched all day.

Practice finished up with the guys who didn't get much work doing team work on the near field while the rest of the guys did five yard sprints on the far field. A group of guys including Albert did stretches and other light conditioning between the fields.

Albert is being worked in slowly. BB was really getting on guys today, especially during conditioning. Brady was heard screaming at Yeatman to "STOP" when he continued motioning when he was supposed to settle and remotion on his signal. Brady was pretty frustrated but rookies being behind is something he needs to get used to. Yeatman is a large boy but he tends to get over extended when run blocking. He needs time,time, time. Ridley looked like he's fitting in well although he didn't get a chance to show his power because there was no tackling. Chad didn't get to do much today. Mayo looks comfortable playing outside and Spikes was very active.

There appears to be a lot of defensive competition can only be a good thing. I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Good read, AWTE. It looks like I missed some fun by leaving a little early. I completely missed TB yelling at Yeatman. I also missed the Mallett td throw to Price which I would have liked to have seen. My fingers are crossed for Price.

I also came away from that practice thinking the skill guys on the offense look off. Catching, throwing and timing weren't there today. At the same time I was impressed by the defensive intensity which will eventually help our offense to get sharper. I came away thinking the rookies, especially the UDFAs, looked better than one would expect since this is only the 4th day they've had a playbook. I was remiss in not mentioning Tarp in my earlier post. He stood out to me just as he did to you.

There are some guys who offer quality camp reports over on Patsfans, but I refuse to venture over there again. If anyone who straddles both sides of the fence would be willing to post them in this thread, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the reports guys!
Wondering how Mallett & Ridley got to practice when their contracts have been rejected by the NFL? Maybe they're allowed to keep going depending on the issue or maybe the Pats didn't know about it until this morning?

Wondering how Mallett & Ridley got to practice when their contracts have been rejected by the NFL? Maybe they're allowed to keep going depending on the issue or maybe the Pats didn't know about it until this morning?

I'd imagine they aren't allowed on the practice field.

When did those guys sign? Friday? Saturday? I have to imagine it takes the NFL time to go over all of the contracts that they get.

SSDD

I also came away from that practice thinking the skill guys on the offense look off. Catching, throwing and timing weren't there today.

It really stood out to me during the full speed throwing on air period. Most of the down field throws were late forcing the receivers to slow down their routes while waiting for the ball. The inside breaking throws were mostly in front of or behind the receivers as well in that drill.

The best throw of the day IMO was the Hoyer throw to Chad in team when Chad beat McCorty in man coverage to the inside to break wide open. It was a beautiful route and throw which was of course dropped!

The offense has a lot of work to make up. It's only made more difficult with BB slowing the pace and with rookies missing and other other players watching from the sideline as they await Aug 4 to role around.

Having only three RBs out there is tough for a full practice. Ventrone took reps today as a look RB to help take up the slack. Things will get better once the roster is filled out and everyone who is healthy is out there practicing.

It really stood out to me during the full speed throwing on air period. Most of the down field throws were late forcing the receivers to slow down their routes while waiting for the ball. The inside breaking throws were most in front of or behind the receivers as well in that drill.

The best throw of the day IMO was the Hoyer throw to Chad in team when Chad beat McCorty in man coverage to the inside to break wide open. It was a beautiful route and throw which was of course dropped!

The offense has a lot of work to make up. It's only made more difficult with BB slowing the pace and with rookies missing another other players watching from the sideline as they await Aug 4 to role around.

Having only three RBs out there is tough for a full practice. Ventrone took reps today as a look RB to help take up the slack. Things will get better once the roster is filled out and everyone who is healthy is out there practicing.

It seems like every year the offense lags behind the defense early on. They usually get it going as the season gets closer. I do not really worry about how the offense is going to look, the defense I am very interested in how they look, and it seems it is working out pretty well so far.

It seems like every year the offense lags behind the defense early on. They usually get it going as the season gets closer. I do not really worry about how the offense is going to look, the defense I am very interested in how they look, and it seems it is working out pretty well so far.

Chev called it w/the D. Very intense, active and spirited yesterday. There's a lot of competition out there.

Great images AllWorldTE, thanks for posting them

Back