Patriots training camp practice news thread updated daily by all

Yes! Full report please, chevss!! Be looking forward to it. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm interested to see what formations BB lines him up in and where.

I'll be happy to get my first sight of him in a Pats jersey on the field to get an idea of his size relative to the other guys.

Reiss says Haynesworth is on the practice field. Progress.

Cool! I think I read the afternoon is the padded practice.
I wonder if AH's "conditioning test" was walking from his car to the LR? :p

NO, that would be to strenuous on a player with the new C B A:D

They might be ok with it if he wasn't in pads and no one was allowed to touch him on the way. :cool:

Well then they better have the shower turned on already, we don't want to hurt his plant hand;)

HAYNESWORTH MISSES JUST ONE PRACTICE BEFORE MAKING PATRIOTS DEBUT

From north of the Boarder
http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=372921

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Albert Haynesworth's first practice with the New England Patriots was uneventful -- other than the fact he was on the field just a couple days into training camp.

Haynesworth made his Patriots debut during a walkthrough Sunday. His role was mostly as an observer, but seeing him out there at all was a positive sign for the Patriots, who picked up the defensive lineman in a trade with the Washington Redskins on Friday.

Haynesworth missed the early part of training camp last year with the Redskins after repeatedly failing his conditioning test. He missed Saturday's practice for undisclosed reasons, but was on the field for Sunday morning's workout.

Fans didn't seemed worried about Haynesworth's spotted reputation as they clamoured for his autograph after the morning session.

Haynesworth may not be too far behind some of his new teammates thanks to the lockout, which wiped out official offseason training sessions.

Haynesworth is getting a crash course in the defence and etiquette expected under coach Bill Belichik, who has a history of getting players with troubled pasts to quietly walk the line in New England.

Receiver Chad Ochocinco, New England's other headliner with some baggage coming into training camp, also participated in the walkthrough and is already impressing his new teammates.

"I think we should be good. Chad's a great, proven player," receiver Deion Branch said. "The stuff they threw at him, I think he's done a great job of picking it up. The stuff that he's sliding on, we're going to try our best to help him out here and there. So far he hasn't needed it, so that's a good sign."

Ochocinco, who has vowed to keep a lower profile than his flamboyant days with the Cincinnati Bengals, did not speak Sunday.

That's probably just fine with the Patriots. Ochocinco said plenty Saturday when he spoke to reporters for the first time as a member of the Patriots.

Whatever his new profile is, the Patriots like the addition so far.

"The more the better. You add more quality, the better the team will be," Branch said. "This guy's a proven player. He's a great player and we're glad to have him."

Branch, a 10-year veteran, said the Patriots have had a lot of success following Belichik's strict approach to keeping the news coming out of the locker room as vanilla as possible, and he expects Ochocinco and Haynesworth to catch on quickly.

"Guys are pretty straightforward. Don't do a whole lot of nothing," Branch said. "We're boring players. We're boring until we get home around your family and stuff. This is all about business around here. Come in and do your job."

http://www.csnne.com/07/31/11/Notes...ding_patriots.html?blockID=545007&feedID=3352

Notes: Lockout rock star Gronk back to business
By Tom E. Curran

FOXBORO - Gronk took the lockout by the throat and wrung every bit of self-indulgent fun he could out of it.

As least that appeared to be the case. Gronk was here dancing, Gronk was there singing, Gronk was shirtless and flipping girls into the air like a flat-topped majorette.

Now? RoboGronk.

The second-year tight end isn't what you'd call comfortable in front of the media. Great guy but not a gifted orator.

For instance, here's the answer he rolled out when asked about wide receiver Chad Ochocinco.

"He's a great receiver. It was the coach's decision to bring him in. It is what it is and we're all trying to get better out here and I'm just working on my own aspect of the game just concentrating on my job to go out there and focus what I gotta do, what I gotta do to help do whatever's best for the team."

Blink. Blink. Blink.

Asked about his lockout domination, Gronkowski said, "That's all in the past now. Really don't matter what it is. Now we're just here concentrating on football. We're in camp and just trying to get better every day now."

But he did enjoy it, no?

"Cool thing was I got to be with my family a lot," he smiled. "So that was cool."

The one question Gronkowski did warm to was about recently released tight end Alge Crumpler.

"Alge Crumpler's a great guy and definitely gonna be missed," said Gronkowski who would often look at Crumpler before answering questions last year as a rookie. "I've already missed his presence. He's a great leader and I'm definitely gonna miss him. I hope the best for him too in the future. He wasn't just an awesome player but he was a great guy on and off the field."

Despite the high intensity fun Gronk enjoyed before football returned, he looks fresh as a daisy. A brilliant one-handed catch in the seam on a seemingly overthrown ball by quarterback Jonathan Crompton on Saturday was evidence that Rob Gronkowski, tight end lives. Gronk? He's gone for now.

Albert Haynesworth will be wearing No. 92. He spent most of the morning walkthrough hearing scheme talk on the field. The Patriots worked defensively on reading the running back in draw and screen situations for a few minutes and did so out of a 4-3 set.

Logan Mankins was also on the field but just observing, not participating. Any player signed to a new deal this year, whether it be a re-signing or a tender, cannot practice until August 4.

Deion Branch was, as usual, upbeat and informative in his session with reporters. He said that second-year player Taylor Price went through a tough rookie season under the scrutiny of coaches as he transitioned to the NFL but that he expects big things from the player who seems much more at ease.

Director of Player Personnel Nick Caserio said he expects BenJarvus Green-Ellis in camp this week. He's a restricted free agent but will be back with the Patriots unless a team gives him an offer New England declines to match.

On Haynesworth, Caserio said, "Albert’s been a good football player in this league, he’s big, he’s strong, he’s athletic and he’s a disruptive player. I think we’ve always taken the approach that if the guy’s a good football player, we’ll find a way to use him. In the end, it’s up to the player to determine what his role is going to be moving forward."

Still unsigned among prominent draft choices are first-rounder Nate Solder, second-rounder Ras-I Dowling and running back Shane Vereen.

Caserio was very positive about the physical and mental progress of Marcus Cannon who's coming back from lymphoma. "I think he’s still kind of going through his process. He looks great. He’s done everything he’s been asked to do to this point. I think we’re all optimistic. I don’t think we’re going to rush into anything. I think we’re going to let that timetable sort of run its course. He’s here. He’ll be here. I think there are a few more steps along the way for him that he’s going to have to take care of

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/07/haynesworth_tak.html

Haynesworth takes the field

Albert Haynesworth made his debut as a member of the New England Patriots today and this afternoon gave those at the public practice a glimpse at what he could bring this season.

Fans recognized Haynesworth as he strolled onto the practice field behind Gillette Stadium dressed in full pads. He gave the crowd a wave after hearing the massive applause for the newly acquired defensive lineman.

Haynesworth participated in a handful of drills, one of which included shoving offensive lineman Rich Ohrnberger backward on his first attempt. He showed a couple of impressive moves and then watched most of the rest of practice. He did not run sprints at the end of practice, choosing to join a few other players on the sidelines who were stretching.

He did shadow Patriots defensive line coach Pepper Johnson and kept a watchful eye over many drills. It seems the Patriots are slowly easing him into the fold.

---------------
If he stays the course we could be witnessing this season a very impressive Patriots D woohoo

Just got back from the pm practice. A few quick thoughts came to mind while sitting on the hill.

BB is taking it slow. I suspect he's trying to manage the squad as they get into shape after the sudden start after the lockout. He's looking to avoid injury and health problems.

The pace was slower than I've ever seen a full pad practice. The only time there was any real tempo at all was during 7 on 7 passing work. The big men are being carefully managed. The DL had a lot of down time today and the OL didn't do nearly the heavy work I'm used to seeing.

There was very little pre-practice work and the team spent time working team wide dynamic stretching and them split up by position for their regular stretch. Their sprint work was less extensive and a number of guys, including Haynesworth, worked on the side with one of the conditioning guys.
Their warm down period was more extensive and better organized than in the past as well.

These changes are most likely a combination of BB's efforts to take things slow and changes to the S&C program after Woicik's departure.

The rookies are in for a tough time trying to learn on the fly. Will Yeatman got an earful from Brady when he screwed up an assigned motion.

Mallet was behind the 8 ball a bit as well although it was less obvious to the crowd. In fact, the offense itself is well behind the defense. The timing just isn't there right now. There's a lot of work that needs to be made up.

I'll post some detailed observations later.

7/31 pm tc

92 degrees with full sun early and scattered clouds later. HOT.

The first thing I noticed after getting settled around 3 pm among a big crowd was a 4 man defensive front with Cunningham, VW, AH and Eric Moore at RDE. Fletcher was LLB, Spikes at MLB and Mayo was RLB (Will).
First play was blown up by Haynesworth crashing in on a RB who I couldn't see well but I think it was Ridley on a sweep left. That play drew a cheer from the crowd. Haynesworth was sent in sparingly after that. I agree with Reiss in that he looks like he carries his wt. well and I certainly wouldn't call him fat.

All plays in the first scrimmage showed a 4/3 D with various people coming in and out on both offense and defense. I didn't see a single 3 man front the entire time I was there but I left at 4:25. Good hustle and better play than I expected this early in camp.

In receiving drills I saw good hustle and good throws and good catches. Again better than anticipated so early except for a few dropped passes even from WW and Branch.

Back to scrimmaging, BB gave all the rookies ample playing time. Still all 4/3 D. I have no idea how these guys know what they are doing but I didn't notice any of them out of place or looking like they didn't belong. Silvestro, the UDFA, played LDE and looked good in the position with a lot of effort. On the other side, Ridley busted a long run for a TD to great applause. He seems faster and had better change of direction than what I remem him to have at LSU.

A few plays later Bodden intercepted Hoyer on a Rt sideline go route vs Gronk who then jumped on top of Bodden, swallowing him whole. The crowd gave a huge cheer at the comedy but Hoyer was pissed at himself. TB badly overthrew Chad on one play and the 2 had a 'discussion' back in the huddle. Chad then dropped a pass from Hoyer in the L flat that went right through his outreached hands. He has to make those catches.

Mallet took some snaps and looked good until a bad exchange sent him and Koppen on a lap around the field. Mallet looks effortless when he zings a perfectly spiraling flat line ball.

TB hit Gronk for a 25 yard gain up the L seam. Ocho dropped another pass and heard it from us fans. Maybe it's those 95 mph fastballs TB throws but Chad better get used to quick.

Kyle Hix, the OT from Texas looks just like Vollmer from the back. 6'7" and big. He played very well showing better feet and balance than I expected.

Random notes:

The D is way ahead of the offense as you might imagine.

Rookie TE Yeatman has to be taller and heavier than his listed size at least when he stands next to Gronk. They are at least equal and if anything Yeatman is a little bigger. Yeatman showed very good hands receiving, although he doesn't quite have Gronk's athleticism. Yeatman and rookie TE Lee Smith are similar in size; both showed very good blocking ability to my eyes. BB did his homework on these guys.

Tate returned punts displaying crazy speed and elusiveness drawing multiple cheers. Edelman was also good and returned a punt for a TD.

Chad was all business on the field. One thing that stood out big besides a couple of dropped passes is that Chad has a good arm and throws a perfect spiral with some zip. That could be of use down the road.

Slater also dropped 2 balls that I saw and overall the receivers showed only fair hands. The TEs showed excellent hands, otoh, including the 2 rookies, Yeatman and Smith.

Mayo and VW are definitely the D leaders and showed great hustle despite the heat. Mayo blew up an off tackle play then ripped the ball out for a recovered fumble. I couldn't see the RBs # but I'm sure he'll hear about that.

I was surprised at the 4 man front. I don't know what to make of it since it's not like BB to tip his hand. Somehow I get the feeling he is showing us what he wants us to see.

Just got back from the pm practice. A few quick thoughts came to mind while sitting on the hill.

BB is taking it slow. I suspect he's trying to manage the squad as they get into shape after the sudden start after the lockout. He's looking to avoid injury and health problems.

The pace was slower than I've ever seen a full pad practice. The only time there was any real tempo at all was during 7 on 7 passing work. The big men are being carefully managed. The DL had a lot of down time today and the OL didn't do nearly the heavy work I'm used to seeing.

There was very little pre-practice work and the team spent time working team wide dynamic stretching and them split up by position for their regular stretch. Their sprint work was less extensive and a number of guys, including Haynesworth, worked on the side with one of the conditioning guys.
Their warm down period was more extensive and better organized than in the past as well.

These changes are most likely a combination of BB's efforts to take things slow and changes to the S&C program after Woicik's departure.

The rookies are in for a tough time trying to learn on the fly. Will Yeatman got an earful from Brady when he screwed up an assigned motion.

Mallet was behind the 8 ball a bit as well although it was less obvious to the crowd. In fact, the offense itself is well behind the defense. The timing just isn't there right now. There's a lot of work that needs to be made up.

I'll post some detailed observations later.

I agree the D is way ahead of the offense. That was evident even to me. I missed TB giving it to Yeatman, still I find it remarkable these rookies are ever close to getting it right after only a few days with the pb.

I look forward to your detailed thoughts.

Great reports from AllWorldTE and chevss454 thanks guys, you made it feel as if I were there. Great JOB :clap:

Awesome reads and look forward to more!!! Wish I could have been there today!

I know it's early in TC and all, but AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I feel it in my bones, PP people...and my bones don't lie...(don't go there. I'm a beagle, remember?)

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOO!

Back