Patriots vs Browns :Sunday at 1:00pm Game Thread

I'm not looking at final scores, I know what my eyes tell me, for example;

1) Mac has a habit of playing tentative and hesitating on his throws, waiting for the guy to get open, rather than anticipating, and then sometimes he floats it so the guy is no longer open when the ball gets there. Zappe throws with authority and the ball arrives quicker.

2) Mac tries to run away from pressure, Zappe steps into the pocket

3) Mac has trouble going through progression, he can get to his primary and secondary reads. Zappe seems to find his 3rd and 4th man quickly, witness Jonnu Smith Sunday. Mac never gets that far down in his progression.

4) Zappe is better with the play action fake than Mac is. This is my favorite play, and the Pats should be able to exploit it with their running game.

5) The Patriots coaching staff seems to have more confidence letting Zappe throw into the end zone than they do with Mac. I think this goes back to Mac's habit of floating the ball in rather than zipping it in.

Understand, I'm not saying Mac sucks, but I am saying that Zappe is ahead of Mac in his situational awareness and fundamentals like his footwork, progressions, and anticipating where his receivers will be open and getting the ball there right on time, rather than a half second late.

Furthermore, more of an intangible...from what I see, the team around him plays better around him. I don't know why that is, but it is apparent to me.

I don't believe draft capital or contract money gives anyone a right to a job. Only performance, and right now, it's no contest as far as I see.

The body of evidence is too small to make the above observations with enough confidence to sack Mac. I am not saying you will ultimately be wrong, it might be that Zappe is better. You are just premature.

Not Like Brady/Bledsoe. Neither of these guys have been around long enough. Bledsoe quarterbacked this team for nine seasons. People were invested.
Current situation boils down to who can we win with. Roll with him. I’m taking the hot hand if I’m calling the shots.
...and the hot hand is?... :coffee:

I don't really care who the Patriot's quarterback is, as long as they win.
Yeah, I don't really care either way, much like I didn't in '01. I do think the Zap train is gaining steam from what people saw in the last game Jones played vs what they are seeing from Zap now. If you look back at what Jones was doing last year it is basically exactly what Zap is doing this year, the same safe offence. That works fine when the D holds up, but it doesn't when eventually we have to get into a shootout as shown vs the Bills last year.

...and the hot hand is?... :coffee:
The Z man. He’s frosty.
In Mac’s admittedly limited time this season, he has not appeared to have taken a step forward. Looks like a carbon copy of ‘21. Which isn’t bad, but not eye popping either.
Zappe has got something going on. A little bit of the ol’ IT factor.
But that just me. If it’s deemed Mac is the guy once healed up, I won’t be upset as long as he performs.

I don't know who'll be the Patriots qb in their last game this season. It could be someone nobody's ever heard of. Hopefully, it'll be a playoff game, but their current;y 3-3. They could end up anywhere between 3-14 and 14-3 (regular season). I'm glad they won Sunday, and we'll just see how they do next Monday night, I guess. It looks like they're improving.

I'm not looking at final scores, I know what my eyes tell me, for example;

1) Mac has a habit of playing tentative and hesitating on his throws, waiting for the guy to get open, rather than anticipating, and then sometimes he floats it so the guy is no longer open when the ball gets there. Zappe throws with authority and the ball arrives quicker.

2) Mac tries to run away from pressure, Zappe steps into the pocket

3) Mac has trouble going through progression, he can get to his primary and secondary reads. Zappe seems to find his 3rd and 4th man quickly, witness Jonnu Smith Sunday. Mac never gets that far down in his progression.

4) Zappe is better with the play action fake than Mac is. This is my favorite play, and the Pats should be able to exploit it with their running game.

5) The Patriots coaching staff seems to have more confidence letting Zappe throw into the end zone than they do with Mac. I think this goes back to Mac's habit of floating the ball in rather than zipping it in.

Understand, I'm not saying Mac sucks, but I am saying that Zappe is ahead of Mac in his situational awareness and fundamentals like his footwork, progressions, and anticipating where his receivers will be open and getting the ball there right on time, rather than a half second late.

Furthermore, more of an intangible...from what I see, the team around him plays better around him. I don't know why that is, but it is apparent to me.

I don't believe draft capital or contract money gives anyone a right to a job. Only performance, and right now, it's no contest as far as I see.
I'll add on,,
You don't see those floating lofting throws to the sidelines where the WR makes a circus catch.

And the TD throw to Thornton, I don't remember seeing Mac throw that dart into the end zone. Zap did it twice on Sunday.

The Z man. He’s frosty.
In Mac’s admittedly limited time this season, he has not appeared to have taken a step forward. Looks like a carbon copy of ‘21. Which isn’t bad, but not eye popping either.
Zappe has got something going on. A little bit of the ol’ IT factor.
But that just me. If it’s deemed Mac is the guy once healed up, I won’t be upset as long as he performs.
No doubt!

The body of evidence is too small to make the above observations with enough confidence to sack Mac. I am not saying you will ultimately be wrong, it might be that Zappe is better. You are just premature.
I disagree bud. Zappe has so far proven to me better intangibles than Mac. That doesn’t mean Mac is a bust because he isn’t and will have a tremendous NFL career. My eyes like Zappe better(not in a homosexual way either🙄) and his demeanor reminds me of a young Joe Montana… is he the next Joe Montana? Now that’s too early to tell. 🙂

I think we are fortunate to have these 2 QB's and having Zappe as the #2 instead of Hoyer is a big relief. I think if Mac plays on Monday and isn't playing well BB won't hesitate to bring in Zappe.

Mac was 1-2 with his only win vs a crappy team. Zappe has looked volumes better than Mac in all 3 games that he has played. The train has most definitely left the station.
I'm sure you saw this coming with me saying I disagree.I am willing to see how Mac does when he is back with a team that has improved on all phases since he last played. I will go from there.

I disagree bud. Zappe has so far proven to me better intangibles than Mac. That doesn’t mean Mac is a bust because he isn’t and will have a tremendous NFL career. My eyes like Zappe better(not in a homosexual way either🙄) and his demeanor reminds me of a young Joe Montana… is he the next Joe Montana? Now that’s too early to tell. 🙂
If this is the reward for having to deal with sCam and Stidham...I'll take it! ;)

That is why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Again, Zappe may be the better QB. I like what I have seen. I just haven’t seen it enough yet.

What a great “problem” to have. LOL

I'm sure you saw this coming with me saying I disagree.I am willing to see how Mac does when he is back with a team that has improved on all phases since he last played. I will go from there.
I am not sure there is a right or wrong here. Although I would hate to be Bill right now. I think letting Mac have a go and play is not a bad idea. I do think the team is playing better but I think that might be more from Zappe being in there. He seems to have that "it" factor where the whole team elevates around him. The issue is the Pats are in last place in the division. IMO, you don't want to drop any games in these next few otherwise you drop pretty far out of the race with given how tough the latter half of the schedule is. It will be fascinating to see what Bill does and what his reasoning is either way.

A wild card might be what kraft thinks. I wonder if he wants Mac in there given he is the #1 round pick or if he likes what he sees too much from Zappe and wants him in there to keep the hot hand.

Back