PatriotsPlanet Server Costs (PatsPlanet Gear spinoff)

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, while I appreciate the semi-annual fund raising and occassional random donations (they certainly help).. The server costs have gotten out of hand.

Before anyone suggests it or even thinks it... PatriotsPlanet will never go to a pay model with a "members only" section!

Ok, back on topic... I am looking for ideas to offset our fairly substantial monthly costs... as it stands our ad revenue is less than 10% of our cost. So, without putting annoying ads everywhere and without going to a pay model... does anyone have any ideas?

I don't expect PP to ever make money, that is not the point... but it would be nice if it could at least aproach covering 50% of it's own costs.

Test code...

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/4942043fa8ec9eb2/4a297d89a09ba637/4942043fa8ec9eb2/548718ec/-cpid/7218b31fcf409ee5" id="W4942043fa8ec9eb24a297d89a09ba637" width="174" height="314"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/4942043fa8ec9eb2/4a297d89a09ba637/4942043fa8ec9eb2/548718ec/-cpid/7218b31fcf409ee5" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /></object>

For those who dislike paypal...

Have someone design really sweet pats gear (T-shirts,etc.) and sell them at a good price so people will buy them and refer their pats friends to buy.

Have someone design really sweet pats gear (T-shirts,etc.) and sell them at a good price so people will buy them and refer their pats friends to buy.

That's a good idea but unfortunately the NFL would bring the hammer down...

We could have PatsPlanet gear if anyone is interested?

That's a good idea but unfortunately the NFL would bring the hammer down...

We could have PatsPlanet gear if anyone is interested?

I would especially if some of the artwork is from our resident artist Bornapatriot is it?:)

I have done some experimenting with design for Pats Planet gear on various sites. Pretty easy to do. I never opened them to the public. It'll make a few bucks, but nowhere near to offsetting the cost.

If it is ever the case where you feel you would have to close Patriots Planet, I'd be willing to take ownership first.

The NFL doesn't need to know does it? : D

Just a suggestion, not trying to bust balls or start trouble but what about something like they do over at www.dbstalk.com where you can make a donation once a year for lets say $15 and under or above the users Avatar it would say something like Patriots Planet CLUB MEMBER or I support Patriots Planet.

I have done some experimenting with design for Pats Planet gear on various sites. Pretty easy to do. I never opened them to the public. It'll make a few bucks, but nowhere near to offsetting the cost.

If it is ever the case where you feel you would have to close Patriots Planet, I'd be willing to take ownership first.

Not closing anytime soon, this thread was started at ChiefsPlanet and was suggested I also run it here...

I think PatsPlanet gear is the way to go. Be cool to have them out there, I know two huge pats fans here (both girls) that would love to get some.

Okay, I have a site that I already have a few things in, but I am asking the board here about our logo first in another thread.

Austin,

I have an idea which I suggested to Ian at PatsFans.com and it could work here as well. I know Ian is currently working on making it happen over there and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work here as well.

Here is the premise: What you have created here is an online community which congregates a very specific market niche - namely fans of the New England Patriots. This could be capitilized upon for both the benefit of the community and those looking to market to this demographic.

What I would suggest is the creation of a distinct "Marketplace" forum. This would be a forum for people to advertise products and goods which they feel may appeal to the membership of the Planet. It could cover large enterprises, such as the T-shirt makers (the ones who don't infringe upon any copyright violations) or it could cater to the guy who is looking to sell off his old tailgating gear. It would be a place for people to promote anything they feel may appeal to a Patriots fanbase - original artwork, old Pats memorabilia, apparel, etc.

Now here's how it would work - the Marketplace forum would be a public forum - anyone may visit and view the threads and respond to the threads, asking questions etc. However, only those who pay for the privelage of being a "Patriots Planet Promoter" would have the ability to create threads in the marketplace forum. This is where the revenue for the Planet is generated.

I would envision two forms of Promotional abilities - a year long "license" so to speak would enable the creation of unlimited threads within the Marketplace forum. This will appeal to your larger promoters who do the T-shirts and whatnot. As a dealer of Patriots themed autographed memorabilia I know I would be interested in promoting specific items in this forum on a regular basis. The price for this ability would be set, I would imagine, at $50-$100 per year.

Now you have the next tier of people - for example the guy looking to get rid of his old Pats card table and folding chairs. He doesn't need a year-long license - he just wants to try and sell this one thing. So he is able to purchase a one-time ability to create a thread in the Marketplace forum. The cost of this would be perhaps $5-$10.

It's like a huge virtual Patriots themed garage sale. The benefit to sellers is that they are advertising to a pre-built market of interested consumers. The benefit to the community is that they are able to peruse Pats gear at their leisure - if you aren't interested in buying anything or being promoted to, just stick to the regular forums.

I know on ebay things tend to get lost in the shuffle. Your a tiny voice in a huge ocean trying to speak to maybe 1% of that population. Here, a promoter could speak exclusively to his target audience. And promoters would have the ability to build relationships. I know ebay is flooded with fake autographs. It's hard to trust someone on a huge mega-site like ebay. Whereas here, individuals could get to know the specific dealers and learn who's legit.

Anyway - that's my idea. If you like it's all yours. If not, cool.

Austin,

I have an idea which I suggested to Ian at PatsFans.com and it could work here as well. I know Ian is currently working on making it happen over there and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work here as well.

Here is the premise: What you have created here is an online community which congregates a very specific market niche - namely fans of the New England Patriots. This could be capitilized upon for both the benefit of the community and those looking to market to this demographic.

What I would suggest is the creation of a distinct "Marketplace" forum. This would be a forum for people to advertise products and goods which they feel may appeal to the membership of the Planet. It could cover large enterprises, such as the T-shirt makers (the ones who don't infringe upon any copyright violations) or it could cater to the guy who is looking to sell off his old tailgating gear. It would be a place for people to promote anything they feel may appeal to a Patriots fanbase - original artwork, old Pats memorabilia, apparel, etc.

Now here's how it would work - the Marketplace forum would be a public forum - anyone may visit and view the threads and respond to the threads, asking questions etc. However, only those who pay for the privelage of being a "Patriots Planet Promoter" would have the ability to create threads in the marketplace forum. This is where the revenue for the Planet is generated.

I would envision two forms of Promotional abilities - a year long "license" so to speak would enable the creation of unlimited threads within the Marketplace forum. This will appeal to your larger promoters who do the T-shirts and whatnot. As a dealer of Patriots themed autographed memorabilia I know I would be interested in promoting specific items in this forum on a regular basis. The price for this ability would be set, I would imagine, at $50-$100 per year.

Now you have the next tier of people - for example the guy looking to get rid of his old Pats card table and folding chairs. He doesn't need a year-long license - he just wants to try and sell this one thing. So he is able to purchase a one-time ability to create a thread in the Marketplace forum. The cost of this would be perhaps $5-$10.

It's like a huge virtual Patriots themed garage sale. The benefit to sellers is that they are advertising to a pre-built market of interested consumers. The benefit to the community is that they are able to peruse Pats gear at their leisure - if you aren't interested in buying anything or being promoted to, just stick to the regular forums.

I know on ebay things tend to get lost in the shuffle. Your a tiny voice in a huge ocean trying to speak to maybe 1% of that population. Here, a promoter could speak exclusively to his target audience. And promoters would have the ability to build relationships. I know ebay is flooded with fake autographs. It's hard to trust someone on a huge mega-site like ebay. Whereas here, individuals could get to know the specific dealers and learn who's legit.

Anyway - that's my idea. If you like it's all yours. If not, cool.

That is a great idea and easy for me to implement.

I'll post a poll soon on this and other ideas and if there is interest I can have that ready this week.

That is a great idea and easy for me to implement.

I'll post a poll soon on this and other ideas and if there is interest I can have that ready this week.
hey Austin, speaking of "other ideas", has anyone taken Hog Farmer up on this offer of his yet over to ChiefsPlanet?

If anyone wants to buy a bag of boar semen I'll donate the proceeds to CP.
:LOL:

hmmmmm,

The "erotic services" forum is probably a bad idea....

I'd recommend checking with the legal eagles about "PatsPlanet" gear. This is the same league that forces advertisers to refer to "The Big Game".

I wonder is the "____Planet" phenomenon is in some way franchise-able in a way that would not be overly complicated but might present some economies of scale on the server and software side.

Piggybacking off of Den's idea, I know some college sites have deals with retailers where they receive a portion of sales as a "referring" site. They set it up as "X.com Shop" and the link directs through. One Michigan site, UMGoBlue.com, has a partnership with FootballFanatics.com, where if you're at UMGoBlue.com, you click "merchandise" and are taken to the FF store, with a partner code embedded so that a percentage of your purchases go to UMGoBlue.com. I'm not familiar with FF, but I know they have a substantial amount of NFL gear, and a good amount of Patriots things: http://www.footballfanatics.com/NFL_New_England_Patriots . I bet it is free to set up a partnership with them, because they get increased traffic and sales from referrals.

I know that I buy a TON of Patriots gear, as do quite a bit of our members. If we had the opportunity to buy the same things that we would normally buy...and also support the Planet in the process, it would be a win-win.

Piggybacking off of Den's idea, I know some college sites have deals with retailers where they receive a portion of sales as a "referring" site. They set it up as "X.com Shop" and the link directs through. One Michigan site, UMGoBlue.com, has a partnership with FootballFanatics.com, where if you're at UMGoBlue.com, you click "merchandise" and are taken to the FF store, with a partner code embedded so that a percentage of your purchases go to UMGoBlue.com. I'm not familiar with FF, but I know they have a substantial amount of NFL gear, and a good amount of Patriots things: http://www.footballfanatics.com/NFL_New_England_Patriots . I bet it is free to set up a partnership with them, because they get increased traffic and sales from referrals.

I know that I buy a TON of Patriots gear, as do quite a bit of our members. If we had the opportunity to buy the same things that we would normally buy...and also support the Planet in the process, it would be a win-win.

that sounds like a jv or an affiliate marketing type deal.

Keep the Planet free to use, but if you wanna see teh booby avatars, you gots to pay.

Overnight profit!

How about if you allow people to buy their way out of the Assclown Assylum. :D

Back