Pats 2nd Round #50 Pick -- Tyquan Thornton

True.
An UDFA CB or WR the Pats pick up? I'm all in. Same thing if it's a Scarneccia-scouted low pick OLinemen. Because the Pats have a lot of credibility and history here in the BB era.

A 1st or 2nd round WR or CB taken however? Absolutely not. Pats have blown a half dozen picks on busts. No confidence.

Did you know that under Belicick's leadership the Patriots have won SIX Super Bowls?

Don't take my word for it. Google it. There is video and everything. :clap:

True.
An UDFA CB or WR the Pats pick up? I'm all in. Same thing if it's a Scarneccia-scouted low pick OLinemen. Because the Pats have a lot of credibility and history here in the BB era.

A 1st or 2nd round WR or CB taken however? Absolutely not. Pats have blown a half dozen picks on busts. No confidence.
i agree that outside of a guy here and there, the wrs drafted have been underwhelming. before i say it's the worst in the nfl, i'd need to know
a)how pats value the position overall vs how other teams do
b)what traits they value vs. what other teams value
c) pats vs other teams willingness to pay for those things
d) maybe more if i keep thinking about it...😄

i agree that outside of a guy here and there, the wrs drafted have been underwhelming. before i say it's the worst in the nfl, i'd need to know
a)how pats value the position overall vs how other teams do
b)what traits they value vs. what other teams value
c) pats vs other teams willingness to pay for those things
d) maybe more if i keep thinking about it...😄

I know in BB's original Cleveland Browns draft manual his #1 criteria for WRs was can they get open. And he hit on Branch and Givens using this. Then the WR draft system was changed in 2004 by Caserio/McDaniels and it's been 18 years of crappy WR drafting (not counting low picks/UDFA) ever since. It's been supplemented by good trading (Welker, Moss), good drafting with Floyd Reese (Gronk, Edelman), and UDFA in Meyers and signing Bourne. But let's be self aware of where the Pats have had a blind spot. I remember everyone thinking (me included) NKeal Harry must be good because BB never spent a 1st on a WR. Nope same crappy WR drafting. I don't think it's a good sign that BB's statements were overly focused on 40-time. This is not his original Browns' or his dad's WR scouting method which was about whether a guy can get open or not (route running). He drafts like Al Davis at WR when speed burners are not what makes a good WR (Cooper Kupp ran a 4.65....)

@DropKickFlutie
interesting
do you know what specifically caused a change in 04?
i do remember bb or some personnel guy for pats talking about how hard it was to judge how they get off press because it's a lot more rare in college.

@DropKickFlutie
interesting
do you know what specifically caused a change in 04?
i do remember bb or some personnel guy for pats talking about how hard it was to judge how they get off press because it's a lot more rare in college.

If you don't want to read the whole thing do a word search for Caserio:

If my logic is faulty, than how come there isn't an equal number of starting QBs in the league that were taken in the 7th round vs the 1st? If rounds and draft position don't matter, and the pundits are so wrong, then why are the vast majority of players picked in the rounds and at the spots they were predicted? Hell, if they are all so wrong, why evaluate players at all, hell, why not just put all the names in a hat and let teams pull blindly. The level of twisting and contorting going on to make excuses for Bill's selections here is ridiculous and defensive. The Bill apologists here would be more honest If they just admitted that Bill went off the rails of traditional draft logic and wait to see the results. Fact of the matter is I get the sense that excuses are already being formed because the truth is this draft really scares them every bit as much as it does me.

These are not the droids you’re looking for…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I know in BB's original Cleveland Browns draft manual his #1 criteria for WRs was can they get open. And he hit on Branch and Givens using this. Then the WR draft system was changed in 2004 by Caserio/McDaniels and it's been 18 years of crappy WR drafting (not counting low picks/UDFA) ever since. It's been supplemented by good trading (Welker, Moss), good drafting with Floyd Reese (Gronk, Edelman), and UDFA in Meyers and signing Bourne. But let's be self aware of where the Pats have had a blind spot. I remember everyone thinking (me included) NKeal Harry must be good because BB never spent a 1st on a WR. Nope same crappy WR drafting. I don't think it's a good sign that BB's statements were overly focused on 40-time. This is not his original Browns' or his dad's WR scouting method which was about whether a guy can get open or not (route running). He drafts like Al Davis at WR when speed burners are not what makes a good WR (Cooper Kupp ran a 4.65....)
All I can say is to parrot what Chevs said...and I believe him. Harry was Caserio's pick. BB let him do it. Big eyes isn't here anymore...

interesting...

"[Thornton] also was on the radar of the Packers, Saints and others as a Day 2 option," Fowler wrote. "He combined the 4.28 speed with strong interviews, as teams liked his football acumen. Some saw him as a Day 3 prospect, to be sure. But he was a classic riser in the weeks leading up to the draft, and the Patriots visited with him very late in the process, which was telling."

All I can say is to parrot what Chevs said...and I believe him. Harry was Caserio's pick. BB let him do it. Big eyes isn't here anymore...
So you would agree that the eventual results of this draft fall squarely on the shoulders of Bill?

So you would agree that the eventual results of this draft fall squarely on the shoulders of Bill?
Let's all roll over and show grogan, dkf, mazz, I50, all them wizards, our belly's and throats. We're done for.

And with regard to believing Chevss454, I think most of moron homers are well aware that Chev knows more than any of us (and surely more than DKM and his ilk) about the Pats' inside goings on.

Matt Gates of XPE Sports in Ft. Lauderdale, who worked with the 6-foot-2, 181-pound Thornton for a 10-week stretch that began in early January, is optimistic.

"When we started pre-testing, I was like, 'Man, we've got something here,'" he said. "Super smooth. Super explosive. And honestly, for a guy that is that fast, you don't typically see someone who can change directions and catch the ball well. A lot of times you'll see straight-ahead wide receivers who can blow the top off it, but they can't run a route. Tyquan can do all that -- he's got good hands, he's smart, he picks things up quick."

Matt Gates of XPE Sports in Ft. Lauderdale, who worked with the 6-foot-2, 181-pound Thornton for a 10-week stretch that began in early January, is optimistic.

"When we started pre-testing, I was like, 'Man, we've got something here,'" he said. "Super smooth. Super explosive. And honestly, for a guy that is that fast, you don't typically see someone who can change directions and catch the ball well. A lot of times you'll see straight-ahead wide receivers who can blow the top off it, but they can't run a route. Tyquan can do all that -- he's got good hands, he's smart, he picks things up quick."

He better be right.

I think he was worth taking the risk. When you have that kind of speed, hands, cutting ability, and able to pick up schemes with ease then you have to take that chance. I think Bill recognizes that average speed is not going to cut it. Sometimes you have to roll the dice hoping you land the guy that will transform your offense.

Last edited:
Yes. Obviously. It wasn't one of BB's best sign-offs...
Well maybe it will be, I hope it is. My main gripe is that when you go this far outside the majority consensus on every single pick, you're saying you know more than anyone else, so you better be right.

Well maybe it will be, I hope it is. My main gripe is that when you go this far outside the majority consensus on every single pick, you're saying you know more than anyone else, so you better be right.
i don't think it's that they think they know more than anyone else...period. but i do think they know more about their model of teambuilding which is different from many other teams. so what is right for 1 team is not necessarily right for another. which is why 1 size fits all draft rankings can be misleading.

Back