Pats Appreciation Thread

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
The recent draft, along with a PM exchange with Patsfanroach, has caused me to reflect about how special this team is and how lucky we are to be fans of this team in this era.

BB has largely rebuilt the defense into one of the youngest, fastest and most talented units in the NFL. Sure, there will be some growing pains and there are some areas to finish up, but in spite of the lack of a pass rusher and DL in the draft I think that we have one of the most talented defensive nuclei in the NFL.

The offense has put up 500 point seasons twice in the past 4 years usng 2 completely different approaches. All signs suggest that the Pats are not content to "stand" Pat, but are actively working to rework their offensive approach to be more diversified and more physical. The past two drafts have seen BB lay the framework for completely rebuilding the offense as well. The TE and RB positions are now completely overhauled from 13 months ago, and the foundation has been laid for the future OL for at least 3 out of the 5 starting positions.

Finally, the Ryan Mallett trade offers the first real glimpse to a post-Brady future for the Pats. Realistically, I think that most of us have not really envisioned a post-Brady era in which the Pats could continue to be perennial contenders. Mallett may turn out to be Ryan Leaf II, or he may end up being trade fodder in a few years. But there is no doubt that he is one of the more physically talented pro QB prospects to come around in a while, and giving him the opportunity to learn under TB and BB and develop without intense scrutiny and pressure at least offers the possibility that he could end up becoming Steve Young to Tom Brady's Joe Montana.

Which brings us to the 49ers. I went to college in the Bay area in 1979 and lived there until 1985, getting to witness first hand the rise of the 49ers dynasty. Prior to Bill Walsh the 49ers were a bit of a laughing-stock, and they came out of no-where in 1981 to win the Super Bowl. For the next 15 years they were a perenniel contender, winning 5 times. Some years were relative disappointments, but they were never out of contention. They managed to completely overhaul their roster twice during that time. They had the most stable and smartest ownership and front office in the NFL during that time, from owner Eddie DeBartolo to team president Carmen Policy to Walsh himself, and all of his proteges. But Bill Walsh burned out after 8 years, Montana started slipping after about a decade, and the DeBartalo family finally impoded in the late 1990's, leading to the current fiasco under the York-DeBartolo offshoot.

The Patriots have come close to duplicating what the 49ers did, and in some ways are poised to shatter their accomplishments. Consider:

- Robert Kraft has been the team owner since 1994, and has provided the most stable ownership framework in football. He is a league statesman, and shows no signs of slowing down.

- Bill Belichick has run the team - in all facets - since 2000. Again, he shows no signs of slowing down. Unlike Bill Walsh, who looked exhausted by 1988, or Bill Parcells, who couldn't stay in one place for more than 7 years, BB seems to relish the challenge of climbing the mountain every season and actually seems to be re-invigorated by the rebuilding process. I got the sense that he really enjoyed seeing the youngsters develop last year, and that he's having more fun than ever. He tore down the photos of the championship players at Gillette last year, and there's no resting on laurels.

- Tom Brady has been the unquestioned leader of the team for a decade now. He just won his 2nd MVP with a record-setting season, and shows no signs of deteriorating. He says he wants to play for 6-10 more years, and drafting a young Turk QB may be just the thing to get the ultra-competitive Brady to spur himself on to even greater heights. And if he changes his mind and decides to walk away, or if his skills start to erode in a year or two, we just may have a viable alternative in place.

Logic says all good things must come to an end, and at some point it will all come crashing down. But right now it seems like the Patriots are able to just keep reloading and rebuilding, step by step. 4 more picks in the first 2 rounds of 2012 say that the process will continue next year ... and most likely the next year ... and the next. We are probably 1-2 OLs and 1 WR from completing the rebuilding of the offense for the next 5-10 years, and 1 DL and 1 OLB from doing the same with the defense.

Of course there's no guarantee that the Pats will win another Super Bowl under Belickick-Kraft-Brady, but we should be leading contenders for the next 5 years and possibly much longer. For those who are disappointed by our recent draft, I'm not so sure that people appreciate just how extraordinary this team is, and how fortunate we are. There must be some serious good Karma at work here.

Great post Mayo, as usual.

I don't think it's an accident that BB has mad respect for Walsh and his methods.

Like some of the Pats offshoot guys, Policy was a trainwreck when he went to another team to help run it which can be seen as an indicator that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I absolutely LOVE the fact the Pats are getting more tough and physical. Shows BB's willingness to change his approach when an idea fails (and yes I consider the "finesse O" movement in 07 to be a failure). Though they didn't win a playoff game last year, I saw them becoming more tough mentally and physically and that was my favorite part of the season, watching the progress.

When looking at the draft I have always "WTFed" at some of it, but I also realize that different Pats teams require different approaches in the draft too. I mean look at all the guys BB dumped right away when he took over. The lack of BB approved talent on that roster helped dictate keeping a 4th QB who turned out to be amazing. This roster probably wouldn't support keeping a 4th QB.

Also, putting it as DeBartolo-York has more comedic value than York-DeBartolo. :D

I am glad that I am not the only one who feels this way about this franchise. We are so spoiled. The 49ers were the best franchise in the NFL for about 5 years then they went away for 10. The Pats have already lasted twice as long at the top (I know not the best but at the top) and there are no signs of it falling apart. The triumverate of Bardy, Bill and Mr. Kraft are not going anywhere anytime soon and all three appear to still be in their prime for their positions. I agree with others that an pass rush would have been nice but i do not think that the scouts saw what they wanted so they continued to build the offense. MC is correct they are really just a few positions away from a total rebuild just since 2007. We are lucky and we are spoiled. Our team is money and we don't even know it.

I am glad that I am not the only one who feels this way about this franchise. We are so spoiled. The 49ers were the best franchise in the NFL for about 5 years then they went away for 10. The Pats have already lasted twice as long at the top (I know not the best but at the top) and there are no signs of it falling apart. The triumverate of Bardy, Bill and Mr. Kraft are not going anywhere anytime soon and all three appear to still be in their prime for their positions. I agree with others that an pass rush would have been nice but i do not think that the scouts saw what they wanted so they continued to build the offense. MC is correct they are really just a few positions away from a total rebuild just since 2007. We are lucky and we are spoiled. Our team is money and we don't even know it.

I feel blessed that I was a humble fan of this team for this many years and they went on to accomplish what they did. In that, I guess thats why I am not so ready to jump down their throats when they do not win the superbowl every year. I have seen the other side and most fans would kill to be in the spot we are in as fans. Its always fun to trash everything after you dont win the superbowl, but look over at the fans of teams that have never seen one or have watched their team have a losing record for the past 10 years.

Let's look at 5 possible torpedoes that could sink the Duck Boat fleet.

1. Brady gets injured. Been there, done that. Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassell and turned a 7th round pick into a 1st rounder. You say lightning won't strike twice, but it already has.

2. Brady retires. BB could be grooming his replacement, or with his annual rollover 1st round pick he could package both first rounders and move up to get a top QB in the draft.

3. Brady is traded: Not likely, but not ridiculous, either. Kraft doesn't mind jettisoning the union rep. (ask Vrabel and Woody) and Brady being the face piece of the lawsuit might be a thorn in Kraft's side. Brady goes and 2 more 1st rounders fill the war chest. Whichever QB that steps up won't have to be Brady, just manage the game. There are a lot of weapons to use, just don't screw up.

4. BB retires. Unlike other coaches who empty the team war chest of draft picks and leave their already bad team in a draft black hole upon their termination, BB will likely be handing the next coach a full compliment of draft picks as well as a good team. It would take even a bad coach a few years to piss that away (see Carrol, Pete.) Kraft would also have the luxury of trading picks for a coach. The last time he had to do that it worked out OK.

5. Kraft retires/dies. The team gets taken over by Jonathan, who better learn some "people skills," or the Pats go down the drain fast. Danny Kraft is the dark horse here. Hopefully he is involved behind the scenes and can balance out his brother.

BB has set the team up nicely for the future and we get to enjoy the ride.

3. Brady is traded: Not likely, but not ridiculous, either. Kraft doesn't mind jettisoning the union rep. (ask Vrabel and Woody) and Brady being the face piece of the lawsuit might be a thorn in Kraft's side. Brady goes and 2 more 1st rounders fill the war chest. Whichever QB that steps up won't have to be Brady, just manage the game. There are a lot of weapons to use, just don't screw up.

Umm...arn't Peyton and Drew Brees doing the same thing? Anyway, this team is not near a point where they can have a Qb just manage the game and win superbowls. Kraft might be a lot of things but I doubt he trades Brady when the team would be left with an inexperienced undrafted Free agent in his second year and a rookie at QB because the players and owners are arguing over money no more than the colts would trade manning or the saints trade brees for the same reason, although I heard this painter kid is the next Joe Montana.

Back