Pats-eagles

The Eagles rushing success is all tied to Vick. Atlanta was the same way, turning a solid RB corps into consistently league leaders. It wasn't a coincidence that they slowed down considerably last week, despite facing a Giant defense than isn't very good against the run.

The Eagles rushing success is all tied to Vick. Atlanta was the same way, turning a solid RB corps into consistently league leaders. It wasn't a coincidence that they slowed down considerably last week, despite facing a Giant defense than isn't very good against the run.

I don't know if it's all tied to Vick. McCoy is pretty good on his own and their run plays are well designed to maximize deception and yardage gained. When the Pats drafted Vereen, I thought immediately that Vereen reminded me of McCoy more than any other back.

--------------------

jerrythornton1 Jerry Thornton

Eagles Will Start Their Deranged Sociopath QB vs Pats. Not That One, the Other One - bit.ly/sOeXef

From PFF

Three to Focus on: Patriots @ Eagles, Week 12

November 25th, 2011 | Author: Rodney Hart
As the New England Patriots prepare to face the Philadelphia Eagles, it’s hard not to imagine that a fair share of warnings haven’t been thrown around the Patriots’ locker room. This time of year is always a dangerous time to play a 4-6 team—it’s too early for them to feel completely out of the mix, yet the desperation of needing to win every remaining game is never more important. Following a valiant performance by their defensive line, the Eagles looked like a team emotionally ready to make run after pulling out a close game against the Giants last week. This week should be a good test as to whether or not they are actually physically capable of making the run they would need.
The Patriots are coming off of their best defensive performance of the year after beating the Chiefs handily on Monday Night Football, 34-3. Granted, it was against a Tyler Palko-led Chiefs team who recently acquired Kyle Orton, which should be a good indication that the Chiefs never believed Palko to be “their guy” in the first place. With a seemingly secure grasp on their division, the Patriots will have to fight the urge to take this game lightly—having Bill Belichick at the helm is a good way to fight that.
Here are three things to keep your eye on in this game:

LeSean McCoy vs. Patriots Front Seven
Maybe it’s just me, but the season LeSean McCoy (+16.2 rush grade) is having seems buried in the talk about how disappointing the Eagles’ season has been. Not only is McCoy’s rush grade best among all NFL backs, he also ranks high on two other PFF Signature Stats. The first is PFF’s Elusive Rating which looks at how running backs are performing beyond the point of being helped by their blockers, on which McCoy is ranked 11th primarily because of his 38 forced missed tackles. He also ranks fifth on PFF’s Breakaway Percentage with 42.5% of all of his yards coming on runs of 15 yards or more, and he’s second among all running backs with 16 of those runs. Key to slowing down the attack will be Andre Carter (+19.2) who has yet to grade negatively in run defense this season. His +11.2 grade against the run is fourth among all defensive ends, and is only one of five defensive ends with at least 500+ snaps that has yet to miss a tackle.

Rob Gronkowski vs. Eagles Linebackers
Saints’ fans might bristle at my next statement, but Rob Gronkowski (+16.4) is the best young tight end in the NFL. Yes, Jimmy Graham isn’t far off, but he’s not nearly as complete as Gronkowski is at this point in his career. Gronkowski leads all tight ends in both pass grade (+14.1) and blocking grade (+5.1). In last week’s game against the Chiefs, Gronkowski caught two touchdown passes that perfectly highlighted what makes him so special. On the first he flashed his burst and balance as he tight-roped the sideline to finish off his first 52-yard touchdown, and the second highlighted how tough he is to bring down as he broke multiple tackles and hurdled in for a 19-yard score. This is now his second consecutive season with 10 touchdowns, which is impressive because it has become evident teams are beginning to gameplan against him. In PFF’s Signature Stat, Yards per Route Run, Gronkowski is second only to Jimmy Graham with 770 yards on 325 passing routes. It should be safe to say that Gronk will be a tough task for any of the Eagles linebackers. That is, assuming the Eagles don’t draw up a more elaborate way of assigning defensive personnel to the sophomore tight end.

Eagles D-Line vs. Patriots O-Line
There weren’t more than a handful of Eli Manning’s 38 dropbacks against the Eagles where he looked truly comfortable against the Eagles’ defensive line. With their “Wide 9” defensive front, the Eagles generated 34 total QB disruptions (5 sacks, 4 hits, and 25 pressures), and sealed the game with a strip sack from Jason Babin (+12.2). Every major contributor on the Eagles defensive line has a positive overall grade: Babin, Cullen Jenkins (+11.8), Mike Patterson (+5.9), Trent Cole (+18.8), and Trevor Laws (+2.2). Though most of the hype in the offseason surrounded the secondary with two new added pieces, the defensive line looks to be the piece capable of carrying the defensive effort. They will be a tough task for the Patriots offensive line that has been similarly impressive this season, yet not flawless. The Patriots offensive line ranks fifth in PFF’s Pass Blocking Efficiency, however there have been times in various games where they’ve looked vulnerable. For example, at one stretch in the second quarter of last week’s game the line looked completely confused and outmatched, allowing three sacks in just five dropbacks. Against a front like the Eagles, if Patriots offensive line gets off to a similarly slow start Patriots fans just better hope Brady is able pick himself up off the deck every time he goes down.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/25/three-to-focus-on-patriots-eagles-week-12/

Their pass rush can be scary good and it's what concerns the most for this game.

The Eagles game is the still the game that worry's me the most. They have a good running game and Speed WR's that can give trouble to are Patchwork secondary.

I don't know if it's all tied to Vick. McCoy is pretty good on his own and their run plays are well designed to maximize deception and yardage gained. When the Pats drafted Vereen, I thought immediately that Vereen reminded me of McCoy more than any other back.

--------------------

OK, I'll rephrase. THe Eagles greatness as rushing is tied to Vick. Just like Dunn was a soid back who would have been good addition anywhere, he wasn't someone who you could build a league leading rushing attack by himself.

I like to see them use more of Vereen and Ridley this week. Benny still not 100% and Woodhead is mostly being used as the 3rd down back.

OK, I'll rephrase. THe Eagles greatness as rushing is tied to Vick.

I can live with this; at least til the game starts. :thumb:

This will be the first time we've faced Asante since he left. Who doesn't think of this play any time 'Asante' gets mentioned?

:cuss:
:banghead:

:banghead:

I like to see them use more of Vereen and Ridley this week. Benny still not 100% and Woodhead is mostly being used as the 3rd down back.

I agree. Win or lose for the Pats, this will likely be the toughest game down the stretch against perhaps the best assembly of playoff-caliber players (if not QB/coaching) that the young/inexperienced guys on both sides of the ball will have a chance see. It will be a good learning experience for them and they might pick up some things that may benefit them in the post-season.

Here's the link to Nuggetpalooza. I love to read this but don't always remember to do it!

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports.../2011/11/26/nuggetpalooza-patriots-vs-eagles/

– One of those “little things” that will many times spell the difference between a great season and a disappointing one is Red Zone Efficiency. This season, Red Zone Efficiency has helped the Eagles year go off the rails. On offense, Philly has averaged just 4.11 points per red zone drive (26th), managing just 44% touchdowns (26th), and turning the ball over a league leading eight times. On defense, they’ve allowed 5.42 average points (31st), allowed 69% touchdowns (last), and forced just one turnover.

Note this: New England’s red zone numbers: Offense: 5.16 average points (4th), 62% touchdowns (3rd), and two turnovers. Defense: 4.33 average points allowed (10th), 50% touchdowns (14th), and five turnovers forced.

This one and the one about converting third downs on offense declining recently are my picks for most interesting.

Already announced as out tomorrow:

Patrick Chung, CB Devin McCourty, C Dan Connolly and WR Chad Ochocinco are out vs. Eagles.

Patrick Chung, CB Devin McCourty, C Dan Connolly and WR Chad Ochocinco are out vs. Eagles.

What will we do without Ocho....?

Advantage Birds....

Wait, is this the Karma thread ?

GregABedard Greg A. Bedard

Not a good sign "<s>@</s>PhilGoodlife: That means his days are numbered"
translation
Many Pats reporters have tweeted that Chad never showed a sign of a hammy walking around the facilities. PG states "That means..."
Bedard responds with "Not a good sign"

SI_PeterKing Peter King

RT <s>@</s>QBKILLA: <s>@</s>ochocinco How You Get Hurt On Your Year Off?? ... Ladies and gents, I present my Tweet of the Week.
translation
QBKILLA is Warren Sapp. Sapp asked Ocho "How You Get Hurt...?
To which P King responds, "Ladies and gents, I present my Tweet of the Week".

Spikes and Fletcher previously ruled out. I'm guessing that one of Vollmer, Light or Branch is the seventh inactive tomorrow. Seems like BB is giving some of these guys extra time to rest-up and get healthy in time for the playoffs.

I mean, except for Ocho.

Spikes and Fletcher previously ruled out. I'm guessing that one of Vollmer, Light or Branch is the seventh inactive tomorrow. Seems like BB is giving some of these guys extra time to rest-up and get healthy in time for the playoffs.

I mean, except for Ocho.

Something just doesn't add up with Ochocinco. Not 1 reporter indicated he appeared hindered and yet he suddenly shows up on the injury report with a hammy. Then he walks through the locker room without a hitch in his gait and his locker is packed to travel. Now he's out. There's more to story but I'd wager the story begins with "Ocho, we're making a change..."

I wonder how many times the announcers will mention that NE is down to their #3 center. Personally, I'd put the O/U at 0.5.

I wonder how many times the announcers will mention that NE is down to their #3 center. Personally, I'd put the O/U at 0.5.

The announcers for the game are Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf. Gumbel does his homework. I'll take the 'over' but nothing would surprise me.

This could be a tough game. I am in NJ having treatments and the So. Jersey and Phila papers have the Eagles winning by 7. I am going to the game today but because the Philadelphia sports fans are like animals i won't were any Pats garb. I hope it is a blow out by the Pats so I can do some gloating.

This could be a tough game. I am in NJ having treatments and the So. Jersey and Phila papers have the Eagles winning by 7. I am going to the game today but because the Philadelphia sports fans are like animals i won't were any Pats garb. I hope it is a blow out by the Pats so I can do some gloating.

I hope all is going well with you.

Have a great time at the game today. Be sure to scout those fans around you before rooting for the Pats in an extreme manner.

This will be a tough game. That Philly pass rush has me concerned far more than their offense.

I mean, except for Ocho.

I'm guessing it's probably Mallett. We don't need 3 QBs on the game day roster.

The thought of Wendell at center all day kind of makes me sick. He wasn't too bad subbing in last week, but he's just not that good, and I had nightmares of Brady getting killed, especially since Vollmer hasn't appeared to be playing that great of late, either.

So today do we see Edelman at WR, DB, and ST?

Back