Pats work out OLB Roth

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...id/4699054/patriots-work-out-pass-rusher-roth

Patriots work out pass rusher Roth
August, 2, 2011

By Mike Rodak
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The Patriots worked out free-agent outside linebacker Matt Roth, according to a league source. Roth is a pass-rusher who could be the next piece in Bill Belichick's revamped defense.

The 28-year-old Roth has played for the Dolphins (2005-2009) and Browns (2009-2010), and has a background in the Patriots' defensive system from his time with those clubs. The Browns' coach the last two seasons, Eric Mangini, ran a similar defense to New England. When Roth was in Miami, the Dolphins' defense was in the mold of Bill Parcells, the team's executive vice president at the time.

Roth (6-4, 275) would project to outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, but would also fit as a defensive end in a four-man line, which the Patriots have been using in training camp with Albert Haynesworth and Vince Wilfork in the middle as defensive tackles. Roth started 16 games last season for the Browns, finishing with 59 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

Roth played in college at Iowa.

In addition to Roth, the Patriots also worked out center/guard Chris Morris (6-4, 305). The 28-year-old Morris has played for the Raiders (2006-2009) and Panthers (2010). The Patriots have been shorthanded along the offensive line in training camp, but will have left guard Logan Mankins and left tackle Matt Light returning to the field Aug. 4.

Cheers, BostonTim

DE conversion maybe? Could be interesting, though I'd rather see them use Wright in a monster DE role than Roth.

After this offseason, I'll be stunned if you guys come out in a 3-4 once games start.

After this offseason, I'll be stunned if you guys come out in a 3-4 once games start.
Ah, but picture this (versatility) - D lines up in a traditional 4-3:

Wright - Wilfork - Fat Albert - Cunningham
Fletcher Spikes Mayo

Now we have a pre-snap adjustment after your QB and line make their "coming to the line" reads and adjustments, and suddenly Cunny stands up and they all shift a gap, suddenly, we're in a 3-4 with the same personnel, but your qb and line have to change up all their calls and protections.

Maybe it's a wrinkle they use, maybe it isn't, but if they have the versatility to run it, it certainly wouldn't stun me to see both fronts in certain situations. Particularly as a shift scenario.

Fletcher Spikes Mayo

Now we have a pre-snap adjustment after your QB and line make their "coming to the line" reads and adjustments, and suddenly Cunny stands up and they all shift a gap, suddenly, we're in a 3-4 with the same personnel, but your qb and line have to change up all their calls and protections.

Maybe it's a wrinkle they use, maybe it isn't, but if they have the versatility to run it, it certainly wouldn't stun me to see both fronts in certain situations. Particularly as a shift scenario.
To do it right requires a guy who can switch seamlessly from OLB to DE and back again.

Otherwise you're just dropping someone into coverage who shouldn't be there, or putting someone on the LOS who shouldn't be there either.

However, if you do have that guy, it would be incredibly effective to disguise a presnap coverage

To do it right requires a guy who can switch seamlessly from OLB to DE and back again.

Otherwise you're just dropping someone into coverage who shouldn't be there, or putting someone on the LOS who shouldn't be there either.

However, if you do have that guy, it would be incredibly effective to disguise a presnap coverage

Willie used to be that guy, Thomas was supposed to be that guy hopefully Cunningham can turn into it.

One could argue that most 3-4 OLB's "shouldn't be there" but they still end up there...

Well, Roth ain't Umenyora, but he's probably the best of what's still available in the FA market and would cost neither the draft pick nor the contract that Osi will command. Would Osi be better? Of course. Is Osi really needed on a team with all the defensive players they already have? Probably not, if they can get Roth at least. Having added Roth and Haynesworth will certainly help that low-ranked third-down defense from last season.

Fletcher Spikes Mayo

They'll do it. It's classic BB. And it will work more often than not because of VW and Haynesworth crashing the line. Add in Spikes in a blitz and it gets even better. So many variations of the theme. I'm loving this.

Roth. Solid backup.

Now that NE has tipped its hand to their 4-3 intentions, Roth makes even less sense. Unless he signs on as simply a camp body I don't see it at all.

Now that NE has tipped its hand to their 4-3 intentions, Roth makes even less sense. Unless he signs on as simply a camp body I don't see it at all.

Roth can be a solid backup who can transform easily from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE. He isn't spectacular, I agree, but I think he can be an every game dependable contributor. Is he Osi? No, but even though reports have the Pats as an interested party in Osi, chances of that happening are probably very slim. Roth is a reasonable alternative, imo.

Roth can be a solid backup who can transform easily from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE. He isn't spectacular, I agree, but I think he can be an every game dependable contributor. Is he Osi? No, but even though reports have the Pats as an interested party in Osi, chances of that happening are probably very slim. Roth is a reasonable alternative, imo.

Perhaps my views are clouded by months of reading about how Roth would be an immediate upgrade to the starters and a key part of improving the defense.

Perhaps my views are clouded by months of reading about how Roth would be an immediate upgrade to the starters and a key part of improving the defense.

I don't think Roth would be a starter over Cunningham or Moore. Just solid backup relief and contributor 8-10 plays/game.

I never bought into this theory

I don't think Roth would be a starter over Cunningham or Moore. Just solid backup relief and contributor 8-10 plays/game.

Fair enough. He's clearly an NFL caliber player, if only at the JAG level. If he signs an easy-to-cut contract I'll get on board. But I seriously doubt NE is going to give him several million bucks a year.

Fair enough. He's clearly an NFL caliber player, if only at the JAG level. If he signs an easy-to-cut contract I'll get on board. But I seriously doubt NE is going to give him several million bucks a year.
That would be, imo, a financial travesty. He's a 1.1M flyer guy at best. His attitude was always a question mark, and he doesn't have the upside to make any sort of risk worthwhile.

Clayborn says they haven't re-contacted him...yet. They're waiting to see how the whole Osi saga pans out...

I like Roth...he would be a solid rotation guy and is stout against the run. But he's every overrated by a lot of people!

Has to be for the right money though!

Clayborn says they haven't re-contacted him...yet. They're waiting to see how the whole Osi saga pans out...

I like Roth...he would be a solid rotation guy and is stout against the run. But he's every overrated by a lot of people!

Has to be for the right money though!

Yeah and the thing is, we have stout against the run, we need great motor to the Qb, tear his head off, piss down his throat kinda OLB.

Could be wrong but IIRC he played a decent role in the Browns victory over the Saints in a hybrid role. Think the Browns played a lot of 2 DL in that game. with him and Bowens (who made the big plays).

Could be wrong but IIRC he played a decent role in the Browns victory over the Saints in a hybrid role. Think the Browns played a lot of 2 DL in that game. with him and Bowens (who made the big plays).

Did he rip Brees's head off and piss down his throat? Cause thats what I need him to do.

Back