Peerless Price anyone?

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
Got this off http://www.fanball.com/. Sounds like a reclamation project. Boy, has this guy's stock fallen since he left Buffalo.

THE NEWS
The Patriots are interested in acquiring the services of free agent wideout Peerless Price, who played in Dallas last season before being cut in November, according to ESPN.com.

-------------------------------------------

I think his writeup in Wikipedia is pretty fair (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peerless_Price):

Price enjoyed his greatest success as the secondary receiver for the Buffalo Bills. In 2002 he caught 94 passes for 1,252 yards, and nine touchdowns. After the season the Bills knew they couldn't afford Price, but didn't want to lose him without compensation. They used the Franchise Tag to ensure that Price would be unable to sign elsewhere without the Bills receiving two first round draft picks, a price they knew that none were willing to pay. Price was given permission to seek a trade, and the Atlanta Falcons were willing to give up a first round pick in the 2003 draft for Price. The Bills would use it to select Willis McGahee.

Price was supposed to be the great receiver that the Falcons needed to excel. He is regarded as a disappointment, as during his two year stint with in Atlanta, quarterback Michael Vick was unable to get him the ball as well as Drew Bledsoe did, and the Falcons earned the NFC South division title and a bye in 2004 relying on great defense and the rushing game. He was released during the 2005 offseason.

In 2005, he signed a one year deal with the Dallas Cowboys to be the third receiver and punt returner. He was also reunited with quarterback Drew Bledsoe, with whom he had shared so much success in Buffalo and who actively lobbied for his signing. Unfortunately, Price was not used much in the passing game, as Dallas employed multi-tightend formations to protect Bledsoe from frequent blitzers. It was also felt that Price did not run-block as well as other receivers in Dallas' ball-control offense. He was released on 12/03/05 after catching only 6 passes for 96 yards (with 58yds coming on a single pass).

Price seems to be one of those guys who is a great 2nd receiver. He can't handle the double teams and such a #1 gets. With Branch to draw those he might be ok, but I doubt he would step up and fill the gap like Givens did when Branch got hurt.

The first thing Annihilus saw when he read this was: :Eason:

But after thinking about it for a minute...he might work nicely as a role player and kick returner. If the price is right (which it most certainly should be with Piolichick signing him).

Peerless Price = The modern day Alvin Harper

I always bristle at that comparison b/c they are two very different types of receivers, at least in my eyes...and I remember Harper very well. I know the similarities (more in how Price's career, sans SB wins, seems to be tracking Harper's) you're talking about, but let's go to the tapes.

Harper had ONE season with over 40 catches (46), and that was with Tampa. He only had three seasons with over 30 catches with Dallas. He averaged over 18 ypc for his career. Harper was a deep threat primarily.

Price has already had FIVE seasons of over 40 catches, including one with over 90. His career average for ypc is just under 14. Peerless has shown some abilty as a deep threat, but can also function as a chain mover.

Where's AikmantoIrving for their take on what Price's problems in the Big D were last season?

Another season, another Peerless Price idea...

I wouldn't mind the Patriots picking him up, if he did like what Annihilus was saying- be a role player/kick returner and work his way up the ladder. He's shown he can be a #2 guy, and having two quick, young talents like him and Branch would be a very good thing if he gets his shit together.

Wandering Athol said:
I always bristle at that comparison b/c they are two very different types of receivers, at least in my eyes...and I remember Harper very well. I know the similarities (more in how Price's career, sans SB wins, seems to be tracking Harper's) you're talking about, but let's go to the tapes.

Harper had ONE season with over 40 catches (46), and that was with Tampa. He only had three seasons with over 30 catches with Dallas. He averaged over 18 ypc for his career. Harper was a deep threat primarily.

Price has already had FIVE seasons of over 40 catches, including one with over 90. His career average for ypc is just under 14. Peerless has shown some abilty as a deep threat, but can also function as a chain mover.

Where's AikmantoIrving for their take on what Price's problems in the Big D were last season?

I was going to rip Price and make fun of you guys for showing interest, but then I realized he did not flop in Dallas. He just wasnt given an oppurtunity. He made one long terrific catch , but Parcells was using a 3rd TE to give our LTs help against the pass rush, so 3 or 4 receiver sets werent common. He didnt complain or moan and was cut rather quietly. You could do lots worse for a 2nd or 3rd receiver than Peerless Price.

Regarding the Harper/ Price comparison, Athol is right. Two different players. Certainly Peerless has been overall more productive in his career. However, Harper for two seasons was an absolute monster in the post season. He was just as important in those playoff runs as IRvin was. I believe Harper still has the highest post season per catch average in history. Possibly at over 23 yrds a catch. Anyhoo... as big a free agent bust as he was has more clutch post season catches under his belt than say a guy like TO.

you dont want a bum like price. the key word here is value, not price. Also, i find it racist to say that vick is a rb.

ManningFamHomie said:
Also, i find it racist to say that vick is a rb.

Why?

It's fairly obvious to me, with the Falcon's reluctance to part with Schaub this offseason, that they are also not extremely confident in Vick's ability to continue to lead the offense.

Was it racist for the Jaguars to move Matt Jones to receiver as well?

Wandering Athol said:
Why?

It's fairly obvious to me, with the Falcon's reluctance to part with Schaub this offseason, that they are also not extremely confident in Vick's ability to continue to lead the offense.

Was it racist for the Jaguars to move Matt Jones to receiver as well?

yeah reverse racism. Cause the stereo type is that white guys are slow which he obviously isnt. He was a scramble QB in college but since he isnt black they figured he couldent be like mike so they drafted him as a wide reciver. I would keep Schaubb but more cause i was worried about keeping vick healthy. your crazy if you think schaubb is ever going to start over vick with all the money he is making. theres lots of people here who want him too like rednecks.

ManningFamHomie said:
yeah reverse racism.
wouldn't reverse racism be no racism?

so you agree with moving Matt Jones to WR. that good because he will be a good WR.

vick will sit much like Bledsoe did when he was making all that money

MFH I hope your being sarcastic.

Throwing the race card at folks who criticize Vick is beyond unfair.

Vick is an unusal player to game plan for because of what he can do with his feet and that's what makes him successful. If he were to lose his ability to scramble, say due to injury, he would be a below average backup quarterback in this league. Criticism of his play as a QB is valid, if perhaps overblown from time to time because he can still beat many teams with his unique talents.

Vick is the ultimate throwback, he's a triple threat single-wing tailback. He is a must watch player because he will do at least one thing in every game that will make you say WTF? He is however at best a mediocre quarterback.

In my opinion Vick will continue to have trouble against good, disiplined defenses because he's never learned to anticipate what is ABOUT to happen. The Falcons offense requires him to look at 1-2 receivers and then start scrambling, if someone breaks open on the broken play, great, if not, run it.

Against defenses who put themselves out of position it works, against defenses that play smart through the whistle it doesn't.

mikiemo83 said:
wouldn't reverse racism be no racism?

so you agree with moving Matt Jones to WR. that good because he will be a good WR.

vick will sit much like Bledsoe did when he was making all that money

Vick is making more than Bledsoe ever did. Your starting to sound like the redneck Schaubb huggers around here.

Benign Despot said:
MFH I hope your being sarcastic.

Throwing the race card at folks who criticize Vick is beyond unfair.

Vick is an unusal player to game plan for because of what he can do with his feet and that's what makes him successful. If he were to lose his ability to scramble, say due to injury, he would be a below average backup quarterback in this league. Criticism of his play as a QB is valid, if perhaps overblown from time to time because he can still beat many teams with his unique talents.

Vick is the ultimate throwback, he's a triple threat single-wing tailback. He is a must watch player because he will do at least one thing in every game that will make you say WTF? He is however at best a mediocre quarterback.

In my opinion Vick will continue to have trouble against good, disiplined defenses because he's never learned to anticipate what is ABOUT to happen. The Falcons offense requires him to look at 1-2 receivers and then start scrambling, if someone breaks open on the broken play, great, if not, run it.

Against defenses who put themselves out of position it works, against defenses that play smart through the whistle it doesn't.

Yeah everyone has to deal with critisim its justified. Overblown yes. I dont really see him as mediocre at best. who would you put above him besides the obvious. He is still top 10 or 15 in qbs.

Back