Pepper Johnson Out

Here's the only smile I can get out of this thread: The title could have been simply "Johnson Out". Then I would have thought it was a Favre thread.

Here's the only smile I can get out of this thread: The title could have been simply "Johnson Out". Then I would have thought it was a Favre thread.

If it was "Big Johnson out" you would have known right away it wasn't about Favre.......

I think he is dead to him now.

Ben Roethlisberger needs to step away from QBs talking on facebook and talk to you.

BR: "See, BT is being facetious here, you can tell by coffee guy. He says he'll be dead to Tommy cause he's actually been dead to Tommy since he got here so it really doesn't matter if he goes to the Jests or the Finz."

Cheers, BostonTim

Ben Roethlisberger needs to step away from QBs talking on facebook and talk to you.

BR: "See, BT is being facetious here, you can tell by coffee guy. He says he'll be dead to Tommy cause he's actually been dead to Tommy since he got here so it really doesn't matter if he goes to the Jests or the Finz."

Cheers, BostonTim

See Ben says things that are obvious and so did Midgar.

Not a big surprise but some follow up on Pep.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/02/pepper_jonson_says_he_wanted_t.html

Pepper Johnson wanted the opportunity to escape Bill Belichick's shadow

14124784-mmmain.jpg

New England Patriots linebacker Pepper Johnson, left, defensive end Chandler Jones (95) and defensive lineman Marcus Forston (98) run during a stretching and drills session before practice begins at the NFL football team's facility in Foxborough, Mass., Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2013. The Patriots will play the Denver Broncos Sunday night in Foxborough. ((AP Photo/Stephan Savoia))

By Nick Underhill, MassLive.com
Follow on Twitter
on February 04, 2014 at 9:59 PM, updated February 04, 2014 at 10:07 PM

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align:bottom; white-space:nowrap;zoom:1;">
</td><td style="vertical-align:bottom; white-space:nowrap;zoom:1;">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

image.jpg

The mystery surrounding Pepper Johnson's departure from the New England Patriots has been solved.
After 14 years in New England, Johnson left the Patriots last month without any real explanation for the move. It was billed as a mutual decision in a press release issued by the organization, but it sounds as though Johnson, who recently hooked on with the Buffalo Bills as a defensive line coach, was simply ready to move on.
"My legs are still shaking a little bit. But I'm excited. I'm so excited," Johnson told WGR 550, via the Bills' website. "I always have been a fan of Doug (Marrone) and the Buffalo Bills (and it's) just getting the opportunity to spread my wings and getting up from under the shadows of coach (Bill) Belichick. So it's a good thing and a good opportunity. "
Johnson, who served as New England's linebackers coach last season, said that his move to Buffalo has already helped him learn more about the game since he's being exposed to new ideas and terminology.
Johnson also said that he would one day like to become a defensive coordinator. His admission is telling since it is widely believed that he was upset about being passed over as the defensive coordinator when Matt Patricia was given the job in 2012.
"I would love to (be a defensive coordinator)," Johnson said. "In a sense, those 13 years that I played in the NFL, I graduated to calling a lot of the defenses and having the responsibility of running our defense and being an extension of the coach from the sideline. It's a dream of mine, a goal of mine."

Hmm. I heard the other day that Pepper had told Deossie that the decision wasn't entirely his. I'm still not sold that this was entirely mutual -- I think BB wasn't satisfied with the job Pepper was doing for some reason or another.

Well it was a lateral move for Pep basically so it could be anything. I would have 0 level of surprise if BB wanted Pep to have it look like a mutual thing or Pep's idea out of respect for Pep.

Hmm. I heard the other day that Pepper had told Deossie that the decision wasn't entirely his. I'm still not sold that this was entirely mutual -- I think BB wasn't satisfied with the job Pepper was doing for some reason or another.

Complacency is a problem when an employee has been with a company doing the same job for so many years. New blood can be a great thing for a company when continuous rapid improvement in performance and processes slows to a trickle or even degenerates. A little chaos through a firing or 2 shows the other employees that mediocrity will not be tolerated and can revitalize efforts towards the goal of excellence. It's a managing style I favor over hovering and badgering constantly. I stay sane and they stay alert. I agree with you.

Complacency is a problem when an employee has been with a company doing the same job for so many years. New blood can be a great thing for a company when continuous rapid improvement in performance and processes slows to a trickle or even degenerates. A little chaos through a firing or 2 shows the other employees that mediocrity will not be tolerated and can revitalize efforts towards the goal of excellence. It's a managing style I favor over hovering and badgering constantly. I stay sane and they stay alert. I agree with you.

Chev, do you think this may have to do with the team moving towards a more aggressive defense -- a more attacking 4-3, perhaps something similar to what Seattle employed?

Perhaps it is simply a matter of Pepper not performing well enough, and Belichick wants a similar coach, but hopefully one who will do a better job.

BUT -- do you think some of this could be scheme related, and not performance related? Is Belichick moving away from his conservative, 2-gapping style (something that Pepper Johnson is very well versed in) to something more aggressive (something Pepper is less familiar with)?

*EDIT*: With the addition of Brendan Daley, as well, who has experience with aggressive, attacking, 4-3 fronts (Minnesota & St. Louis), gives me all the more reason to wonder.

Chev, do you think this may have to do with the team moving towards a more aggressive defense -- a more attacking 4-3, perhaps something similar to what Seattle employed?

Perhaps it is simply a matter of Pepper not performing well enough, and Belichick wants a similar coach, but hopefully one who will do a better job.

BUT -- do you think some of this could be scheme related, and not performance related? Is Belichick moving away from his conservative, 2-gapping style (something that Pepper Johnson is very well versed in) to something more aggressive (something Pepper is less familiar with)?

*EDIT*: With the addition of Brendan Daley, as well, who has experience with aggressive, attacking, 4-3 fronts (Minnesota & St. Louis), gives me all the more reason to wonder.

I don't know but I hope you're right.

I can imagine one of those end of year conversations where Bill asks Pepper what he wants to do next. Pepper indicates he wants to be a D-Coordinator and Bill tells Pepper that he doesn't think he will achieve his goal in New England.

Back