Personnel vs. Detroit

StoneWalled

Shameless Homer
Reaction score
With the short week, time for travel and reduced tub-time to massage the usual kinks I expect to see some roster magic from BB on Thanksgiving. We have become accustomed to the large number of on-field contributions but, I see that growing and possibly a surprise player or two seeing significantly reduced playing time. With the vast amount of youngsters, who can handle the physical challenges better, I think guys like Wilfork, Crumpler, Wright and Neal may get a few more breathers than usual. Not suggesting they take the typical tactic of some pre-playoff teams by taking them out completely...just a few less plays than usual.
BB could just have the guys gut it out and take their bumps and bruises into the long week before the MNF game against the Jets. BB has been of the mind that "players play" but, I am sure that letting some of the older vets reducing their time on the field has some merit.

Not a chance.

You play 60 minutes.

Cleveland taught you big-time.

Take Detroit lightly and all the good beating the Colts and Stealers goes out the window.

We need to win and most definitely HAVE to beat the Jests. Right now we're on the road in Round 1. Not good.

Not a chance.

You play 60 minutes.

Cleveland taught you big-time.

Take Detroit lightly and all the good beating the Colts and Stealers goes out the window.

We need to win and most definitely HAVE to beat the Jests. Right now we're on the road in Round 1. Not good.

We only have about 8 guys that actually do play 60 minutes (or every snap on their side of the ball). I'm talking about some playing a few less. Of course the entire team should be engaged for the full length of the game. We still want to win.

<<
>>

Detroit's offense can score some points and they aren't quite the whipping boys they were a couple years ago. If we get out to an early lead it should be easier than against the Colts, but the Pats can't let up for a moment.

<<
>>

Detroit's offense can score some points and they aren't quite the whipping boys they were a couple years ago. If we get out to an early lead it should be easier than against the Colts, but the Pats can't let up for a moment.

Hoyer Time!!!

/LeonPowe

With the short week, time for travel and reduced tub-time to massage the usual kinks I expect to see some roster magic from BB on Thanksgiving. We have become accustomed to the large number of on-field contributions but, I see that growing and possibly a surprise player or two seeing significantly reduced playing time. With the vast amount of youngsters, who can handle the physical challenges better, I think guys like Wilfork, Crumpler, Wright and Neal may get a few more breathers than usual. Not suggesting they take the typical tactic of some pre-playoff teams by taking them out completely...just a few less plays than usual.
BB could just have the guys gut it out and take their bumps and bruises into the long week before the MNF game against the Jets. BB has been of the mind that "players play" but, I am sure that letting some of the older vets reducing their time on the field has some merit.

I'm pretty sure that if any of the guys on this team felt they could not get ready in 4 days, or would need a part-time assignment if they only had 4 day's notice, then I'm pretty sure they would have already been shipped to Oakland or Minnesota for some picks.

Fortunately, it is the Lions. I am not discounting them at all, but the JEST, Turd Birds or Squealers would be brutal physical matchups. Sure the Pats have to travel, but they aren't going to the West Coast, so it isn't so bad. Go in, play hard, get the win and essentially have a bye week (11 days) before the JEST.

Neal hopefully plays after sitting 2 weeks, Freddy T Ibelieve will be a go to help the law firm and Woody

I do not worry about the DL as those guys rotate, maybe Prior coming back adds a little depth but these guys know a good showing on thursday should earn them a few much needed days off, like a second bye week to gear up for the rest of the season

these guys know a good showing on thursday should earn them a few much needed days off, like a second bye week to gear up for the rest of the season

Good point. Also, the JEST will be getting the same time to rest/prepare as the Pats. :shrug:

Lions not in great shape. As long as the Pats keep their focus they should win.

Lions limp to Thanksgiving minus starting quarterback, tailback

Posted by Mike Florio on November 22, 2010, 7:59 PM EST

Though Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford reportedly won’t need surgery to repair his separated shoulder, no one expects Stafford to play on Thursday against the Patriots.

And so to no surprise Stafford started the short week by missing Monday’s pratice. Also out on Monday were rookie running back Jahvid Best (toe), kicker Jason Hanson (right knee), tight end Tony Scheffler (rib), and defensive tackle Corey Williams (shoulder).

Defensive end Cliff Avril (quadricep), linebacker Isaiah Ekejiuba (knee), and center Dylan Gandy (calf) practiced on a limited basis.

Quarterback Shaun Hill (quadricep) and linebacker DeAndre Levy (groin) fully participated.

The Patriots provided an estimated report based on their walk-through session. If the team had really practiced, defensive end Mike Wright (neck, concussion) would not have practiced. The following players would have practiced on a limited basis: quarterback Tom Brady (right shoulder, foot), guard Steve Neal (shoulder), safety Jarrad Page (calf), defensive tackle Myron Pryor (back), running back Fred Taylor (toe), and cornerback Jonathan Wilhite (hip).

For Brady, the estimated participation is an improvement over the past two weeks, during which he missed practice on Wednesday in advance of Sunday games.

Lions not in great shape. As long as the Pats keep their focus they should win.

Lions limp to Thanksgiving minus starting quarterback, tailback

Posted by Mike Florio on November 22, 2010, 7:59 PM EST

Though Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford reportedly won’t need surgery to repair his separated shoulder, no one expects Stafford to play on Thursday against the Patriots.

And so to no surprise Stafford started the short week by missing Monday’s pratice. Also out on Monday were rookie running back Jahvid Best (toe), kicker Jason Hanson (right knee), tight end Tony Scheffler (rib), and defensive tackle Corey Williams (shoulder).

Defensive end Cliff Avril (quadricep), linebacker Isaiah Ekejiuba (knee), and center Dylan Gandy (calf) practiced on a limited basis.

Quarterback Shaun Hill (quadricep) and linebacker DeAndre Levy (groin) fully participated.

The Patriots provided an estimated report based on their walk-through session. If the team had really practiced, defensive end Mike Wright (neck, concussion) would not have practiced. The following players would have practiced on a limited basis: quarterback Tom Brady (right shoulder, foot), guard Steve Neal (shoulder), safety Jarrad Page (calf), defensive tackle Myron Pryor (back), running back Fred Taylor (toe), and cornerback Jonathan Wilhite (hip).

For Brady, the estimated participation is an improvement over the past two weeks, during which he missed practice on Wednesday in advance of Sunday games.

Double team Suh and Johnson, I think the rest will take care of itself.

They need to remain aggressive and not have another let down. Hopefully the Browns game woke up the younger players and gave them that "This is the NFL" moment.

<<
The tight ends are a big part of the Lions offense.
>>

Interesting that in that article there's no mention of Johnson and how the TEs effect his part of the offense. I would have though he was the bigger threat but sounds like they use their TEs the same way as we do ours, and that makes them as big or a bigger threat.

Double team Suh and Johnson, I think the rest will take care of itself.

They need to remain aggressive and not have another let down. Hopefully the Browns game woke up the younger players and gave them that "This is the NFL" moment.

Use Crumpler to neutralize Suh. Pick up 5 yards per carry.

McCourty keeps Johnson in check.

Hernandez and Gronk will eat Detroit alive.

PumpDee will eat too much and drink too many Sam Adams Octoberfests and fall asleep with 4 minutes to go in the game.

Back