PFT RUMOR: Vince Young scored a six on the Wonderlic test??

ladypatsfan

Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
VINCE IS STOOPID?

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it.

We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2, including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices. We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right.

Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic. For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary.

The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:
"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months. .

Now I know that the Wonderlic doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things, but DAAAAAAAAAMN!! :eek:

I posted a thread about the Wonderlic test a little while back. Although I will be a little shocked if indeed this rumor is verified, there have been reports in the past of players posting similar scores, most recently by Frank Gore of the 49ers, who is rumored to have a reading diasability.

The Wonderlic Thread.

To recap, a score lower than 10 would indicate either a person who has a learning disability such as dyslexia or is illiterate. Scouts prefer QBs to have Wonderlics in the mid-20s.

Wandering Athol said:
I posted a thread about the Wonderlic test a little while back. Although I will be a little shocked if indeed this rumor is verified, there have been reports in the past of players posting similar scores, most recently by Frank Gore of the 49ers, who is rumored to have a reading diasability.

The Wonderlic Thread.

To recap, a score lower than 10 would indicate either a person who has a learning disability such as dyslexia or is illiterate. Scouts prefer QBs to have Wonderlics in the mid-20s.

Interesting, you bring up a good point. Personally, IMO, I don't think that he's stupid. Some players don't take this test seriously. Maybe Young is one of them? Also, if this is true, there has to be more to the story.

VinceEinstein.jpg

From http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm itself:

POSTED 5:56 p.m. EST, February 26, 2006

COMBINE OFFICIAL SCREWED UP VINCE'S WONDERLIC

A league source tells us that Texas quarterback Vince Young indeed scored a six on the Wonderlic test on Saturday -- but that the guy who graded the test screwed the thing up when totaling the number of right answers.

Combine officials, we're told, have re-scored the Young's test and the test of all other players who took it in his group. NFL teams will get the numbers of all players who took the test later in the week.

On Saturday, there was widespread chatter at the combine that Young got only six out of 50 questions right on the standard test used by the NFL to gauge player intelligence. The Nashville Tennessean corroborated the reports of the low score in its Sunday edition.

Whether the actual number was 6 or 50 or something in between remains to be seen.

It's a major embarrassment, in our view, for the folks who put on the combine. Because it's inevitable that this information will get out (indeed, Pro Football Weekly got their mitts on the full Wonderlic results from the 2005 combine), it's critical that the folks charged with grading the tests get it right.

It's even more important that the scores are right before the information is leaked.

We have a feeling that this one could get interesting. Stay tuned.

BionicPatriot said:
scale of 1-100

actually it's out of 50. it's also a timed test that most of the guys taking it can't finish in time.

only one person has ever gotten a perfect score. a punter from harvard.

From John "Yippy-Kai-Yay M-Fo" McClain of the Houston Chronicle

On Saturday, a rumor that Young had scored a 6 on the Wonderlic test sent shock waves through the combine. No coach, scout or general manager surveyed could produce an example of a starting quarterback with a single-digit Wonderlic score.

[...]

On Sunday, the combine said the test score of 6 that was being reported by some media outlets was false.

"I've been told it was inaccurate by a source good enough for me to quote it," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said Sunday afternoon.

Young took the test again and scored 16. According to Young's agent, Major Adams, the Sunday test was administered by Jeff Foster, executive director of National Scouting Combine.

---------------------------------

No, Vince Young is not a muttonhead after-all; he's halfway between illiterate and average intelligence instead....which is better than Marino, Cunningham, and McNair.

Coincidence or not? If you separate the less-than-20-Wonderlic, cream-of-the-crop QBs (see my link in the 2nd post of this thread) from the over-20-Wonderlic, cream-of-the-crop guys, here's what you'll find: The less-than-20 QBs have a lot of Pro Bowls, MVP, passing records, good overall W-L records. The over-20 fellers have a lot of the same and ALL of one other thing: Super Bowl rings (although it would be interesting to find out how Bradshaw did on his test). Hmmm...seems to me, that this test, at least for QBs, may be more important than folks give it credit. :shrug:

This is just the first of the endless series of speculation about this year's "top pick players" that we will be subjected to leading up to this year's draft. I'm not worried about it.

Then again, I don't have to worry about my team drafting him.

(although it would be interesting to find out how Bradshaw did on his test). Hmmm...seems to me, that this test, at least for QBs, may be more important than folks give it credit. :shrug: [/B]

i don't think the test started being used by NFL teams (and only a few at the time) until 1970, so it's doubtful that terry took one, unfortunately.

"You know what Bill Belichick thinks of The Combine? [Belichick] thinks it's stupid."
--- Michael Holley, WEEI midday host and Patriot Reign author - Feb. 28, 2006

In another thread, there was a link to QB Wunderlic scores. In the score for Brady, there was a hyperlink attached to his score.

I found the link very interesting, nothing that we already knew, but no less interesting...

Hey mikiemo83 how was Harvard? If Adam leaves can you kick extra points.

Ottawapatty said:
no, thank you - don't want to be a kicker

I do think listening to the radio the last few days, many of the questions seemed like I heard them before.

Ottawapatty said:
stop pumping mikiemo up Ottawapatty......

he got 7 of his 9 right offa your test sheet (I saw him peeking).

the other two he got right was:

"Name the ninth month of the year" and

"If a tin whistle is made of tin, what is a fog-horn made of?"

Back