Post-Cut Roster

Am I the only one who cares that Mesko was cut? If I'm the only person who values special teams and everyone else was cool with Ken Walter at punter let me know now.
I care about special teams a lot ( I suspect everyone in this forum does), and I liked both the two punters. I was okay with which ever one was kept. I gave Mesko a slight edge solely because of his off-field stuff, which bb probably didn't rate very highly compared to, say, situational punting.

Ken Walter? Bad comparison.

Am I the only one who cares that Mesko was cut? If I'm the only person who values special teams and everyone else was cool with Ken Walter at punter let me know now.

I'm sure this is a stretch, but it seemed to me that Mesko held the football too long. I thought he had too many close calls with blocked punts. FWIW, I played a hunch and won $10 off a buddy when I bet him that Mesko would have a punt blocked vs. Cardinals last year. Maybe I'm just imagining it.

Actually, he was a regular with the #2s during all of the pre-season games. But it's not surprising that you wouldn't have known unless you were regularly pausing the games and checking the numbers of the guys on the field against the roster, since Roach and Fauria never bothered to mention who was actually on the field unless they had the ball in their hands (as if we couldn't see who had the ball in their hands).

Anyway, I wouldn't say that McDonald specifically stood out except that he seemed to make fewer mistakes in pass-pro than most of the rest of the OL #2s and seemed a fairly decent run-blocker. Apparently, the coaches saw more than the broadcast coverage allowed us to see or otherwise know about.

Apparently Mcdonald is better than I gave him credit for, but it's a waste of time watching these young OLs anyhow because Dante gets them and in two years you can't even recognize them. They transform.

If he can turn Wendell into a top 15 center in one year then I'll believe anything is possible.

Far as the DT we were discussing, it's amazing that he weighs 300 to look at him. Forston has to be 325 plus this year.

After a second viewing, I think Vellano is an interesting player. I can't see him anchoring, but as you stated he does stay low and I thought he looked, um, crafty for a kid. Kind of a Kyle Williams style guy.

Updating.

I wasn't too far off. Cunningham and Francis are gone, but I had both on my "the only reason they are here is because I don't like any of the other options" list, even saying at various points in camp that neither looked like definites.

I had Tebow on mine, but never really wanted him, just thought it was somehow inevitable. I got Allen over Mesko and the cut/IR of Wilson right.

The bubble guys I had said, "write in pen on your roster sheets" are all still kicking around: Washington, Ebner, Beau.

The only guys I was totally off on were the TEs (though I was lucky enough to have that knowledge better making my roster prediction), Develin and Bequette, who I still think looked terrible. I should also give myself a strike for Gregory, since I had him pegged as a likely cut early on in camp.

Not bad. {Gratuitous pat on the back smiley} :thumb:

You may have gotten more right than you think...

Per <s>@</s>FieldYates, Jermaine Cunningham, Justin Francis and Chris Mcdonald were waived/injured by Patriots. Will revert to IR if unclaimed.

Apparently Mcdonald is better than I gave him credit for, but it's a waste of time watching these young OLs anyhow because Dante gets them and in two years you can't even recognize them. They transform.

If he can turn Wendell into a top 15 center in one year then I'll believe anything is possible.

Far as the DT we were discussing, it's amazing that he weighs 300 to look at him. Forston has to be 325 plus this year.

After a second viewing, I think Vellano is an interesting player. I can't see him anchoring, but as you stated he does stay low and I thought he looked, um, crafty for a kid. Kind of a Kyle Williams style guy.

I'm not a DL or OL enthusiast but I do remember reading that Vellano has an 8000 RPM motor that's always flat out. Here's what NEPDraft had to say about Vellano before the draft

Joe Vellano, DT, Maryland - If I have learned anything from scouting and analyzing the draft over the last ten years it’s that you don’t bet against players like Joe Vellano. What Vellano lacks in size, he makes up for with exceptional hustle and short area quickness. Vellano possesses a motor that just will not stop. He provides constant activity on the interior and makes the OL work on every play. Vellano will fight through blocks, chase sideline to sideline, take on double teams and will play to the whistle. What Vellano does best is make plays. In 2011 he managed to record 94 total tackles and impact the game in all facets. He’s got a very strong upper-body and the quickness to win off the snap. His lack of size will cause him to drop in the draft, but he will make an NFL roster this September.
http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013...ks-that-will-have-successful-nfl-careers.html

also had this about Boyce

Josh Boyce, WR, TCU - Boyce chose to enter the NFL a year early, mainly because he already graduated and the QB situation at TCU figures to be fluid in 2013. While the decision on the surface may be a questionable one, Josh Boyce is ready for the NFL and can make an impact early on. Boyce has a bulked up frame and big play ability. He’s a savvy route runner, understanding how to stem his routes and set up the defender with subtle body lean. Boyce changes up his speed and can lull the DB to sleep only to turn on the jets to separate. Boyce can play in the slot or outside and has quick enough feet to play either position. His hands, strength and route running ability will make him very successful in the NFL. Boyce checks many of the boxes the New England Patriots look for at the Wide Receiver position.

I'm not a DL or OL enthusiast but I do remember reading that Vellano has an 8000 RPM motor that's always flat out. Here's what NEPDraft had to say about Vellano before the draft

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013...ks-that-will-have-successful-nfl-careers.html

also had this about Boyce

I first took notice of Vellano when he kept popping up in notes from Shrine Game observers - not the biggest guy, but fairly strong at the point of attack, consistently disrupting things in the backfield on way or another, chasing down plays without fail, always giving 110% through the whistle - that sort of thing. Wasn't a surprise that he also ended up participating in the Senior Bowl as a first alternate when someone dropped out. Also not a big surprise that he ended up getting signed by the Pats since they've historically scouted/mined the Shrine Game for just such players.

With two open roster spots and only 4 DE and only 3 DT, it seems like the pats would be looking primarily for DL help. With only 3 TE and Gronk still recovering, maybe they're looking at TEs, but they may have that role temporarily patched with Suds, Hooman and Develin (and the possibility of Fells being re-signed after week-1).

Still, I'm not seeing a lot of quality "veteran" DL help available among the cuts. Maybe the aforementioned Marvin Austin (Giants, 3rd year) or David Carter (6'5"/300, Cards, 3rd year), Jaye Howard (2nd year, SEA). There may be a few interesting rookies, such as DE David Bass (Raiders), Earl Okine (HOU), AJ Francis (MIA), but they might be more PS-appropriate than for the active roster.

Anybody else see any prospects?
------------
EDITS:

DT Clinton McDonald, 6'2"/297, 5th-year, cut by SEA.

Actually, there is one rookie TE prospect that could be interesting for the PS - Chris Pantale out of BC, UDFA cut by the Jets.

As long as I'm noting possible PS guys, two WRs popped up - Chris Harper (SEA) and Conner Vernon (Raiders).

Another PS-type rookie, DT Michael Brooks (East Carolina) 6'2/294, UDFA cut in May by the Lions and in final cuts by SEA.

In addition to Marvin Austin, Reiss notes a couple other DTs in his Quick Hits this morning:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

Kheeston Randall (2012 7th, MIA) - 6045/300+, good workout numbers for his size. The knock on him during the 2012 draft was that, in spite of posting decent stats at Texas for 3 years, he was somewhat lazy and inconsistent, pretty much an underachiever for his size, athleticism and natural talent. That je's been let go after only a year with the 'Fins may indicate that nothing much has changed in that respect.

Torell Troup (#41 overall, 2010, BUF) - 6027/320+ , good workout numbers for his size, including 34 reps. I really liked him for the Pats in 2010, but the Bills snagged him one pick before that Pats took Gronk (so, actually, that worked out pretty well). Troup got off to a decent start as a rookie backup NT to Kyle Williams, but was mostly inactive in 2011 and IR'd for all of 2012, the result of some serious back issues that began during the 2011 pre-season finale against the Lions. It turned out to have been a "thoracic-lumbar junction fracture dislocation" for which he had spinal fusion surgery (same as Johnny Knox) in December 2011, and from which he had not yet recovered sufficiently to play in 2012. In January 2013, he claimed that he was fully recovered and was hitting the weight room regularly, doing squats, etc. But, by this season he was already buried behind Williams, Marcel Dareus, Alan Branch, Jay Ross and Corbin Bryant. If he's actually healthy now and was cut in the numbers game, he could be very worthwhile as a reserve NT.

Adam Replogle (rookie UDFA, ATL) - 6023/300+, strong (38 reps), good workout numbers. Was behind Babineaux, Peria Jerry, Corey Peters and Travian Roberson at DT.

Unless there were a few unreported injury settlements we will have 15 guys on IR and 2 on NFI once Cunningham, Francis and McDonald clear waivers. AFAIR there is a maximum number of players on the active roster, reserve lists and PS during the season. I think the Jaguars had only 5 players on the PS because they had so many on IR at one point.

Unless there were a few unreported injury settlements we will have 15 guys on IR and 2 on NFI once Cunningham, Francis and McDonald clear waivers. AFAIR there is a maximum number of players on the active roster, reserve lists and PS during the season. I think the Jaguars had only 5 players on the PS because they had so many on IR at one point.

I seem to recall reading that that max number for all lists during the regular season is 90 now.

Good. Would have had to act quickly if it was still 90.

Thinking back, I seem to recall that the Rams had 20+ players on IR toward the end of the 2011 season (8 or 9 of them DBs) and still had a full PS.

Of course, it would be entirely possible to hit cap limits before ever hitting the max player number.

I would expect they sign a couple of vets to fill out the roster today or tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

I would expect they sign a couple of vets to fill out the roster today or tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

One would think that they probably already had a couple vets in mind when they left the extra two spots open, but the seemingly smaller-than-usual selection of quality vets available this year makes that a tough call. They may end up with yet another rookie filling one of the two spots.

Actually, I was thinking that it would be kinda funny if Mesko clears waivers, the Pats re-sign him to a relatively cheap 3-4 year deal, and then trade Allen for a good veteran DT somewhere.

Back