Post-Cut Roster

Unless I missed one, the Pats are still at 54, so, again, cuts aren't quite done for today.

Stephon Morris was reported yesterday but not confirmed by the team. I think that's the missing one. Then there'll be more moves tomorrow.

DT Jaye Howard, a 4th round pick by Seattle, has been released. He was very good at Florida and did a great job, I thought, for the Seahawks. He might fit well with the Pats. 3 tech guy. 6'2", 305

I find it interesting that there are 3 TE's and 6 "RB's"

On paper that's a bit of a change from recent years.

Not sure if that's a change in philosophy moving away from the 2 TE set or a reflection on the role APerp played in the offense.

He was called a TE, but I think much of his role could be taken by on of the guys in the RB/FB catagory.
He was more a WR than a TE, but he did a little RB as well. Blocking certainly was not his strength.

I missed a lot of the preseason games.....what did Joe Vellano do to make the 53, I do not remember reading his name too often on here.

I only watched him in game 4 where he played almost every snap at RDT.

First thing I notice is that he's pretty small. They list him at 275 and I played with bigger people in high school .

Then I notice he's really quick and pretty clever with his hands. Seems like a guy that can play 3-tech and shoot a few gaps for a sack or two.

I had him confused with another DT named Vellone we just cut and this guy seems to be a more talented player.

There is just a chance that he could be pretty good if they don't cut him immediately to bring in somebody bigger.

I don't get Chris McDonald.

Maybe they like him more at backup center than they do Connelly, who I believe was the defacto backup C.

What? You've seen him play?

I remember his brother Nick who played in a few regular season games, but I've never seen this guy take a snap that I'm aware of.

I wanted them to look at DT in the draft, and you see why now. Looks like Wilfork will be playing 99 percent of the snaps.

I only watched him in game 4 where he played almost every snap at RDT.

First thing I notice is that he's pretty small. They list him at 275 and I played with bigger people in high school .

Then I notice he's really quick and pretty clever with his hands. Seems like a guy that can play 3-tech and shoot a few gaps for a sack or two.

I had him confused with another DT named Vellone we just cut and this guy seems to be a more talented player.

There is just a chance that he could be pretty good if they don't cut him immediately to bring in somebody bigger.

Joe VELLANO, the DT who was retained, was 306 at his pro-day and all-star game weigh-ins and is listed on the Pats website at 300 (I just checked).

Scott VALLONE, he DT who was cut, briefly re-signed for the Giants game, then cut again on the 27th, weighed-in at 273 for his pro-day.

Both measured just under 6'2", same height as Forston. Forston also weighed 301 at his pro-day in 2012, but may have gained some bulk since then.

Forston and Vellano played in game-4 next to each other and I noticed that Forston was playing fairly upright after the snap, whereas one of the positives consistently mentioned wrt Vellano at his all-star games (along with his non-stop motor) was that he maintained a very good pad level.

BTW, Cory Grissom, at 6016/306, is roughly the same size as both Vellano and Forston. Jaye Howard (mentioned earlier by chevss), at 6030/301 is slightly taller.

Maybe they like him more at backup center than they do Connelly, who I believe was the defacto backup C.

What? You've seen him play?

I remember his brother Nick who played in a few regular season games, but I've never seen this guy take a snap that I'm aware of.

Actually, he was a regular with the #2s during all of the pre-season games. But it's not surprising that you wouldn't have known unless you were regularly pausing the games and checking the numbers of the guys on the field against the roster, since Roach and Fauria never bothered to mention who was actually on the field unless they had the ball in their hands (as if we couldn't see who had the ball in their hands).

Anyway, I wouldn't say that McDonald specifically stood out except that he seemed to make fewer mistakes in pass-pro than most of the rest of the OL #2s and seemed a fairly decent run-blocker. Apparently, the coaches saw more than the broadcast coverage allowed us to see or otherwise know about.

Am I the only one who cares that Mesko was cut? If I'm the only person who values special teams and everyone else was cool with Ken Walter at punter let me know now.
You probably missed that Allen punted very well in the preseason during your hibernation.

Looking at the salary cap as it seems we're done for today: $8.6M in cap space with two open roster spots and 8 open spots on the PS. Minimum spendings for those 10 players is $1.626M, so we have $7M available. So they could spend a few bucks on a veteran DL if someone was available.

Edit: These numbers are calculated with the 12 following players on IR: RB Hines, WRs Moe, Aiken, Haggerty, OLs Green, Fisher, Patterson, Zusevics, Schwab, DTs Grissom, White, S Wilson. Injury settlements could create a little extra cap space.

Am I the only one who cares that Mesko was cut? If I'm the only person who values special teams and everyone else was cool with Ken Walter at punter let me know now.

Was Walter signed? From everything I have heard Mesko lost his job to a more talented punter, isn't that what you want?

At least as it is now, according to reports. Discuss.

QB(2) : Tom Brady, Ryan Mallet

RB(5): Steven Ridley, Shane Vereen, Leon Washington, Lagarette Blount, Brandon Bolden

FB(1): James Develin

TE(3): Rob Gronkowski, Zach Sudfeld, Michael Hoomanawanui

WR(6): Danny Amendola, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Mathew Slater

OL(8): Ryan Wendell, Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Nate Solder, Seabastian Vollmer, Cannon, Will Svitek, Josh Kline

DL(7) Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Joe Vellano, Rob Ninkovich, Chandler Jones, Michael Buchanan, Jake Bequette

LB(7): Jerod Mayo, Donta’ Hightower, Brandon Spikes, Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Steve Beauharnias, Jeff Tarpinian

Safety(6): Devin McCourty, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon, Nate Ebner

CB(5): Aquib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Marquice Cole

ST(3): Danny Aiken, Stephen Gostowski, Ryan Allen

Updating.

I wasn't too far off. Cunningham and Francis are gone, but I had both on my "the only reason they are here is because I don't like any of the other options" list, even saying at various points in camp that neither looked like definites.

I had Tebow on mine, but never really wanted him, just thought it was somehow inevitable. I got Allen over Mesko and the cut/IR of Wilson right.

The bubble guys I had said, "write in pen on your roster sheets" are all still kicking around: Washington, Ebner, Beau.

The only guys I was totally off on were the TEs (though I was lucky enough to have that knowledge better making my roster prediction), Develin and Bequette, who I still think looked terrible. I should also give myself a strike for Gregory, since I had him pegged as a likely cut early on in camp.

Not bad. {Gratuitous pat on the back smiley} :thumb:

Back