Postseason Officiating thoughts and Q's

Tchok13

Reaction score
So I watched almost every minute of all the games this weekend and noticed a few things.

A) When it came to the Oline, it seemed like the Refs took a let um play attitude to holding.

B) The Refs held off whistling a play dead to a degree I don't think I've seen before. RB's were getting mauled by defenses who stood them up and pushed them back. Seemed like this also allowed players to get in a few more non play related shots at each other than normal.

So some questions:

Why was the Bronco's player (58, i think?) Not tossed out of the game for clearly starting a fight well after the play. Could have sworn they were going to crack down on that.

Do the Refs take the same let um play attitude this upcoming week?

The GB officiating was some of the worse that I have ever seen..

Couple things I have seen to add to yours. They are not calling a lot of PI or illegal contact. They are letting them play. I have seen some bad calls though. I understand forward momentum, but the whistle had not blown in the pats game when a fumble happened and they said his forward momentum was stopped. Had he broken out of that and ran for a TD, would they still say it? Of course the 3 calls in the GB game was so bad, that for the first time I really thought there was a conspiracy.

I've thought the refs have historically taken a "let em play" attitude in the playoffs. I don't think this is anything new.

The GB officiating was some of the worse that I have ever seen..

this^^^^

granted, I was rooting for the Packers, but there are few things that piss me off more than bad officiating.

I've thought the refs have historically taken a "let em play" attitude in the playoffs. I don't think this is anything new.

Yep (aside from the horrible officiating in the 'Let's give the Steelers a Lombardi' game against the Seahawks).

Hopefully that will continue.

I'll chime in and repeat what others have said: the officiating for the Pack/G-men game was atrocious. Thankfully, it didn't affect the outcome.

What delicious irony it was that Fox did a pre-game special on how great the GB receivers thought they were, and they ended up dropping 9 balls on the day. Rodgers single-handedly kept the Pack in that game - could've been an absolute blow-out w/o him and the officials.

I'll chime in and repeat what others have said: the officiating for the Pack/G-men game was atrocious. Thankfully, it didn't affect the outcome.

What delicious irony it was that Fox did a pre-game special on how great the GB receivers thought they were, and they ended up dropping 9 balls on the day. Rodgers single-handedly kept the Pack in that game - could've been an absolute blow-out w/o him and the officials.

Honestly, some of those drops were not drops though...I think they actually had the total at 6. I saw one they counted as a drop, it was a little pass over the middle to Grant, the ball was behind him he had to turn his body completely around and as he was try to do that he was hit right when the ball got there. I cannot call that a drop, and that long one to the endzone, that was just great defense. Rodgers played his worst game of the season, drops or no drops. The only thing I saw that kept the pack in the game was the refs, because if not for those two horrid calls, the packers scored two td's on both of those.

Honestly, some of those drops were not drops though...I think they actually had the total at 6. I saw one they counted as a drop, it was a little pass over the middle to Grant, the ball was behind him he had to turn his body completely around and as he was try to do that he was hit right when the ball got there. I cannot call that a drop, and that long one to the endzone, that was just great defense. Rodgers played his worst game of the season, drops or no drops. The only thing I saw that kept the pack in the game was the refs, because if not for those two horrid calls, the packers scored two td's on both of those.
I thought the Fox graphic had it at 9 during the game? I could be wrong. 9? 6? Whatever....waaaay too many. Puts a lot of pressure on the QB. If that was Rodgers worst game of the season, then he had one heckuva season (which he did, I guess ;) )

I thought the Fox graphic had it at 9 during the game? I could be wrong. 9? 6? Whatever....waaaay too many. Puts a lot of pressure on the QB. If that was Rodgers worst game of the season, then he had one heckuva season (which he did, I guess ;) )

Well lets put it this way, if Brady had a game like Rodgers had, there would be a thread about how bad the game was. He missed on as many throws as there were drops. He also looked confused when he did not have his receivers running open all over the field like he usually does.

Well lets put it this way, if Brady had a game like Rodgers had, there would be a thread about how bad the game was. He missed on as many throws as there were drops. He also looked confused when he did not have his receivers running open all over the field like he usually does.
I looked it up and....

1) That was Rodger's worst QB rating of the season - 78.5 .... wow.
2) 6 drops in one game (if that's what we're working with) matches the most drops by any team in any game this season according to the scribes I've read.
3) I'm going to placate you, and talk about Brady for a second. Brady had one game with a QB rating less than 78.5 this season. Want to guess what team it was against?
4) 1 + 2 + 3 = Rodger's wasn't the all-world guy we've seen this season, but he was a continent apart from Flacco-ville yesterday, and on another planet from Tebow-land. I think McCarthy made a big mistake in resting him Week 17, what's known around here as the "Polian-Manning error", and his rustiness was on full display against the Giants.

He made up for it to some extent with his legs, but that's still an underestimated Giants secondary IMO Rodgers was up against, and his receivers didn't help him much. I'm sure the situation with the OC's family didn't help either.

p.s. I'm predicting you will not be able to respond to this post without mentioning Tom Brady again, even though the topic is "Aaron Rodgers".

I looked it up and....

1) That was Rodger's worst QB rating of the season - 78.5 .... wow.
2) 6 drops in one game (if that's what we're working with) matches the most drops by any team in any game this season according to the scribes I've read.
3) I'm going to placate you, and talk about Brady for a second. Brady had one game with a QB rating less than 78.5 this season. Want to guess what team it was against?
4) 1 + 2 + 3 = Rodger's wasn't the all-world guy we've seen this season, but he was a continent apart from Flacco-ville yesterday, and on another planet from Tebow-land. I think McCarthy made a big mistake in resting him Week 17, what's known around here as the "Polian-Manning error", and his rustiness was on full display against the Giants.

He made up for it to some extent with his legs, but that's still an underestimated Giants secondary IMO Rodgers was up against, and his receivers didn't help him much. I'm sure the situation with the OC's family didn't help either.

p.s. I'm predicting you will not be able to respond to this post without mentioning Tom Brady again, even though the topic is "Aaron Rodgers".

Rodgers played bad....thats pretty much it. He played bad, he looked confused, he missed open throws, etc etc. Sorry

I don't have a problem with the refs ignoring the ticky-tack interference penalties, as that stuff was out of control during the season, but there is no excuse for a couple of the big blunders that were missed and it is fortunate that the team that got screwed didn't lose either.

I'm thinking of the backwards pass by tRapist that was blown dead and the horrible no-fumble review on Green Bay's WR Cobb.

The latter I found mind-boggling. I could see the guy on the field blowing it because it was fairly close, but to think the league invested all this cash and time in "getting the calls right" and somehow they looked at that play at length and not only called it a non-fumble, but never bothered to explain why it wasn't a fumble when virtually everybody watching the play knew that it was.

I found the announcers missed a lot of stuff as well, but at least Fox's crew got Mike Perreira on immediately to concur with what I already knew, which was the review people totally blew it.

If they can't get something like that right then why should anybody have faith in the current system? It not only sucks, but the 90-second thing is a joke. Check your watch the next time there is a close one being reviewed. If anything they are getting slower.

Rodgers played bad....thats pretty much it. He played bad, he looked confused, he missed open throws, etc etc. Sorry

That wasn't his best game, but only two throws were really bad, the overthrow of Jennings on their first drive and misfired of a wide open Finley before the 4th down play. The drops were a much bigger factor.

RE: resting AR for that 1 game: not sure in this case that it was a big deal. Personally I would have wanted him to get a series or 2 but I give more credit to the NYG D and the WRs having the dropsies and their lack of a run game to do anything to make up for it and their OWN D sucking. They are way way too one dimensional and one dimensional teams who can't get another dimension working even if it's just for the playoffs aren't going very far IMO. NYG run game sucked all year, but they've gotten it going a bit in the playoffs along with their D (sort of 06 Colts like ironically). Saints rested Brees in 09 and lost their last 3 games in a row and no team had EVER done that and even gotten to the SB let alone won it after losing their last 3 games but they had that opportunistic D and a solid run game.

I don't have a problem with the refs ignoring the ticky-tack interference penalties, as that stuff was out of control during the season, but there is no excuse for a couple of the big blunders that were missed and it is fortunate that the team that got screwed didn't lose either.

I'm thinking of the backwards pass by tRapist that was blown dead and the horrible no-fumble review on Green Bay's WR Cobb.

The latter I found mind-boggling. I could see the guy on the field blowing it because it was fairly close, but to think the league invested all this cash and time in "getting the calls right" and somehow they looked at that play at length and not only called it a non-fumble, but never bothered to explain why it wasn't a fumble when virtually everybody watching the play knew that it was.

I found the announcers missed a lot of stuff as well, but at least Fox's crew got Mike Perreira on immediately to concur with what I already knew, which was the review people totally blew it.

If they can't get something like that right then why should anybody have faith in the current system? It not only sucks, but the 90-second thing is a joke. Check your watch the next time there is a close one being reviewed. If anything they are getting slower.

I wrote something similar in the game thread.

That wasn't his best game, but only two throws were really bad, the overthrow of Jennings on their first drive and misfired of a wide open Finley before the 4th down play. The drops were a much bigger factor.

I saw a few missed off to the sideline as well, some hitting the dirt. One drop I saw, I am not sure it was as much of a drop. Grant came out of the backfield and rodgers throws it way behind him as he is spinning around trying to get it he is hit and the ball hits off his hands. It just seemed he was not comfortable, he would do his roll thing and receivers were not open and it seemed to shock him. He is not used to his receivers not being open all over the field. The giants did a great job in coverage in that game.

Back