Pre Season Practices 2016 - OTAs, TC

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
Garoppolo is doing well so far.

Unlike last offseason when Brady ruled the first-team reps in the face of a four-game ban, the Pats split the top-tier work Thrusday at Gillette Stadium. Brady and Garoppolo essentially shared the same crop of skill position players, including two of the day’s stars in tight end Martellus Bennett and wide receiver Chris Hogan, while receivers Julian Edelman (foot surgery), Danny Amendola (knee and ankle surgeries), tight end Rob Gronkowski and running back Dion Lewis (ACL surgery) were held out of the session.Brady completed 12 of 18 passes in team drills, including 7 of 9 in 11-on-11s and 5 of 9 in 7-on-7s. Garoppolo went 21 of 26 in team drills with an 8-of-9 showing in 11-on-11s and 13 of 17 in 7-on-7s. Rookie Jacoby Brissett was 9 of 16 overall, including 7 of 12 with an interception (Cyrus Jones) in 11-on-11s and 2 of 4 in 7-on-7s, but the third-round pick was restricted to third-string work.
Obviously, Garoppolo isn’t competing with Brady, who signed a two-year, $41 million contract extension this offseason, but the Patriots have to remain prepared for the very real possibility Brady misses time after his suspension was reinstated last month by an appeals court.
Also important, he gave the defense a good test.
“For the most part, all our quarterbacks are trying to make the same reads,” safety Devin McCourty said. “So you just try to play to that and play to your instincts and what you know about the offense.”
Garoppolo led off the practice’s team drills by completing 6 of 9 passes in 7-on-7s with tight ends and running backs, and the highlight came on a touchdown to tight end AJ Derby on a fade route. Meanwhile, Brady (6 of 6) and Brissett (0 of 4) led a 2-on-2 period with wide receivers.
Shortly thereafter, Brady corralled Bennett and tight end Clay Harbor for some side work on end-zone routes. At the same time, Garoppolo participated in a half-speed 7-on-7 period with offensive linemen, tight ends and running backs, and Brissett was with wide receivers Hogan, Aaron Dobson, Malcolm Mitchell, Keshawn Martin and Nate Washington and running back James White as offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels taught route-running technique.
Brady then led off the next three periods of team drills, including two sets of 7-on-7s and one of 11-on-11s. Garoppolo closed down the practice by taking the first five reps (four completions) of 11-on-11s. Brady outdid him by hitting all four of his attempts, highlighted by touchdowns to Bennett and Dobson.
Brady was fine despite Garoppolo’s better numbers. The 38-year-old was burned by a Brandon Bolden drop, a route miscommunication with Washington and two strong defensive plays by safety Patrick Chung on bids for Bennett. Garoppolo’s stats took a hit by a spike on the first rep of the day and a DeAndre Carter drop.
<aside id="related-content"> Related Articles

<article class="article-1065218536 column col-1"> Guregian: Martellus Bennett previews how much punch he might add to Patriots offense

</article> <article class="article-1065218392 column col-1"> Terrance Knighton takes humble approach to his new team

</article> <article class="article-1065217800 column col-1"> Inspiration, support in Patriots rookie Cre’von LeBlanc’s corner

</article>
</aside>Brissett, by the way, had a rough start to practice with some incompletions that weren’t even close to their intended targets, but he improved as the workout progressed, outside of his interception in the end zone. He completed seven of his last 11 passes, but three incompletions were drops.
Still, Garoppolo’s continued ascension is the most important element of the spring. The Patriots don’t need to worry about Brady, but the fate of a quarter of their season may ride on Garoppolo’s performance. Garoppolo’s decisions were quick and his throws were crisp Thursday, and his ability to do it with new targets was significant because that heightens the degree of difficulty for a young quarterback, particularly in such a complex offense.
Garoppolo has been on a consistent incline through his three seasons with the Patriots, and Thursday’s workout provided a snapshot of evidence that it has continued. Though the Pats don’t want to see Garoppolo under center in September, their confidence has to be growing in Brady’s backup if it comes to that point.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ised_to_test_out_how_ready_jimmy_garoppolo_is

Authors

Garoppolo’s decisions were quick and his throws were crisp Thursday, and his ability to do it with new targets was significant because that heightens the degree of difficulty for a young quarterback, particularly in such a complex offense.
Garoppolo has been on a consistent incline through his three seasons with the Patriots, and Thursday’s workout provided a snapshot of evidence that it has continued. Though the Pats don’t want to see Garoppolo under center in September, their confidence has to be growing in Brady’s backup if it comes to that point.

I believe that it is Jimmy's ability to process and react quickly that sets him apart from a lot of young QBs. Coming from E. Illinois, I would've expected he would struggle with the mental part, but even as a rookie it didn't appear like he was hesitant and confused very often. Far less than would be logical to expect. He appears very calm in the pocket and sharp. Sharp is the adjective I would generally use to describe him.

Of course, game reps with the first team are what he is really going to need before we really know how good he is (or not), but I've felt he is going to be surprising a lot of doubters and we don't need to worry about him.

I believe that if we had to play the entire season with Jimmy he'd end up ranked in the top ten.

The biggest problem from him starting the first four may be that he'll do well enough that a lot of people will want to invent a QB controversy and we'll be exposed to a lot of the mind-numbing blather that generally follows.

It's a perfect situation, really. Jimmy will have a few years in the system under his belt and won't have the pressure of competing for the starting job. That is a lot better scenario for a debut than what most young QBs in the NFL get to experience.

I believe that it is Jimmy's ability to process and react quickly that sets him apart from a lot of young QBs. Coming from E. Illinois, I would've expected he would struggle with the mental part, but even as a rookie it didn't appear like he was hesitant and confused very often. Far less than would be logical to expect. He appears very calm in the pocket and sharp. Sharp is the adjective I would generally use to describe him.

Of course, game reps with the first team are what he is really going to need before we really know how good he is (or not), but I've felt he is going to be surprising a lot of doubters and we don't need to worry about him.

I believe that if we had to play the entire season with Jimmy he'd end up ranked in the top ten.

The biggest problem from him starting the first four may be that he'll do well enough that a lot of people will want to invent a QB controversy and we'll be exposed to a lot of the mind-numbing blather that generally follows.

It's a perfect situation, really. Jimmy will have a few years in the system under his belt and won't have the pressure of competing for the starting job. That is a lot better scenario for a debut than what most young QBs in the NFL get to experience.

The Pats taking Brisset in the third has me re-evaluating Jimmy. I agree with what you posted and certainly hope if he does play the first four games that he does well and leads us to victories but the Pats taking a QB so high has me wondering if they see some flaws with Jimmy.

The Pats taking Brisset in the third has me re-evaluating Jimmy. I agree with what you posted and certainly hope if he does play the first four games that he does well and leads us to victories but the Pats taking a QB so high has me wondering if they see some flaws with Jimmy.

It's smart to draft a mid-to-late round QB every 2 years or so for continuity to back up any front line starter. I don't see a conspiracy theory to conjure up from thin air here.

It's smart to draft a mid-to-late round QB every 2 years or so for continuity to back up any front line starter. I don't see a conspiracy theory to conjure up from thin air here.

This. Especially where, as here, it is unclear, even were Garrops a fitting sequel to Brady, that the timing for a smooth transition is really in place. Options.

Cheers

If Brady is out the first four, that leaves one QB with no backup in the event of injury. Brisset was a necessity.

If Brady is out the first four, that leaves one QB with no backup in the event of injury. Brisset was a necessity.

No. A street FA like a Huard or Testerverde or Hoyer would be a necessity, if TB couldn't play.

A 3rd round pick is an investment. One that will have to be accounted for with final roster considerations. The FA could simply be released when TB is back, if he were to miss time.

No. A street FA like a Huard or Testerverde or Hoyer would be a necessity, if TB couldn't play.

A 3rd round pick is an investment. One that will have to be accounted for with final roster considerations. The FA could simply be released when TB is back, if he were to miss time.
I think of this as a combo. Possible future and possible back-up. Bill likes versatility.

Cheers

I don't believel third round pick Brisset was a necessity. Not saying he was or wasn't a good choice-I have no idea--but it's another QB that's a necessity, and arguably a vet to back up Jimmy B would be a better choice than a rookie.

I'm generally in agreement, but cutting them after for games is meaningless. All those guys' contracts would be guaranteed for a year unless they were signed after the start of the season, not ideal for a QB who was going to start week one.

And it could be that BB could go after Hoyer (if still available) after the start of the season, but I think the Testeverde and Huard ships have sailed.

I'm generally in agreement, but cutting them after for games is meaningless. All those guys' contracts would be guaranteed for a year unless they were signed after the start of the season, not ideal for a QB who was going to start week one.

And it could be that BB could go after Hoyer (if still available) after the start of the season, but I think the Testeverde and Huard ships have sailed.

That's only salary. And minimal. I'm much more concerned with the roster spot. With a roster as deep as ours you're cutting a player to keep 3 QBs. 1 of which who'll never play.

And yeah, Testerverde and Huard might be too old now. I was pointing out a veteran of that ilk. What's Testerverde? Like 58?

That's only salary. And minimal. I'm much more concerned with the roster spot.
I see your point. Cutting after 4 games is not meaningless in that they could bring some guy up from the practice squad. They still, however, have to cut the cut and leave him on the ps for the first four games, right?

That pick was Jimmy in the second round. The highest the Pats have ever taken a QB in the Brady era. To take another QB in round 3 two years later speaks more to Jimmy not necessarily being the heir apparent IMO as perhaps the Pats see something they like more/better in Brissett. Time will tell.

It might just as well be Insurance for when Jimmy leaves. I dont think Jimmy wants to be a backup for another 4 years. We cant afford to pay him when his contract expires either. Hightower, Collins, Butler, Sheard are more important.

It might just as well be Insurance for when Jimmy leaves. I dont think Jimmy wants to be a backup for another 4 years. We cant afford to pay him when his contract expires either. Hightower, Collins, Butler, Sheard are more important.

It is amazing to think that Brady at age 37 when Jimmy was drafted will play ahead of him for his entire rookie deal. Only Brady.

Probably safe to say that Pot Roast is fitting in here. BB apparently roasted the team for finishing a warm up session too early and called them back to do it again. Knighton liked what he saw and is clearly buying into the program.

"He demands perfection and we demand it out of ourselves," veteran defensive tackle Terrance Knighton said when asked about what unfolded. "There was no pouting about it. There was no complaining. Everybody went back on the line and did what we had to do.

"He's the leader of the team, he's the leader of the organization, and what he says goes. So we started over and practice ended up going [well] so we didn't have to go through that again."

He spoke further on BB.

"Not only is he a head coach, he's more of a teacher. He's at every station, talking to guys about position-specific drills, and he's talking football with you," he answered. "Talking to him prior to being here, he always said, 'I can't wait to coach you.' Sometimes head coaches are more overseers, but he's actually hands-on and in there coaching, and definitely a student of the game."

Probably safe to say that Pot Roast is fitting in here. BB apparently roasted the team for finishing a warm up session too early and called them back to do it again. Knighton liked what he saw and is clearly buying into the program.

He spoke further on BB.

I've learned to be cautious when we acquire a vet DL like Knighton, because sometimes they are on the downside of their arc like a Marcus Stroud or Gerard Warren and have little impact. Sometimes they are lazy fvcks like Albert Haynesworth and do just enough to get you excited before realizing that they are what they are and won't change themselves because they put on the Flying Elvis

Then again, you get a guy like Andre Carter or Mark Anderson and they really turn it on for a season or two and outplay their contracts. They learn to thrive here.

I see Knighton as a logical successor to those two guys and I have little doubt he will be a key player inside for us. He is one hell of a player and should have plenty of gas left in the tank. I didn't know anything about his personality, but he certainly seems to get the drill.

He is going to be a great acquisition.

I've learned to be cautious when we acquire a vet DL like Knighton, because sometimes they are on the downside of their arc like a Marcus Stroud or Gerard Warren and have little impact. Sometimes they are lazy fvcks like Albert Haynesworth and do just enough to get you excited before realizing that they are what they are and won't change themselves because they put on the Flying Elvis

Then again, you get a guy like Andre Carter or Mark Anderson and they really turn it on for a season or two and outplay their contracts. They learn to thrive here.

I see Knighton as a logical successor to those two guys and I have little doubt he will be a key player inside for us. He is one hell of a player and should have plenty of gas left in the tank. I didn't know anything about his personality, but he certainly seems to get the drill.

What, no mention of Ted Washington?

He's a bit under the radar which is strange in a way. The excitement is with Bennett and big hopes for a guy like Cooper that he plays to his serious potential and then the draft guys etc.

Knighton has slipped under the radar a bit with not a lot of folks talking about him. But if this guy plays anywhere near his potential with this team he is going to cause utter havoc in the line and could end up as one of the defensive stars of the season.

I loved Andre Carter as well, his work ethic and approach were just fantastic. And he still seems to be a big Patriot fan even though he was only here for a short time.

Back