Pre Season Practices 2016 - OTAs, TC

Sounds good to me.

Assuming that the suspension sticks, seeing Jimmy getting his chance to shine is quite exciting to me. The single most interesting thing about the start of the 2016 season.

I think he has had a perfect situation to matriculate with relatively little pressure to be the Man and a few years to process things while his reps increase. His apprenticeship has perhaps a lot in common with Aaron Rodgers -- who backed up Brett Favre for 3 seasons before getting his chance. He is also under no pressure to win the job which will only help him. Perfect.

Sure, Jimmy could fall flat on his face, but that is not what is going to happen. I feel entirely confident that he is going to do great.

I will have to wait until real game situations, they are far different than low pressure throwing to guys in shorts. So before I can say "he looks like Brady" I will need to see it when the other team cares about trying to stop you. I do not see a fall on his face situation, but I think we need to hold our horses on the, he looks like Brady stuff that the media is feeding. Its not easy for anyone to make their NFL first starts at QB, even all time greats, so I am not expecting Brady right out of the blocks.

I think if for whatever reason Jimmy looked a deer in headlights which I don't expect, Bill would pull him and get someone else in there. But game 1 is at Zona which would have been tough even with Brady. So really no pressure in that game but most will be expecting him to win at least 2 of the next 3 at home. I am kind of pumped to see him too. This can be a great primer for our QB situation going forward.

Carr and Jimmy were my favs a few years ago coming out. I had Bortles behind Teddy which looks like a mistake. Anyway the only thing holding Graps back was dealing with pressure. Both him and Carr had trouble with it. I really expect Jimmy to shine in a big way. I don't consider myself a homer at all.
This team has been preparing for this for 2 years. Bill will put him in the best possible situation that will make comfortable. The schedule couldn't be better honestly. Arizona is a great measuring stick. The other 3 games are at home vs average teams that will be gunning for us. Texans probably the toughest of the 3. Miamisburg defense is complete trash. No exaggeration when I say they have zero dbs and lbs. None. No running game and weak oline. New coaching staff yet again with same average QB.

Buffalo got worse in losing players and still has Rex lol. They also have no safetys, lbs and no 3rd cb. Bracket double Sammy and stack 8. Simple as that. Taylor has no intermediate or short game. That team has no depth and very well could be without Taylor or Watkins.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GoZWrO9-FAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CB Jonathan Jones looks like a good late pick up. He's having a good camp for himself and getting noticed.

Patriots rookie cornerback Jonathan Jones was Malcolm Butler-esque in Monday's OTA session. http://nesn.com/?p=607880

Damn, now we have to wait 6 weeks for the real camp to begin.

:sulk:

Doug Kyed says CB Jonathan Jones and WR Chris Hogan are among big winners from mini camps.

The New England Patriots’ offseason workout program lasts until Thursday, but the media has seen their last practice of the spring. With the open sessions, including organized team activities and minicamp, wrapped up until the end of July, it’s time to go through the Patriots’ offseason standouts.

QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO Garoppolo looked like a good young quarterback in his first two offseasons. He showed the potential to be great this spring. Garoppolo had struggled at holding onto the ball too long while going through his progressions in the past. He fixed that issue this spring while also turning over the ball less frequently and showing more accuracy in general. Garoppolo wasn’t quite Tom Brady. But it was as close as a recent backup has come.

RB D.J. FOSTER Foster missed the final OTA session open to the media because of a left hamstring tweak, but he was the quickest, fastest and most impressive running back while healthy. Foster also showed the route-running skills and hands that made him a starting slot receiver in Arizona State’s offense last season. Those skills should give him plenty of versatility in the Patriots’ offense, if he makes the 53-man roster. WR

CHRIS HOGAN Hogan was the Patriots’ best wide receiver in the offseason workout program, though he didn’t have Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola to compete with. Hogan caught nearly every ball thrown his way and showed quickness and precision in his route running. He looks like he’ll be a consistent force in the Patriots’ offense this season if the unpadded sessions are any indication.

DE/LB ROB NINKOVICH Ninkovich was thrust into a new position, and he looked like he had been playing it for years. Ninkovich has been an edge defender throughout his Patriots career, whether it’s been at defensive end or outside linebacker. In camp, Ninkovich was playing off-the-line linebacker in both an inside and outside role. He had an interception the first day of OTAs open to the media and certainly didn’t make any glaring mistakes. We’ll have to wait until training camp to see if the experiment sticks.

CB JONATHAN JONES The undrafted rookie cornerback was on the radar after minicamp, and he broke out big-time Monday during the last OTA session open to the media, when he had four pass breakups. The Patriots might have found a major steal in Jones after the 2016 NFL Draft. He was projected to be selected as high as the fourth round but fell because of his size — or lack thereof. He’s only 5-foot-9, 186 pounds but ran a 4.33-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. He also ran a 1.47-second 10-yard split with a 36-inch vertical leap and 10-foot, 3-inch broad jump. His 7.25-second 3-cone and 4.25-second short shuttle were below average, especially for his lack of size. Jones shined in the unpadded, non-contact sessions. We’ll see how he fares when receivers are able to be more physical during training camp.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2016/06/patriots-offseason-standouts-jonathan-jones-chris-hogan-among-winners/

I will have to wait until real game situations, they are far different than low pressure throwing to guys in shorts. So before I can say "he looks like Brady" I will need to see it when the other team cares about trying to stop you. I do not see a fall on his face situation, but I think we need to hold our horses on the, he looks like Brady stuff that the media is feeding. Its not easy for anyone to make their NFL first starts at QB, even all time greats, so I am not expecting Brady right out of the blocks.

To be clear, I don't necessarily agree that Jimmy "looks like Brady" all that much. I am simply suggesting that he is both better and further along than most folks think he is and that opinion is based on little live game data and all of his work in preseason over his first two seasons compared to what I've seen in a hundred other inexperienced QBs trying to break into the show.

I'll take the writer's suggestion with a grain of salt but there was a clip provided where he did use a similar throwing motion to what we see from Tom, so maybe Jimmy has picked up some tendencies from observation/osmosis or throwing mechanics work with the staff. He's a great guy to study for an apprentice, so it's only logical that he'd pick some stuff up.

Still, they are much different guys physically with Brady being much taller and Jimmy being a far better athlete. We won't have to look at the number on their jerseys to tell them apart, but I'm hoping the stat sheets will look similar.

I am thinking more and more that we are fortunate if Jimmy plays this year as opposed to last year for 4 games. From everything I have seen written, he has much more command of the offense and his mechanics are improved. There can be a world of difference between a second and third year player. That seems to be the case for Jimmy.

To be clear, I don't necessarily agree that Jimmy "looks like Brady" all that much. I am simply suggesting that he is both better and further along than most folks think he is and that opinion is based on little live game data and all of his work in preseason over his first two seasons compared to what I've seen in a hundred other inexperienced QBs trying to break into the show.

I'll take the writer's suggestion with a grain of salt but there was a clip provided where he did use a similar throwing motion to what we see from Tom, so maybe Jimmy has picked up some tendencies from observation/osmosis or throwing mechanics work with the staff. He's a great guy to study for an apprentice, so it's only logical that he'd pick some stuff up.

Still, they are much different guys physically with Brady being much taller and Jimmy being a far better athlete. We won't have to look at the number on their jerseys to tell them apart, but I'm hoping the stat sheets will look similar.

I'd like to get a look at Garrop in action to see how far he's come. He was a mess his first year and I didn't see him at all last year. Suspecting he's as had a worker as his rep indicates, I'd think that he'd show tremendous strides in his fundamental game this pre-season.

If you watch him from those late game appearances in 2014, you'll see a guy who was struggling tremendously with his footwork and ball handling from under center in all phases of his game. He was simply bad and those limitations greatly effected his overall game. Stronger fundamentals should have a positive impact on his game at this point as what were once skills that required thinking should now be skills that rely on muscle memory so he can think about what he really needs to think about.

I'd like to get a look at Garrop in action to see how far he's come. He was a mess his first year and I didn't see him at all last year. Suspecting he's as had a worker as his rep indicates, I'd think that he'd show tremendous strides in his fundamental game this pre-season.

If you watch him from those late game appearances in 2014, you'll see a guy who was struggling tremendously with his footwork and ball handling from under center in all phases of his game. He was simply bad and those limitations greatly effected his overall game. Stronger fundamentals should have a positive impact on his game at this point as what were once skills that required thinking should now be skills that rely on muscle memory so he can think about what he really needs to think about.
Good to hear from you. All is well?

One would hope. You know as well as any of us and them some, that if your fundamentals are bad or non existing it's very hard to correct and not always achieved. By the time you finish college, virtually all of your skills are ingrained in muscle memory and one of the first steps in the rebuild process is to cleanse that memory. It seems like some of the stuff i read about with regards to Woods deciding his swing wasn't maximized and his decision to completely rebuild it from the ground up (back when he could play golf).

Long winded way of saying I won't be surprised if he, on occasion, under pressure, reverts to old habits. Hope not. He seems a good candidate for the successful makeover.

Cheers, BostonTim

Hi, AWTE, good to see you posting again.

A common theme from the media is that JG has improved significantly in the areas of economy of arm motion, decision making and proper footwork. That goes right along with the improved fundamentals you said you would be looking for. I'm also looking forward to seeing the kid perform but at the same time I'm hopeful the Pats have a strong running game to help him out and give him some added confidence.

Patriots will hold joint practices with
Saints on 8/9 & 8/10 &
Bears 8/15 & 8/16

Open to the public, too, weather permitting outdoors.

ClF8gtWWgAEbfUv.jpg

I don't disagree with AWTE about Jimmy's rookie issues with his feet and all kinds of mechanical things, but despite all that he was still pretty competitive and didn't just suck. In fact, he had some positive drives where he was excellent despite all that. Like a golfer who has grooved his flaws.

If he really gets squared away mechanically I imagine he will really raise a few eyebrows.

I'm talking a lot about the guy, but I'm just so damn curious to see him get a shot, even if it is brief.

I don't disagree with AWTE about Jimmy's rookie issues with his feet and all kinds of mechanical things, but despite all that he was still pretty competitive and didn't just suck. In fact, he had some positive drives where he was excellent despite all that. Like a golfer who has grooved his flaws.

If he really gets squared away mechanically I imagine he will really raise a few eyebrows.

I'm talking a lot about the guy, but I'm just so damn curious to see him get a shot, even if it is brief.

It might just come down to experience in real game situations. Its so hard to simulate that in practice.

:clap:

Bennett on Pats TEs: “If you want Martin Lawrence or Will Smith, you come to me. If you want Chris Farley or Mike Myers, you go to Gronk."

Back