Putting the year in perspective

The Hoodie

Let's make it 5!
Reaction score
We've experienced one of the most difficult losses this season, but, rightfully so, we forget what we came from this season.

It's difficult to do it at this time, because honestly i'm depressed just like the rest of you, but we've got toput the year into perspective and remember what we overcame.

Before the fire:
Many of you were predicting a 9-7, 10-6, 11-5 or even, dare I say, 12-4 team this year. I wasn't an active member of this forum so my predictions weren't documented, but I put this team around 11-5. People were dissappointed with the drafting of Devin McCourty, a CB from Rutgers University, because we all thought we could have used that pick to get an explosive OLB (such as Sergio Kindle). I personally felt we needed the most depth at WR, and could have made it worthwhile to draft a Golden Tate or Demaryius Thomas. Dez Bryant was available at our original pick but I didn't think he'd workout here. Then, hopes started getting up as we traded up to steal Rob Gronkowski from the Ravens, who had missed time because of back problems. The general thought would be that we'd end up with one of the dynamic TEs, Gronk or Hernandez. The fact that we were able to pick up both was icing on the cake. We also picked up Cunningham, Taylor Price, and Brandon Spikes, among others. We had a pretty solid draft.

After the draft I believe it was, we made some moves to our offense. We still didn't get rid of Maroney, but we added the hall of fame WR Torry Holt to the mix. The core of Holt, Welker, Moss and Edelman along with the two TEs looked fantastic on paper and I thought we had the best offense to date. Despite Holt was placed on IR and then released, we were looking at a good offense.

We entered a solid pre season despite a very dysmal victory over the Rams that had people questioning our credibility. Sergio Kindle, the man who most Patriot fans fell in love with, ended up missing his rookie year due to a freak accident at home. We had dodged a major bullet in that department and would rely on Cunningham to step up out of the rookies. We also brought on Gerrard Warren from the Browns. Going into our inital game vs Cincinatti, we looked solid but the defense was still a question that no one had an answer to. We lost our starting CB Leigh Bodden for the year and had to rely on Butler, which didn't seem too bad at the time. We needed answers, quick.

The fire:

The very first play against the dynamic Bengals, who had just signed Terrell Owens and released Antonio Bryant, was a pass to Owens that was broken up by rookie Devin McCourty. That play alone would be a symbol for this defense. It ended up symbolizing what this defense would become. The Patriots went to win that game, looking forward to the following game against the NYJ.

Darius Butler was entering a season of high expectations. He showed flashes of brilliance in his rookie year and many were only expecting improvement. That quickly changed during the week 2 performance against the Jets, in which he was beat by Braylon Edwards on nearly every play. The defensive play drew as much fire as the offensive play, in which star Jets CB Derelle Revis went down with an injury near the end of the 1st half. The offense would proceed to perform at their ultimate worst, which saw Brady force passes to Randy Moss, playing for his contract. That didn't end well. Oh yeah, Kevin Faulk went down that week too, but luckily we already signed Danny Woodhead from the Jets, presumably for some insight.

The point of that is was that the defense looked like they'd never change. They even looked like they'd be worse than last years, after watching Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Bills come within a TD of beating them. Confidence had been drained, but not fully lost. They were stellar in the defeat of the Dolphins and finally showed potential.

I'm not about to give a full, detailed history on the season (though it looks that way), but the trade of Randy Moss is one of the most important things to happen to this team. It took a load off the offense and Tom Brady, who no longer had to deal with the burden of passing to him during a game where he was shut down. We would also see the departure of the dynamic, gunslinger-like offense of 07, marked by deep bombs to Moss, and if not available, short outs to Welker. The offense was predictable and often one sided. Before we knew it, we would finally get an offense based on developing the young talent. Randy Moss was a poor influence around an offense with lots of young, developing superstars. Also, we saw the return of Deion Branch in a trade with Seattle. Branch's career was essentially dead in Seattle and wasn't nearly as good as he was when he was a Patriot.

The offense changed, the defense changed. Before we knew it, we had turnovers by the defense. Devin McCourty, a rookie only expected to make contributions on ST, made his presence known with his performance. However, on the way to the top, there are some patches in the ground.

Turning Point:
I chose the Cleveland Browns game as a major turning point. At this point, this team looked much better than expected. We finally got the return of the offense we once knew prior to Moss' arrival, and we looked unstoppable on that side of the ball. We marched into Cleveland with that sense of confidence--we weren't about to let a team such as Cleveland, one that had been losing for some time now, to defeat us. The fact that Eric Mangini was their coach only gave us more reason to destroy them.

We all remember how it went. They destroyed us. This is the turning point of the season because, believe it or not, I think this is the best thing that happened to us this season. The loss made us humble, brought us down to earth, and made us human again. The team would be at full force after the loss. We were wiser, stronger, and better. We didn't lose a game for the rest of the season.

The defense developed a clutch identity, saving key games such as the Baltimore OT win, and the Manning INT. The defense was living up to it's bend but don't break personality. They were 1st in the AFC in turnovers. Brady wasn't throwing picks. All was going great.

And in the end..:
A 14-2 end to the season was far better than I expected in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year with all this young talent. I thought, if this was a rebuilding year, then next year should be phenomenal. Devin McCourty surprised everyone the most, leading rookies in picks. Kyle Arrington, the replacement for the disappointment that is Darius Butler, proved to be a solid one, and even got his own pick for 6 against GB. The defense developed an identity similar to that of the Saints of last year--creating turnovers when it mattered. The defense had the power to shift momentum and even control the game...especially during games that the offense did nothing in. They were able to bail out the offense, and usually wasn't the other way around.

Tom Brady had one of his best years. He only threw 4 INTs, and went for over 300 passes without throwing one. He was a lock-in for MVP and was at the top of his game. The weapons of offense, apart from Julian Edelman and Brandon Tate, were producing and giving people more reasons to be positive about the team. We were all surprised with how well we turned out. With the bye week in the playoffs and the best record in the league, I'm sure we were satisfied with how far we've gotten, but anything short of an SB appearance would have been a disappointment.

We were elated when we found out we were facing NYJ in the first round in the playoffs since we already beat them pretty badly weeks prior. Many of you even went as far as predict another blow out. The week was headlined by trash talk, threats, and foot references. Many thought they didn't have a chance. Many thought the Jets would be ousted quickly. Many were wrong.

It was the worst offensive game for the Patriots in a very long while. Brady threw an INT, among other mistakes. We were eliminated at our first showing for the second year in a row. This time, it was against a team that we were clearly better than.

The future:
Lets look to the future, which seems difficult. Beyond all the new found support of the GB Packers, the Patriots have a variety of draft picks, including 2 in the early rounds. There is much room for improvement.

We still need that dynamic pass rusher. It goes without saying that Kyle Arrington, and especially Devin McCourty will be much better going into their 2nd year as starters. Leigh Bodden's coming back, too. Some people even think we have a chance at signing that dude with the long name from the Raiders. :p

The point is, there is room for improvement. There is time to make our team bigger, stronger, and better. There's time to delete the neagtives and add the positives. We couldn't bring us to the big dance this year, but no one expected us to go this far. It's difficult to be positive after what we've seen, but it can be done.

Putting into perspective:
It was an interesting season not only with the team, but within the NFL. At one point, the KC Chiefs and the TB Bucs were the hot teams around the league. Peyton Manning threw double digit interceptions in 3 games combined. Jay Cutler was sacked over 50 times and still made it in the playoffs. The Seahawks made it into the playoffs after we watched the Niners let us down. It's been an interesting season, and one of the best. There were no 'elite' teams as we've seen before. Every team was human.

I'm glad we got as far as we did, but not glad we lost so quickly for the 2nd year in a row. Maybe we don't have 'it' anymore? I don't know. We'll see in the playoffs.

Thanks for reading. Bear with me, because I'll bear with you.

Well put. Our future does look bright and while we the end was not close to what we were hoping for lately, it is quite a bit more than was realistically expected. If this learning curve can continue we are in for much better seasons than this one. ;)

Well thought out thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

Nobody puts things in perspective, its usually knee jerk, this guy is to blame, this guy, we need to get rid of this and that. YOu are 100% correct, most people on this board had this team 8-8. Nobody had brady going 11 games without a pick, nobody had them at 14-2, nobody thought the young guys would come up the way they did. Fact is, at the end of the day, we went way beyond expectations. I know it sucks to lose. My freaking month is flat out shot, but after a while, you have to sit back and say, wow, they did quite a bit, they went beyond what a rebuilding team is supposed to do. A lot of these guys are kids, your whole team has to be ready for prime time, not one player, not two players, the whole team, and maybe at this point, they were not, but this only helps the future, which looks pretty damn good for the next 3 years. 1 team wins the superbowl every year, about 25 teams would like to be the patriots , the other 7 are playoff teams usually. I am sorry for everyone they didnt win it all, 31 other teams are in the same boat, but nobody has had the success the pats have had in the past 9 years, maybe thats ok too.

I definitely thought the team would go 8-8.

Even after they finished 14-2, I never really thought they were the juggernaut the national media thought they were. I certainly hoped I was wrong.

My only real disappointment with the team is that I think maybe they got caught up in their own hype. Kind of makes me think again that maybe Belichick is spread too thin.

I'm also not that excited about their 6 draft picks in the first 3 rounds thing.

Why aren't you excited about the picks? I can see why for the most part--there's confusion about the next season, and honestly I would have preferred to have the picks in the recent draft since that was a deeper class. But hopefully we can make things happen and attack the needs.

Don't forget, there are a bunch of FA's that should be on the market. Hopefully we could make something happen there.

I definitely thought the team would go 8-8.

Even after they finished 14-2, I never really thought they were the juggernaut the national media thought they were. I certainly hoped I was wrong.

My only real disappointment with the team is that I think maybe they got caught up in their own hype. Kind of makes me think again that maybe Belichick is spread too thin.

I'm also not that excited about their 6 draft picks in the first 3 rounds thing.

I guarantee that we will not have 6 picks in the first three rounds when all is said and done. I am thinking we might take 4 and add two picks next year. BB is always investing in the future like that.

That said, I think we can address the issues on both lines with this draft. If we can shore those spots up, sign Mankins, and get some key pieces healthy, will be able to make another run in 2012.

Everything that happened last night aside, The future's so bright for the Patriots...I gotta wear shades. At least this team will HAVE the chance to get beat down in the playoffs every year going forward for at least the next 5 years.

Everything that happened last night aside, The future's so bright for the Patriots...I gotta wear shades. At least this team will HAVE the chance to get beat down in the playoffs every year going forward for at least the next 5 years.
to compete while re-stocking like the Patriots appear to be doing is an amazing accomplishment

Hoodie that was a great post and I agree with a lot of it.
The only thing for me is that by the time the got to the end of the year my expectations had been adjusted up a bit based on what they were able to do. This playoff performance was much much harder to swallow than last year's horrid debacle because this was a better team.

The only thing for me is that by the time the got to the end of the year my expectations had been adjusted up a bit based on what they were able to do. This playoff performance was much much harder to swallow than last year's horrid debacle because this was a better team.

Thanks for the compliment.

As for your reply, I definitely agree. I was happy that last year's team made it to the playoffs despite of the turbulent season they came out of, and while I did feel we could beat the Ravens, I didn't think we would be in the playoffs for too long, so when they got burned in the WC round I wasn't that upset about it. There's a lot more to be upset with in this scenario because yes, even though the team exceeded all expectations, we had a damn good team this year and for us to get embarrassed like that again doesn't make it any better.

With the Green Bay Packers on the NFC side looking nearly unstoppable, I definitely didn't give this team a ring they didn't win yet, but I definitely did think they were capable of doing it.

The 07 SB loss was expected on my part--at that point in recent games, that team started looking very, very human and were bound to crack at some point. This team just cracked, without warning. That's a shame.

A very nice post, Hoodie. You summed up my own feelings pretty darn well. And like Muse, my expectations were continuously raised throughout the season except for a downward blip with the Browns debacle. 14-2 was far better than I anticipated. To be honest, had we made the SB, I was feeling very fearful of the Packers and would have expected a loss.

It was a great, great season. I expect no one feels as badly the pats players and coaches today for what might have been. Hope floats for next year.

We've experienced one of the most difficult losses this season, but, rightfully so, we forget what we came from this season.

It's difficult to do it at this time, because honestly i'm depressed just like the rest of you, but we've got toput the year into perspective and remember what we overcame.

Before the fire:
Many of you were predicting a 9-7, 10-6, 11-5 or even, dare I say, 12-4 team this year. I wasn't an active member of this forum so my predictions weren't documented, but I put this team around 11-5. People were dissappointed with the drafting of Devin McCourty, a CB from Rutgers University, because we all thought we could have used that pick to get an explosive OLB (such as Sergio Kindle). I personally felt we needed the most depth at WR, and could have made it worthwhile to draft a Golden Tate or Demaryius Thomas. Dez Bryant was available at our original pick but I didn't think he'd workout here. Then, hopes started getting up as we traded up to steal Rob Gronkowski from the Ravens, who had missed time because of back problems. The general thought would be that we'd end up with one of the dynamic TEs, Gronk or Hernandez. The fact that we were able to pick up both was icing on the cake. We also picked up Cunningham, Taylor Price, and Brandon Spikes, among others. We had a pretty solid draft.

After the draft I believe it was, we made some moves to our offense. We still didn't get rid of Maroney, but we added the hall of fame WR Torry Holt to the mix. The core of Holt, Welker, Moss and Edelman along with the two TEs looked fantastic on paper and I thought we had the best offense to date. Despite Holt was placed on IR and then released, we were looking at a good offense.

We entered a solid pre season despite a very dysmal victory over the Rams that had people questioning our credibility. Sergio Kindle, the man who most Patriot fans fell in love with, ended up missing his rookie year due to a freak accident at home. We had dodged a major bullet in that department and would rely on Cunningham to step up out of the rookies. We also brought on Gerrard Warren from the Browns. Going into our inital game vs Cincinatti, we looked solid but the defense was still a question that no one had an answer to. We lost our starting CB Leigh Bodden for the year and had to rely on Butler, which didn't seem too bad at the time. We needed answers, quick.

The fire:

The very first play against the dynamic Bengals, who had just signed Terrell Owens and released Antonio Bryant, was a pass to Owens that was broken up by rookie Devin McCourty. That play alone would be a symbol for this defense. It ended up symbolizing what this defense would become. The Patriots went to win that game, looking forward to the following game against the NYJ.

Darius Butler was entering a season of high expectations. He showed flashes of brilliance in his rookie year and many were only expecting improvement. That quickly changed during the week 2 performance against the Jets, in which he was beat by Braylon Edwards on nearly every play. The defensive play drew as much fire as the offensive play, in which star Jets CB Derelle Revis went down with an injury near the end of the 1st half. The offense would proceed to perform at their ultimate worst, which saw Brady force passes to Randy Moss, playing for his contract. That didn't end well. Oh yeah, Kevin Faulk went down that week too, but luckily we already signed Danny Woodhead from the Jets, presumably for some insight.

The point of that is was that the defense looked like they'd never change. They even looked like they'd be worse than last years, after watching Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Bills come within a TD of beating them. Confidence had been drained, but not fully lost. They were stellar in the defeat of the Dolphins and finally showed potential.

I'm not about to give a full, detailed history on the season (though it looks that way), but the trade of Randy Moss is one of the most important things to happen to this team. It took a load off the offense and Tom Brady, who no longer had to deal with the burden of passing to him during a game where he was shut down. We would also see the departure of the dynamic, gunslinger-like offense of 07, marked by deep bombs to Moss, and if not available, short outs to Welker. The offense was predictable and often one sided. Before we knew it, we would finally get an offense based on developing the young talent. Randy Moss was a poor influence around an offense with lots of young, developing superstars. Also, we saw the return of Deion Branch in a trade with Seattle. Branch's career was essentially dead in Seattle and wasn't nearly as good as he was when he was a Patriot.

The offense changed, the defense changed. Before we knew it, we had turnovers by the defense. Devin McCourty, a rookie only expected to make contributions on ST, made his presence known with his performance. However, on the way to the top, there are some patches in the ground.

Turning Point:
I chose the Cleveland Browns game as a major turning point. At this point, this team looked much better than expected. We finally got the return of the offense we once knew prior to Moss' arrival, and we looked unstoppable on that side of the ball. We marched into Cleveland with that sense of confidence--we weren't about to let a team such as Cleveland, one that had been losing for some time now, to defeat us. The fact that Eric Mangini was their coach only gave us more reason to destroy them.

We all remember how it went. They destroyed us. This is the turning point of the season because, believe it or not, I think this is the best thing that happened to us this season. The loss made us humble, brought us down to earth, and made us human again. The team would be at full force after the loss. We were wiser, stronger, and better. We didn't lose a game for the rest of the season.

The defense developed a clutch identity, saving key games such as the Baltimore OT win, and the Manning INT. The defense was living up to it's bend but don't break personality. They were 1st in the AFC in turnovers. Brady wasn't throwing picks. All was going great.

And in the end..:
A 14-2 end to the season was far better than I expected in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year with all this young talent. I thought, if this was a rebuilding year, then next year should be phenomenal. Devin McCourty surprised everyone the most, leading rookies in picks. Kyle Arrington, the replacement for the disappointment that is Darius Butler, proved to be a solid one, and even got his own pick for 6 against GB. The defense developed an identity similar to that of the Saints of last year--creating turnovers when it mattered. The defense had the power to shift momentum and even control the game...especially during games that the offense did nothing in. They were able to bail out the offense, and usually wasn't the other way around.

Tom Brady had one of his best years. He only threw 4 INTs, and went for over 300 passes without throwing one. He was a lock-in for MVP and was at the top of his game. The weapons of offense, apart from Julian Edelman and Brandon Tate, were producing and giving people more reasons to be positive about the team. We were all surprised with how well we turned out. With the bye week in the playoffs and the best record in the league, I'm sure we were satisfied with how far we've gotten, but anything short of an SB appearance would have been a disappointment.

We were elated when we found out we were facing NYJ in the first round in the playoffs since we already beat them pretty badly weeks prior. Many of you even went as far as predict another blow out. The week was headlined by trash talk, threats, and foot references. Many thought they didn't have a chance. Many thought the Jets would be ousted quickly. Many were wrong.

It was the worst offensive game for the Patriots in a very long while. Brady threw an INT, among other mistakes. We were eliminated at our first showing for the second year in a row. This time, it was against a team that we were clearly better than.

The future:
Lets look to the future, which seems difficult. Beyond all the new found support of the GB Packers, the Patriots have a variety of draft picks, including 2 in the early rounds. There is much room for improvement.

We still need that dynamic pass rusher. It goes without saying that Kyle Arrington, and especially Devin McCourty will be much better going into their 2nd year as starters. Leigh Bodden's coming back, too. Some people even think we have a chance at signing that dude with the long name from the Raiders. :p

The point is, there is room for improvement. There is time to make our team bigger, stronger, and better. There's time to delete the neagtives and add the positives. We couldn't bring us to the big dance this year, but no one expected us to go this far. It's difficult to be positive after what we've seen, but it can be done.

Putting into perspective:
It was an interesting season not only with the team, but within the NFL. At one point, the KC Chiefs and the TB Bucs were the hot teams around the league. Peyton Manning threw double digit interceptions in 3 games combined. Jay Cutler was sacked over 50 times and still made it in the playoffs. The Seahawks made it into the playoffs after we watched the Niners let us down. It's been an interesting season, and one of the best. There were no 'elite' teams as we've seen before. Every team was human.

I'm glad we got as far as we did, but not glad we lost so quickly for the 2nd year in a row. Maybe we don't have 'it' anymore? I don't know. We'll see in the playoffs.

Thanks for reading. Bear with me, because I'll bear with you.

I agree with you here, Hoodie, especially about every team being human. NE emerged as the anointed one after week 13. That's a lot of football played without emerging as a front-runner.

The stretches of excellent and thrilling games NE played this year are tempered by their performance in their poorest games. There is simply too much disparity between them, and NE must close this gap if they are to create a powerful, dominant team for the future.

One team wins the superbowl every year, sometimes its not you. I think pats fans lost sight of this, I know I did. Joe Montana is looked at as the greatest Qb of all time, he lost 7 playoff games, brady has lost 5....maybe its time we had a little perspective. If you step back and look, was this team really ready for all this? 6 rookie starters? At some point the being perfect runs out, and it ran out, this offense had to be perfect and the defense had to get turnovers, if neither of those happen, we are losing in the playoffs. There is a lot to be excited about, all these kids get to come back next year and do it again. Thats football.

One team wins the superbowl every year, sometimes its not you. I think pats fans lost sight of this, I know I did. Joe Montana is looked at as the greatest Qb of all time, he lost 7 playoff games, brady has lost 5....maybe its time we had a little perspective. If you step back and look, was this team really ready for all this? 6 rookie starters? At some point the being perfect runs out, and it ran out, this offense had to be perfect and the defense had to get turnovers, if neither of those happen, we are losing in the playoffs. There is a lot to be excited about, all these kids get to come back next year and do it again. Thats football.

Agree with the original post, nicely stated and pretty much sums up my feelings on this Year.

This is all part of the learning process, next year the rookies will know better than to get caught up in all the hype. The "D' line was a "patchwork" of sorts wasnt it? No Ty Warren, losing players to other injuries, we still have big holes to fill. This Team is only going to get better. This Pats/Jets rivalry is going to be good for awhile..its all good for the Game, and its certainly good to be a Pats fan.

Agree with the original post, nicely stated and pretty much sums up my feelings on this Year.

This is all part of the learning process, next year the rookies will know better than to get caught up in all the hype. The "D' line was a "patchwork" of sorts wasnt it? No Ty Warren, losing players to other injuries, we still have big holes to fill. This Team is only going to get better. This Pats/Jets rivalry is going to be good for awhile..its all good for the Game, and its certainly good to be a Pats fan.

Our d-line next year will be very solid if Ty Warren comes back fully. We would be able to let whatever DE gets drafted assimilate at a rate suitable to BBs schedule

Warren-Wilfork-Warren can be pretty impressive.

World War Wilfork. I like it.

Our d-line next year will be very solid if Ty Warren comes back fully. We would be able to let whatever DE gets drafted assimilate at a rate suitable to BBs schedule

Warren-Wilfork-Warren can be pretty impressive.

World War Wilfork. I like it.

In 2003-04, I used to refer to the defense as Tedy, Willie and Vrabel.

Back