QUARTERBACKS

oldbagfan

No touchy
Reaction score
Thinking of the disaster who is our current QB, I was mentally looking over some actual real football players of the past. For my money, the two toughest quarterbacks ever under center (the obvious is disqualified), would have to be Steve Grogan and Terry Bradshaw. I saw both of those guys carried off the field on about four separate stretchers only to return to the field about 2 plays later. You couldn't get either of them off the field with a cannon. MO

I welcome youse guys' opinions on this topic.
OBF

Thinking of the disaster who is our current QB, I was mentally looking over some actual real football players of the past. For my money, the two toughest quarterbacks ever under center (the obvious is disqualified), would have to be Steve Grogan and Terry Bradshaw. I saw both of those guys carried off the field on about four separate stretchers only to return to the field about 2 plays later. You couldn't get either of them off the field with a cannon. MO

OBF
Grogan would have to be up there in terms of Patriots QBs for sure. I'd put Bledsoe up there too, the beating he took his first 6 years kind of gets lost to history.
Gotta give it up to Eli Manning too, one of the last of that breed. I still remember the playoff game against the 49ers, he took an absolute beating and just kept coming back. Ron Jaworski's another one who got the shit kicked out of him on a regular basis.

Jim Plunkett got the living crap beat out of him week after week to the point that most people thought he was washed up.
Reminds me a little of Mac's situation now.
Wasn't Plunkett blind or something? Also, Dan Fouts saw a lot of time on the ground.

Grogan would have to be up there in terms of Patriots QBs for sure. I'd put Bledsoe up there too, the beating he took his first 6 years kind of gets lost to history.
Gotta give it up to Eli Manning too, one of the last of that breed. I still remember the playoff game against the 49ers, he took an absolute beating and just kept coming back. Ron Jaworski's another one who got the shit kicked out of him on a regular basis.
Would never think of putting Baby Brother on this list. I did watch John Elway play a lot with injuries - primarily a big ol wrap on his thigh.

For plain ol grit and moxie, Grogan was unmatched. But for guys who kept getting leveled and kept coming back, I still have to vote for Bradshaw. Maybe he was just too dumb to know he was hurt.

OBF
Any QB that plays with a lineman's neck brace is an automatic legend in my book. Stan Humphries was a tough sonofabitch too, I remember him on many occasions stepping into throws with linebackers coming at him with a full head of steam. He took some punishing hits in his career.

Any QB that plays with a lineman's neck brace is an automatic legend in my book. Stan Humphries was a tough sonofabitch too, I remember him on many occasions stepping into throws with linebackers coming at him with a full head of steam. He took some punishing hits in his career.
Plus, he looked a lot like if Eddie Vedder put on a football helmet. No one but me ever saw this comparison.

gettyimages-72307371-612x612.jpg

Back