Random acts of kindness

My wife and I have paid for other meals while out (once was a couple cops at a small town place and I believe a mother with small kids at another place). Also when a local place reopened after being closed to dine in, I left a card for the whole staff with money in it on topo of the normal tip.

A common biker practice is to pay a toll for the guy behind you. I’ve had it done for me by strangers and have done it also. Always cool to get the wave when you do it.
There can be a funny (kinda!) downside. Several years ago while leaving Chicago after a weeks worth of training I paid for the toll for my co-worker behind me as we were getting on the same highway.

He got a speeding ticket trying to catch up to me to wave thank you...

My wife and I have paid for other meals while out (once was a couple cops at a small town place and I believe a mother with small kids at another place). Also when a local place reopened after being closed to dine in, I left a card for the whole staff with money in it on topo of the normal tip.
Yeah? Yeah? I got ya beat hands down. When I was 20 I left a $200 tip on a $5 burger and Coke for the gorgeous waitress who was my friend.

OK, OK not even close to the same deal cuz I just totally wanted to get with her. 🤣

Your story is wonderful and when I can I have done the same.

Best part of my story though is we are the greatest friends to this day. 💖

I remember leaving a big tip at Steak and Shake (as in 50% or more of my bill), just because the waitress brought me a glass of tea. I had downed it by the time she came back. She brought me two glasses next time, and I downed those. So she brought me a pitcher. I had just helped a friend move in the middle of summer so I was very thirsty.

My church just started a garden to grow for our community in our front yard. We did six plots. All sorts of vegetables have spring up and as we were giving them away, businesses in our town have been donating food to our community fridge. It has caught on like wildfire - people wanting to help people in need. It has been wonderful to observe how a small idea can blossom.

There can be a funny (kinda!) downside. Several years ago while leaving Chicago after a weeks worth of training I paid for the toll for my co-worker behind me as we were getting on the same highway.

He got a speeding ticket trying to catch up to me to wave thank you...
No good deed goes unpunished as the saying goes

My wife agreed to marry me 34 years ago.

That's a random act of kindness directed to every other woman on the planet. Getting me out of circulation saved all those women a lot of grief.
Seriously, the 🤣 I gave you really does not do justice for the amount of laughter your comment gave me. LOL

The first words of the OP are when was the last time...

About 5 minutes ago at 230 in the morning on my walk home from the store.

There was nothing unusual about it. It's just who I am to everyone I meet every day.

It is interesting the responses which range from distrust, to anger to hugs and even an occasional tear.

Be good to each other as a matter of course. Most of us are worth it.

When was the last time you did a random act of kindness? When was the last time someone did it for you?

We walk early in the morning. It is still dark. Along the way, we walk the newspaper to the resident’s front door. The majority of my neighborhood are elderly and up. Also, if we see a mailbox door open, we will shut it. If there is trash or recycle can out, and the lid is uncovered, we tend to close that when there is a high chance of rain. We have moved cans back to the front of the house from the road.

We do it for no other reason.

A couple down the street have been trying to find out who has been doing this. A neighbor two doors down, who we know, saw us in passing and told them it was us.

Today, as I waited at the end of the driveway, I hear the newspaper hit the door, but soon I hear voices. Looking in that direction, I see a woman, and soon her husband joins her as he called me over.

My husband asked them what were they doing up so early? Apparently, according to them, they have been getting up early for a few days trying to catch us.

They wanted to personally thank us by giving me a bouquet of sweet-smelling red carnations and my husband a nice water bottle.

I immediately teared up. We were both surprised at the tenderness of this couple and the sweet nature. Not to forget, they got up early for days to catch us since they did not know where we lived.

This has made my day and will make it more days after.
Back in the good old toll booth days, I used to nearly always do the next car thing. Never knew who it was, and recognition was neither expected, nor desired. I just smiled.

Maybe six months ago, I ordered a clam roll for lunch, realized, fairly soon after the order that I had forgotten my wallet. I informed the waitress and asked her if it was too late to cancel the order. She went to check and returned to tell me that the woman in the booth behind me had overheard my dilemma and picked up my check. Thanked her and promised to reciprocate for some else. Forgot for a bit, and recently remembered and picked up a young man and woman's tab at lunch 2 weeks ago.

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." - Ronald Regan

Cheers.

AOT must have an honest face, And they are right. Help strangers all the time. The other night I helped a lady figure out how to pop the hood on her car open, lol.
Several people there, but she came up to me,
Thru out the years, I get pegged as someone that might be easy to come ask for help. Wifey has noticed and laughs at me.

PS no toll roads out here,

When ever I’m ready to fart I always give a warning by tapping her on the shoulder.

Last edited:
Back