Random Football News

Not so sure in a jump ball situation. By the letter of the rule, both sides have an equal right to the ball, so we get into a gray area when both sides are jostling for position.

It is generally a gray area. But how gray is the #31 with his hand around Gronks throat?

Cheers

I will predict the future now. In the next few years, at least one game will be taken from the Patriots and given to the Jets by the NY powers that be using this rule.

Forget about Jordy Nelson

Jordy Nelson retires

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2019, 10:20 AM EDT

Jordy Nelson is calling it a career.

Nelson, the wide receiver who played last year in Oakland after playing for a decade in Green Bay, is retiring, according to his former Packers teammate James Jones.

Last year Nelson still looked like he could contribute in the NFL, especially late in the season, when he caught 36 passes over the last five games of 2018. But the Raiders cut him after trading for Antonio Brown, and the 33-year-old Nelson has apparently decided it’s time to move on.

Nelson finishes his career with 613 catches for 8,587 yards and 72 touchdowns, a Pro Bowl appearance in 2014, a Comeback Player of the Year award in 2016, and a Super Bowl XLV ring.

The number of challenges each team gets per game hasn't changed, so expanding what can or can't be challenged shouldn't make the games any longer.

My question is about the last 2 minutes of each half, where the replays come from "upstairs", not the coaches. The last 2 minutes will every pass play be reviewed? That will be a certified disaster.

The number of challenges each team gets per game hasn't changed, so expanding what can or can't be challenged shouldn't make the games any longer.

My question is about the last 2 minutes of each half, where the replays come from "upstairs", not the coaches. The last 2 minutes will every pass play be reviewed? That will be a certified disaster.

Sure will, and will make the game interminably long with numerous delays.
It's a guarantee that every game ending hail mary will be reviewed. As highlighter with the pic from the end of SB52, how many of those will end with an untimed play from the 1 yd line?

Another guarantee, the Pats win a game from a hail mary DPI called after review and the league will be screaming to revert the rule.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
NFL’s Competition Committee also admitted the Brandin Cooks play at the end of this year’s Super Bowl would have been ruled pass interference, giving the Rams the ball at 1-yard line, per source.

Here's the play
https://nesn.com/2019/03/apparently-patriots-committed-pass-interference-at-end-of-super-bowl-liii/

Gilmore grabbed Cooks' left wrist. IDK, man. That's really close but by a strict interpretation of the rule...

<article class="MediaCard MediaCard--mediaForward cards-multimedia customisable-border" data-scribe="component:card" dir="ltr">
</article>

Well there it is.

We can officially add yet another rule change instituted by the Pats.

You’d think at some point embarrassment would kick in.

This would have been PI, too

D2oeNVfWoAAJc-G.jpg:large

Definitely.

Offensive Pass Interference. It is Gronk.

Well there it is.

We can officially add yet another rule change instituted by the Pats.

You’d think at some point embarrassment would kick in.

It's all because of Saints- Rams. In any event this is going to be a total cluster fuck. Damn near ever Hail Mary has some sort of PI but they generally let em play. Games will take longer & you'll have WR's flopping like European soccer players. Or better yet, like Manu Ginobili. Edleman will be master at it. As if playing wr & qb couldn't get any easier.
I hope this bites the NFL square in the ass. So dumb.

It's all because of Saints- Rams. In any event this is going to be a total cluster fuck. Damn near ever Hail Mary has some sort of PI but they generally let em play. Games will take longer & you'll have WR's flopping like European soccer players. Or better yet, like Manu Ginobili. Edleman will be master at it. As if playing wr & qb couldn't get any easier.
I hope this bites the NFL square in the ass. So dumb.

It will be sure to be bad for some of the teams...no doubt. :coffee:

According to another message board, this picture was taken after the ball had already been tipped.

Based on the trajectory, I have a hard time believing that the ball was tipped prior to the picture being taken.

Also, would the pick play that the Chiefs pulled on the Pats in the AFCCG be reviewable? Or is that a holding call typically. I know PI is only called when the ball is in the air but I wonder if this rule would stretch to these types of calls.

What could possibly go wrong with this idea.....

Kliff Kingsbury will give players “cellphone breaks” during meetings

Coaches around the NFL said they’ll be scratching their heads about how to prepare for the Cardinals offense early in head coach Kliff Kingsbury’s tenure because he’ll be doing things differently than most coaches.

Doing things differently will extend to Kingsbury’s own team as well. The former Texas Tech coach said on Tuesday that he will draw on his experience at the collegiate level by building “cellphone breaks” into his team meetings.

Kingsbury said that he saw how short the attention spans of young players are during his time in Lubbock and that he began breaking up the meetings into 20 or 30 minute chunks in order to be sure that coaches are “maximizing their time” with the players.

“You start to see kind of hands twitching and legs shaking, and you know they need to get that social media fix, so we’ll let them hop over there and then get back in the meeting and refocus,” Kingsbury said, via ESPN.com.

Like everything else about Kingsbury’s way of coaching a team, the results on the field will determine the ultimate reaction to an unusual way of doing things. If the Cardinals win, he’ll likely be praised for finding a way to engage his players effectively. If they lose, he’ll be criticized for failing to have the team properly focused on the job at hand.

TT record 35-40. Only two winning seasons in six years. He went 8-5 once & 7-6. 1-2 in Bowl games. I don't get the hype & I would bet he's gone in 3 years. Maybe two.

The Cardinals are rarely ever any good...KK can't be any worse than the last guy. I don't even recall his name. He used to be some coach for the Panthers.

Regarding potential reviews involving illegal picks:

Pick plays could present a potential replay review can of worms

Generally speaking, the NFL made a wise decision to make pass interference subject to replay review. Still, some of the specifics could get interesting.

Case in point: The automatic review of any touchdown reception will likely now include scanning the field for not only a push off at the point the ball was caught but an illegal pick at the point where the receiver got open.

“Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference,” the official rulebook states. And since the expansion of replay applies generally to offensive pass interference and defensive pass interference, blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage prior to a pass being thrown becomes the silver bullet to wipe out a touchdown.

It also provide the basis for erasing a huge gain (not resulting in a touchdown) with a red challenge flag, if the play happens prior to the two-minute warning in either half of action.

If it’s a foul, it should be called. And maybe the availability of replay will result in more picks being called as offensive pass interference, since more missed picks can now be called after the fact.

Regardless of how it plays out, it’s a clear consequence (intended or not) of the rule that the league adopted on Tuesday.

Back