Random Football News

It depends if you believe GB wanted Rodgers for more than 1-2 more years. When they drafted Love, that pretty much signaled that they were moving on. Their FO did a fabulous job of convincing him to come back and play this year by just voiding the final year of his contract which in reality they probably were not going to have him play anyways. I agree that keeping the second year was key for trade value which again is another check mark for the GB FO. They got Rodgers back with no added money for basically 2 years even though they may end up trading him next year which would line up with their timing of wanting Love to start.

The other thing to note which I think is also a huge positive for GB is Rodgers will be motivated to play well this season in order for his trade value to go up for other teams. That is probably the best news for GB and for the fans especially if this is his last year.

In terms of Brady, the situations are very different. Brady played out his entire contract and just asked not to be franchised which let's face it, Bill was never going to tag him anyways. But Rogers is trying to wiggle out of a 3 year deal and that is the rub and why he won't have his freedom like Brady did after playing this season. No player of Rodgers value gets to dictate to any org to be a UFA. That is earned. GB will have a say in where he ends up playing as they will be trading him which is why I do think there is a slim chance he plays 2 more years and becomes an UFA in 2023. That would be his best plan if he really wants to mirror Brady's path.

Over It Reaction GIF by jjjjjohn

You do love to spin.

It depends if you believe GB wanted Rodgers for more than 1-2 more years. When they drafted Love, that pretty much signaled that they were moving on. Their FO did a fabulous job of convincing him to come back and play this year by just voiding the final year of his contract which in reality they probably were not going to have him play anyways. I agree that keeping the second year was key for trade value which again is another check mark for the GB FO. They got Rodgers back with no added money for basically 2 years even though they may end up trading him next year which would line up with their timing of wanting Love to start.

The other thing to note which I think is also a huge positive for GB is Rodgers will be motivated to play well this season in order for his trade value to go up for other teams. That is probably the best news for GB and for the fans especially if this is his last year.

In terms of Brady, the situations are very different. Brady played out his entire contract and just asked not to be franchised which let's face it, Bill was never going to tag him anyways. But Rogers is trying to wiggle out of a 3 year deal and that is the rub and why he won't have his freedom like Brady did after playing this season. No player of Rodgers value gets to dictate to any org to be a UFA. That is earned. GB will have a say in where he ends up playing as they will be trading him which is why I do think there is a slim chance he plays 2 more years and becomes an UFA in 2023. That would be his best plan if he really wants to mirror Brady's path.

I've read in several places that AR will have a say in where he's traded for the 2022 season. That may or may not be correct but that sounds about right to me so long as GB gets equal trade return. Chances are AR already knows where he's going. The language is all important. We all know how TB12 forced his way off the Patriots. He got his wish. AR has gotten his wish by forcing GB to trade him by giving them a year and in return he doesn't have to pay back the $11M he's already been paid for this year. That's a win-win & both sides came out ahead imo. This was a logical and common sense way for this to end.

I've read in several places that AR will have a say in where he's traded for the 2022 season. That may or may not be correct but that sounds about right to me so long as GB gets equal trade return. Chances are AR already knows where he's going. The language is all important. We all know how TB12 forced his way off the Patriots. He got his wish. AR has gotten his wish by forcing GB to trade him by giving them a year and in return he doesn't have to pay back the $11M he's already been paid for this year. That's a win-win & both sides came out ahead imo. This was a logical and common sense way for this to end.
How did Brady force his way out? He wanted a multi-year deal back in '17 and '18 and didn't get it. He was in his last year in '19 and was not offered a new deal. He was told he could come back on a year to year basis. He wanted more of a commitment so the only thing he asked for was not to be franchised and Kraft/Bill granted that given he had just helped to deliver the Patriots their 6th ring.

Rodgers situation could not be any more different. He has/had 3 years left on his deal and decided he did not want to play for them anymore. He really did nothing except stay away all off-season and post cryptic messages on SM. You say this is a win-win and I don't see how it is for Rodgers who was emphatic that he was not coming back to the Pack. Of course he came back because he was not going to fork over his salary and all he got was one year voided. He didn't get any new money which is huge as players almost always hold out for more money and he got nothing. That is a huge win for GB.

My understanding on 2022 is it is a verbal agreement to trade him if he still feels things are not to his liking. GB gets to decide where to trade him. They own his rights. I am sure they will work with him and whatever team(s) want him to get the best compensation but that is a far cry from being an UFA. Many teams who would have pursed Rodgers had he been a UFA will not want him given they will have to fork over draft compensation. So he will not get his pick. Most likely it will be a mid-tier team in the AFC that will want him because they want to compete for a couple of years.

Now another angle to consider is if he goes out and has another great season and Love is still not ready to start. If that happens, GB will not trade him. They will do their "review" and say we like the way things are and your level play. I think there is a strong chance he plays next year too as that would be advantageous to him in terms of becoming a UFA in 2023. I do wonder if that is why he liked this agreement. Getting the one year voided at least gives him a chance in 2 years to become a UFA. That being said, he will be turning 40 if that happens. I know Brady has set the bar so far high for players competing into their 40s. But no one has done it but Brady. Favre was done at 40. Brees just retired as he turned 41 with a slew of injuries and of course Manning was done at 39. It is very doubtful Rodgers is going to be playing at a high level come 2023 and I think GB is pretty much betting on that which is why it was paramount they got him back for this season to compete and also let Love have another season to develop.

How did Brady force his way out? He wanted a multi-year deal back in '17 and '18 and didn't get it. He was in his last year in '19 and was not offered a new deal. He was told he could come back on a year to year basis. He wanted more of a commitment so the only thing he asked for was not to be franchised and Kraft/Bill granted that given he had just helped to deliver the Patriots their 6th ring.

Rodgers situation could not be any more different. He has/had 3 years left on his deal and decided he did not want to play for them anymore. He really did nothing except stay away all off-season and post cryptic messages on SM. You say this is a win-win and I don't see how it is for Rodgers who was emphatic that he was not coming back to the Pack. Of course he came back because he was not going to fork over his salary and all he got was one year voided. He didn't get any new money which is huge as players almost always hold out for more money and he got nothing. That is a huge win for GB.

My understanding on 2022 is it is a verbal agreement to trade him if he still feels things are not to his liking. GB gets to decide where to trade him. They own his rights. I am sure they will work with him and whatever team(s) want him to get the best compensation but that is a far cry from being an UFA. Many teams who would have pursed Rodgers had he been a UFA will not want him given they will have to fork over draft compensation. So he will not get his pick. Most likely it will be a mid-tier team in the AFC that will want him because they want to compete for a couple of years.

Now another angle to consider is if he goes out and has another great season and Love is still not ready to start. If that happens, GB will not trade him. They will do their "review" and say we like the way things are and your level play. I think there is a strong chance he plays next year too as that would be advantageous to him in terms of becoming a UFA in 2023. I do wonder if that is why he liked this agreement. Getting the one year voided at least gives him a chance in 2 years to become a UFA. That being said, he will be turning 40 if that happens. I know Brady has set the bar so far high for players competing into their 40s. But no one has done it but Brady. Favre was done at 40. Brees just retired as he turned 41 with a slew of injuries and of course Manning was done at 39. It is very doubtful Rodgers is going to be playing at a high level come 2023 and I think GB is pretty much betting on that which is why it was paramount they got him back for this season to compete and also let Love have another season to develop.

So much bad thinking in this post...smh

You're joking, right? Everyone knows and it's well accepted universally that the no FT clause that you casually pass off as "the only thing he asked for" was the Thor hammer TB12 used to force his way out. He knew it, RKK & BB knew it and fans knew it, at least the ones who thought about it for a second or two.

(In hindsight if BB made a mistake it was for not throwing more money at TB12 in 2019 in exchange for that no FT clause so that he could trade TB12 and get something back for him. That's the mistake BB made, but in his defense, he thought RKK would keep TB12 in the fold another year even if that's not what BB wanted.)

You don't see how AR came out ahead? You accurately state he had 3 years on his contract and he wanted out. Now he has 1 year on his contract to play for GB and another year under contract which gives the team that trades for him some comfort. What you're leaving out is that GB wanted him back badly or they wouldn't have offered him a 2 year extension that would have made him the highest paid QB in NFL history. He turned them down. Think about that for a minute. Loss for GB. GB ends up with 1 year of a guy they wanted to keep for 5 years. AR turned 3 years under contract into 1 year under contract just like TB12 did with his 1 year contract with the Pats in 2019. 1 & done. That's clearly a win for AR no matter what Florio thinks. Add to that the $11M AR gets to keep and a possible trade for Randall Cobb & AR is the clear winner in the end relative to his starting position of 3 years under contract.

A verbal agreement? Your understanding is wrong. AR and his agent are too smart to accept a verbal agreement for that. The language of his new agreement with GB is still being written. He's not signed anything yet. He won't be an UFA, you got that right, but don't for minute think he's going to accept a verbal commitment from Gutekunst. It will be written so that if he wants out, he's insured they will trade him and that he will have a say in his destination. Why would AR want to go to a mid tier team? Do you think it's possible or even likely that AR has already narrowed his choices down to a team or 2 who have, in return, shown mutual interest through AR's agent? Me, too.

But don't take my word for it, Schefter knows it to be true as well.

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1419763712861392900

They said that about Brady, too. AR earned MVP of the league in 2020 by making stars out of players like UDFA Robert Tonyan, UDFA Allen Lazard and 5th round pick Valdez-Scantling. There's been no drop in his play. He's 37 now and he'll be 38 next year when he's traded. He won't be 39 til the end of his first year with his new team. You view AR through negative colored glasses and that's fine but the guy plays the game at a championship level. He'd make 4 or 5 teams instant contenders, Denver being 1 and Tennessee being another.

Denver is his 1st choice according to Benjamin Allbright, a friend of AR's agent David Dunn, the lawyer/agent who represented Carson Palmer's "retirement" from a situation Palmer didn't want to be in.

View: https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1418732633438113798?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1418732633438113798%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthespun.com%2Fnfl%2Fnfc-north%2Fgreen-bay-packers%2Fnfl-insider-aaron-rodgers-wants-to-play-for-1-nfl-team

I can't help but wonder what AR would have done on a big market team with better coaches than he's had over his career.

The tag was Thors hammer? Lol. Bill was never going to tag Brady. The most he paid Brady in his entire career was $23 mil which was in 2019.

You are missing the biggest point of this whole comparison. Brady wanted to STAY. Bill did not even offer him even a 2 year deal. Bill is the one that forced Brady out. Brady did not want to go year to year. Tampa gave him a 2 year fully guaranteed deal. Bill offered nothing close to that for the Goat who just helped him win his 6th ring.

Rodgers wants out which is why he asked for his contract to be shortened. He is forcing his way out. The issue for him unlike Brady is he had 3 years on his contract.

We'll see about the language in the contract. GB may want to trade him to get the best haul assuming he plays well this year and then they will have their exact scenario. Rodgers for one more year, haul of draft picks, Love starting.

I would bet my house Rodgers has 2 high performing years left, maybe 3. He does not train like Brady and he has an injury history and his style of play is not conducive to longevity.

Kellerman was always right when he talked about the cliff. It hits right about age 39/40. Brady thus far has been the only exception.

Agreed with Chevvs point, Denver is the sure-fire target of Ridgers and Denver will be moving heaven and earth to make it happen as well in a years time. Rodgers is a Tier 1 QB and Chevss is right, he instantly would make every team better. If the Saints could have grabbed him he would be been ideal as a Brees replacement and would have been a sensation in that dome.

Agreed with Chevvs point, Denver is the sure-fire target of Ridgers and Denver will be moving heaven and earth to make it happen as well in a years time. Rodgers is a Tier 1 QB and Chevss is right, he instantly would make every team better. If the Saints could have grabbed him he would be been ideal as a Brees replacement and would have been a sensation in that dome.
Denver might be. That being said, that division is the toughest in football. So Rodgers will be leaving his cake division and weaker conference to go play Mahomes, Herbert and Carr twice while also contending with the Bills, Browns, Titans, Ravens, etc.

The tag was Thors hammer? Lol. Bill was never going to tag Brady. The most he paid Brady in his entire career was $23 mil which was in 2019.

You are missing the biggest point of this whole comparison. Brady wanted to STAY. Bill did not even offer him even a 2 year deal. Bill is the one that forced Brady out. Brady did not want to go year to year. Tampa gave him a 2 year fully guaranteed deal. Bill offered nothing close to that for the Goat who just helped him win his 6th ring.

Rodgers wants out which is why he asked for his contract to be shortened. He is forcing his way out. The issue for him unlike Brady is he had 3 years on his contract.

We'll see about the language in the contract. GB may want to trade him to get the best haul assuming he plays well this year and then they will have their exact scenario. Rodgers for one more year, haul of draft picks, Love starting.

I would bet my house Rodgers has 2 high performing years left, maybe 3. He does not train like Brady and he has an injury history and his style of play is not conducive to longevity.

Kellerman was always right when he talked about the cliff. It hits right about age 39/40. Brady thus far has been the only exception.

LOL. Your Brady colored glasses are in full effect. Brady didn't want to stay. He wanted out which is why he negotiated the no FT clause. There was no other reason for it.
Not having a FT told 31 teams that Brady was guaranteed to be up for grabs a year in advance.

I wouldn't be betting your house that Rodgers' playing days will be over at 40. AR is in good shape - he'll play as long as he wants to.

What ever will you do when another QB plays well beyond 40?

Denver is a perfect landing place for Rodgers - Great D, better OL than GB and much better receivers than GB. All Denver needs is a QB. Very similar to TB12's situation last year don't you think? Perfect for him.

There should be a lot of cases of 40 plus year olds playing QB in the future because the rules protecting the QB are so different.
I remember Joe Montana getting absolutely rag dolled by the Giants years ago, that was standard football even though you wonder if Montana had any unbroken bones left. Similar story for Drew Bledsoe.

Today's game is so different.

Chevs, Brady got paid LESS than the FT. Bill could have signed Brady for LESS than the FT. He could have matched Tampa. He did not offer Brady a multi-year deal going back in 2017 when Brady wanted one. Bill did not want him. That is what was clear to the rest of the league.

Rodgers was just league MVP with LaFleur with the #1 offense. Fangio is a defensive minded HC. He will leave his cake division and weaker conference to go up against Mahomes/Chiefs twice a year. I think what Rodgers is doing is probably the dumbest thing we have ever seen a legacy QB do. Perhaps it is something in the water in GB? Favre wasn't very bright either.

Last edited:
There should be a lot of cases of 40 plus year olds playing QB in the future because the rules protecting the QB are so different.
I remember Joe Montana getting absolutely rag dolled by the Giants years ago, that was standard football even though you wonder if Montana had any unbroken bones left. Similar story for Drew Bledsoe.

Today's game is so different.
A ton of Qbs have played to 40 and beyond - Testaverde, Moon, Deberg, Flutie, Brunell, Hasselbeck, Favre, etc. None have played at a championship level and been a starter into their 40s like Brady. That is the difference. Can another QB actually do what Brady has done in his 40s? He is 1:1.

Chevs, Brady got paid LESS than the FT. Bill could have signed Brady for LESS than the FT. He could have matched Tampa. He did not offer Brady a multi-year deal going back in 2017 when Brady wanted one. Bill did not want him. That is what was clear to the rest of the league.

Rodgers was just league MVP with LaFleur with the #1 offense.
Fangio is a defensive minded HC. He will leave his cake division and weaker conference to go up against Mahomes/Chiefs twice a year. I think what Rodgers is doing is probably the dumbest thing we have ever seen a legacy QB do. Perhaps it is something in the water in GB? Favre wasn't very bright either.

This is the first logical thing you've said over the course 3 posts. I agree BB didn't want him. Nevertheless the only way TB12 could guarantee himself a way to become a FA is to negotiate the FT. Do your know another way he could have guaranteed that for himself?

Rodgers earned the MVP. Rodgers likes LaFleur but he doesn't like the situation in GB. You think Rodgers is afraid of Mahomes or Josh Allen? No way. Rodgers thinks enough of himself that in the right situation for him no QB is a threat. Besides, he doesn't play against QBs. Dumb? You know what's dumb?? GB not giving him enough weapons last year to win it all was dumb. He's fed up. This isn't about money for AR. He wants a better situation.

Last edited:
This is the first logical thing you've said over the course 3 posts. I agree BB didn't want him. Nevertheless the only way TB12 could guarantee himself a way to become a FA is to negotiate the FT. Do your know another way he could have guaranteed that for himself?

Rodgers earned the MVP. Rodgers likes LaFleur but he doesn't like the situation in GB. You think Rodgers is afraid of Mahomes or Josh Allen? No way. Rodgers thinks enough of himself that in the right situation for him no QB is a threat. Besides, he doesn't play against QBs. Dumb? You know what's dumb?? GB not giving him enough weapons last year to win it all was dumb. He's fed up. This isn't about money for AR. He wants a better situation.
Bill could have denied his FT request. It was only a request and it was granted because Bill was never going to tag him. He was not even willing to pay him $25 mil a year for 2 years.

How can you possibly say Rodgers didn't have weapons when he won MVP and GB had the #1 offense?

I didn't say Rodgers was afraid of playing Mahomes. I said the situation is not nearly as favorable as staying with the Pack in that cake division and weaker conference with a HC who engineered his offense to help him be MVP at age 37.

Bill could have denied his FT request. It was only a request and it was granted because Bill was never going to tag him. He was not even willing to pay him $25 mil a year for 2 years.

How can you possibly say Rodgers didn't have weapons when he won MVP and GB had the #1 offense?

I didn't say Rodgers was afraid of playing Mahomes. I said the situation is not nearly as favorable as staying with the Pack in that cake division and weaker conference with a HC who engineered his offense to help him be MVP at age 37.

Wow. Have you not read anything regarding the TB12/Pats discord over the last year?

Bill could have denied his FT request

What? No he couldn't. TB12 wanted the no FT clause as a condition for signing the 2019 contract. He wanted a guarantee he would become FA.
But keep spinning it to fit your Brady can do no wrong narrative.

I posted this above at 6am. You must have chosen not to read this previous reply to you.
AR earned MVP of the league in 2020 by making stars out of UDFA Robert Tonyan, UDFA Allen Lazard and 5th round pick Valdez-Scantling.

I wonder what he could have done with real weapons like TB12's real weapons, don't you?

I said the situation is not nearly as favorable as staying with the Pack in that cake division and weaker conference with a HC who engineered his offense to help him be MVP at age 37.

Having a top 2 or 3 D, top 10 receiving corps and a competent OL is all he needs. Denver provides all that for him. LaFleur is pretty good but AR made it happen. And don't worry about AR, he will pick his next OC.

Chevs, tell me. Was Bill going to tag Brady for 2020?

Chevs, tell me. Was Bill going to tag Brady for 2020?

Mazz, tell me. What's the one and only way TB12 could GUARANTEE he wouldn't be franchise tagged for 2020. That's what matters.

Back