Report: Patriots moving on from Belichick per Tom Curran

I honestly wouldn’t mind keeping him as the HC. He definitely needs to be removed from the GM position, however. Since he probably won’t do that, then it’s time for a complete restart, with him departing the team as both GM and HC.

They discussed that too, and agreed it would be great. They also said no way Bill agrees to that

Why? If you're being honest with yourself, it's pretty difficult to not see this as a likely outcome. The only scenario I can see Bill staying is if he gave up GM duties and I doubt he would be willing to do this. He's still a great coach but there's no way to excuse his decisions over the last 4 years.
This is what I’d like to happen. Let someone else be GM.

When have you ever? Is there an example with Noll, Landry, etc?
I personally hate to be Kontradictory but I believe Chev is simply asking has the thought of Bill no longer relating come from the Players,.

BWI meant to congratulate on your stunningly apt selection of a handle.

Phil Perry never signed on to Curran's claim that a decision had been made to fire or move on from Belichick. I found that unusual in the sense that they are TV and podcast buddies who are seen together so often. Perry said "It would be right of them to ask if BB is the right guy to lead the team in 2024 and beyond" but that's as far as he'd go to support his buddy.

Now, according to PP, he is purposely separating himself further from Curran's report. There's a reason for him to go out of his way to do that.

I might believe it if Mike Reiss posted it but I'd still give him a call to verify his account wasn't hacked. (for the newbies here, yes, I have his phone number and, yes, he takes my calls and sometimes he calls me.)

The Patriots FO was reshuffled in late winter of '22 when Dave Zeigler followed Josh to the Raiders. The Krafts included themselves to have a part in that reorganization and gave their approval to final product. The hierarchy was changed as shown below. It appears to me that Belichick has already given up most of his GM duties.

Matt Groh - Director of player personnel. Groh enters his 12th season with the Patriots and his first in his current position. He started out as a scouting assistant and steadily moved up the ladder through the years — to area scout, national scout and eventually college scouting director. As DPP, Matt Groh works directly with Belichick and reports directly to Robert and Jonathan Kraft. It's right there on the official website: Official New England Patriots News and Analysis
Since he reports to the owners, other teams would give Matt Groh the title GM.
Eliot Wolf: Director of scouting. The Patriots created a new position for Wolf with a new title.
After working as a scouting consultant in 2020 and 2021, he is now the Director of scouting. Eliot has a prominent role in the front office acting as liason between Belichick, Matt Groh, Cargile and Williams.

Steve Cargile: Pro scouting director. Cargile is in his second year at the job. He first arrived in February 2011 as a scouting assistant and has filled several roles before receiving his latest promotion last offseason. Steve reports to Matt Groh and Eliot Wolf.

Camren Williams: College scouting director. A former area scout who was promoted to national scout in 2021, Williams moved up another position earlier this year. He is entering his seventh season with the team as its new college scouting czar. Camren reports to Matt Groh and Eliot Wolf.

Brian Smith: Personnel coordinator. After nine seasons as college scouting coordinator and two as the assistant director of college scouting, Smith was promoted to personnel coordinator last year. He originally joined the team back in 2000 and served several roles early on — from assisting the coaching staff, to organizing day-to-day logistics, to doing “special assignment” scouting. He is an executive assistant who works on special assignments for the personnel and coaching departments.
Phil Perry actually has integrity…pretty rare for ANY media.

Ok. You do think he's gone deaf, dumb and blind. Just admit it.

Now tell us who replaces BB to guarantee a better record for next year than BB could get.
Maybe he’s dumb on draft day. We are on a downward trend to the number one pick, it’s been years of that.
i think it’s his drafting that’s the cause. He hasn’t been able to admit that there are other people better at it.

we are 3-10.

Who can replace him? I don’t see us losing much on the defensive side if we keep Mayo. We can keep BoB.
Special teams needs an influx of better coaching. With improved gains on talent they should become a better team.

I personally hate to be Kontradictory but I believe Chev is simply asking has the thought of Bill no longer relating come from the Players,.

BWI meant to congratulate on your stunningly apt selection of a handle.
The thought came from the quote of him only wanting to coach players he likes. Thanks for the props. I came up with it when I was like 20 years old. I’m 37 now and too lazy to think of something else.

The thought came from the quote of him only wanting to coach players he likes. Thanks for the props. I came up with it when I was like 20 years old. I’m 37 now and too lazy to think of something else.
I should follow this up - which player would be stupid enough to actually say that about a living legend?

When have you ever? Is there an example with Noll, Landry, etc?

You're right, criticism of BB by an active player wouldn't be a good idea. A few former players have been critical the last few months. Jonas Gray most recently on a 6 Rings podcast.

View: https://twitter.com/6RingsPod/status/1735368419350864138

So I'll turn it around. The Patriots continue to play hard and are actually heard sticking up for Belichick. See Jabrill Peppers. I happen to live in a neighborhood along with
several Patriots players. Every one of them say the players in the locker room support and believe in Bill Belichick. They are dumbfounded by the media talk about him being fired.
They joke about it like, sure, that's happening, and then laugh. Could it happen? I'd have to yes, it could happen. I'd much rather he continue to coach and let loose more than he already has of the GM aspect.

Phil Perry never signed on to Curran's claim that a decision had been made to fire or move on from Belichick. I found that unusual in the sense that they are TV and podcast buddies who are seen together so often. Perry said "It would be right of them to ask if BB is the right guy to lead the team in 2024 and beyond" but that's as far as he'd go to support his buddy.

Now, according to PP, he is purposely separating himself further from Curran's report. There's a reason for him to go out of his way to do that.

Your whole post was excellent and informative, thanks.

I will comment that while we seem to have some capable guys in personnel and scouting, I suppose the breaking point for his sticking
around another year might be RKK insisting that he give up final say in the Draft. I think he listens to opinions and weighs everything, but
the buck stops at his desk and I have my doubts that he would be willing to cede that control at this stage of his career. That power is
likely part of his contract that runs through next season and I seriously doubt he would allow it. Deal breaker. He's not going to
take the knee over final say.

As far as Perry goes, if Curran gets himself booted from Quick Slants for rocking the boat then Perry would be the
logical successor as his current co-host. There is also the possibility that Perry is a man of integrity and feels Tom has simply gone
rogue and he'll stand on his own two feet. I don't mean to suggest it's just about getting Quick Slants for himself.

On a semi-related note, that show was at it's best when Jerod Mayo was on it. That helped shape my opinion that Jerod is
an unusually bright, articulate and personable guy. If it turns out that Bill is really out and Mayo is in, then I think there is a chance
that he could be an outstanding leader and the right guy to take the reins, but I'd prefer that he wait a while longer and Bill
keeps his job for 2024.

This is what I’d like to happen. Let someone else be GM.
Agreed, but as many have pointed out, it's unlikely that Bill will allow that. I don't think Kraft is willing to allow Bill to make draft decisions this season with a top three pick and you can't blame him at this point. There's just too much riding on it and I can already see Bill trading out multiple times to end up picking som 2nd string safety from a division 3 school.lol

I haven't jumped into this conversation because I realize that some here are entitiled, what have you done for me lately, fans.
They have a simplistic view that the dynasty was all TFB. That is insulting to all the great players and coaches that we have had here throughout that great run.
Also, they don't remember it was BB who kept TFB as the 4th QB on the 2000 roster. They forget that it was BB who kept TFB over Drew Bledsoe even though Bob Kraft referred to Drew as another son.
We all agree that BB has not had his best year. I'll bet that BB is the most surprised and dismayed by this.
But the spoiled and entitled fans are now screaming off with his head and there is no sense reasoning with them.
Wait. Are you trying to say that TFB didn't develop Light, Mankins, Thuney, Mason, Koppen, Andrews, Neal, Solder, Gronk, Graham, Watson, Branch, Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Hightower, Mayo, McCourty and Slater? Or draft promising players like Dugger, Uche, Onwenu, Gonzalez or Barmore?

I suppose you'll try to tell me that TFB didn't develop the gameplan that held the Rams to three points in the recent Super Bowl!

I suppose TFB didn't sign all those Free Agents, either!

And , let me guess, you'll claim that TFB didn't coach up Butler to make that pick, based on scouting Seahawks tendencies in that season!

Ian Rappoport is saying that his info is nothing has been decided on BB. Curran of course is not happy with Ian.

Wait. Are you trying to say that TFB didn't develop Light, Mankins, Thuney, Mason, Koppen, Andrews, Neal, Solder, Gronk, Graham, Watson, Branch, Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Hightower, Mayo, McCourty and Slater? Or draft promising players like Dugger, Uche, Onwenu, Gonzalez or Barmore?

I suppose you'll try to tell me that TFB didn't develop the gameplan that held the Rams to three points in the recent Super Bowl!

I suppose TFB didn't sign all those Free Agents, either!

And , let me guess, you'll claim that TFB didn't coach up Butler to make that pick, based on scouting Seahawks tendencies in that season!
I hate to give more bad news, but TFB did not build Gillette Stadium.

Back