Revis says his body is breaking down

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
BILL BELICHICK APPEARS TO HAVE MADE RIGHT DECISION WITH DARRELLE REVIS: ‘MY BODY’S BREAKING DOWN’

After the Patriots won Super Bowl XLIX, many thought the key was having cornerback Darrelle Revis on the roster as the team lacked a dominant cornerback for many seasons.

New England made him a contract offer after the year, but a small offer at that, as Revis signed a five-year, $70 million deal with the Jets.

Some were critical of Bill Belichick and the Patriots at the time, but now almost two years later, the decision not to re-sign him is looking good.

“My body’s breaking down,” Revis told Newsday on Thursday.

Revis added: “Yeah, I am. I mean, not in a bad way. I can still play. It’s just, I’m breaking down. I’m 31. How many corners are 31 right now in the league? The league’s getting younger. I know [Vikings cornerback Terence] Newman’s still playing [at 38], which is impressive. But I don’t know how he’s doing it.”

The cornerback is no longer considered one of the best in the league as he no longer is left by himself on “Revis Island.” Many receivers have had strong games against him this year, very uncharacteristic going against Revis.

“I’m not thinking about retirement at this moment,” said Revis, who is 31 years old. “I’ve just got to continue to take care of my body. Some of the past injuries, they linger. They linger.”

So while at the time it didn’t seem like the best decision, Belichick not making a big effort to bring Revis back is looking better and better each day.

For more Patriots news, visit weei.com/patriots.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...n-with-darrelle-revis-my-bodys-breaking-down/

It's been renamed the Revis Arcade.

Cheers

He came to us and helped us get that championship and he got himself a ring that he would never have gotten with the Jets. We were saved paying him a fortune in the off season thus screwing our cap and he got himself an incredible bumper pay day with guaranteed money.

Best of luck to him, he played the system and he won and in a rare circumstance, he got the better of one of the NFL owners. His career is undoubtedly coming to and end but in his prime he was an incredible CB and he can walk away from the game happy. And rich.

He came to us and helped us get that championship and he got himself a ring that he would never have gotten with the Jets. We were saved paying him a fortune in the off season thus screwing our cap and he got himself an incredible bumper pay day with guaranteed money.

Best of luck to him, he played the system and he won and in a rare circumstance, he got the better of one of the NFL owners. His career is undoubtedly coming to and end but in his prime he was an incredible CB and he can walk away from the game happy. And rich.

Certainly not in the moment, but in retrospect? You could certainly see signs of slippage when he was here, especially as the season went on.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

“I’m not thinking about retirement at this moment,” said Revis, who is 31 years old.

Lol. Of course he's not. He's got three more years left on his contract after this one. ROFL

Certainly not in the moment, but in retrospect? You could certainly see signs of slippage when he was here, especially as the season went on.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Lol. Of course he's not. He's got three more years left on his contract after this one. ROFL

There were definite signs for sure. In the SB, the Baldwin TD in the SB though I was some sympathy as he was picked by one of the Zebras. The Packer game he was shown up as well. He definitely was not the Revis Island when here that we saw in previous years.

And that makes the Jets even bigger fools, they ignored these signs of decline and still went all out to beat the Patriots to sign him on massive money.

There were definite signs for sure. In the SB, the Baldwin TD in the SB though I was some sympathy as he was picked by one of the Zebras. The Packer game he was shown up as well. He definitely was not the Revis Island when here that we saw in previous years.

And that makes the Jets even bigger fools, they ignored these signs of decline and still went all out to beat the Patriots to sign him of massive money.

Same ol' Jets. ROFL

He was hot garbage in the Ravens playoff game. If not for Brady's historic comeback and Bill's formation plays he would have been the goat of that game.

He helped get the Pats a ring...he did his job.

Yes he did. But he was always in it for the money and the Pats year was simply the shortest route to the most money. I'm grateful he helped and happy he got his ring. But when talking about the great Patriots run 20 years from now, I doubt he even gets a mention.

Cheers, BostonTim

I think I said it before in an another thread. Revis today and Revis the Patriot aren't that different at all. Revis was nowhere near prime shape when he was here. Bill got the best out of him and literally put him in position to win. And paid as little as possible when Revis still commanded top $.

He would put him on #2's and completely take out a wr or the #1 with help. Bigger guys or guys with long speed.

Revis is a top 5 cb imo of all time but he always had help over the top. In 2009 he played Moss 77 snaps. Only 7 were true, legit man to man. Rex always would shade and give him deep help.

Again hes a HOF but the hype was a lil much there for a bit.

I wonder if Sherman will end up a better CB in the long run. I think he could well be. Peterson could end up better as well.

Yes he did. But he was always in it for the money and the Pats year was simply the shortest route to the most money. I'm grateful he helped and happy he got his ring. But when talking about the great Patriots run 20 years from now, I doubt he even gets a mention.

Cheers, BostonTim

And he talked crap about DG after he left. Sent his mom to get his ring. Of all the Pats that have won a ring he is by far the least I will remember with fond memories. I am glad he is killing the Jets cap and has no plans of retiring. I can't think of a player and team that deserve each other more.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

I wonder if Sherman will end up a better CB in the long run. I think he could well be. Peterson could end up better as well.

Sherman is already declining IMO. He is not the same CB he was a few years ago.

And he talked crap about DG after he left. Sent his mom to get his ring. Of all the Pats that have won a ring he is by far the least I will remember with fond memories. I am glad he is killing the Jets cap and has no plans of retiring. I can't think of a player and team that deserve each other more.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Sherman is already declining IMO. He is not the same CB he was a few years ago.

It all happens so fast. Making the Brady store all the more inconceivable.

Cheers

It all happens so fast. Making the Brady store all the more inconceivable.

Cheers

It can happen fast. I think for CB it is the most athletic position on the field so those guys generally don't stay great past their early 30's. To be honest, I am surprised at Revis' decline happening so soon. I really thought he would be like Ty Law and Champ Bailey and play well into his 30s at a high level. It does make you question to some extent his training. Brady has often said that he has to train different at age 39 then he did in his 20's. He has to work harder and be more efficient with his sleep, his diet. I never got the sense Revis was a hard worker but more relied on his skill kind of like Aaron Rodgers. I could be wrong and maybe the wheels did just come off due to age but he has let his body go the last couple of years and gained weight so the desire seems to not be there. At least not to a Brady level for sure.

It can happen fast. I think for CB it is the most athletic position on the field so those guys generally don't stay great past their early 30's. To be honest, I am surprised at Revis' decline happening so soon. I really thought he would be like Ty Law and Champ Bailey and play well into his 30s at a high level. It does make you question to some extent his training. Brady has often said that he has to train different at age 39 then he did in his 20's. He has to work harder and be more efficient with his sleep, his diet. I never got the sense Revis was a hard worker but more relied on his skill kind of like Aaron Rodgers. I could be wrong and maybe the wheels did just come off due to age but he has let his body go the last couple of years and gained weight so the desire seems to not be there. At least not to a Brady level for sure.

In addition to his knee and hammy issues, Revis got fat below the waist. His fatter thighs were obvious even when he was here. His body changed and it seems he has done little to fight the change. I was one who didn't want him back for a 2nd year bc it was evident to me he was fully into his middle age spread when he was here and that's hard to counter. Good riddance I say and I'm glad he's back with the Jests.

Back