Rich Men North Of Richmond

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
I just had to share this....yeah, it's gone viral, because it captures the spirit of our age perfectly.

View: https://twitter.com/MadPunty/status/1690031704335929346
I've been selling my soul
Working all day
Overtime hours
For bullshit pay

So I can sit out here and waste my life away
Drag back home and drown my troubles away

It's a damn shame
What the world's gotten to
For people like me and people like you
Wish I could just wake up and it not be true
But it is, oh, it is

Living in the new world
With an old soul
These rich men north of Richmond
Lord knows they all just want to have total control
Wanna know what you think
Wanna know what you do
And they don't think you know, but I know that you do
Cause your dollar ain't shit, and it's taxed to no end
'Cause of rich men north of Richmond

I wish politicians would look out for miners
And not just minors on an island somewhere
Lord, we got folks in the street, ain't got nothing to eat
And the obese milking welfare
Well God, if you're 5 foot 3 and you're 300 pounds
Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds
Young men are putting themselves six feet in the ground
'Cause all this damn country does is keep on kicking them down

Lord, it's a damn shame
What the world's gotten to
For people like me and people like you
Wish I could just wake up and it not be true
But it is, oh, it is
Living in the new world
With an old soul
These rich men north of Richmond
Lord knows they all just want to have total control
Wanna know what you think
Wanna know what you do
And they don't think you know, but I know that you do
'Cause your dollar ain't shit, and it's taxed to no end
'Cause of rich men north of Richmond

I've been selling my soul
Working all day
Overtime hours
For bullshit pay

Last edited:
That is an interesting take.

I'm most fortunate to have a fairly wide range of friends on the political spectrum. I know this may surprise some a few. Yesterday, after listening to this song here I went to Apple Music and forwarded the link to the group chat I'm in with the widest circle. The circle contains friends from church, the hockey coaching community, our former gold club (covid killed it), Dad's clubs of our kids high schools, and some other folks that have entered through friendships. It has grown over the years as people add others. The folks that I'm friends with on the left perceived it to be an anti-right song (Rich men) and the folks on the right the opposite. Although I will admit the folks on the right did seem to comment more.

So, why is your take "interesting"? Because our own perspective is often the greatest influence on how we "take" things.

I am not a country music fan in general. I am exposed to it regularly on the boat and sometimes while golfing so I am aware of what is current. Still prefer "my" music (CSN&Y, Rush, VH, yacht rock, etc.). Country music has veered left here in the states from what I can see. Is there a portion still hard right? Yes, but it is shrinking. That this guy has sky rocketed to #1 and 3 songs in the top 10 means that he has fans on the left too. I have no data for that opinion other than what I experience. I could be wrong.
Did Roberto71 delete his post? I'm glad he did, if he did.
I find that music lyrics can be interpreted in many ways. I'm really not a fan of all of the music of any one artist, just individual songs.
If I limited my music listening to only those artist that I argreed with politically, I wouldn't listen to many songs at all.

I find that music lyrics can be interpreted in many ways. I'm really not a fan of all of the music of any one artist, just individual songs.
If I limited my music listening to only those artist that I argreed with politically, I wouldn't listen to many songs at all.
100%.

I REALLY would like to move this back to the song and away from politics. That is what I tried to do with my post. I am going to delete mine too.

100%.

I REALLY would like to move this back to the song and away from politics. That is what I tried to do with my post. I am going to delete mine too.
Unfortunately much of what we say, do or even listen to is viewed by others though the lens of politics. Much of that has been created by those in power. To quote the late Mahatma Gandhi "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

I did delete it. I have no interest in getting into politics, as I said before, and there is a reason this song is getting the right wing in an excited frenzy; the lyrics aren't subtle. I deleted the post as it would have resulted in the usual tedious exchange of views.

I did delete it. I have no interest in getting into politics, as I said before, and there is a reason this song is getting the right wing in an excited frenzy; the lyrics aren't subtle. I deleted the post as it would have resulted in the usual tedious exchange of views.
But yet you still mention getting the "right wing" into an excited frenzy.
I'm looking at the lyrics and see more of what an average working person may feel.

I considered before posting here in the main forum, but I decided to for a couple of reasons;

1) At the end of the day, music is music, and meant for everyone.

2) I see this song more as "giving voice to our age"....not so much left or right politically....but tapping into a well of discontent and frustration that exists in all working class.

I see Roberto 71 mentioned in his delerted post CSN&Y.

I love that music, I love Neil Young. I don't care about his politics of today.....or whatever. Neil Young's "4 Dead in Ohio" is one of my all timers....a very political song.....but as time goes by, events come annd go...the music is forever....and the music is what eventually enshrines the spirit of the age forever.....nobody under 50 today can really understand the zeitgeist of the late 60's and early 70's......but the music is there...and carries that message to them, if they want to hear it.

I believe this is one of those songs. I believe it transcends today's current events and politics. I believe this song catches the spirit of our age.

Republic or Democrat or Libertarian or whatever....we all have to live with paying more for groceries, feeling like our paycheck is being stretched...etc.

EDIT: I have no objection to Mods moving this to the P&R forum, if they deem it appropriate.

There were a lot of protest songs in the mid 60's to early 70's. Many in my crowd disagreed with the lyrics, when we could understand them, but liked the song.
As a Vietnam Vet one of of my favorite songs for many years was Fortunate Son by CCR. Wasn't suppose to like it, but bought the album and cranked the volume up every time it was played on the radio.

I considered before posting here in the main forum, but I decided to for a couple of reasons;
1) At the end of the day, music is music, and meant for everyone.

2) I see this song more as "giving voice to our age"....not so much left or right politically....but tapping into a well of discontent and frustration that exists in all working class.

I see Roberto 71 mentioned in his delerted post CSN&Y.

I love that music, I love Neil Young. I don't care about his politics of today.....or whatever. Neil Young's "4 Dead in Ohio" is one of my all timers....a very political song.....but as time goes by, events come annd go...the music is forever....and the music is what eventually enshrines the spirit of the age forever.....nobody under 50 today can really understand the zeitgeist of the late 60's and early 70's......but the music is there...and carries that message to them, if they want to hear it.

I believe this is one of those songs. I believe it transcends today's current events and politics. I believe this song catches the spirit of our age.

Republic or Democrat or Libertarian or whatever....we all have to live with paying more for groceries, feeling like our paycheck is being stretched...etc.

EDIT: I have no objection to Mods moving this to the P&R forum, if they deem it appropriate.

That was me. And I agree with your premise that the song (Rich Men...) hits from all sides. That is what I tried to say in my, since deleted, post.

As some of you may know, I grew up in a single parent household in section 8 housing in Lowell. I am still friends with some of the other kids that grew up there. Trust me when I tell you, they identify with the song (more from the union left) as much as you may think I do from the right. A few have made in clear on other platforms.

In the age of Sam Smith, Kadi B, and the Kardashians there’s definitely a yearning for something with soul. This guy does have soul.
Without trying to get political I’ll say this.
In America a man who goes to work everyday and does most things right should be able to provide for a wife and family without a college degree. It sure seems the system is against that, and it’s hurting society.

In the age of Sam Smith, Kadi B, and the Kardashians there’s definitely a yearning for something with soul. This guy does have soul.
Without trying to get political I’ll say this.
In America a man who goes to work everyday and does most things right should be able to provide for a wife and family without a college degree. It sure seems the system is against that, and it’s hurting society.
i worked with blue collar trade school guys(who i ❤ ). they can earn great livings,but spouse still usually has to work or wants to. mostly because we want more than we used to and prices outstrip earnings. oh,and someone has to pay for kidlets to go to college...😄

I don't know WTF this even is. All I do know is that my Facebook feed is now littered with it and it's mildly annoying. 😂

I don't think this is right wing or left, he's actually come out and said he's not political. The sad part is the ultra left and right will both try and weaponize it for their own agenda wich is exactly what the rich men north of Richmond want, keep the working classes on both side blaming and attacking each other. This song speaks to everyone, left, right, black, white, gay or straight, anyone that's busting their ass to build a life while those in the top five percent keep rigging the game to take more for themselves while keeping the rest of us blaming each other instead of realizing that neither party represents the working class average American.

I don't know WTF this even is. All I do know is that my Facebook feed is now littered with it and it's mildly annoying. 😂
Serves you right for having a Facebook feed. :lol:
I got rid of FB and other social media over a year ago. Best thing that I've done. I have some family and a friend members who say " I messaged you on FB". I ask them if they lost my phone #, because you can either call or text if you really want to get ahold of me.
I've never heard the song, just read the lyrics. If the left wing or right wing thinks that those lyrics favor one or the other, that just proves how much they are out of touch with the average working American.

Last edited:
Back