Robert Kraft on WEEI

All I can say is that the football gods were smiling down on us when Bob Kraft bought the team. Not only did he save it from moving but has become a great owner.

I'm not forgetting the Pete Carroll/Bobby Grier years. But Kraft was smart and humble enough to see his own mistakes and corrrect them. An owner who saw arrogant would keep on making the same mistakes, as many have.

MEPATNUT on 05-31-2007 at 04:25 PM said:
All I can say is that the football gods were smiling down on us when Bob Kraft bought the team. Not only did he save it from moving but has become a great owner.
Amen , brother!

Re: Re: Robert Kraft on WEEI

Patriots44 on 05-31-2007 at 04:07 PM said:
What did he say? I couldn't listen (damn job!) :p
courtesy of mtbykr

I missed the beggining, but here's what i remember:

-Thinks Moss is a compeitor that wants to win

-BB and Pioli have a track record so you can trust them

-Moss isn't the same person as he used to be...he wants to come here and comform to the patriot way and win (believes he was already that way)

-It's encouraging to see how the pats have changed throughout the years and now top flight players want to come here to play

-AD should have had a franchise tag, but becuase of the salary cap of the ravens the pats could get him....the pats really stole him becuase they should not have been able to get him without giving anything up. (really exited)

-Wished games were starting now, looking forward to the season

-Wished they were still playing in china (wanted to be the first team to play there) and help make the pats a "global brand"

-Spent time with Goodell yesterday. Thinks the NFL doesn't have a major problem, but becuase of the populairity of the league every little things gets a lot of press

-Doesn't want the superbowl held outside the USA...but realizes it may come to that and would prefer Europe over Asia if it happens

-they like to stir the pot and like action so they wanted to see what they can do with the extra space...it's a challenge (about the new patriots place project)

-Myra's a great cook

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=56249

The only part of it I got to hear was Holley macking on Kraft's shirt. Presumably he was talking about Kraft's trademark blue dress shirts with the white collar.

For the record, Kraft gets them from a special tailor in London.

I'd bet they are at least 150 bucks apiece, but they still look kind of dated. I used to be styling in the same kind of thing with my Levi's action suit, but that was in 1977 or so and I have the pics to prove it.

"Wished they were still playing in china (wanted to be the first team to play there) and help make the pats a "global brand" "

Don't get me wrong, because I love the guy, but I just once wish Kraft would say a complete sentence without using the word "brand". He says it all the time.

I know it's his business and all, but it somehow cheapens the image he is trying to project in my eyes. Maybe it's me, but I don't think of the Pats as a product, but as my team. My boys. There is a huge difference between them and Ford or Sony or something and I wish Kraft would give the brand stuff a rest once in a while.

Hawg73 on 05-31-2007 at 04:45 PM said:
"Wished they were still playing in china (wanted to be the first team to play there) and help make the pats a "global brand" "

Don't get me wrong, because I love the guy, but I just once wish Kraft would say a complete sentence without using the word "brand". He says it all the time.

I know it's his business and all, but it somehow cheapens the image he is trying to project in my eyes. Maybe it's me, but I don't think of the Pats as a product, but as my team. My boys. There is a huge difference between them and Ford or Sony or something and I wish Kraft would give the brand stuff a rest once in a while.
I know what you mean Hawgie -- his son Jonathan says the same thing all the time as well (he went to Harvard Business School you know)

look at it this way -- BK has to go talk to some real schmoe slugs at the League Meetings like Ralph Wilson, Arthur (Don't Let The Dogs Out) Blank and Bill (Have You Sold A) Ford (Lately) who need all the business help they can get running a NFL franchise

RoadGrader on 05-31-2007 at 04:54 PM said:
I know what you mean Hawgie -- his son Jonathan says the same thing all the time as well (he went to Harvard Business School you know)

look at it this way -- BK has to go talk to some real schmoe slugs at the League Meetings like Ralph Wilson, Arthur (Don't Let The Dogs Out) Blank and Bill (Have You Sold A) Ford (Lately) who need all the business help they can get running a NFL franchise

Hmm I listened to the Bob Kraft interview and I don't really remember him talking about "brands" that much, Mr. Anal Beads.

It was interesting but I don't think he's the best in an interview; he takes a long time to respond to questions. I guess it's better than sounding like an ijit though.

It was a good interview with no commercials. Aside from what was already mentioned, they also cracked on "The Hoodie", talked about Patriot Place and the types of businesses that will be there, and talked about football in Israel and a little about Kraft's relationship with team owners of other ares teams.

Sir Otilc on 05-31-2007 at 06:26 PM said:
Sounds like a good interview.

Did they have the nuts to ask about the Bob Kraft guy on the whiner line?

(I hope they did, but it sounds like they didn't.)

I've heard the Big Show mention on another occasion that Bob knows about the impersonator and even gets a kick out of it.

Hawg73 on 05-31-2007 at 04:45 PM said:

Actually, it's a quality that allows the Patriots to make the tough decisions that other brands, er teams, fail to make. By keeping a business perspective on things, they are able to let a player like Branch go rather than overpay due to the whole "team" loyality thing. Yet BB is able to take the brand given him at training camp each year and mold it into a team, which immediately becomes a brnd again at the end of the season. ramble, ramble, etc. I think you get my point.

Back