SB stuff

By far the best song about the SB that's come out this year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ufU17hSCS9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was listening to ESPN on the way home and they had Lomas Brown on. Not surprisingly Brown picks the Giants to win, but he added that he can see this game "getting out of hand" for the Pats.

Where is this stuff coming from? What game this season got out of hand for the Pats?

I am really at a loss listening to this.

Are Pats fans THAT delusional that we can't see what these supposed experts are seeing?

That is a rhetorical question, I don't believe that at all. I don't see any evidence to support the "Giants dynamo" that the experts are seeing.

I think it's wishful thinking. After all, if NE is on the cusp of another Dynasty, how can anyone really believe videotaping opponents had anything to do with the first one?

I think it's a conglomeration of a lot of things.
- The national media (as usual) picks up on their season stories around week 10 and stick to them. As a result, the Pat's d hasn't been closely studied at all. They saw all the yards they were giving up, saw the Colts put up 21 in the 4th quarter and made their final judgement on the Pats D... they are horrible. end of story. Funny enough, had GB made it to the superbowl there would be no talk of their WORSE defense. That leads me to
-The Giants beat GB. The Pack has been the national media darling for the past 2 seasons so beating them, at Lambeau, in the playoffs makes the Giants unstoppable
-Before the season, the 2 "teams to beat" were Green Bay and New Orleans. As the season progressed, San Francisco entered the fray. I think, heading into the playoffs, if we ranked everyone 1-12 (BCS style), the Pats would have been #5 behind those 3 and Pittsburgh. Again, the Giants eliminating 2 of those teams makes them unstoppable.
-"The Patriots didn't beat anyone with a winning record" Somehow the fact that we beat 7 teams that finished 8-8 and that a few teams were above .500 when the Pats beat them gets overlooked. they just got lucky all year playing Orlovsky, and Palko, and Vince Young...

It is mind boggling how the team is getting no respect for what they've done by the national media. For some reason, they not only "punish" the D for their performance but they also "punish" the O for playing the Orlovsky's and Palko's and Tebow's of the world

I was listening to ESPN on the way home and they had Lomas Brown on. Not surprisingly Brown picks the Giants to win, but he added that he can see this game "getting out of hand" for the Pats.

Where is this stuff coming from? What game this season got out of hand for the Pats?

I am really at a loss listening to this.

Are Pats fans THAT delusional that we can't see what these supposed experts are seeing?

That is a rhetorical question, I don't believe that at all. I don't see any evidence to support the "Giants dynamo" that the experts are seeing.

Not the only time I've heard anyone imply a blowout or anything against NE. 35-14 NYG is what I've heard, and I've even heard a 10 point lead at the end.

I think the game comes down to an FG or is decided by just 7, but the game won't "get out of hand" for any team.

People are making a big deal about Gronkowski's injury and are making the NYG defense to be supreme to our Pats D. IMO, Eli Manning will not "torch", "light up", "destroy", "carve up", "pick apart", or anything like that to our defense. They will play disciplined, physical football and play to win. That does not mean they won't give up points and they will probably give up lots of yards, but I am fairly more confident in our defense/secondary than in NYG's. If they're not already, if they didn't have an assortment of great talent on the DL and OLB position they'd be far worse than NE's. In fact, lots of people forget that in the week 9 game, NE scored a late touchdown against the Giants after a solid defensive game for them, similarly to "that game" in 2008. TB also had an elbow injury through this period.

I think this team is sick of losing to the Giants, and hopefully they're done. Because I'm definitely sick of hearing them.

I'd expect the Pats to play more nickel and dime this time. Week 9, Eli was 3-of-9 for 24 yards against 5 and 6 DBs per FO's game-charting.

Adam Schefter <s>@</s>AdamSchefter Barring a setback in practice this week, Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski will play in Super Bowl XLVI. Expected to be limited at practice today.

Not the only time I've heard anyone imply a blowout or anything against NE. 35-14 NYG is what I've heard, and I've even heard a 10 point lead at the end.

I think the game comes down to an FG or is decided by just 7, but the game won't "get out of hand" for any team.

People are making a big deal about Gronkowski's injury and are making the NYG defense to be supreme to our Pats D. IMO, Eli Manning will not "torch", "light up", "destroy", "carve up", "pick apart", or anything like that to our defense. They will play disciplined, physical football and play to win. That does not mean they won't give up points and they will probably give up lots of yards, but I am fairly more confident in our defense/secondary than in NYG's. If they're not already, if they didn't have an assortment of great talent on the DL and OLB position they'd be far worse than NE's. In fact, lots of people forget that in the week 9 game, NE scored a late touchdown against the Giants after a solid defensive game for them, similarly to "that game" in 2008. TB also had an elbow injury through this period.

I think this team is sick of losing to the Giants, and hopefully they're done. Because I'm definitely sick of hearing them.

So far, the only person I've heard picking the Pats in a blowout is Jay Mohr on WEEI this morning. I think he's only the second or third person AT ALL that I've heard pick the Pats.

Good news to hear from Schefter, Gronk plays, even if he doesn't have a monster game now that Vollmer is returning to the line, we can get some good 3 TE looks for the run game, but may come in handy for goal line situations and would love to see Solder do a Vrabel.

It is weird that the line still favors the Pats but everyone on TV is picking the Giants. Other than the vegas line, the disrespect reminds me of the good old days.

Some other thoughts/questions:

1) If we win the coin toss, do we defer, like usual and have our defense tested right away, or do we receive the ball? I suspect we will defer, but I wonder if that is the best strategy in this game.
2) Do we come out in a hurry up offense right away, or do we play straight up and try to establish a running game first? Emotions are always very high at the beginning of these games until teams settle down, so I wonder I think we don't show the hurry up right away, but maybe switch to it mid-first drive if we catch the Giants with a defense grouping we can exploit.
3) If Gronk doesn't play or doesn't play effectively, do we keep him in as a decoy or go to a more traditional 1 TE set?
4) Defensively, do we dare the Giants to run and play extra DB packages?
5) Do we blitz or just rush with 3 or 4, depending on the set?

I don't see this a blowout by the Giants. More than likely it will be a close game.

You guys are all so right. I try hard not to feel any "OMG EVERYONE HATES THE PATS" around every corner but even Greenberg was talking this am about how absolutely no one he's heard talk about this game thinks the Pats have a chance to win. When the media notices it, it's hard to say we Pats fans are feeling conspiracies against our team.

One interesting stat I saw today was that though the NYG have a bunch of sacks, they are THE WORST TEAM IN THE NFL getting sacks against 2 TE sets.

It is weird that the line still favors the Pats but everyone on TV is picking the Giants. Other than the vegas line, the disrespect reminds me of the good old days.

1) If we win the coin toss, do we defer, like usual and have our defense tested right away, or do we receive the ball? I suspect we will defer, but I wonder if that is the best strategy in this game.
2) Do we come out in a hurry up offense right away, or do we play straight up and try to establish a running game first? Emotions are always very high at the beginning of these games until teams settle down, so I wonder I think we don't show the hurry up right away, but maybe switch to it mid-first drive if we catch the Giants with a defense grouping we can exploit.
3) If Gronk doesn't play or doesn't play effectively, do we keep him in as a decoy or go to a more traditional 1 TE set?

I don't see this a blowout by the Giants. More than likely it will be a close game.

Even before reading HSanders' comment, I was thinking that the team is going to go 2TE most of the way through, be it Gronk/Hernandez or Solder/Hernandez with Vollmer at RT.

You guys are all so right. I try hard not to feel any "OMG EVERYONE HATES THE PATS" around every corner but even Greenberg was talking this am about how absolutely no one he's heard talk about this game thinks the Pats have a chance to win. When the media notices it, it's hard to say we Pats fans are feeling conspiracies against our team.

One interesting stat I saw today was that though the NYG have a bunch of sacks, they are THE WORST TEAM IN THE NFL getting sacks against 2 TE sets.

{Pretend I posted on of those O RLY? owls}

Good questions, grog. I'll put my opinions in red.

BB wants the ball to end the half and to begin the 2nd half. Defer,
If BB comes out throwing, it tells me he has a lot of confidence in our OL and TFB to win this game handily. I suspect your comment is right since teams normally come out 'tight'.
$64,000 question. But Gronk will play and he will be effective.
Eli beats us before Bradshaw and Jacobs do. Plus, Eli was 3/9 against us in week 9 when we played nickel and dime.
I think it depends on how our DL does straight up. BB will blitz if it's needed, especially inside the 35 to get them out of FG range.

I think this will be a very high scoring game.

LIVE streaming for Super Bowl XLVI will be available across the Verizon Network. Call **635 and download it now.

I forgot...BB ALMOST slipped and called Patricia the DC this am...then corrected himself.

Joe Montana speaks about Brady

oe Montana made the rounds on Super Bowl XLVI’s Radio Row today, doing promotional work for Volkswagen. And for a few minutes earlier, he stopped to chat with me about Patriots QB Tom Brady. With one more win, Brady will break the 49ers legend’s playoff wins record and will match his four Super Bowl rings. I wanted to talk about. But first, I wondered, what does Montana think about Brady’s game? What does he like?
I just think his ability, getting the ball out of his hand, making quick decisions, he’s the kind of guy that takes what you give him,” Montana told me today. “And that’s how you last in this league. You can’t try to make things up or make things happen until you get to a time where that’s a necessity. But in most cases, you don’t have to do that. That’s what he does the best. He’s going to find a weakness and that’s why… the key for the Giants is you gotta make him move. You can’t let him stay in there, he’ll kill you.”

As for the records… Montana downplayed that. He rarely had records, he said, and he was even amazed that Saints QB Drew Brees broke Dolphins QB Dan Marino’s yardage record. Still…
They’re all there for a reason,” Montana continued. “And everything’ll be broken. I’m not sure about Jerry (Rice’s) touchdowns, but the way it’s getting, it might.
Montana, by the way, is here for Volkswagen. Along with Rolling Stone, they are recreating “The Catch” for eight fans in front of a crowd (it’s the 30th Anniversary), and one fan will get the chance to actually watch the game with Joe. Kinda cool. Tickets are available at rollingstonerockweekend.com.
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...ts-qb-tom-brady-hes-going-to-find-a-weakness/

And again with the Globe:
On the Brady/Belichick and Patriot dynasty if they win
"The thing I like about them is that they've been able to do it with different teams. Obviously there's a connection between him and Bill and that's probably the biggest key. When you have that connection with the quarterback, you can make things work with just about whoever you've got. It doesn't matter."
On Eli Manning
"He's in the same boat. He doesn't really have to. Everybody wants him to win another Super Bowl to have to prove something. I'm not sure why. Obviously the more you win the better you feel. He didn't come here to lose. I actually believe they've (the Giants) got the better team."
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...02/joe_montana_on.html?camp=misc:on:twit:pats

I'll save any suspense on this one. NE has opted to defer every time they've won the coin toss since Tom returned from the knee injury. That's a lock.

Back