Schedule

TipRoast

The years teach much which the days never know.
Reaction score
Each year, every team plays a balanced schedule. Four 1st place teams from the previous year, four 2nd place teams, four 3rd place teams, and four 4th place teams.

The Pats schedule was front-loaded this year, with two of the 1st place teams in the first three games (Arizona and Houston). All that is left is Pittsburgh and Denver.

It's interesting that three of those first place games are road games. One might think that the league was trying to stack the deck against the Pats.

I put just as much into this as I do to Hawks fans commenting we're playing them after our bye.

Each year, every team plays a balanced schedule. Four 1st place teams from the previous year, four 2nd place teams, four 3rd place teams, and four 4th place teams.

The Pats schedule was front-loaded this year, with two of the 1st place teams in the first three games (Arizona and Houston). All that is left is Pittsburgh and Denver.

It's interesting that three of those first place games are road games. One might think that the league was trying to stack the deck against the Pats.

And the front-loading being at a time when TFB was very apt to be out.

As conspiracy theories go, this looks pretty damn good to me (and it makes the FU Rodger bigger, better and even more fun.

Cheers

Isn't the schedule made out years ahead of time?

Not by date and location. The League can put your scheduled games wherever they want. So long as you get the required teams plus 8 home and 8 road.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure teams have input in the schedule. There could be concerts or other sporting events already scheduled which football games would have to work around.

I'm pretty sure teams have input in the schedule. There could be concerts or other sporting events already scheduled which football games would have to work around.

Sure, but after working around the schedule, the League still is totally in control.

Say there's a concert in Arizona week 2 and the league wants to screw the Pats early on. The league sends the Pats there week one instead and uses week 2 to screw them someplace else. :shrug:

Cheers

The locations of the games are mapped out for years to come. There's no conspiracy in terms of home and away games.

I can tell you right now that in 2017, besides the Pats divisional games, they will play @Denver, @Oakland, @New Orleans, @Tampa, home vs. Kansas City, San Diego, Carolina, Atlanta. They will play @AFCN, home vs AFCS designated opponents based on finish.

The locations of the games are mapped out for years to come. There's no conspiracy in terms of home and away games.

I can tell you right now that in 2017, besides the Pats divisional games, they will play @Denver, @Oakland, @New Orleans, @Tampa, home vs. Kansas City, San Diego, Carolina, Atlanta. They will play @AFCN, home vs AFCS designated opponents based on finish.

My Bad. Thanks.

But league still controls dates and times so forth and can absolutely wield a heavy hand ( should they so choose).

Not by date and location. The League can put your scheduled games wherever they want. So long as you get the required teams plus 8 home and 8 road.

Cheers
I knew that. I thogught we were talking about teams played but now I see it's about timing. I guess which is worse: having a slate of tough games to start the season, or the tough games down teh stretch

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

My Bad. Thanks.

But league still controls dates and times so forth and can absolutely wield a heavy hand ( should they so choose).
They wouldn't do that. It would be unfair.

Can they get Denver in NE in the regular season?

Can they get Denver in NE in the regular season?

They had Denver at home in '14 (the big comeback win).

In '18 and '19, they will play the AFCW opponent at home. In 2020, they will definitely be playing Denver at home as part of the regular 3 year rotation.

I think it was the opposite. I think they gave the Pats 3 home games to benefit them and not hurt them. The NFL could have easily had the first four be:

at Arizona
Seattle
at Pittsburgh
Jets

I think they gave the Pats a break to be honest.

I feel just the opposite. Having 3 of 4 games at home and two being against the crappy Fins and Bills is about the best gift the schedulers could have given us. Of course it has worked out even better because the Cards appear to have taken a step back as Palmer is nowhere near his form from last year and the Texans are not close to the Pats league. If we had to play at Denver and at Pitt the first four weeks would have been much harder IMO.

Talking about schedules....

If the current MLB standings hold, with the Red Sox as no.2 in the AL and Cleveland No.3, then Boston will be in Cleveland playing game 3 on October 9th the same day the Pats are playing the Browns!

Talking about schedules....

If the current MLB standings hold, with the Red Sox as no.2 in the AL and Cleveland No.3, then Boston will be in Cleveland playing game 3 on October 9th the same day the Pats are playing the Browns!

As cool as that would be, I'm hoping the Sox get the 1 seed.

Also, does anyone know when they start flexing games into the Sunday night schedule? Last night's game was a joke.

We are scraping the bottom of the conspiracy theory barrel when we start going after the schedule makers. Almost seems like taking a crack at going after equipment violations or something. I think the Texans are reporting that there was no hot water in the visiting team locker room. Lets get a thread going.

Also, does anyone know when they start flexing games into the Sunday night schedule? Last night's game was a joke.

I want to say after Thanksgiving? Both night games have terrible for a while. Also Thursday has been awful since it started

I want to say after Thanksgiving? Both night games have terrible for a while. Also Thursday has been awful since it started

It begins Week 5 which is currently Giants @ Packers.

Back