Science Fiction and Fantasy Art

Different style, but Mike Mignola's Hellboy (and other of his titles like Baltimore) is absolutely astonishing.

latest

I like lots of fantasy/sword and sorcery art. That said, I don't have any of it framed and hanging on the wall in my house. Over the last 20+ years, I could count on one hand how many times I had it as a background on any of my computers. Occasionally, I will search about for a look at some of it.

Anyway, My favorite is Vargas. I like Hajime Sorayama, Frank Frazetta, even some of Gieger's stuff is worth a look.

I suppose if I had to say what I like most, it's scantily clad women. Whats not to like with that.

Anyway, My favorite is Vargas. I like Hajime Sorayama, Frank Frazetta, even some of Gieger's stuff is worth a look.

I suppose if I had to say what I like most, it's scantily clad women. Whats not to like with that.

Giger's work was used for ELP's Brain Salad Surgery album. Very cool.

ELP_-_Brain_Salad_Surgery.jpg

I'm familiar with Vargas and Frazetta, but not Sorayama (until now).
I just took a quick look - I can see, based on your closing comment, why you like his work. :D

Boris Vallejo has an impressive portfolio. His Conan work is quite nice, but represents just a fraction of his output. We'll be coming back to Boris in future posts from me, and perhaps from others.

2.jpg

yAKxp8R.jpg

60e1cdda37db8e6458103ab7e1d3f704.jpg

Beat me to it...one of the best.

Also, H. R. Giger...

Giger's work was used for ELP's Brain Salad Surgery album. Very cool.

ELP_-_Brain_Salad_Surgery.jpg

I'm familiar with Vargas and Frazetta, but not Sorayama (until now).
I just took a quick look - I can see, based on your closing comment, why you like his work. :D

http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/the-album-covers-of-hr-giger

He made Jonathan Davis's (Korn) mic stand...

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

Ken Kelly

The original hard cover book art for Thomas Covenant was pretty cool.

lfb4.jpg

004551_1bfc5448a935009118efc0e3c2ae902d.jpg

revelstone.jpg

The original hard cover book art for Thomas Covenant was pretty cool.
Indeed they were. Good find.

Here are the covers from the first paperback editions of the Foundation trilogy. They too were very nice, I think.

bq6pa8vatilk6dlagsna.jpg

I started reading SF about age 12 (50 years ago).

I had a nice collection of paperbacks, and read just about everything my local library had.

Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke were well-represented, of course, but also Poul Anderson, Gordon Dickson, Ray Bradbury, Frank Herbert, Frederick Pohl, Phillip K. Dick, Damon Knight, Kate Wilhelm, Roger Zelazny, Samuel Delany, Madeleine L'Engle, and Alfred Bester. And dozens of others (including Jules Verne and H.G. Wells). And my collection started with Larry Niven's "Neutron Star" collection of short stories, when I was 14 or so.

For a the first few years, I concentrated mostly on what is called "hard" SF. I didn't really start reading a lot of fantasy until my late teens - Tolkein, of course, and then Donaldson, followed by many, many others.

Anyway, here are some of the classic covers that I recall having in my initial collection.

28141_heinlein-robert_the-moon-is-a-harsh-mistress.jpg
71780fd2692494bf885e7334fa5ea7a5.jpg
glory4.jpg

50bb2d786409f341c8b375726c320609.jpg
dune8l.jpg
220px-Cities_in_Flight.jpg
220px-Ringworld(1stEd).jpg

Boris Vallejo has some good stuff as well although he makes the women a bit too muscular.

Well, there's a reason for that - it's what he's used to seeing.

Boris is married to Julie Bell. Julie is a former bodybuilder, model, and is a well-known fantasy artist as well.

Here's are some nice samples of Julie's work:

3b35dc7140b8bec52349329ea8103a36.jpg

JLM-Julie-Bell-Tiger-Magic.jpg

J-726-A.jpg

Ed Emshwiller did many, many covers during the heyday of pulp fiction. Here are a few of his that I like:

screen-shot-2014-03-04-at-10-17-17-am.png

Emsh%20Asimov's%20End%20of%20Eternity%201963-8x6.jpg

emsh%20medium%20singing%20statues%20fantastic%20july%201962.JPG

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Larry Elmore for the win

Just had a chance to check out his work. Very nice, indeed.

Some of those images will be gracing these pages, methinks.

Back