Searching for Corey Dillon's replacement....

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
I think Corey will carry the load for this year, and may be able to take us through next year as well.

But he is close.

Now, we all know that we've done well with merely adequate runningbacks in the past. Obviously, however, the offense is a lot more versatile with a runningback who is a threat. As we've learned from Belioli, it's never too early to groom a replacement.

So I'm looking to the draft at runningbacks. I know that Belioli haven't shown the propensity to take runningbacks early (in 5 drafts, they've taken 4, one of which is still with the team: Pass in round 7, Redmond in round 2, Womack in round 7, Cobbs in round 4.) But let's toss some names out there that maybe we should be watching. Some will shout that "so-and-so is a top 5 pick!" But so was Vince Wilfork in 2003.

We'll start with the current college dynasty in the making, two candidates there:

Reggie Bush (JR) - Everybody's favorite, Bush has the afterburners, but might not be an everydown back at the NFL level. Or you could miss out on the next Marshall Faulk by thinking that. His body has been protected from a lot of beatings thus far because the USC OL is just much better than their opposition on most weeks, as well as because of LenDale White (see below).
His numbers (which are likely inflated due to the USC factor): 71 for 601 (8.46 ypc) 6 TDs, 120.2 ypg.

LenDale White (JR) - First of all, LenDale? As many of you knkow, I have a rule about not trusting anyone with two first names. Tony George and Guss Scott get a negative from me. What do I do about a guy with two first names as a first name? Anyway, he's Bush's partner in crime - less jive and more power, but still with good moves. Great leg drive.
The numb3rs (likely inflated): 81 for 616 (7.6), 10 TDs 123.20 ypg.

Lawrence Maroney (JR), Minnesota - This kid is GOOD. He passes the "Flagg Test" parts one, two, and three. Part one is a low center of gravity. This kid is 5'11", 220. Check. Part two is equal productivity against top competition and poor sisters. Check. His one sub-100 yard game was against Penn State, while he lit up Perdue and Michigan. Part three is ability to be a workhorse. Check. 46 carries against Perdue? Sheesh. Not a receiver.
The numbers: 165 for 875 (5.30), 7 TD, 145.83 ypg.

Jerome Harrison, Washington State - Super-fast home-run hitter who is carrying Washington State, but may only be a 3rd down back in the NFL. His biggest strength is his quickness to the hole, his biggest weakness is that he doesn't wait for his blockers. Highly productive, hasn't dropped below the 100 ypg mark once this year (nor last year once he got the gig full time) and averages 25 carries/game. Beat up pretty bad on UCLA (away), willing the team to a 3 point victory on the strength of his 42 for 247/3 performance.
His numbers: 125 for 741 (5.93) 9TD, 148.20 ypg

DeAngelo Williams, Memphis - Watch this kid. Got great moves, good speed, can catch, good size and power. One of those guys you look at and get intimidated by the athleticism. Three games of 200 yards plus, though competition is a question so far. His only game with less than 20 carries Memphis was on the wrong side of a blowout so didn't run as much - and he still went 14 for 137.
There's a video of him floating around on the net, a great run vs. UTEP where he cuts back and shows great open field awareness.
His numbers: 123 for 885 (7.2) 8 TD, 177.00 ypg.

Antonio Warren, Arkansas St. - May fly under the radar a little because of the school. Just suffered an injury. In the 13 games leading up to his injury, Warren only dropped below 90 yards in one game and that includes the game in which he was injured (8 for 143, 1). He's a little bit of a mystery. He isn't really fast, nor really big. He's pretty quick, but not excessively so. Hard to say why he's so successful, and yet he averages close to 9 ypc, while playing pretty decent competition (OK St., Missouri, etc.) Mysteriously productive players seem to be favorites of Belioli.
His numbers: 60 for 524 (8.73), 4TD, 131.00 ypg

Mike Bush (JR), Louiville - Not my kind of back. Regardless, he's productive and versatile, with experience at RB, FB, QB, and WR. Think Kordell Stewart, but a little slower and much bigger (6'2", 250). Not sure how he projects, but he's a little too upright a runner for my tastes. A little ponderous, which gets you killed in the NFL. Not enough power to get away with that, though he DOES have a nose for the endzone - hasn't had fewer than 2 TDs in any game so far.
His numbers: 94 for 527 (5.61), 11TD, 105.40 ypg

There's a start. I may add some others if I get inspired.

I'd be happy if they drafted nothing but Linebackers (or DEs they could convert) and Cornerbacks. We need help ASAP there.
________
weed bubblers

dchester said:
I'd be happy if they drafted nothing but Linebackers (or DEs they could convert) and Cornerbacks. We need help ASAP there.

I second that motion.

But malroney from Minnisota is quite a treat to watch. I'll go with him. Then again, the golden gophers had like a 3 headed rushing monster last year....I forget the others...some arab named dude...or maybe that was the QB?

But I digress, LB's and corners and safeties OH MY!!!!

What is this thread all about?! All I can see is DonMoreaus Sig.
Horay for :Ohbaby: :Ohbaby: :Ohbaby:

DonMoreaus sig is ummm distracting to say the least...

anyway...

Reggie Bush? Only if the entire league sleeps through their picks.... Minnesota stylie!

If we were to take a RB..and it were my choice... I take lendal White..that kid is better then Bush.

But if it were up to me....id take a SS.......Darnell Bing outta USC

How about this kid?

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1011runningback-record11-ON.html

Running back loses 2 yards from record performance

Associated Press
Oct. 11, 2005 08:50 AM

HARBORCREEK, Pa. - High school running back Stephen Blose still had a great day - but not quite has good as he thought.

Stephen set a single-game Pennsylvania high school rushing record with 488 yards Friday, as Harbor Creek defeated Fort LeBeouf, 56-22.

School officials originally said the senior gained 490 yards, but two yards were taken away after a review of the game films.

Stephen scored on six of his record-breaking runs. But that wasn't the end of it. Stephen had total of 44 points, because he also kicked eight extra points.

Good post, Flagg.

Doesn't sound like a real big year for RBs and I'm in the camp that thinks Reggie Bush won't last very long as an everyday back.

We may not need a big ticket RB right away, but we definitely need some depth there in the short term.

Borges' article about running backs after age 30 a few weeks ago was sobering, but seems to have had the effect of lighting a fire under Dillon's ass to prove him wrong.

I hope that fire can burn for the next two years, but Dillon has taken an awful lot of hits.

If the juniors come out, it won't be a bad crop I think.

BTW, I found the video of DeAngelo Williams

...and for what its worth, I'm not a big Reggie Bush fan. Boom/Bust pick if you ask me.

Of course, my track record on running backs is not exactly terrific.

I think saying "boom/bust" fits Bush perfectly. He has all the tools to be Marshal Faulk II, but he all the tools to be KEvin Faulk as well. (not bad, but damn sure no first rounder) I too would go with Lindell White. I love watching that guy run.

Back