So What About Jarrett Stidham

Learn more about Jarrett Stidham who is our QB, at least for now.

Real life Friday Night Lights. HS in Texas

You'll find out some things about JS by watching this - his maturity, his humble nature, how he handles pressure and his ability. Damn, if only his HS team had had a defense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=180&v=pSGGYOvv7WU&feature=emb_logo

As a freshman starting at Baylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMlShMGL_rc

At Auburn. Mostly his great 1st season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoYUNiWJhVg

Finally his Patriots preseason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2J7xa7yqjQ

Another former teammate, Ben Watson, with nothing to gain, talks about Stidham.

“I’ve seen a lot of guys who come in with a lot of hype who didn’t pan out,” the 39-year-old said during an appearence on FS1’s First Things First last month. “I’ve seen guys who came in under the radar and turned into superstars. Stidham has all that there needs to be for somebody who’s going to be very successful. He’s a student of the game. You hear that a lot, but what that really means is that when we’re in the meeting rooms, he’s paying attention.”
“He’s eager to learn, and he has a certain humility about him, with confidence. He had a chance to learn under arguably the greatest quarterback to play the game. He soaked that in for a year.

"Patriots fans should be confident that he wouldn’t be in that room if Coach [Bill] Belichick didn’t think he could help the team,” Watson continued about Tom Brady’s presumptive heir.

Mike Lombari on Stidham and a shorted preseaon

"As for how the Patriots will be in 2020? Lombardi believes things are in place for them to be better than some expect."

This is good news to me, as I thought the only thing that could derail Stidham other than the brutal schedule would be not having time to work with the first team offense in training camp. I should have know our Quarterback Whisperer was on the job:

How Patriots will make sure Jarrett Stidham is ready for Week 1 if training camp is shortened, altered

excerpt:

Appearing on Ordway, Merloni & Fauria Thursday, former Patriots executive Mike Lombardi explained how Bill Belichick and Co. will make sure Stidham is ready.

“I think you put him under a lot of pressure situations as best you can in practice," he said. "I think you have to turn the heat up on him. You have to throw volume at him. You have to see if he can respond. I mean, that is what they will do. They will make sure he can handle it every single day. It will not be a picnic. It will not be fun. He’ll come in, (he’s) going to have to do his job. It’s no different — they put pressure on Navy SEALs every single day when they are in training. That is exactly what happens. They are going to do that every single day.”

As for how the Patriots will be in 2020? Lombardi believes things are in place for them to be better than some expect.

“The reality to me is the Patriots are a three-dimensional team," he said. "They play really well in the kicking game. They play really well on defense and they play really well on offense. And they find ways to win games depending on who their opponent is. I believe they also do things that most NFL teams don’t. I know this is going to sound really, really simple, but they don’t lose games before they play them. They don’t give games away. I think in the NFL if you don’t give games away, you have a chance to win seven or eight games alone. I think they have too great of a coach, too great of a coaching staff to think they are going to win five or six games.”

"As for how the Patriots will be in 2020? Lombardi believes things are in place for them to be better than some expect."

This is good news to me, as I thought the only thing that could derail Stidham other than the brutal schedule would be not having time to work with the first team offense in training camp. I should have know our Quarterback Whisperer was on the job:

How Patriots will make sure Jarrett Stidham is ready for Week 1 if training camp is shortened, altered

excerpt:

Appearing on Ordway, Merloni & Fauria Thursday, former Patriots executive Mike Lombardi explained how Bill Belichick and Co. will make sure Stidham is ready.

“I think you put him under a lot of pressure situations as best you can in practice," he said. "I think you have to turn the heat up on him. You have to throw volume at him. You have to see if he can respond. I mean, that is what they will do. They will make sure he can handle it every single day. It will not be a picnic. It will not be fun. He’ll come in, (he’s) going to have to do his job. It’s no different — they put pressure on Navy SEALs every single day when they are in training. That is exactly what happens. They are going to do that every single day.”

As for how the Patriots will be in 2020? Lombardi believes things are in place for them to be better than some expect.

“The reality to me is the Patriots are a three-dimensional team," he said. "They play really well in the kicking game. They play really well on defense and they play really well on offense. And they find ways to win games depending on who their opponent is. I believe they also do things that most NFL teams don’t. I know this is going to sound really, really simple, but they don’t lose games before they play them. They don’t give games away. I think in the NFL if you don’t give games away, you have a chance to win seven or eight games alone. I think they have too great of a coach, too great of a coaching staff to think they are going to win five or six games.”

I have not seen too many people say the pats are going to win 5 or 6 games. I have seen 9-7 or 8-8, which for a team that is expected to win the superbowl every year, that is a step back. SO not sure what better than expected will be. Expected by who?

Ha, well I’m probably in the minority but looking at that schedule I don’t see more than 6 wins. I’m very excited for stidham, but jeez, what happens if eddleman gets injured? The run game needs to get a lot better, and I’m not sure it will. Stidham is going into a pretty bad situation. I just hope he can show enough to stick around.

I’m going to judge the success of this season on his development. Not wins or losses.

Ha, well I’m probably in the minority but looking at that schedule I don’t see more than 6 wins.

Ha, I'm probably in the minority also, but at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm looking for the Pats to go deeper into the playoffs in 2020 than last year. The schedule is tough, brutal even, and if you saw Mike Reiss's article this morning our skill positions haven't changed much. Still, the next man up has worked for the Pats for years. Remember when Milloy got cut just before the 2003 season? I was on patsfans then, not here, but there were predictions for an 0-16 season. We went 14-2 the next two years with two superbowl victories as Charger cast-off Rodney Harrison took over Milloy's job.

...jeez, what happens if eddleman gets injured? The run game needs to get a lot better, and I’m not sure it will. Stidham is going into a pretty bad situation. I just hope he can show enough to stick around.
Always look on the bright side of life.

Well I suppose the bright side is if they do make the playoffs the games won’t be against much better opponents than in the regular season

And who gets in is pretty watered down these days.

Well I suppose the bright side is if they do make the playoffs the games won’t be against much better opponents than in the regular season

There's a lot of truth to the strength of opponents. Just winning the division will be a major battle. It's possible the creampuff schedule they had last year didn't do them any favors once they were in the playoffs. During the season we beat the easy teams and lost to the contenders, and in the playoffs they're all contenders.

They only added one team to the playoff roster, right? 13 teams per conference instead of 12? Not a big deal IMO. And division leaders always made it in. I'm hoping for another home playoff game this year (but with better results).

If the pats get in it will be because its watered down. They are trying their best to ruin football by letting everyone in. We are going to see a lot more 8-8 and 7-9 teams in, and when this happens the media goes into a bitch fest.

No respect for Stidham today (Monday) in the media.

In The Athletic, a website I generally like, gambler VIc Trafur tells would-be bettors to take the over (for wins) because the Pats will go 10-6 under Hoyer who gets the starting job:

New England Patriots — over 9, -110

Bill Belichick won 11 games with Matt Cassel the last time he didn’t have Tom Brady, and people are also forgetting that the Patriots won 12 games last season with a pretty mediocre version of Brady. I think Brian Hoyer wins the QB job and is good enough for the defense to lead the Patriots to 10 wins.

And ESPN Boston, where I look for Mike Reiss articles, I didn't choose wisely. Yes I know this piece is by Bill Barnwell but I SWEAR i didn't see his name until after I read this excerpt:

What went wrong: The Patriots had Brady at quarterback, and now they have Jarrett Stidham. Even a diminished Brady would still project to be a playoff-caliber quarterback with the sort of defense this team had in 2019; the same thing isn't clear with Stidham, who appears to be the Week 1 starter. Losing Brady is one thing, but the Pats neglecting to make a meaningful move for someone like Andy Dalton seems shortsighted and stubborn.

Blah, blah, blah. All these sports writers conveniently forget the records of the clubs that jettisoned the likes of Dalton, Winston and Newton. Yet we should blow up our salary cap (which we wouldn't do for TFB) and go get them.

Blah, blah, blah. All these sports writers conveniently forget the records of the clubs that jettisoned the likes of Dalton, Winston and Newton. Yet we should blow up our salary cap (which we wouldn't do for TFB) and go get them.
Why pay for these failures of a QB? I too do not understand the logic to busting cap space, the patriots DO NOT have, over a suck ass, washed up, qb or someone who doesn't make the correct reads.

I know, just amazed that these guys can't see that. Especially saying we should have gone after Dalton. "Hey, here's a guy that went 2-14. Why didn't stupid Belichick sign him?"

Newton and Winston, also, but especially dalton.

I know, just amazed that these guys can't see that. Especially saying we should have gone after Dalton. "Hey, here's a guy that went 2-14. Why didn't stupid Belichick sign him?"

Newton and Winston, also, but especially dalton.

I don't think the media cares if they go to the pats other than it would give them stories to write about. Thats basically what the media is made up of now. Give hot take and run. Reporting is out the window. If they bothered to look what a train wreck it would be for the pats to get Cam, they wouldnt print it, but thats not what they care about.

Belichick knows Stidham has the goods. I think he's going to have some bumps early, but by November he'll be just as good (if not better) than any QB in the division. The sky is the limit for this kid

Belichick knows Stidham has the goods. I think he's going to have some bumps early, but by November he'll be just as good (if not better) than any QB in the division. The sky is the limit for this kid

Maybe. Of course Belichick thought Tavon Wilson was good too at one point. I think he will be fine, but you cannot really tell until it happens, I mean I would hope he can be better than whats in our division.

Belichick knows Stidham has the goods.

And so should that idiot who wrote the article. Barnwell doesn't like BB and just had a kneejerk reaction instead of thinking.

It's easy to see what BB thinks of Stidham.

Stidham beat out Hoyer for the back up job as a rookie.
BB didn't sign any of the name A QBs, not even to provide competition.
BB didn't draft a QB, not even to provide competition to stidham.

Stidham still has to earn the job, but if his competition is only Hoyer, whom he beat out last year, Belicheck's thought processes are on display.

Good god space.

You made fun of middie on Brady relentlessly. He won 6 SBs.

Let’s see if this kid starts a game before he continues with your tongue bath.

Good god space.

You made fun of middie on Brady relentlessly. He won 6 SBs.

Let’s see if this kid starts a game before he continues with your tongue bath.

Low blow, Dwight. I was agreeing with a poster, not arguing with anyone or pressing anything on anyone or attacking anyone for disagreeing with me. Just agreeing and expanding on what another poster said.

I've never agreed with those who thought you cannot champion anyone until they prove themselves in a game. It's fine IMO to project how a player will do. As I said, he still has to earn the start, but BB's thought processes are pretty clear to me.

Low blow, Dwight. I was agreeing with a poster, not arguing with anyone or pressing anything on anyone or attacking anyone for disagreeing with me. Just agreeing and expanding on what another poster said.

I've never agreed with those who thought you cannot champion anyone until they prove themselves in a game. It's fine IMO to project how a player will do. As I said, he still has to earn the start, but BB's thought processes are pretty clear to me.

No space.

Every post regarding Stid sets off an equivalent bat signal eerily familiar to middies on TFB, with a subsequent defense post.

Let’s just see if he beats out Hoyer.

You’re not the starting QB until you are.

Back