So What About Jarrett Stidham

And so should that idiot who wrote the article. Barnwell doesn't like BB and just had a kneejerk reaction instead of thinking.

It's easy to see what BB thinks of Stidham.

Stidham beat out Hoyer for the back up job as a rookie.
BB didn't sign any of the name A QBs, not even to provide competition.
BB didn't draft a QB, not even to provide competition to stidham.

Stidham still has to earn the job, but if his competition is only Hoyer, whom he beat out last year, Belicheck's thought processes are on display.

I think it was more about BB has to see what Stidham is and not that he knows what he is. There was no point in drafting another QB they already had him and there was no point in bringing in some 32 year old QB and still not know what Stidham is. I am not saying he will not be good, but I doubt BB knows that either, because nobody knows until he plays. Its pointless to draft a QB or bring one in until you find out what Stidham is.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Low blow, Dwight. I was agreeing with a poster, not arguing with anyone or pressing anything on anyone or attacking anyone for disagreeing with me. Just agreeing and expanding on what another poster said.

I've never agreed with those who thought you cannot champion anyone until they prove themselves in a game. It's fine IMO to project how a player will do. As I said, he still has to earn the start, but BB's thought processes are pretty clear to me.

BB's though processes are, he has to see what Stidham is. There is no point in drafting another QB or bringing anything in until you know what he is. They dont know, nobody could know. I dont care about much you think you know, nobody knows because he has not freaking played. This notion that BB thinks he has a hall of famer is silly. BB just knows he has to find out what he can do before he does anything else. He is the QB they drafted, he has been with the team a year, he has looked good in practice, that is all they know. You find out all the rest when you actually play. Just like every player in the NFL. At one point BB liked all players enough to draft them, some high and they didnt do anything. Its not an exact science, its trial and error. BB is great at drafting Defensive players, offensive players, he is just ok, so lets wait and see.

I sincerely hope that Stidham has the goods, and that he is able to mature into an elite NFL QB. I'm excited by what I've seen so far, but I'm tempering my expectations for two different reasons:

1) Frankly, you don't know what you have until they play in actual game environments and the pressure is on. Plenty of QBs have been broken by a bad first game or two shaking their confidence, and plenty more look great in practice but the game just moves too fast for them on the actual field. Not AT ALL saying this will be Stidham, but if you bet on a QB without game experience being a star every time, you'll lose a lot more wagers than you will win. Belichick would be the first to say that you don't know what you have until you start building some game film. So, my expectations will be tempered.

2) It doesn't seem fair to him to expect too much, too fast. If we expect the world, then mediocrity seems a letdown, and the clamoring for another option will begin early. If we expect nothing, mediocrity seems a blessing, and we can tolerate early mistakes while allowing time for him to develop. Obviously Belichick cares nothing for the clamoring and will do what he does regardless, but I don't want to contribute to an environment that makes it harder for other fans by constantly whinging about how bad our QB is just because I set my expectations too high. So, my expectations will be tempered.

I'm glad there is a Stidham hype train. I have total faith that BB will do his best to build the best team he can, and if he feels Stidham is the way to go, I trust that to be the case. I just don't see the benefit to expecting a star when we neither need him to be one to be competitive nor have proof yet that he will be one.

I sincerely hope that Stidham has the goods, and that he is able to mature into an elite NFL QB. I'm excited by what I've seen so far, but I'm tempering my expectations for two different reasons:

1) Frankly, you don't know what you have until they play in actual game environments and the pressure is on. Plenty of QBs have been broken by a bad first game or two shaking their confidence, and plenty more look great in practice but the game just moves too fast for them on the actual field. Not AT ALL saying this will be Stidham, but if you bet on a QB without game experience being a star every time, you'll lose a lot more wagers than you will win. Belichick would be the first to say that you don't know what you have until you start building some game film. So, my expectations will be tempered.

2) It doesn't seem fair to him to expect too much, too fast. If we expect the world, then mediocrity seems a letdown, and the clamoring for another option will begin early. If we expect nothing, mediocrity seems a blessing, and we can tolerate early mistakes while allowing time for him to develop. Obviously Belichick cares nothing for the clamoring and will do what he does regardless, but I don't want to contribute to an environment that makes it harder for other fans by constantly whinging about how bad our QB is just because I set my expectations too high. So, my expectations will be tempered.

I'm glad there is a Stidham hype train. I have total faith that BB will do his best to build the best team he can, and if he feels Stidham is the way to go, I trust that to be the case. I just don't see the benefit to expecting a star when we neither need him to be one to be competitive nor have proof yet that he will be one.

Excellent post, GO. I agree with every thought.

I think it was more about BB has to see what Stidham is and not that he knows what he is. There was no point in drafting another QB they already had him and there was no point in bringing in some 32 year old QB and still not know what Stidham is. I am not saying he will not be good, but I doubt BB knows that either, because nobody knows until he plays. Its pointless to draft a QB or bring one in until you find out what Stidham is.

This notion that BB thinks he has a hall of famer is silly. BB just knows he has to find out what he can do before he does anything else. He is the QB they drafted, he has been with the team a year, he has looked good in practice, that is all they know. You find out all the rest when you actually play. Just like every player in the NFL. At one point BB liked all players enough to draft them, some high and they didnt do anything. Its not an exact science, its trial and error. BB is great at drafting Defensive players, offensive players, he is just ok, so lets wait and see.

A good, logical post, P71. Kudos.

I'll differ slightly on one point - more a clarification, really. BB knows what Stidham is now; what BB doesn't know is what he can become with time. Iow, so far, so good. Stidham has shown BB that he has the base mental qualities to take his game higher. How much higher is the great unknown. BB will soon find out if Stidham can continue to progress and we'll all be witness. Baby steps.

Maybe. Of course Belichick thought Tavon Wilson was good too at one point. I think he will be fine, but you cannot really tell until it happens, I mean I would hope he can be better than whats in our division.

Wilson was a safety so it's not really comparable (BB clearly has a blind spot in drafting Dbacks and WRs for that matter). Belichick has done very well in developing QB's overall so for him to put all his eggs in this kid's basket has me confident he'll do well.

Excellent post, GO. I agree with every thought.

A good, logical post, P71. Kudos.

I'll differ slightly on one point - more a clarification, really. BB knows what Stidham is now; what BB doesn't know is what he can become with time. Iow, so far, so good. Stidham has shown BB that he has the base mental qualities to take his game higher. How much higher is the great unknown. BB will soon find out if Stidham can continue to progress and we'll all be witness. Baby steps.

Well thank you, it happens on occasion. o:)

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Wilson was a safety so it's not really comparable (BB clearly has a blind spot in drafting Dbacks and WRs for that matter). Belichick has done very well in developing QB's overall so for him to put all his eggs in this kid's basket has me confident he'll do well.

He has? He had 1 starting Qb for 20 years. He isnt putting all anything into a basket. Belichick is not in the hot seat if the team fails this year. He has the option to see what a QB can do before evaluating what to do. They drafted him and they have to see what he will do in real games, there was no point in bringing in some vet and him not playing, we are not trying to win 9 games so he can keep his job. Nor was there any point in drafting a QB because thats the same issue. Also, no Belichick drafts guys and tries to develope them and they make it or they dont. QB is no different. I can name you a few that were here. Right now, the process is, Stidham plays and we see what happens. Bill knows what he has to a point, but you cannot evaluate a player fully until they play, and Bill has said this himself.

Well thank you, it happens on occasion. o:)

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

He has? He had 1 starting Qb for 20 years. He isnt putting all anything into a basket. Belichick is not in the hot seat if the team fails this year. He has the option to see what a QB can do before evaluating what to do. They drafted him and they have to see what he will do in real games, there was no point in bringing in some vet and him not playing, we are not trying to win 9 games so he can keep his job. Nor was there any point in drafting a QB because thats the same issue. Also, no Belichick drafts guys and tries to develope them and they make it or they dont. QB is no different. I can name you a few that were here. Right now, the process is, Stidham plays and we see what happens. Bill knows what he has to a point, but you cannot evaluate a player fully until they play, and Bill has said this himself.

Well, he did develop a 6th round QB into the best of all time. He turned a guy who barely played in college (Cassell) into a NFL starter. He developed Jimmy into a starter and Super Bowl QB. He developed Brissett into an NFL starter. Yeah, besides that, I guess he's done nothing.

Despite your laughably bad take, I'm willing to give Belichick the benefit of the doubt with his history of developing QB's.

Well, he did develop a 6th round QB into the best of all time. He turned a guy who barely played in college (Cassell) into a NFL starter. He developed Jimmy into a starter and Super Bowl QB. He developed Brissett into an NFL starter. Yeah, besides that, I guess he's done nothing.

Despite your laughably bad take, I'm willing to give Belichick the benefit of the doubt with his history of developing QB's.

Agree.

Show me a current NFL coach with as many guys playing.

Agree.

Show me a current NFL coach with as many guys playing.

Andy Reid? I didnt say Bill sucks, I said he is more of a defensive minded coach and if we have to use Brissett and Cassel as part of his gold standards, I will say, meh. Sometimes the players doing things matter too. Here is a list of QB's the Pats have drafted in 20 years.
Brady
Davey
Kingsbury
Cassel
O'Connel
Zac Robinson
Mallett
JG
Brissett
Etling
Stidham

Now with that said, Belichick is not exactly drafting top 5 QBs every year because he has not had to, but not sure he is exactly the Andy Reid of QB Coaches.
I do find it funny though that people give credit to Bill for Brady, but dont slight him for O'Connel, Kingsbury, Mallett, who were all taken in earlier rounds. Its almost like...maybe the players play a part in how good they are sometimes.

Ding ding ding. Fans always love the backup. I am not sure if they rep a signal of hope that comes along with change, or if people just cannot nitpick them because they never played. But legends are made from backups who never played. By the time poor Stidham takes a snap he will have been called the next great thing, and then they start to play and go through bumps and fans, oh boy they turn fast...all of the sudden the poor guy is getting baked by the media and becomes a punch line on twitter.

This is not something that has been around a long time though, instant media and everyone being able to give their thoughts to the world has ruined sports in a way. I can only imagine how boards and blogs would have treated Montana and Marino and Elway. Ah that damn Elway why did we draft him, he cannot hit the broad side of a barn and he can't win a superbowl!!! Marino sucks in the postseason!!! Montana is a system QB who is only good because of Walsh!!!

Andy Reid? I didnt say Bill sucks, I said he is more of a defensive minded coach and if we have to use Brissett and Cassel as part of his gold standards, I will say, meh. Sometimes the players doing things matter too. Here is a list of QB's the Pats have drafted in 20 years.
Brady
Davey
Kingsbury
Cassel
O'Connel
Zac Robinson
Mallett
JG
Brissett
Etling
Stidham

Now with that said, Belichick is not exactly drafting top 5 QBs every year because he has not had to, but not sure he is exactly the Andy Reid of QB Coaches.
I do find it funny though that people give credit to Bill for Brady, but dont slight him for O'Connel, Kingsbury, Mallett, who were all taken in earlier rounds. Its almost like...maybe the players play a part in how good they are sometimes.

List Reid’s QBs over the last 20 years.

Blah, blah, blah. All these sports writers conveniently forget the records of the clubs that jettisoned the likes of Dalton, Winston and Newton. Yet we should blow up our salary cap (which we wouldn't do for TFB) and go get them.

I seem to recall some media clown chastising BB for drafting Seymour when Kenyatta Walker was available. THE Kenyatta Walker.

:coffee:

I seem to recall some media clown chastising BB for drafting Seymour when Kenyatta Walker was available. THE Kenyatta Walker.

Ron Borges did because that receiver from Michigan wa available.

What the hell's his name? Was drafted a couple of picks after Seymour

David Terrell?

Ron Borges did because that receiver from Michigan wa available.

What the hell's his name? Was drafted a couple of picks after Seymour

David Terrell?

The day after the 2001 NFL Draft, in an excerpt he wishes he never wrote, Ron Borges opined:

On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon.

https://bostonsportsmedia.com/2012/05/05/reach-for-this-guy/

The day after the 2001 NFL Draft, in an excerpt he wishes he never wrote, Ron Borges opined:

On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon.

https://bostonsportsmedia.com/2012/05/05/reach-for-this-guy/

YES!! I remember now. Classic. Borges must really regret that paragraph.

Ian O'Conner blasted Belichick for being belichick. Said it was the worst mistake the pats ever made.

So What About Jarrett Stidham?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hdu9qClTrg

This is, after all, the thread to talk about him.

Interesting that comparisons were made to Brady while he was in HS.

At 4:15, his first pass at Baylor as a starting freshman - the moment's not too big - watch him work the pocket, poised, steps up in the pocket and launches a beautiful 42 yd bomb right on target for a TD.

That end zone fade at 7:54 is a thing of beauty. The effortless delivery, the perfect arc, he drops another dime.

Plunkett, Grogan, Bledsoe, Brady - I'm pumped for this next era of Patriots football.

Here's Stidham's 2017 performance against Alabama who was #1 in the nation - great defense and great DBs who are all in the NFL now, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Shyheim Carter, Trevon Diggs and Anthony Averett. A record 12 players were drafted from that 2017 Bama team. Once again, the moment wasn't too big for Stidham who showed his poised ability throughout the game. 21/28, 288yds and 1 TD against Saban's best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw7ieZlWdGg

Back